Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 properties to be leased in Galway city for asylum seekers

Options
  • 23-09-2020 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1166889/

Saw this earlier.

35 properties to be leased exclusively for asylum seekers in Galway city centre

Separate front doors
    Fully self contained with 1 and 2 bedrooms, Kitchens, living rooms and bathrooms

Meeting rooms and play facilities for children and game rooms for teenagers included.

Huge Accommodation crisis in the country which has massive negative effects on people and this is sorted for asylum seekers - presumably applicants who are NOT recognised refugees - bit odd if this is the priority for housing policy ?

I could say many things but I’ll keep it focused.

Whatever about the merits of providing the housing I have a few concerns.

Will this very generous policy cause a “pull factor” and make Ireland more attractive for asylum seekers ?

Should we expect similar announcements for homeless Irish families soon??? If not, why not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm sure the people who own these houses don't mind at all.
    The asylum housing industry is extremely lucrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

biko wrote: »
    I'm sure the people who own these houses don't mind at all.
    The asylum housing industry is extremely lucrative.

Oh of course. From reading the article it seems these were originally student accom but have been repurposed. The landlords themselves probably charging top rate to the taxpayer for the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

The problem is and always has been the length of time asylum seekers are spending in direct provision centers. There is nothing wrong with direct provision for a short period.

The problem now is people are using the system to start a family and have kids while they are waiting to complicate the whole issue.

Government money would be better spent , fast tracking the whole process and eliminating the appeals process. They either have sufficient evidence or they dont, if they dont put them on the first flight out of here.

Improve the routes for legal migration of qualified individuals and families.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

I'd rather them than some of the Oliver Bond St free house recipients.

These guys will work one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The problem is and always has been the length of time asylum seekers are spending in direct provision centers. There is nothing wrong with direct provision for a short period.

The problem now is people are using the system to start a family and have kids while they are waiting to complicate the whole issue.

Government money would be better spent , fast tracking the whole process and eliminating the appeals process. They either have sufficient evidence or they dont, if they dont put them on the first flight out of here.

Improve the routes for legal migration of qualified individuals and families.

Makes perfect sense but the legal lobby would never allow it.
    Do you have any idea how many legal heads would be unemployed or underemployed if the processing system was firmed up and made faster (whatever the applicant outcome).

Having it drag on and complicated is a staple of the underemployed solicitor and barrister "earnings".

• Advertisement

Pkiernan wrote: »

Why are you so sure of that?

They’ve arrived here and their first move was to claim asylum.

Who knows what their background pre arriving here is.

Then they’ve been handed a lovely new apartment free of charge - all paid for by you and me and the taxpayer.

So the hand out culture is well entrenched already.

Not sure why you think they “will work one day”

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Then they’ve been handed a lovely new apartment free of charge - all paid for by you and me and the taxpayer.

Because theyre not multi generational welfare recipients, and come from countries that don't have our ludicrously loose dole regulations.

They're not used to scrounging for a living.

Also, by applying for asylum they automatically arent allowed to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

Great another thread about immigrants. Do they not deserve a home? They are also just people like us. Maybe start treating people as individuals rather than putting everyone in categories. One person does wrong and cheats the system therefore all immigrants are bad. Put yourself in someone else's shoes for one day, have a bit of empathy.

Because theyre not multi generational welfare recipients, and come from countries that don't have our ludicrously loose dole regulations.

They're not used to scrounging for a living.

Also, by applying for asylum they automatically arent allowed to work.

I’m amazed at how much you know about random asylum seekers

Is it not the case that usually we know very little about who these people are when they arrive in Ireland ?

We are relying on whatever story they want to tell?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Zookey123 wrote: »
    Great another thread about immigrants. Do they not deserve a home? They are also just people like us. Maybe start treating people as individuals rather than putting everyone in categories. One person does wrong and cheats the system therefore all immigrants are bad. Put yourself in someone else's shoes for one day, have a bit of empathy.

Should this not be discussed then?

I am an Irish person paying tax and I cannot afford to buy my own home.

I pay a landlord 1000 euro a month(I am lucky compared to some).

Help me.(I earn more than the threshold for HAP)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

And it's coming to a neighourhood near you soon.
    This is the independent living concept that will be implemented by Roderic O' Gorman, who strangely as minister of children is now in charge of the asylum system in Ireland. He told the Irish Times back in July that change will come quickly. Pity he wasn't talking about the inadequate services for children in Ireland.

The Movement for Asylum Seekers in Ireland (Masi) tell us that asylum seekers should be treated the same as any Irish resident when it comes to housing. Masi’s Bulelani Mfaco says that “If I woke up tomorrow in possession of a letter from the Department of Justice saying I am entitled to stay in Ireland, the local authority would be obliged to provide me with housing”.

This is the mindset that we are dealing with.
    Instead of going out and seeking employment in order to pay for housing like the vast majority of people in this country do, his first move upon getting the letter "entitling" him to stay in Ireland would be for a free house at the tax payer expense.

It's a strange auld world we have here in Ireland. The reality is that we will have to borrow even more money in order to pay for independent living for asylum seekers in this country. And of course not to mention the unfair competition that will exasperated against our kids/nieces/nephews etc. who are trying to find a home during these very challenging times.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

Lots of them work now. If their first instance decision takes more than 9 months (which it does in most cases) they are entitled to a work permit. Many work in food service, cleaning, care assistants etc. Also call centre type jobs where a second language is required. They can then be required to contribute towards their accomodation.

I realise that this is probably the worst place to ask people to show a bit of empathy since it is boards after all. Yeah sure let immigrants be homeless we dont want our tax money going to help a family in need. Most people here seem to know a great deal about immigrants i wonder where this information is coming from , i'm sure its an unbiased source.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

That's generally what people seeking asylum do, seek asylum.

