Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The worst kid's name you've ever heard?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Any kids name which is deliberately changed to be cool. Recently heard of Kallum instead of Callum. Forever that kid is going to have to correct people when they misspell his name.
    Also know of a Ryan spelt Rhyne and Erin spelt Erran.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This thread really destroys one's faith in humanity...

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

Samsgirl wrote: »
    Any kids name which is deliberately changed to be cool. Recently heard of Kallum instead of Callum. Forever that kid is going to have to correct people when they misspell his name.

I've seen in a magazine once Harriet spelled as Harri-Ette. There are no words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

Watching a Mary Berry 'Big house' Christmas special the other night when the name of the designer of the gardens came to light...none other than Capability Brown. His mother named him Lancelot but was known throughout his life as Capability.

I know it's slightly o/t but he was a kid once even though he was an adult when the name stuck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭Mena Mitty

I've seen in a magazine once Harriet spelled as Harri-Ette. There are no words.

I've seen Callum spelled with an i as in Callium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Still Astra. Posted about this kid before. Still at the same **** in a shop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 416 ✭✭Thermoman12

The worst names I’ve ever heard is Pegasus and dequavis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Johnnyhpipe

The worst names I’ve ever heard is Pegasus and dequavis

Cool horse names. If you name your kids that though you deserve a swift kick in the gee.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭holliehobbie

Anselm said with a Donegal accent is one of the worst I've heard. Never came across anyone else with the same name since.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Mena Mitty wrote: »

like colm and column ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

ijQEeSyF.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Samsgirl wrote: »

I know of a Kyle whose name is spelled Kylle, in order it to be an anagram for his mams name, which is Kelly. I think Kylle looks like its pronounced "Kill" anyway so it doesn't even make sense.
    Like why even bother.
    She goes nuts when people spell it wrong, as if we should all intuitively recognise her creativity and know she spells it a stupid way right off the bat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

Never happened..........

Oh yes it did Sherlock ! You wouldn't believe it until see it. Swear on the life of everyone I know that this was a womans name who I dealt with in work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

There is a girl in my cousins class called La-a pronounced ladasha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

oLoonatic wrote: »

No there isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,155 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Urban Myth

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 255 ✭✭PuppyMcPupFace

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Urban Myth

Given there are several kids registered in the USA called Hashtag I'd be inclined to believe the worst!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

No there isn't.
    iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Urban Myth

Ha you reeled a few in there fairly handy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭boardise

Oh yes it did Sherlock ! You wouldn't believe it until see it. Swear on the life of everyone I know that this was a womans name who I dealt with in work.

A Google search informs that a Gertie Corry ( neé Scutter) died in Dublin in 2009 aged 92.
    One also gets the surname Scudder which is probably a related form .

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Mena Mitty wrote: »

Sounds like it should belong on the periodic table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Might have been mentioned before. Actress Shannon Sossaman has 2 sons. The second lad was christened Mortimer but the first born was christened Audio Science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

Not sure how i found this video but had to share

Watch the below video from 3.48

https://youtu.be/SViItH3FlXY

Some of the worst bunch of names i have ever heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭cazwhatever

The children range in age from 20 to 6 months. Names: .. from oldest to youngest, Leonardo, Cleopatra, Jerusalem, D'Artangnan, Shakespeare, Romeo, Nefertiti, King James, Aphrodite and, finally Omega.

https://tattle.life/threads/taina-licciardo-toivola-ten-children-all-dressed-in-white-and-an-invisible-husband.237/

Wow, they are shocking!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Kolton.

I'm honestly not sure if I've just completely made that up or if some stun-hun full-time Mammy I have mutual friends with called her offspring that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭optogirl

Omackeral wrote: »
    Kolton.

I'm honestly not sure if I've just completely made that up or if some stun-hun full-time Mammy I have mutual friends with called her offspring that.

