Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

easypazz wrote: »
    The expectation now when there is any bit of storm hype is a free day off and your employer is expected to pay for it. That's all people care about, the possibility of a free day off.

The last couple of occasions didn't see me get paid,they said they would...if we worked in the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Graces7 wrote: »
    It is so unearthly QUIET still, as if holding its breath. #

Similar conditions in London and loads of other places. What is your point?

We are expecting a bit of strongish wind, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

Is there a need to be so rude?
    There's alot of people after jumping into the weather forum over Lorenzo, please be more respectful of long time posters in this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Jees Louise - you could do with some of that calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JDD

I get the feeling this will be nothing more than a bit of wind, with a storm surge on the west coast. I'm in Dublin and I'd say the weather yesterday was probably worse then what's its going to be tomorrow. I love a good weather incident, but this will be a damp squib. Even the lads over on the technical thread say they think the wind warning will be downgraded.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

When you live on an Island off the West Coast I don't think you can compare what you are saying

irishgeo wrote: »
    Distance from what?

The should do it by townland or electoral area.

From wherever the main impact is.

Take Leitrim for example. It has an Atlantic coastline but stretches inland. A red warning may be necessary in area near the coast but the majority of the county wouldn’t need the red. Usually, as above :D Leitrim is forgotten about completely.

Warnings should be given in relation to vicinity of event and not by county.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,089 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

This storm sucks so far. No wind or rain yet, and sky is still blue. Where is the black clouds and creatures coming out of the mist?? Am I gonna have to change my plans and actually go to work tomorrow?? Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Warnings should be given in relation to vicinity of event and not by county.

How can you determine vicinity?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

NIMAN wrote: »
    Just heard Evelyn say the islands along the west coast will get the worst.

Stay safe Graces.

That figures.. all is safely away and tidied here. nothing that can blow. Last bad storm blew out the door and a window from the ruined house next to me. And some of the flat roof. Made an awful crash. Will stay in whatever crashes out there! This is a sturdy structure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

So upset I missed Grace's poem

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Large cruise liner bound for Florida has been going North and South off the Azores since yesterday riding out the storm

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

That figures.. all is safely away and tidied here. nothing that can blow. Last bad storm blew out the door and a window from the ruined house next to me. And some of the flat roof. Made an awful crash. Will stay in whatever crashes out there! This is a sturdy structure.

Graces7, have you disclosed where you are on the West coast? Looks like you could be in for a very rocky time out there depending on where you are.

L

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This storm sucks so far. No wind or rain yet, and sky is still blue. Where is the black clouds and creatures coming out of the mist?? Am I gonna have to change my plans and actually go to work tomorrow?? Very disappointing.

You know nothing is due to hit until noon tomorrow. And yes work for everyone tomorrow and Friday :)

well today is WEDNESDAY.

The storm is on THURSDAY.

OK?

OK!

Indeed a lovely day today. enjoy...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Loughc wrote: »
    You know nothing is due to hit until noon tomorrow. And yes work for everyone tomorrow and Friday :)

Why is there a weather warning from 9am tomorrow then?

For sure, I was badly caught out last year. There was a Yellow warning, people quite relaxed about it. And next thing you know trees are down everywhere, never seen so many trees falling before.

So this year - I'm supposed to drive from Dublin to Kerry this evening, and back tomorrow afternoon. Going to cancel, just don't see the point in taking the risk that tomorrows Yellow is anything like last years Yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭cr-07

I drive to and from work, coming from the west side of Galway city to Athlone. Do you think it will be somewhat 'dangerous' drive and that I should inform my employer that I might not be able to make it in (depending on conditions), or should I just expect it to be a light breeze on the motorway?

cr-07 wrote: »
    I drive to and from work, coming from the west side of Galway city to Athlone. Do you think it will be somewhat 'dangerous' drive and that I should inform my employer that I might not be able to make it in (depending on conditions), or should I just expect it to be a light breeze on the motorway?

That's completely your call. No one knows your route better than you.

Not aimed at you but given the information that is there, people must make their own decisions regardless of warnings.

How can you determine vicinity?

I have no idea. But by county doesn’t make sense either (for some counties)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Here; bloodied but unbowed!

What I wrote earlier... simply close observation which is what we relied on..

I went for my early ramble.. Utter flat silent calm. The kind of silence that has you holding your breath. Layer after layer of grey cloud and only a couple of palest rose patches to show the sun had risen.

Not a breath of wind.. all so utterly unusual out here and the phrase " calm before the storm"? Must have some basis in fact. Really ominous

I have no tech knowledge. No ability in that direction. But a close interaction with the weather out here and all the old ways of warning
    You paint a picture with words!