100%. Maybe their whole family was killed in front of them and they're suffering from severe PTSD? Simple answer, you or I do not know.

What would you suggest we do instead?

So to summarise:

People arrive here seeking asylum, shock shock horror - seek asylum.

Government provides said asylum seekers housing.

Equates to:

Dirty scroungers who will never work here and will forever be paid for by the tax payer.

Okay then.

Since you ask - I would suggest a central processing facility convenient to the airport.

Language classes(English and Irish), fetac level training courses, excellent teaching facilities for children and teenagers. Multicultural excellent quality cuisine for residents. Halal and kosher etc options available. Prayer rooms.

Asylum interview - decision - 1 Appeal - either grant or refuse asylum

For the granted ppl have integration classes and generously funded resources so that they can start a productive life in Ireland.

But the flip side for this is that for the refusals deport back to their country with as little delay as possible

All of these guys complaining about immigrants are just sad old men with nothing better to do with their lives.
    See how generalising feels?

I realise that this is probably the worst place to ask people to show a bit of empathy since it is boards after all. Yeah sure let immigrants be homeless we dont want our tax money going to help a family in need. Most people here seem to know a great deal about immigrants i wonder where this information is coming from , i'm sure its an unbiased source.

Are you suggesting this isn't discussed then? (Asking you again)

Charity starts at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,594 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Since you ask - I would suggest a central processing facility convenient to the airport.

Asylum interview - decision - 1 Appeal - either grant or refuse asylum

For the granted ppl have integration classes and generously funded resources so that they can start a productive life in Ireland.

But the flip side for this is that For the refusals deport back to their country with as little delay as possible

We actually fairly much agree then.

Once they are granted asylum after your asylum interview, where do they go housing wise? I suppose that's the big question at the moment.

o1s1n wrote: »
    We actually fairly much agree then.

Once they are granted asylum after your asylum interview, where do they go housing wise? I suppose that's the big question at the moment.

Housing lists same as everyone else I suppose? I don’t know if a fast track option is appropriate

Housing lists same as everyone else I suppose? I don’t know if a fast track option is appropriate

This is what happens currently- if some granted status and is otherwise eligible for social housing supports, they go on the housing list the same as everyone else. There is no fast track option.

• Advertisement

thomas 123 wrote: »
    Are you suggesting this isn't discussed then? (Asking you again)

Charity starts at home.

You want to flog a dead horse go ahead. Dont expect people to not call you out on it though.
    In terms of charity i am more than happy to give my tax to those who need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

Imagine growing up in Ireland with all the advantages that entails and thinking that the reason you can't afford a house is because we take in less than 5000 asylum seekers each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Imagine growing up in Ireland with all the advantages that entails and thinking that the reason you can't afford a house is because we take in less than 5000 asylum seekers each year.

Immigration and housing have a direct relationship. The more people we take in the more it costs to buy or rent a house. Deny it all you want, but it's an obvious fact.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If this is being done in conjunction with speeding up the asylum process, then i'm all for it. As has already been pointed out, the single biggest issue facing the asylum process in Ireland is the length of time it takes - that and how many people are making a living out of this gravy train - private enterprise providing accommodation, legal profession, NGOs.

You want to flog a dead horse go ahead. Dont expect people to not call you out on it though.
    In terms of charity i am more than happy to give my tax to those who need it.

It’s not a dead horse though, it’s a national issue.

As the op has asked will decisions like this be a pull factor for migrants seeking a better life - they absolutely will.

More migrants(illegal or not) will drive up demand for our already burdened housing stock and will demand more resources(healthcare etc) that we do not have.

thomas 123 wrote: »
    It’s not a dead horse though, it’s a national issue.

As the op has asked will decisions like this be a pull factor for migrants seeking a better life - they absolutely will.

More migrants(illegal or not) will drive up demand for our already burdened housing stock and will demand more resources(healthcare etc) that we do not have.

Is it a significant factor in our housing crisis though....?

Would our healthcare sector manage without migrants? From consultants to care assistants and cleaners?

Smee_Again wrote: »

It’s a contributing factor though. Imagine being so ignorant as to think growing up in Ireland is an automatic qualifier to having 30k in savings while paying out 1000 euro plus to rent a house.

- Demand for housing has risen(more landlords, more private stock diverted to social welfare)
    - House/land prices have gone up drastically in the last 20 years.
    - Salaries have not gone up to match

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1166889/

35 properties to be leased exclusively for asylum seekers in Galway city centre
    Huge Accommodation crisis in the country which has massive negative effects on people and this is sorted for asylum seekers - presumably applicants who are NOT recognised refugees - bit odd if this is the priority for housing policy ?

With the covid pandemic, college students were advised to spend the majority of their college week working from home. Also with the pandemic, less tourists are staying in short-term lets there. Because of the conditions of Asylum seekers in DP centers, the government are trying to move them to separated accommodations to reduce the spread of the virus.
    I would have no issue with asylum seekers taking up this accommodation made available.

Because they do. Asylum seekers are a net benefit to economies. The problem is with the politics of allowing them entry and work in our country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

TomTomTim wrote: »
    Immigration and housing have a direct relationship. The more people we take in the more it costs to buy or rent a house. Deny it all you want, but it's an obvious fact.

Of course, and if successive governments hadn't made a mess of the housing market we could take in many more asylum seekers so blame the government, not the poor asylum seeker.

And, anyway, from what I've seen of some posters on here it wouldn't matter how many empty houses there were they would still complain about us taking in any asylum seekers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

The African s are doing great in parts of North Dublin....

Advertisement