There's a Colton in my kid's pre-school class

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

There is something very strange about that family. The parents are doomsdayers who preach about the coming apocalypse. It's weird that the kids, who range in age from baby to older teen, all wear jeans and a white top. They can't have individual identities. It's like a cult or something :confused:

American pro golfer called Colt Knost. Sounds like a guy who dines on raw buffalo and spends his time logging in the outback.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

boardise wrote: »
    American pro golfer called Colt Knost. Sounds like a guy who dines on raw buffalo and spends his time logging in the outback.

Now there's a sport with more than its fair share of weird names. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Xander Schauffele
    Bryson DeChambeau

Golf names are catching up on NFL names in a big way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Sorry to be so indulgent.

But when my mother was carted off to A+E in her last illness six weeks ago, we had to listen to the screaming of Rocky, Rocky are you OK. Get them doctors to sort you out. It was fkn mayhem. They all arrived one after the other.

Not a good experience for us with a very ill mother but the staff were brilliant, but they must just raise their eyes now and then.

Hat tip to the emergency services including A+E.

Travellers shout really loud. That is my experience over many years.

Was this in Limerick by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Was looking at a baby names book with my friend and at the start there's a page with some names that were banned in New Zealand...

Fat Boy, Fish and Chips (twins), Stallion and my personal favorite, Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii :pac:

Names that were not banned by the same officials included Benson and Hedges (twins), Superman (changed from 4real) and Number 16 Bus Shelter :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Lorelli! wrote: »
    Was looking at a baby names book with my friend and at the start there's a page with some names that were banned in New Zealand...

Fat Boy, Fish and Chips (twins), Stallion and my personal favorite, Talula Does The Hula From Hawaii :pac:

Names that were not banned by the same officials included Benson and Hedges (twins), Superman (changed from 4real) and Number 16 Bus Shelter :/

I wonder where Number 16 Bus Shelter was conceived.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

A woman on the radio yesterday said her baby is called Suin. I've looked it up, it is Irish. But it was pronounced Shoe-in that poor girl is going to have the same joke said to her, her entire life!

A woman on the radio yesterday said her baby is called Suin. I've looked it up, it is Irish. But it was pronounced Shoe-in that poor girl is going to have the same joke said to her, her entire life!

Pronounced more Shoon than Shoe In

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I know a Siún.

The name has one syllable. Shoon. Not Shoo-in.

Definitely not Shoe-in. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 635 ✭✭✭heretothere

Pherekydes wrote: »
    I know a Siún.

The name has one syllable. Shoon. Not Shoo-in.

Definitely not Shoe-in. ;)

That's the way the mother pronounced it anyway, maybe it was the accent.

Heard yesterday that a cousin’s grand-daughter was going to be named “Pepsi”. Parents chose an almost equally bizarre name for child and its sibling which I won’t give here for fear of identification of the individuals. If Pepsi had. Even chosen, maybe sibling could have been named “Fanta” or “SevenUp” etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Worse things to be in life than a permanent shoe-in.

There are a lot of w@nkey Irish girls names which will cause them delays at passport control and Starbucks for the rest of their lives. Etaoin, Isolde, Mebdh, Sadhbdhbdhbdhbdhbdhb..., basically they are all terrible names.

What did I name mine? Laura and David. Never a hitch at the passport desk yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Zephen Xavar.

He's the guy who shot and killed 5 people in Florida recently :confused:

http://time.com/5511989/who-is-zephen-xaver/

Heard yesterday that a cousin’s grand-daughter was going to be named “Pepsi”. Parents chose an almost equally bizarre name for child and its sibling which I won’t give here for fear of identification of the individuals. If Pepsi had. Even chosen, maybe sibling could have been named “Fanta” or “SevenUp” etc.

Ah that's lovely, they could have a play date with my twins, Tango and Sprite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

In the village I grew up in the male dentist's name was Vivian. Always seemed like a feminine name to me but apparently a lot of men are named so.

I came to post this. You must have grown up in the same village as me.

Perhaps they're missing the same idiot with us both on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Found out today that a girl I went to Uni with has named her baby Paisley. Unsure if it's a boy or a girl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

I saw 'Rya' the other day, a girl.

