Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Windy in cork city, definitely yellow level though.

But as a i said in the technical thread it’s a different type of yellow. Saturated ground + leaves I’m still ok trees (more then Ophelia) can still cause plenty of trees down and possibly damage so just because it was downgraded still remain vigilant.

Some of the gusts are strong enough and meant to get stronger as the day progresses (though remaining in yellow level)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

They turned the volume and wind speed up out here. … getting very wild as they said it would.. Easier to forecast on the coast,, west mayo offshore

OUCH! That was a bang! sudden shocks starting... ,background loud noise then a real crash.

Knitting and youtube!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Anything happening in Dublin today or tomorrow of note?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

sporina wrote: »
    is it just me or are these weather warnings OTT these days?
    Like the blizzard never happened on that Thursday during storm Emma..
    and now, hardly a breeze here in Cork..

You could have picked several examples of misguided warnings BUT you went with the one that delivered several feet of snow drifts to plenty of the East?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Graces7 wrote: »
    They turned the volume and wind speed up out here. … getting very wild as they said it would.. Easier to forecast on the coast,, west mayo offshore

OUCH! That was a bang! sudden shocks starting... ,background loud noise then a real crash.

Knitting and youtube!

Keep us updated how you're doing Graces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Storm 10

If ME are looking here get George Lee of the radio Mr Doomsday Man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,099 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Anything happening in Dublin today or tomorrow of note?

As I walked into work this morning there was a few leaves on the trees starting to twinkle.

Also I noticed an unusually high number of blackbirds around, they had formed a guard of honour style formation on the electricity poles and were looking anxious, maybe they're aware of whats coming.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Storm 10 wrote: »
    If ME are looking here get George Lee of the radio Mr Doomsday Man

He’s the RTÉ correspondent, nothing to do with Met Éireann. Not their call to make.

In fairness Evelyn was on the radio this morning and has made it clear this is not in the same league as Ophelia intensity wise. Not a whole lot more Met Éireann can do be be honest. Their warnings seem spot on to me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 271 ✭✭lleti

Earthnull has it pretty much level with the south coast now, is this it?

Or will it go up and then across?

• Advertisement

lleti wrote: »
    Earthnull has it pretty much level with the south coast now, is this it?

Or will it go up and then across?

Up the west coast until mayo or donegal and then goes southeast across the country again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,647 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Only thing I noticed in Newbridge was the wind getting up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

You know it's going to be a very minor event for most of the country when boards is this quiet. Usually when there's a major event I can't keep up to date with the thread.

Remembering the metrical version of the Lorica, Breastplate of St Patrick...

"The whirling wind's tempestuous shocks... The deep salt sea around the old eternal rocks.."

Some things do not change .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭droidman123

John.Icy wrote: »
    You could have picked several examples of misguided warnings BUT you went with the one that delivered several feet of snow drifts to plenty of the East?

Cork is not in the east

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Cw85 wrote: »
    You know it's going to be a very minor event for most of the country when boards is this quiet. Usually when there's a major event I can't keep up to date with the thread.
    I think it's called the calm before the storm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

But as a i said in the technical thread it’s a different type of yellow. Saturated ground + leaves I’m still ok trees (more then Ophelia) can still cause plenty of trees down and possibly damage so just because it was downgraded still remain vigilant.

Some of the gusts are strong enough and meant to get stronger as the day progresses (though remaining in yellow level)

Couldnt have been calmer on my walk into town this morning, looking out onto Patricks Quay its a bog standard October morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭pad199207

Sky in stunning. Such clarity to it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I saw a leaf fall....is it Lorenzo?

