Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 properties to be leased in Galway city for asylum seekers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

We should feel obliged to help those worse off than us. Whether they are seeking asylum or homeless.

Most of the world is worse off than us, are we meant to save the whole world? If we continue on this path we simply won't have the resources to help anymore. There has to be a balance between helping and functioning. This is a point that white saviors like yourself love to overlook.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Id predict It’ll be some job to evict any of them from their lovely apartments if they become failed asylum seekers

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

Sure aren't we supposed to be a Christian country with references to God in our constitution etc?

Il assume you are attempting to be facetious.

Id predict It’ll be some job to evict any of them from their lovely apartments if they become failed asylum seekers

Sure if we are speculating we can also predict that one of them will be the next President of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    And nothing to help the homeless Irish who are facing another Winter on the Streets. And then these Virtue signalling traitors wonder why anti-immigration sentiments are rising.

Most of the people sleeping on the streets can't be helped. They wouldn't be able to look after themselves even if they were given the keys to a flat. That guy that died outside the Dail was offered places to stay. No matter how far we come we'll always have people on the streets who can't fit in anywhere. There were even homeless people in Zurich when I visited there last year, one of the richest well run places in the world.

• Advertisement

TomTomTim wrote: »
    If we continue on this path we simply won't have the resources to help anymore.
    This is an exaggeration. Allowing less than 5000 asylum seekers into the country is not leading this country into bankruptcy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Zookey123 wrote: »
    Nearly 50% of Irish doctors are foreign. Should we ignore this fact? A large number of our nurses are also foreign. Stop moaning and actually actively try to improve your own life rather than blame a minority group.
    Who said that? I pointed out a fact that nearly 50% of doctors are foreign. Reading comprehension is very important perhaps thats why all the immigrants are stealing your jobs.

Ah yes the old tactic of conflating legal immigrants with dubious asylum seekers.

That way it seems we are actually missing out on doctors, nurses, scientists, engineers, etc by not taking in anyone that wanderers along with a sob story.

"Sure only a moron would want to miss out on those valuable contributors to our society."

"And sure you must be awful racists and bigots to not want foreigners working in the health service especially now when we are faced with pandemic."

As other poster spelt out it is very unlikely that qualified professionals are using human trafficers and rubber dinghies to get to Europe to work in our health services.

I would bet it is as likely as you actually taking some of these into your own home.

Your tactic is the usual one adopted by the ones pedalling the "take them in" as a way to try and hide the fact that almost all of these are unqualified poorly educated and will add nothing but strife and cost to the host countries in both the short and the long run.

PS your forgot to mention they will be all paying for our pensions and healthcare when we get old. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

This is an exaggeration. Allowing less than 5000 asylum seekers into the country is not leading this country into bankruptcy.

And what about family reunification ?

For a start that is 5,000 mouths to feed, 5,000 medical cards, 5,000 to be medically assessed, 5,000 to get some sort of social welfare, 5,000 to get some form of training/education.

And are you going to put all 5,000 into the 35 houses ?

Then when you do add in family, that 5,000 can become 20,000 or 25,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Who said that? I pointed out a fact that nearly 50% of doctors are foreign. Reading comprehension is very important perhaps thats why all the immigrants are stealing your jobs.

I know that, that's why I replied. You stated this in a thread about asylum seekers, your point was to make people aware that 50% of workers are foreign in the health sector and trying to link it in somehow with asylum seekers otherwise you'd not have said anything.

I'm all for doctors and nurses from any part of the world which most of the so called "Asylum Seekers" are not.

Also the smart line about stealing my jobs, assuming anyone who states anything different from you is an idiot or a bum, nice touch. I'll just quote the below.
    Zookey123 wrote:
    Thats a lot of in depth knowledge about someone you have never met.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Typical selfish thinking from the right. Its all about us mentality you dont give a damn about the homeless.

You Lefties don't care about Asylum Seekers/Migrants/Refugees,etc. If you did you'd be opening up your own homes and providing for them yourselves. Not yelling "Let them In." and then make them the Govt and everyone else's problem.

No. You Lefties don't give a toss. You just want your social media likes for looking compassionate. You lot aren't to keen on actually practicing what your preach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

0ph0rce0 wrote: »
    I know that, that's why I replied. You stated this in a thread about asylum seekers, your point was to make people aware that 50% of workers are foreign in the health sector and trying to link it in somehow with asylum seekers otherwise you'd not have said anything.

