Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

35 properties to be leased in Galway city for asylum seekers

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 466 ✭✭DangerScouse

Ireland is heading to take in a serious number of asylum seekers. this country will never be the same again. The government have NO MANDATE to do this.

https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0923/1166868-eu-migration-policy/

It was stated FG policy to increase the population of Ireland by 1 million by 2040 i think it was and that can only be done by inviting in the 3rd world. I doubt FF are going to oppose it as they are open borders as much as FG, SF, Greens and Labour.

You oppose it and you will be branded racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭gerogerigegege

It was stated FG policy to increase the population of Ireland by 1 million by 2040 i think it was and that can only be done by inviting in the 3rd world. I doubt FF are going to oppose it as they are open borders as much as FG, SF, Greens and Labour.

You oppose it and you will be branded racist.

I don't think people care any longer. I certainly dont and will be looking to discuss this with my local TDs.

if the people do not consent to this it shouldn't happen.
    the government is out of control. They are there to serve US not the eu.
    Ireland has changed beyond belief in the last 25 years.
    the African community have an unemployment rate of nearly 40%. wtf is going on?
    enough of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Because people like some of the posters on here are happy to put their shoulder to the wheel to help provide free housing, free health care and allowances via taxation.

I am already doing what you say, paying 25k+ in tax, and happy to do so, for housing and healthcare for people legally in this country.

I do not wish to pay tax towards those illegally in the country, making bogus asylum claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

I don't think people care any longer. I certainly dont and will be looking to discuss this with my local TDs.

if the people do not consent to this it shouldn't happen.
    the government is out of control. They are there to serve US not the eu.
    Ireland has changed beyond belief in the last 25 years.
    the African community have an unemployment rate of nearly 40%. wtf is going on?
    enough of it!

The African community are only trotting after the traveller unemployment rate which is over 90% , to be honest I struggle to believe 10% of travellers work .
    Albanians , Romanians etc are well aware of the easy touch welfare travellers benefit from in this country , why should they also not get free houses , welfare for unlimited. families for life as well ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

silver2020 wrote: »
    I wish people would just FUC OFF with this "homeless irish families utter bullsh1t.

I suggest you find out the people behind these figures.

1 - People who insist on their forever home and won't take anything other than perfection

2 - People who are in perfectly good rental homes, are not under any threat of eviction but who want their free forever home

3 - Travellers who want very specific accommodation, always a bungalow and with 1/2 acre for their horses and as many bedrooms as possible once its over 4.

4 - Genuine refugees who have been granted asylum and who are waiting on a home - usually they are happy with anything offered and try their best to get into the workforce and contribute to Irish society and pay rent (unlike 1, 2 &3 above)

5 - People who no-one wants to live beside. they have been shunted out for anti social behaviour and will never change.

6 - Like 4 above, but Irish. Genuine people who do their best.

Problem is 1,2,3 & 5 shout out all the time, play a game with the media, get selected dumb politicians on their case and then some people believe all the sh1te that is spouted.

Having worked with refugees and also having successful asylum seekers working with me. I'll have them living next door to me long before 1,2,3 & 5 groups, because they will appreciate what they are given and be forever thankful.

Best post I've seen in years on here.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

the government pays a lot of money for social housing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭Errashareesh

Zookey123 wrote: »
    I realise that this is probably the worst place to ask people to show a bit of empathy since it is boards after all. Yeah sure let immigrants be homeless we dont want our tax money going to help a family in need.
    People are asking why this much is being spent on asylum seekers when there is a housing crisis for Irish people. If putting words in people's mouths, it could be said that you're saying "Yeah sure let Irish people be homeless, we don't want our tax money going to help a family in need."

Merely asking the question does not mean automatically being racist/unwelcoming to immigrants/not wanting to help refugees, but someone can have equal concerns about the citizens of the country in question.

I would be the first to admit that there are bullsh1tters here looking for special treatment when it comes to accommodation, but that doesn't change the fact that there is still a genuine housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

I did read your article but it seems not to take into account the cost to take in, support, educate refugees

From the article:

"the additional public expenditures, which is usually referred to as the “refugee burden,” is more than outweighed by the increase in tax revenues. "

If you still cannot see where you are wrong in your statement above, then it is difficult to have an honest debate here. You are deliberately misrepresenting the article that I linked to.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭SchrodingersCat

jmayo wrote: »
    Lets have some evidence to that claim?

Oh and nice wishy washy articles about a single asylum seeker getting a job fixing trains or one getting a scholarship to study medicine does not constitute evidence that the vast vast majority of the asylum seekers that have come to Europe are benefiting their host countries.

Im not sure what articles you are referring to, I didn't see anyone post anything like that in this thread. One link from Nature that I gave was for was for an academic paper that modeled the effect of Asylum seekers on the European countries economies including Ireland. They found that migrants and refugees are good for economies.

People are asking why this much is being spent on asylum seekers when there is a housing crisis for Irish people. If putting words in people's mouths, it could be said that you're saying "Yeah sure let Irish people be homeless, we don't want our tax money going to help a family in need."