RWCNT wrote: »
    Found out today that a girl I went to Uni with has named her baby Paisley. Unsure if it's a boy or a girl.

Prince fan by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Bigbagofcans

Larbre34 wrote: »
    There are a lot of w@nkey Irish girls names which will cause them delays at passport control and Starbucks for the rest of their lives. Etaoin, Isolde, Mebdh, Sadhbdhbdhbdhbdhbdhb..., basically they are all terrible names.

I've an unusual name and I've never been delayed at passport control. Who gives a sh1t about what name you get on your cup at Starbucks?

Sometimes "playing it safe" with a name you can just be another name that always needs a surname (like the 8 Lauras in my year at school). A bit more complicated than a name on a Starbucks cup eh?

What needs to be borne in mind is that the name is the sound -not the spelling.
    Sound is basic and primary -spelling is only a late unstructured overlay. Humans could speak long before they could write.
    So it's a common sense point to make that people can bring a lot of unnecessary frustration and delay on themselves and others by using archaic spellings for simple sounds. e.g. the forms 'Sadhbh' , Maedhbh etc. are complicated spellings for sounds that could be written accurately as 'Sive' ( cf. J B Keane's play) and 'Mave' (or even 'Maeve')
    Some people fall for the etymological fallacy and think that spellings should never change from the first version that was used centuries ago. Thankfully this tosh is only subscribed to by the fanatical few. Would anyone in their right mind seriously suggest that a name like 'Traolach O Flatharta ' should be spelled Toirdhealbhach O Flaithbheartaigh or that 'Bríd Ní Laoire' should be unleashed on the world as 'Brighid Ní Laoghaire' ?

boardise wrote: »
    What needs to be borne in mind is that the name is the sound -not the spelling.
    Sound is basic and primary -spelling is only a late unstructured overlay. Humans could speak long before they could write.
    So it's a common sense point to make that people can bring a lot of unnecessary frustration and delay on themselves and others by using archaic spellings for simple sounds. e.g. the forms 'Sadhbh' , Maedhbh etc. are complicated spellings for sounds that could be written accurately as 'Sive' ( cf. J B Keane's play) and 'Mave' (or even 'Maeve')
    Some people fall for the etymological fallacy and think that spellings should never change from the first version that was used centuries ago. Thankfully this tosh is only subscribed to by the fanatical few. Would anyone in their right mind seriously suggest that a name like 'Traolach O Flatharta ' should be spelled Toirdhealbhach O Flaithbheartaigh or that 'Bríd Ní Laoire' should be unleashed on the world as 'Brighid Ní Laoghaire' ?

Isn't it strange that Russians and Japanese and Nepalese and Croatians all manage to hold on to their heritage and names are proud of them . But as soon as some Irish see beautiful old names they suddenly find them " strange "

What you have forgotten is the many names also came after the wriitten language evolved and have meaning .

I have an Irish name and have never had an issue with abroad . Most people who encounter it will politely ask how it's pronounced and make a great effort . Funnily enough only in Ireland will people look at it like its an alien name

iamwhoiam - You're missing the point completely and are totally muddled.
    In one breath you're talking about ' holding on' to names and in the next breath you're talking about 'evolving'.
    Then you refer to 'beautiful old names ' . What's 'beautiful' about them ? Are all names 'beautiful' because the're old ?
    What are the criteria by which this mythical 'beauty' might be measured ?
    The people who lived from millennia before us did indeed change the way they pronounced words -this is a universal phenomenon. The changes are invariably for purposes of simplification .Only a fool would choose change that led to increased aural, visual or articulatory processing .
    The essential point here is that superfluous complexity is loaded on to personal names from a whimsical or snobbish striving after an assumed status ascribed to anything unusual.
    Sorry to tell you -your vapourings are nothing but half-baked taurine excrement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Worse things to be in life than a permanent shoe-in.

Stop trolling the gailgores

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

I came to post this. You must have grown up in the same village as me.

Perhaps they're missing the same idiot with us both on here.

You just quoted yourself :confused:

I also know of a guy called Vivian but he's elderly so it's probably very rare now.

Advertisement