I'm all for doctors and nurses from any part of the world which most of the so called "Asylum Seekers" are not.

Also the smart line about stealing my jobs, assuming anyone who states anything different from you is an idiot or a bum, nice touch. I'll just quote the below.

Oh i'm so sorry! I didn't know you don't like being generalised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Be nice to get some government support for people earning above the HAP threshold but can't afford rent/to buy a house....

Anyone on 30-45k gets royally ****ed over in this country if they have no family to help them.

jmayo wrote: »
    And what about family reunification ?

For a start that is 5,000 mouths to feed, 5,000 medical cards, 5,000 to be medically assessed, 5,000 to get some sort of social welfare, 5,000 to get some form of training/education.

And are you going to put all 5,000 into the 35 houses ?

Then when you do add in family, that 5,000 can become 20,000 or 25,000.

More exaggeration. Regardless, asylum seekers have a net benefit to a countries economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'd rather them than some of the Oliver Bond St free house recipients.

These guys will work one day.

Thankfully the PRTB hasn’t restricted rental accomodation to scrotes or asylum seekers only just yet so there are more options.

Funny how some people will defend the working (and non working) class to the hilt until its time to defend non working foreigners and then its under the bus the natives go.

Sadly the chances of these migrants ever getting jobs is about the same as the oliver bond flat ravers, if not less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Great another thread about immigrants. Do they not deserve a home? They are also just people like us. Maybe start treating people as individuals rather than putting everyone in categories. One person does wrong and cheats the system therefore all immigrants are bad. Put yourself in someone else's shoes for one day, have a bit of empathy.

Brilliant, so why don't they house them next to wherever Google or Apple headquarters are/employees live? Oh because they are rich and live in gated communities, is that why? When's the last time you had any empathy for the working poor, those just above the government's magical 'assist' threshold? Do you want to know what kind of living conditions we live in?

More exaggeration. Regardless, asylum seekers have a net benefit to a countries economy.

Non EU migrants are as a group net detractors ,
    The only asylum seekers who do buck the trend are georgians, and we keep out 90% of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Sounds like possibly a cheaper solution to temp accommodation. Id imagine covid has a part to play in this. Those living in direct provision would be considered hot spots for spread as they practically live on top of each other.

If this makes for a safer option from a health perspective then I can see why the decision was made. The article sounds like the people are here. However really what I want is more funding and supports into the process so we can process people more efficiently. Fit the bill your in, otherwise deportation. Its absolutely crazy its taking so long to process.

Non EU migrants are as a group net detractors ,
    The only asylum seekers who do buck the trend are georgians, and we keep out 90% of them

Citations please!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,145 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The problem is and always has been the length of time asylum seekers are spending in direct provision centers. There is nothing wrong with direct provision for a short period.

The problem now is people are using the system to start a family and have kids while they are waiting to complicate the whole issue.

Government money would be better spent , fast tracking the whole process and eliminating the appeals process. They either have sufficient evidence or they dont, if they dont put them on the first flight out of here.

Could we get the claims process down to 7 days max, and keep the AS in the port/airport?

This would be beneficial for the AS, as they would get an answer earlier.

Since you ask - I would suggest a central processing facility convenient to the airport.

Language classes(English and Irish), fetac level training courses, excellent teaching facilities for children and teenagers. Multicultural excellent quality cuisine for residents. Halal and kosher etc options available. Prayer rooms.

Asylum interview - decision - 1 Appeal - either grant or refuse asylum

For the granted ppl have integration classes and generously funded resources so that they can start a productive life in Ireland.

But the flip side for this is that for the refusals deport back to their country with as little delay as possible

I agree 100%, and have been calling for this for many years.

Speed the process up to 7 days max.

• Advertisement

Great another thread about immigrants. Do they not deserve a home? They are also just people like us. Maybe start treating people as individuals rather than putting everyone in categories. One person does wrong and cheats the system therefore all immigrants are bad. Put yourself in someone else's shoes for one day, have a bit of empathy.

We know that the vast majority of AS are bogus.

We have read the reports about the bogus criminal Asian AS involved in sham marriages.

It is all well known.

Why would I have empathy with criminals?

Genuine refugees are welcome.

EU migrants are welcome.

