Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I was talking to someone from Salthill, Galway today. He remembers in the 70s and 80s that the local kids would love big storms. They would all head out to the promenade with their roller skates and let the wind bring them up and down the path/road. That would be frowned upon in today's safety first world.

Oh yeah! Back in mid 80's (I was around 12) my dad brought the whole family up the mountains, when a blizzard struck. I remember crawling through the snow down the mountain in what must have been 100mph winds. You couldn't stand up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

Take care people, tis slightly breezy out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Do met Eireann update the storm it's the same since 12.19 today surely they could tell us the latest info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭GooglePlus

I was talking to someone from Salthill, Galway today. He remembers in the 70s and 80s that the local kids would love big storms. They would all head out to the promenade with their roller skates and let the wind bring them up and down the path/road. That would be frowned upon in today's safety first world.

It's not that we're a safety first world now. It's the media jumping on it because the interest is there since Ophelia hit two years ago.

Ophelia set the tone and now any bit of wind has their knickers wet for the money that will follow every Joe Soap that clicks into these articles depicting a doomsday storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

Well Wexford was in the yellow warning all day and until 6pm, so maybe there is a moral to this story...

Lockdown on yellow warnings?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

kod87 wrote: »
    Take care people, tis slightly breezy out there.

Is it slightly Dublin where you are??

• Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

easypazz wrote: »
    Lockdown on yellow warnings?

Lockdown ? He was out in a stormy sea . Hardly lockdown to ask people to stay out of the sea for 24 hours

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The blanket countrywide yellow was probably not necessary but it will hardly have caused disruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

It got rough at midday here in SW Donegal and after heavy rain there was floods on the roads and strong gusts, but since then its been quiet enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Oh yeah! Back in mid 80's (I was around 12) my dad brought the whole family up the mountains, when a blizzard struck. I remember crawling through the snow down the mountain in what must have been 100mph winds. You couldn't stand up.

Who remembers the famous raft off the prom.all us kids used to swim out to it and climb up on it basking like seals in that glorious 80’s sunshine.
    There would be that many on it you would have to push off someone to get on.
    We were like crabs climbing onto a rock.
    God be with the days.
    # bringbacktheraft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

When ? I am waiting...

Is it slightly Dublin where you are??

Aren't we great for the old sarcasm, eh?

LOL!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,905 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Born and raised in Salthill remember doing that well when we progressed to cars we would go to the end of the prom and do car races with wind power only blowing us down the prom, great days meant to add the winner would be who got furthest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭HorrorScope

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    Aren't we great for the old sarcasm, eh?

LOL!

It’s not sarcasm at all - a lot of people posting nonsense here who were only on yellow until 6pm. If you go by them, the national average reading comprehension is that of a 6 year old.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Born and raised in Salthill remember doing that well when we progressed to cars we would go to the end of the prom and do car races with wind power only blowing us down the prom, great days

Loved staying in Galway city centre last year during the heatwave, until I moved to Salthill and it was bitter in the wind!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Deck chair is wrecked:D:D

8d7.jpg

It’s not sarcasm at all - a lot of people posting nonsense here who were only on yellow until 6pm. If you go by them, the national average reading comprehension is that of a 6 year old.

I know, I know.
    People need a bit of chatter. That's all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

what kind of tree is that @ the start seems to have white branches

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭vladmydad

Ehh I thought there was meant to be a storm today ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭squarecircles

lashing into it proper now, west Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

vladmydad wrote: »
    nope Lorenzo stopped thought about coming to Ire and said fck that not going to die here :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭Reati

scamalert wrote: »
    nope Lorenzo stopped thought about coming to Ire and said fck that not going to die here :pac:

'Twas better to die 'as an Irish sky
    Than at Suvla or Sud el Bar. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    A kite surfer had to airlifted after smashing into rocks in high winds

Nominee for a Darwin Award right there

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭naughto

Sure is gone very nasty out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,989 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Picking up here in Westport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

vladmydad wrote: »

There is, but unless you are right on the west coast you probably wont notice anything other than a normal autumn evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Looks a bit sad really

lorenzo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

Loughc wrote: »
    WTF, it’s not due to hit until over night in Dublin.

So why are so many businesses closing today and tomorrow or recommending working from home. Its all just way OTT

• Advertisement

Something to keep ye smiling

Advertisement