Merely asking the question does not mean automatically being racist/unwelcoming to immigrants/not wanting to help refugees, but someone can have equal concerns about the citizens of the country in question.

I would be the first to admit that there are bullsh1tters here looking for special treatment when it comes to accommodation, but that doesn't change the fact that there is still a genuine housing crisis.

we should be looking after Irish people first. I didn't vote to look after bogus asylum seekers.
    as you said we have a housing crisis. we don't need to make it worse. todays news sends a terribly bad signal out to those here already struggling to move out of home or move into a bigger place etc
    and people wonder why the right is rising!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Zookey123

But why is the homeless issue only brought up when immigrants are housed. Its 30 houses for god sake. Don't they have a right to a roof over their heads too or do they forfeit that right due to the extra melanin count in their skin? And as i have said multiple times those in favor of the migrants being housed are also the same ones fighting against the homeless crisis. Its your lot that don't care and just use them when needs be to bash immigrants. It's not a case of immigrants vs Irish homeless, no matter how badly you want that to be the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

The fact that everyone still calls them asylum seekers is incredible, 70-80% refusal rate for asylum applicants, most applying here are have come from Albania and Georgia in the last few years, these stats are easily verified if anyone can be bothered, economic migrants is what they are, the amount of NGOs and charities working on these spoofers behalf is mind boggling, and by that I mean they are told what to say and what not to say and the truth be damned, the word has gone out all over the world that Ireland is a soft touch,

But why is the homeless issue only brought up when immigrants are housed. Its 30 houses for god sake. Don't they have a right to a roof over their heads too or do they forfeit that right due to the extra melanin count in their skin? And as i have said multiple times those in favor of the migrants being housed are also the same ones fighting against the homeless crisis. Its your lot that don't care and just use them when needs be to bash immigrants. It's not a case of immigrants vs Irish homeless, no matter how badly you want that to be the case.

most come through several safe countries to get here. pretty clear they're here to get some of our gold plated welfare. most in the past are failed and still stay. they shouldn't be in this country.
    our government have screwed up AGAIN!

we should be looking after Irish people first. I didn't vote to look after bogus asylum seekers.
    as you said we have a housing crisis. we don't need to make it worse. todays news sends a terribly bad signal out to those here already struggling to move out of home or move into a bigger place etc
    and people wonder why the right is rising!

The right has always been on the wrong side of history so perhaps learn from the mistakes made in the past? Their is no far right movement in Ireland (with any real power), and I wouldn't get too confident with the support you get on anonymous online forums either you wont see that in the real world. Stop using the homeless to promote your agenda we can all see through it. You couldn't care less about them.

The right has always been on the wrong side of history so perhaps learn from the mistakes made in the past? Their is no far right movement in Ireland (with any real power), and I wouldn't get too confident with the support you get on anonymous online forums either you wont see that in the real world. Stop using the homeless to promote your agenda we can all see through it. You couldn't care less about them.

no, I couldnt care less about bogus asylum seekers our government let stay here at my expense. any other country they'd be gone long time ago.

Oh give over the "your lot" stuff - I'm not part of anyone's "lot". Unfair generalisations and all that...

And you're putting words in the mouth - I didn't say asylum seekers don't deserve somewhere to live, and only you brought up skin colour (plenty of asylum seekers are white btw). Despite the spoofers there are people genuinely concerned about Irish people in need of accommodation, and who don't just bring up the matter in discussions about asylum seekers. The generalisations aren't constructive.

It can be said that homelessness in Ireland is used as a political football in other contexts too - not just by the right (I recently saw someone try to deflect from a discussion about trans activism by bringing up the homeless crisis; at least in this context it is actually relevant).

Personally I would also much prefer to live next door to immigrants than the "foreva home" crowd, but if someone simply questions the optics of this (is the equivalent work being done and money being spent for vulnerable Irish people too? E.g. the elderly, sick, disabled, carers, job seekers, those who have had to leave rented accommodation and now risk homelessness) it doesn't mean they're automatically racist, heartless, disingenuous regarding the Irish accommodation crisis. Things don't always work that way. It's not always us v them/with us or against us/left v right. People's views can be more complex than that.

no, I couldnt care less about bogus asylum seekers our government let stay here at my expense. any other country they'd be gone long time ago.

Just be glad your not one of them. You don't have to worry about a war or a famine. Just concerned about the little extra tax that you might have to pay up. Complain constantly because a family was housed what a great lad you are. At least you've dropped the act of "but what about the homeless".

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

Just be glad your not one of them. You don't have to worry about a war or a famine. Just concerned about the little extra tax that you might have to pay up. Complain constantly because a family was housed what a great lad you are. At least you've dropped the act of "but what about the homeless".

What war or famine? What are Albanians and Georgians fleeing from? Educate yourself on where these economic migrants are coming from,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But why is the homeless issue only brought up when immigrants are housed. Its 30 houses for god sake.

It's 30 houses that could be used to home Irish families not bogus asylum seekers ,
    There not migrants

Oh give over the "your lot" stuff - I'm not part of anyone's "lot". Unfair generalisations and all that...