• Advertisement

I have no idea. But by county doesn’t make sense either (for some counties)

exactly......no method will be perfect.....

Electoral areas or townlands will all have the same problem as counties with people on the border of these areas having the same complaint.

At least with counties the language is universal and everyone knows what county they are in.

People have to take personal responsibility and make their own decisions within reason.

If I live right next an area with a warning i'm not going assume, as has been pointed out, that the weather doesn't cross borders

Laurali wrote: »
    Graces7, have you disclosed where you are on the West coast? Looks like you could be in for a very rocky time out there depending on where you are.

L

Thanks for the concern.. means a lot.

west mayo offshore is all we ever say.. Just checked and yes, it is going to be lively .and as they said several days ago. the forecasting was spot on.

Not sure if it is though any worse than, say Callum ? Callum was the worst I have seen out here although as it was a coastal event it was not highlighted much. Would be interesting to see how it compared though? Just checked and much the same as Lorenzo
    A lot does depend on wind direction .

We will be fine; well used to it now. Battened down and ready. My only real query was if my fortnightly groceries get in! I suspect they will make a shorter earlier trip . These islanders were born here and know what they are doing.. And I am well stocked anyways. we get cut off in any bad weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭skepticalme

Is this what was deleted?

Quote: Graces7
    Not sure of the relevance of this but.. was out for my early slow ramble and it is deeply and ominously still and silent out there. Never seen it so intense. Was holding my breath against making a sound.

Not a ghost of a breath of wind, which out here is very unusual in itself.

Layer upon layer of striated grey cloud circling the entire horizon; only 2 small patches of palest pink cloud revealing anything of the sunrise.

Atmospheric in the deepest sense. Such a small world so should we wonder at anything.

Glad to get in.

Love your descriptions.
    Stay Safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Laurali

Thanks for the concern.. means a lot.

west mayo offshore is all we ever say.. Just checked and yes, it is going to be lively .and as they said several days ago. the forecasting was spot on.

Not sure if it is though any worse than, say Callum ? Callum was the worst I have seen out here although as it was a coastal event it was not highlighted much. Would be interesting to see how it compared though? Just checked and much the same as Lorenzo
    A lot does depend on wind direction .

We will be fine; well used to it now. Battened down and ready. My only real query was if my fortnightly groceries get in! I suspect they will make a shorter earlier trip . These islanders were born here and know what they are doing.. And I am well stocked anyways. we get cut off in any bad weather.

I'm sure you guys are well used to hearing 'non events' and then getting battered, but like you said, used to dealing with it too! Stay safe.

The latest icon study showed Achill coast being hit pretty hard, imagine you could say the same for any proper offshore islands, depending on the model. Let's see how it goes over next 24 hours.

Again, I wasnt criticizing your posts in the other forum, but moreso the 'brennans bread posts' which I think belong here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,803 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Stay strong graces.
    #justiceforthepoet.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Orange warning for Limerick.

Meant to go to Dermot and Dave at the University Concert Hall in Limerick. Will have to check if they be cancelling the show or not

Confusing

https://www.rte.ie/news/weather/2019/1002/1079557-storm-lorenzo/
    A status orange wind warning has been issued for six counties and a status yellow warning nationwide between tomorrow evening and Friday morning, when Storm Lorenzo is expected to make landfall in Ireland.

The orange warning for Galway, Mayo, Clare, Cork, Kerry and Limerick will be in place from 6pm tomorrow to 3am on Friday.
    The storm, which is currently a Category 1 hurricane, is expected to weaken considerably along the way but will still bring fierce winds, heavy rains, and very high seas to Ireland where it is due to make landfall tomorrow evening.

The worst affected areas are expected to be counties Kerry, Clare, Galway, Mayo and Sligo.

Limerick orange. Sligo yellow. But they say Sligo will be one of the 5 worst affected areas but doesn’t say Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭Comhrá

You're new here...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

YFlyer wrote: »
    Orange warning for Limerick.

Meant to go to Dermot and Dave at the University Concert Hall in Limerick. Will have to check if they be cancelling the show or not

Why would they consider cancelling a show if its only an orange warning?

Especially knowing that UL is about as far from the coast that you can get in Limerick?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

JDD wrote: »
    I get the feeling this will be nothing more than a bit of wind, with a storm surge on the west coast. I'm in Dublin and I'd say the weather yesterday was probably worse then what's its going to be tomorrow. I love a good weather incident, but this will be a damp squib. Even the lads over on the technical thread say they think the wind warning will be downgraded.
    If I loose power, I and my family loose water,sewage and heat....what will you loose in Dublin? The chance to charge your phone !!!

Advertisement