Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 properties to be leased in Galway city for asylum seekers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Sonrisa wrote: »
    Is it a significant factor in our housing crisis though....?

Would our healthcare sector manage without migrants? From consultants to care assistants and cleaners?

1. Contributing factor.
    2. People would do those jobs as the conditions and pay would have to be better.

Also I don’t think(correct me if I am wrong) that we have any medical consultants in direct provision. This thread is about asylum seekers not legal or invited migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,894 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The biggest failure here is the fact that the media refuses to ask questions like on this thread. They never do.

Speed up the asylum process, and deport those who do not qualify, that is the quid pro quo for providing own door housing for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

thomas 123 wrote: »
    It’s a contributing factor though. Imagine being so ignorant as to think growing up in Ireland is an automatic qualifier to having 30k in savings while paying out 1000 euro plus to rent a house.

- Demand for housing has risen(more landlords, more private stock diverted to social welfare)
    - House/land prices have gone up drastically in the last 20 years.
    - Salaries have not gone up to match

Who's ignorant? I was born in Ireland and apart from a few years in my 20's have lived here my whole life so I'm well aware of the problems facing people.

I was one of those people paying €1000 a month (well actually €970) while saving for a deposit but all the things you've listed are issues caused by the governments we've elected.

We've created this mess and a few thousand asylum seekers makes damn all difference.

Its actually embarrassing looking at people with very little getting angry at people with nothing get something.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

1. Contributing factor.
    2. People would do those jobs as the conditions and pay would have to be better.

Also I don’t think(correct me if I am wrong) that we have any medical consultants in direct provision. This thread is about asylum seekers not legal or invited migration.

You would be surprised how many migrants work in the health sector where there is also a constant shortage of staff.

Zookey123 wrote: »
    You would be surprised how many migrants work in the health sector where there is also a constant shortage of staff.

I wouldn’t be surprised, however if migrants did not fill those roles the wages and conditions would have to be improved.

On the whole It’s not a good thing that many migrants are the people left to pick up those jobs. On an individual level I do admire and appreciate anyone who does this work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

This has nothing to do with the topic. This is not about being "anti immigrant", it's about the failures of the system in question. People with skills to work in our health service are not likely to be the same people looking for asylum.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

Smee_Again wrote: »
    Who's ignorant? I was born in Ireland and apart from a few years in my 20's have lived here my whole life so I'm well aware of the problems facing people.

I was one of those people paying €1000 a month (well actually €970) while saving for a deposit but all the things you've listed are issues caused by the governments we've elected.

We've created this mess and a few thousand asylum seekers makes damn all difference.

Its actually embarrassing looking at people with very little getting angry at people with nothing get something.

As stated already it’s a contributing factor to those problems.

Maybe if we went through all the issues that “make damm all difference” we would sort a lot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

Maybe if we went through all the issues that “make damm all difference” we would sort a lot out.

Not really no. Huffing and puffing about the insignificant impact of asylum seekers on the housing market just distracts from things that really would make a difference, like local authorities increasing their building programs, and changing development plans to ensure a focus on medium to high density building.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'd rather them than some of the Oliver Bond St free house recipients.

These guys will work one day.

Care to make a bet on that last one ?
    Should this not be discussed then?

I am an Irish person paying tax and I cannot afford to buy my own home.

I pay a landlord 1000 euro a month(I am lucky compared to some).

Help me.(I earn more than the threshold for HAP)

Sorry thomas but to some it is "fook you".
    After all you aren't exotic enough for the usual empathy giving charitable purveyors either on here, on social media or all over our media.

Now if only you were supposedly fleeing a war, from some country south of the Med, East of Israel - mind you not too far East as to be productive and hardworking, a newly created Irish ethnic group, confused about your gender or some such.
    Then the usual suspects would be falling all over themselves to welcome you.

Sonrisa wrote: »
    Not really no. Huffing and puffing about the insignificant impact of asylum seekers on the housing market just distracts from things that really would make a difference, like local authorities increasing their building programs, and changing development plans to ensure a focus on medium to high density building.

So 35 houses in Galway diverted from the private market to asylum seekers is insignificant now? Not to anyone looking for a home to buy or rent in Galway city.

You are correct for sure though - local authorities and the government can do way more for sure but this thread is about the 35 houses right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,105 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ahh yes the doctors, nurses and scientists.

Let me do us all a favour and just get the bingo out of the way.

We had a famine.
    We emigrated a lot to other countries.
    We had the IRA/PIRA.
    We had the awful catholic church full of paedo priests and brothers.
    We need more exotic foods and restaurants.
    And finally we are awfully racist.

PS how many asylum seekers are qualified doctors and nurses?
    And why don't they bother using normal VISA application processes like others?

jmayo wrote: »
    Ahh yes the doctors, nurses and scientists.

Let me do us all a favour and just get the bingo out of the way.

We had a famine.
    We emigrated a lot to other countries.
    We had the IRA/PIRA.
    We had the awful catholic church full of paedo priests and brothers.
    We need more exotic foods and restaurants.
    And finally we are awfully racist.

PS how many asylum seekers are qualified doctors and nurses?
    And why don't they bother using normal VISA application processes like others?