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

If only, however being in the South East I don't see it being any worse that earlier in the week when we had a lot of spot flooding. The storm seems now to have gone further north before taking a turn to the east so it's effect on the E/SE appears to be minimal. It's looking like it will be later this evening or tonight before we see any change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

"stay back, stay high, stay dry"

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 489 ✭✭Mr Bumble

Steady increase in wind in Waterville. Sustained SE winds at about 45kish. Heavy rain to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Bloody recycling bin has to go out tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,010 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

ZX7R wrote: »

Ours too. Ridiculous they haven't rescheduled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,214 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

CHealy wrote: »

Couldnt have been calmer on my walk into town this morning, looking out onto Patricks Quay its a bog standard October morning.
    That's great news. Thing is the storm isn't really due until 6pm!

Just got soaked walking in to college in cork city. Lashing:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Lorenzo reminds of the ABBA song Fernando.......:)

signostic wrote: »

That’s nice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

That's great news. Thing is the storm isn't really due until 6pm!

Thats my point, no need to be pin pointing any sort of standard weather as something to do with a storm that hasnt even arrived yet. Wind and rain on an October morning my god batten down the hatches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

if you follow the track on the timeline on ventusky it looks too far out to cause any major damage,

looks like bit of a damp squib tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

The Nal wrote: »
    Ours too. Ridiculous they haven't rescheduled.

They'll probably cancel collections if it gets too bad, but the bin men are hardy creatures so i wouldn't bet on it

ZX7R wrote: »

**** I forgot to put the bins out this morning.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

fryup wrote: »
    if you follow the track on the timeline on ventusky it looks too far out to cause any major damage,

It is far out now. Forecast is for it to take a hard right turn for the coast of Ireland later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

signostic wrote: »

Llorente.

I do love the sense of anticipation of waiting for something that can be seen hundreds of miles away and watching it slowly track nearer and then the realisation "this is it".

It doesn't look like it will be so bad for a lot of the country but it's the sense of the unknown and the possibilities which grow the anticipation.

CHealy wrote: »
    Thats my point, no need to be pin pointing any sort of standard weather as something to do with a storm that hasnt even arrived yet. Wind and rain on an October morning my god batten down the hatches.

depends where you are if you read the warnings carefully. West is being hit now. Then a pause, then the bigger storm later..

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

DOCARCH wrote: »
    It is far out now. Forecast is for it to take a hard right turn for the coast of Ireland later.

....and that's why weather warnings only 'kick in' for/from 6pm this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Hoboo

lleti wrote: »
    I do love the sense of anticipation of waiting for something that can be seen hundreds of miles away and watching it slowly track nearer and then the realisation "this is it".

It doesn't look like it will be so bad for a lot of the country but it's the sense of the unknown and the possibilities which grow the anticipation.

Brexit?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭murfo

thanks for not saying squid ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Getting pretty rough here in West Mayo from an unusual south east direction.

The forecast rain has arrived; sheeting across in a wild southerly. As nasty a day as any we have had in a long while.. Deluging

west mayo offshore..

Heard A COW bellowing. so went out but hidden by the old house! And the minibus to the pier but probably just to check all is well down there

Maybe Upright cow, or the bull, has escaped and they are sending out a search party! Who knows! Sheeting sideways and bitterly cold..

Crazy world.. just going to sit and let them at it ! Nothing to do with me!

....and that's why weather warnings only 'kick in' for/from 6pm this evening.

Now for here; west coast; yellow warning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yes i know, but even if you follow that line it looks nothing major

Graces7 wrote: »
    Now for here; west coast

Yellow warning is for now. Orange warning is for 6pm onwards.

Getting pretty rough here in West Mayo from an unusual south east direction.

Very rough suddenly out here l Rain sheeting sideways in that wind. Southerliesof any degree are always worse than a good honest northerly .

• Advertisement

Kamili wrote: »
    Lucky Cow!

see chat thread please before we get reprimanded! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

In laois and the wind picking up and gone very dark, presume we will get the worst of it during the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Dublin met.ie says 27km winds tonight? That's hardly a breeze?

Wind picking up in Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Getting a bit rough out there now.

PeskyHandmadeAfricanwilddog-size_restricted.gif

New Moon

• Advertisement
Advertisement