Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm Lorenzo Chat Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

kerryjack wrote: »
    not looking great now for a lad that wants a few old sheds taken down.

The wind should take care of that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No one got barred from weather , off topic posts were removed and instructions given as to where posts should be . :rolleyes:

still all the side swipes at commenter and presenters? ah well! we live in an imperfect worldl! wish there was a copy of my post though; spent a long while writing it in good faith

over and out from me on this. blessings and peace

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Just heard Evelyn say the islands along the west coast will get the worst.

Stay safe Graces.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

Graces7 wrote: »
    Not. they changed the header on me! literally!

It was not a poem; it was a very detailed assessment of prestorm weather conditions that was relevant unless you are a complete tech addict.

The crazy thing is that the thread is full of nasty comments re forecasters and presenters anyways. Inconsistent .. will probably get banned for asking the mods that!

ah well! dreading the next while out here frankly .. hibernation?

Stay safe Graces7 I will be thinking of you out there.

Any chance you could put back up my trampoline for sale post?
    I need it sold by evening.ðŸ˜႒ðŸ˜႒
    adverts is your only man for that :cool:

Price it right and it will just fly out the door! ;-))

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,883 ✭✭✭pauldry

This could still be very bad in Sligo

Eleanor was very bad and it peaked at 120kph

But this looks like weakening considerably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

adverts is your only man for that :cool:

Never seen him posting in the weather forum..is he another blow in?

Pun intended :D

still all the side swipes at commenter and presenters? ah well! we live in an imperfect worldl! wish there was a copy of my post though; spent a long while writing it in good faith

over and out from me on this. blessings and peace

:-(( I was just going to ask if you could repost it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Times like this when I wonder if there is any benefit if local authorities had a central communication website where people could go for updates on areas and actually submit warnings (tree down etc). Does seem odd that there is nothing like that in this day and age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Does a red warning legally oblige employers to give a paid day off to employees?

No but if they were to get injured as a result of ignoring said red warning then there would be a liability issue

• Advertisement

sideswipe wrote: »
    The technical thread was only tidied up......a storm in a tea cup, much like this hurricane looks like being.

If your reading this Grace, please keep posting, look forward to your vivid descriptions of the wild and wonderful west coast.

Here; bloodied but unbowed!

What I wrote earlier... simply close observation which is what we relied on..

I went for my early ramble.. Utter flat silent calm. The kind of silence that has you holding your breath. Layer after layer of grey cloud and only a couple of palest rose patches to show the sun had risen.

Not a breath of wind.. all so utterly unusual out here and the phrase " calm before the storm"? Must have some basis in fact. Really ominous

I have no tech knowledge. No ability in that direction. But a close interaction with the weather out here and all the old ways of warning

Drumpot wrote: »
    Times like this when I wonder if there is any benefit if local authorities had a central communication website where people could go for updates on areas and actually submit warnings (tree down etc). Does seem odd that there is nothing like that in this day and age.

Most of the local councils have a web site with warnings therein. Have a look? They are up to date and accurate

:-(( I was just going to ask if you could repost it here.

summarised but not as good as the original! sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Most of the local councils have a web site with warnings therein. Have a look? They are up to date and accurate

Not easy to find on Meath or Louth ones if the do have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Love how Lorenzo will respect county borders and not stray over them. Orange in Limerick, I'm 5 kms from Limerick border into Tipp and about 10kms from Cork one. Sound of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

Graces7 wrote:
    summarised but not as good as the original! sorry!

I tried to support you all the way Grace, but they took down my comment too. I also saw some condacending stuff thrown out that weren't too nice, ah well. Please keep us updated if you can all the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

skinny90 wrote: »
    No but if they were to get injured as a result of ignoring said red warning then there would be a liability issue

Surely its an employees choice to go to work on a red warning or stay at home without pay?

I'm gonna guess that cycling to work tomorrow is out of the question....

endainoz wrote: »
    I tried to support you all the way Grace, but they took down my comment too. I also saw some condacending stuff thrown out that weren't too nice, ah well. Please keep us updated if you can all the same!

thanks and please worry not!
    everyone including myself is overtired

Thought you all might enjoy seeing an UPRIGHT island cow, if you remember the posts way back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Love how Lorenzo will respect county borders and not stray over them. Orange in Limerick, I'm 5 kms from Limerick border into Tipp and about 10kms from Cork one. Sound of it.

Common sense applies FFS. The same can be said about elevation, exposure to the wind direction etc etc. It’s a general guideline for your area.

• Advertisement

easypazz wrote: »
    Surely its an employees choice to go to work on a red warning or stay at home without pay?

Not when your boss tells you to be in or else.

https://www.thejournal.ie/storm-ophelia-work-guidelines-3689993-Nov2017/

One of the comments on that:
    My partner’s company sent an email out stating that only people travelling from outside Co. Dublin were excused from work, anyone else not showing up would face disciplinary action. All well and good saying employees should stand up for themselves, but would you rather the threat of dismissal, appeal, WRC meetings and potential unfair dismissal suit or just take the chance and drive to work?

Thought you all might enjoy seeing an UPRIGHT island cow, if you remember the posts way back!

Upright Island Cow looks most concerned!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 312 ✭✭73bc61lyohr0mu

I have to drive a large van from Limerick City to Dublin at 1am on Friday morning and then down to Tralee. It's gonna be an interesting drive..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,878 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Samsgirl wrote: »

Have to agree with that Sligo is included yet it's right next to Donegal I can never understand their thinking , surely storm force winds can cross the borders, also why don't they start down at Cork and work North instead of the way it's posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

thanks and please worry not!
    everyone including myself is overtired

Good too see them upright! There will be no fear of the animals, they'll always be smart enough to find shelter. My cattle test reading on Friday morning will be interesting!

Said it a couple of years ago but I think they need to tweak the warning vicinities. Doing it by county is stupid and should be done by distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Said it a couple of years ago but I think they need to tweak the warning vicinities. Doing it by county is stupid and should be done by distance.

Distance from what?

The should do it by townland or electoral area.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I'm gonna guess that cycling to work tomorrow is out of the question....

Why? Where you cycling on the West coastline? Otherwise you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,301 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Have to agree with that Sligo is included yet it's right next to Donegal I can never understand their thinking , surely storm force winds can cross the borders, also why don't they start down at Cork and work North instead of the way it's posted.

hate to be pedantic (but love it when i get the opportunity !)

donegal is not next to sligo leitrim is in the way :P

• Advertisement

endainoz wrote: »
    Good too see them upright! There will be no fear of the animals, they'll always be smart enough to find shelter. My cattle test reading on Friday morning will be interesting!

These here are so well cared for. and they will be taken in before the bad weather hits.

It is so unearthly QUIET still, as if holding its breath. #

Advertisement