And you're putting words in the mouth - I didn't say asylum seekers don't deserve somewhere to live, and only you brought up skin colour (plenty of asylum seekers are white btw). Despite the spoofers there are people genuinely concerned about Irish people in need of accommodation, and who don't just bring up the matter in discussions about asylum seekers. The generalisations aren't constructive.

It can be said that homelessness in Ireland is used as a political football in other contexts too - not just by the right (I recently saw someone try to deflect from a discussion about trans activism by bringing up the homeless crisis; at least in this context it is actually relevant).

Personally I would also much prefer to live next door to immigrants than the "foreva home" crowd, but if someone simply questions the optics of this (is the equivalent work being done and money being spent for vulnerable Irish people too? E.g. the elderly, sick, disabled, carers, job seekers, those who have had to leave rented accommodation and now risk homelessness) it doesn't mean they're automatically racist, heartless, disingenuous regarding the Irish accommodation crisis. Things don't always work that way. It's not always us v them/with us or against us/left v right. People's views can be more complex than that.

But that's not what has been said on this thread. Have you read most of the comments? Asylum seekers being called scroungers, criminals, cheating the system. I wonder why their generalisations haven't been called out. This issue is incredibly complex I agree but all that's being done is the homeless problem is being used as a weapon to bash the immigrants as always. You brought up the elderly, sick, disabled etc why are they competing with immigrants? Why can't we try and house immigrants and try and make this country better for all of the above too. No one needs to choose a side. Its like if you raised awareness for the elderly suffering from dementia and I get all worked because what about the disabled.

• Advertisement

nope. our homeless should be looked after first. no more asylum seekers should be allowed into this country until our housing crisis is solved.

nope. our homeless should be looked after first. no more asylum seekers should be allowed into this country until our housing crisis is solved.

Do something about it so mr keyboard warrior. What big solutions do you have for this problem of housing the homeless and what steps have you taken to implement these ideas?

But that's not what has been said on this thread. Have you read most of the comments? Asylum seekers being called scroungers, criminals, cheating the system. I wonder why their generalisations haven't been called out. This issue is incredibly complex I agree but all that's being done is the homeless problem is being used as a weapon to bash the immigrants as always. You brought up the elderly, sick, disabled etc why are they competing with immigrants? Why can't we try and house immigrants and try and make this country better for all of the above too. No one needs to choose a side. Its like if you raised awareness for the elderly suffering from dementia and I get all worked because what about the disabled.
    Exactly what I'm asking - is the government putting the same resources into housing the people I mentioned? I don't believe everyone who asks this question agrees with the more bigoted assessments.

Gatling wrote: »
    It's 30 houses that could be used to home Irish families not bogus asylum seekers ,
    There not migrants

I wonder if your generalisation will be called out. Probably not since your using it for the right agenda. Maybe you can do something to help the homeless or would you rather just moan about immigrants on an anonymous forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Exactly what I'm asking - is the government putting the same resources into housing the people I mentioned? I don't believe everyone who asks this question agrees with the more bigoted assessments.

Housing the disabled? or the elderly? we have got "free" healthcare with its many faults but at least its free. Public transport is also free for the elderly. I think we are trying our best to help anyone in need. Many different government authorities have been set up to ensure good quality service is being delivered to the elderly and the disabled (HIQA). Jobseekers get an allowance i'm not sure how much but some of my friends have been on it in the past and were well able to get by. So the government is actively trying its best to help anyone in need. No special treatment for the immigrants as some of the paranoid posters on this forum have convinced themselves of.

Housing the disabled? or the elderly? we have got "free" healthcare with its many faults but at least its free. Public transport is also free for the elderly. I think we are trying our best to help anyone in need. Many different government authorities have been set up to ensure good quality service is being delivered to the elderly and the disabled (HIQA). Jobseekers get an allowance i'm not sure how much but some of my friends have been on it in the past and were well able to get by. So the government is actively trying its best to help anyone in need. No special treatment for the immigrants as some of the paranoid posters on this forum have convinced themselves of.

failed asylum seekers being in Ireland is special treatment. they shouldnt be in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder if your generalisation will be called out.

Nice try .

I doubt your a Brazilian either .

If in doubt scream the far right .

Its fact that the majority of asylum seekers are bogus hence why we have a 75% + rejection rate but we can't seem to deport individuals for whatever reason

Gatling wrote: »
    Nice try .

I doubt your a Brazilian either .

Haha unlike Mr failed panzer division number 2 earlier i don't claim to be a minority to score points with anyone.
    Also i only called out one far right person in this thread (since its a very serious accusation) and tbf he literally named himself after a Nazi military unit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

What war or famine? What are Albanians and Georgians fleeing from? Educate yourself on where these economic migrants are coming from,
    I'm sure everyone noticed that he did not answer that question.
    Also the middle class Nigerians arriving into Ireland as asylum seekers are not fleeing famine either.

With 33 or so posts already on a 12 page thread; you'd swear that he almost had a vested interest in the asylum industry :pac:
    "Just concerned about the little extra tax that you might have to pay up" he says .....

It will be a lot more than a "little extra tax" that we will be all paying if the current asylum charade is not stopped. We cannot afford it any more.

Advertisement