Bogus AS are not welcome.

The_Brood wrote: »
    Brilliant, so why don't they house them next to wherever Google or Apple headquarters are/employees live? Oh because they are rich and live in gated communities, is that why? When's the last time you had any empathy for the working poor, those just above the government's magical 'assist' threshold? Do you want to know what kind of living conditions we live in?

Whats wrong with living next to people of different cultures. I have had zero issues. Maybe try and look at the world outside your own bubble.

Citations please!

Ill just dig up the report ive linked atleast 50 times on this site , but just for the snippet preview of asylum seekers in ireland :

Only 18% of them finished secondary education, only 2% ever graduated university, particularly african migrants have an unemployment rate in the high 80s.

I have a second report too where the german government took in migrants, offered them all free training and under 30% of them even volunteered for the free education, of the ones that did volunteer most just went on to do german language courses.

They don’t want to work, integrate, communicate etc.. they just want free stuff

Citations please!

Ill just dig up the report ive linked atleast 50 times on this site , but just for the snippet preview of asylum seekers in ireland :

Only 18% of them finished secondary education, only 2% ever graduated university, particularly african migrants have an unemployment rate in the high 80s.

I have a second report too where the german government took in migrants, offered them all free training and under 30% of them even volunteered for the free education, of the ones that did volunteer most just went on to do german language courses.

They don’t want to work, integrate, communicate etc.. they just want free stuff

Geuze wrote: »
    We know that the vast majority of AS are bogus.

We have read the reports about the bogus criminal Asian AS involved in sham marriages.

It is all well known.

Why would I have empathy with criminals?

Genuine refugees are welcome.

EU migrants are welcome.

Bogus AS are not welcome.

Translated as the right shade of brown migrants right? Your thinly veiled racism is starting to show. Also would love to see your sources for the statement that all AS are criminals.

They don’t want to work, integrate, communicate etc.. they just want free stuff[/QUOTE

Please do share this source.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/lucrative-sham-marriage-scam-brought-to-an-end-at-dublin-cricket-match-1.3504893

This bogus criminal Asian AS organised many sham marriages.

Why do people have sympathy for criminals?

"Muhammad “Romi” Ramzan (40) from Pakistan did his best to laugh off the interruption. But seven days later he is back in Pakistan, having been deported on Tuesday after a week in Cloverhill Prison.

His is a tale of modern organised crime.

Born on January 1st, 1978, the authorities in Ireland first became aware of him in 2008 when he sought asylum. He was one of 3,866 foreign nationals to do so that year, 237 of them Pakistani.

The result was against him so he appealed. In December, 2009, the Refugee Appeals Tribunal rejected his case. But by now he had a fall-back plan. Then aged 31, he married a 20-year-old Latvian woman."

All of the Pakistani AS are bogus.

We need to end DP, and process their bogus claims much faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Sonrisa

Geuze wrote: »
    I agree 100%, and have been calling for this for many years.

Speed the process up to 7 days max.

It would be great if it could be lawfully processed that quickly, but unfortunately I don't think there is any government process so efficient.

We know that all of the Albanian and Georgian AS are bogus.

Varadkar confirmed it.

It is well known, reported in media, that they tear up the travel documents on the plane.

Thankfully, we have moved the checks to the aircraft, and the criminal activity slowed down.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/airport-operation-to-block-albanians-georgians-from-claiming-asylum-is-scaled-back-1.4175758

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/airports-tough-stance-on-albanian-migrants-38669370.html

You won't believe this - an NGO here said it's wrong of INIS/GNIB to move the checks to the aircraft!!!!!!

Imagine telling the Garda "it's bad to investigate crimes".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭john123470

Well, we are in their shoes now, are we not.

... figures show 10,338 people are homeless, 3,848 of whom are children. The number of people without a home in Ireland continues to rise with the latest official figures showing 10,338 people are relying on emergency accommodation.
    That was 1 year ago and it aint getting any better. With Covid, mass unemployment on the horizon etc, things will get worse

I don't wish homelessness on anyone but surely people who have paid taxes in their own country are more deserving of housing when their lives are disintegrating around them

I've seen it too many times where folk from a certain African country are able to queue jump the housing waiting list. And you wonder about the resentment ?

As per usual, its all down to weak, ineffectual leadership who are only in it for whatever they can grab for themselves

Advertisement