Nearly 50% of Irish doctors are foreign. Should we ignore this fact? A large number of our nurses are also foreign. Stop moaning and actually actively try to improve your own life rather than blame a minority group.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Nearly 50% of Irish doctors are foreign. Should we ignore this fact? A large number of our nurses are also foreign. Stop moaning and actually actively try to improve your own life rather than blame a minority group.

How many doctors came here via the asylum system and are currently working in the health services? If it's more than 0 I'd be very surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1166889/

Saw this earlier.

35 properties to be leased exclusively for asylum seekers in Galway city centre

Separate front doors
    Fully self contained with 1 and 2 bedrooms, Kitchens, living rooms and bathrooms

Meeting rooms and play facilities for children and game rooms for teenagers included.

Huge Accommodation crisis in the country which has massive negative effects on people and this is sorted for asylum seekers - presumably applicants who are NOT recognised refugees - bit odd if this is the priority for housing policy ?

I could say many things but I’ll keep it focused.

Will this very generous policy cause a “pull factor” and make Ireland even more attractive for asylum seekers ?

Should we expect similar announcements for homeless Irish families soon??? If not, why not?

And nothing to help the homeless Irish who are facing another Winter on the Streets. And then these Virtue signalling traitors wonder why anti-immigration sentiments are rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

You'd sort much more out by focusing on the factors that make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

He's right though. You always here that ****e., but but but they are doctors, nurses and engineers

If they are why wouldn't they just apply for a visa they'd most likely be welcomed in quick and easy if positions were in demand.

"Hmmm I'm a doctor in the medical profession, Ireland sounds good, ohh look there's jobs there, sure half the healthcare work force is foreign, maybe I'll apply? Should have a good chance? Nah I'll jump on a rubber dinghy and maybe die in the process then get stuck in an asylum process for 10 years where I can't practice my medical degree :confused:"

Doctors me arse.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    And nothing to help the homeless Irish who are facing another Winter on the Streets. And then these Virtue signalling traitors wonder why anti-immigration sentiments are rising.

Ah the classic whataboutism. What have you done for the homeless. How are we virtue signaling? And traitors haha are you 12?

Ah the classic whataboutism. What have you done for the homeless. How are we virtue signaling? And traitors haha are you 12?

If you're willing to give homes to foreigners that have no business being here while Irish die on the streets then you are a traitor.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    He's right though. You always here that ****e., but but but they are doctors, nurses and engineers

If they are why wouldn't they just apply for a visa they'd most likely be welcomed in quick and easy if positions were in demand.

"Hmmm I'm a doctor in the medical profession, Ireland sounds good, ohh look there's jobs there, sure half the healthcare work force is foreign, maybe I'll apply? Should have a good chance? Nah I'll jump on a rubber dinghy and maybe die in the process then get stuck in an asylum process for 10 years where I can't practice my medical degree :confused:"

Doctors me arse.

Thats a lot of in depth knowledge about someone you have never met.

If you're willing to give homes to foreigners that have no business being here while Irish die on the streets then you are a traitor.

Just because someone support the housing of migrants doesnt mean they support the irish homeless problem. You will actually find its your lot that doesnt give a damn about the homeless problem. You just bring it up when it suits you to batter immigrants as all ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Thats a lot of in depth knowledge about someone you have never met.

No different than the fools telling me that everyone of them is a doctor. But that's ok to say.

Just because someone support the housing of migrants doesnt mean they support the irish homeless problem. You will actually find its your lot that doesnt give a damn about the homeless problem. You just bring it up when it suits you to batter immigrants as all ways.

Our Govt should be Housing Our own First. We have no obligation to support anybody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,795 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Should we expect similar announcements for homeless Irish families soon??? If not, why not?

Yes, people are given free homes all the time in Ireland. Remember the travellers rejecting massive houses because of the horses? Remember Margaret Cash who's campaign for the homelesseseseses seemed to disappear after they gave her a 4 bedroom home?

Or all these flats given to a lucky few in Dublin city centre where most of us could never afford to live?

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0916/1165518-st-marys-mansions-dublin-regeneration/

I don't know why people bother getting worked up over asylum seekers. I would rather be the only Irish person in an estate full of asylum seekers than some of the scumbags they give free homes to.

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    No different than the fools telling me that everyone of them is a doctor. But that's ok to say.

Who said that? I pointed out a fact that nearly 50% of doctors are foreign. Reading comprehension is very important perhaps thats why all the immigrants are stealing your jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

We have no obligation to support anybody else.

We should feel obliged to help those worse off than us. Whether they are seeking asylum or homeless.

We should feel obliged to help those worse off than us. Whether they are seeking asylum or homeless.

Not if it affects the citizens. We have homeless Irish that need to be looked after. That should be the top priority.

Our Govt should be Housing Our own First. We have no obligation to support anybody else.

Typical selfish thinking from the right. Its all about us mentality you dont give a damn about the homeless.

Sure aren't we supposed to be a Christian country with references to God in our constitution etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Remember Margaret Cash who's campaign for the homelesseseseses seemed to disappear after they gave her a 4 bedroom home?

Good point. She had an awful lot of folks thinking she was campaigning for homeless people when she was only campaigning for herself. She did well in fairness, got the gaff.

• Advertisement

Good point. She had an awful lot of folks thinking she was campaigning for homeless people when she was only campaigning for herself. She did well in fairness, got the gaff.

I doubt her litter of kids will be getting mortgages either

Advertisement