Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,674 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

George Lee, science correspondent on RTÉ, since when, this time last year he was up to his knees in cow****e in a byre in Roscommon!

A man who wouldn't be first on my list to man the trenches with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭jelutong

He is a tremendous bore. I can’t bear to watch him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭garrettod

jelutong wrote: »
    He is a tremendous bore. I can’t bear to watch him.

Left his job in RTE...

Went onto politics, bottled it, ran off with his tail between his legs...

Gets another job in RTE..

How fortunite!

It must be great to have friends in RTE, who can set you up with a good paying job, whenever you need one.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,305 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Wasn't his job held open for a year so he could come back if it didn't work out...am sure I read that at the time

In fact don't they all have some clause in their contract they can go on a junket and come back to their job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

George Lee
    Was a T.D.
    He said t'was a racket
    He couldn't hack it
    And then he had to flee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

George Lee
    Was a T.D.
    He said t'was a racket
    He couldn't hack it
    And then he had to flee.
    +
    Back to his job in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Elmo wrote: »
    I'd be one of those people and the question raised was RTÉ using people assoicated with them for a celeb show and the answer weather I like or you like it is, absolutely they are using retirees, former presenters and staff associated with RTÉ.

Anne Doyle ... Not everyone watching RTÉ news...

Wasn't exactly too helpful to see that Brendan Courtney crap couldn't even get the geography of Ireland right.

(Didn't watch it, saw twitter getting mad).

Something about 'Ferns Co Wicklow', when Ferns is in Wexford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Wasn't exactly too helpful to see that Brendan Courtney crap couldn't even get the geography of Ireland right.

(Didn't watch it, saw twitter getting mad).

Something about 'Ferns Co Wicklow', when Ferns is in Wexford.

Twitter going mad?

Or 1-2 people posted about it :P

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Twitter going mad?

Or 1-2 people posted about it :P

I'd say it was people being like 'JESUS-DON'T BLAME ANNE DOYLE ON US!!!' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Noticed the last few weeks that rtes sports reporters are stealing a living.

They are coming on every hour to tell us nothing. How long are they going to do that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

NIMAN wrote: »

They are coming on every hour to tell us nothing. How long are they going to do that?

If anything during this time sports reporters should be let go across all media, or else utilised in other areas. And Game On continues on 2FM?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,135 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Elmo wrote: »
    If anything during this time sports reporters should be let go across all media, or else utilised in other areas. And Game On continues on 2FM?

Rarely listened to Game On anyway.

What are they filling their time with?

To be fair though, you could say that a lot about RTE staffing. Its bloated.

If you listen to Eileen read the news on TV, or one of the Morning Ireland presenters, they tell you about a story. They basically give you the main details you need to know. But then they have to hand over to a 'special correspondent' such as Fergal Bowers (current flavour of the month) or Paul Reynolds, who tell you it all again with maybe some different wording and a little padding, but which doesn't really leave you any wiser than what you were told originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

To be fair though, you could say that a lot about RTE staffing. Its bloated.
    The fact that they have 70+ managers tells a story in itself.
    (Wonder will RTE Investigates look into this?)

RTE in its present format is a money pit that the stretched tax payer cannot afford anymore.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

It was even announced last week that there will be no more sports bulletins on teh daily news for the foreseeable future...

so with that I presume they'll all be temporarily laid off, and will have to make do on €350 per week??

It was even announced last week that there will be no more sports bulletins on teh daily news for the foreseeable future...

so with that I presume they'll all be temporarily laid off, and will have to make do on €350 per week??

Seriously!! bit of cop on now

These people will have contracts. They will continue to get paid like a huge percentage of the population.

Yes people are been let go, people are been put on social welfare, this is terrible but it is not the case for everyone. Trying to bash RTE for having contracts with people at a time like this is stupid and childish.

Yes people are been let go, people are been put on social welfare, this is terrible but it is not the case for everyone. Trying to bash RTE for having contracts with people at a time like this is stupid and childish.

I think people are pointing to the fact that other media organizations are cut wages. Though I’d question why wireless, virgin media and communicorp have to reduce wages or lay people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A total collapse of advertising revenue, most media outlets taking pay cuts across the board, whoy are RTE not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

All their highest earners are already dead ;)

Nah, the pressure will come cos the government is not going to put money into RTE when there's about 400,000 on the social. It'll be a heroic sacrifice for the good of the nation by Tubbs et al when it comes complete with splashy stories in Independent

A total collapse of advertising revenue, most media outlets taking pay cuts across the board, whoy are RTE not?

Apparently it is stupid and childish to ask this logical-sounding question.

Kivaro wrote: »

Still questions over any cuts at the other big broadcasters, while Virgin media aren’t cutting I their subscription is far more valuable than VM televisions ad revenue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,409 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm not a big sports fan myself but I know a lot who are.
    I'd rather see the sports department putting together some programmes to appeal to them at this time.

They have already lost the visits to the pubs/bookies as well as the sports themselves.
    I'm sure they would appreciate a bit of archive stuff and sports chat.

For sports enthusiasts the talking about it is as important as the actual match or race.
    I heard Damien Lawlor on chatting with SO'R today, that sort of thing.

Kivaro wrote: »

The post I replied to was to stick them on the social welfare which is stupid

It would cost more for RTÉ to sack them and rehire them in a few weeks....

Nothing was mentioned about reducing wages....

As I posted numerous times, wages should be tied into advertising, but harder with news people but if advertising collapses then I would hope all staff have to reduce wages

All their highest earners are already dead ;)

Nah, the pressure will come cos the government is not going to put money into RTE when there's about 400,000 on the social. It'll be a heroic sacrifice for the good of the nation by Tubbs et al when it comes complete with splashy stories in Independent

I wanted to laugh, but Jesus that's dark.

Truthful, but dark.

RTÉ I guess have the right to the 2009 grand slam, why not play a match every evening? With the new craze around rugby it wil the first time a lot of people have seen those games

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

That's the thing. They must have a wealth of archives. I'd even watch a few series of Glenroe over repeats of Dancing with the stars and reality house renovation stuff.

sligojoek wrote: »
    That's the thing. They must have a wealth of archives. I'd even watch a few series of Glenroe over repeats of Dancing with the stars and reality house renovation stuff.

Bachelor's Walk, Paths to Freedom.. plenty of em going to be shown on TV over the quarantine.

They did change the title of 'Operation Covid 19' due to a large backlash. People called it ghoulish, since folks are dying.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,409 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Put on a classic match or race etc. and follow up with a bit of chat and banter with those involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

sligojoek wrote: »

There is plenty of stuff in the archives that would be a lot better than the rubbish the keep churning out nowadays to keep their buddies in work.

A typical example was the documentary about Jack Charlton, The Boys In Green shown a few weeks back, it wouldn't have cost a lot to make and and turned out a very enjoyable program, and that's from someone that has no interest in soccer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

elperello wrote: »
    Put on a classic match or race etc. and follow up with a bit of chat and banter with those involved.

I nominate the 1998 Belgian GP.

• Advertisement

When this lock-down was put in place initially, I foolishly expected that RTE might step up and change their regular rubbish and replace it with uplifting programs and sports events similarly to the ones listed above. Another item to include would be classic films. Where in the hell are they?

RTE is totally detached from Irish society.
    If it does not benefit their stars or staff, then it shall not be done ......... unless there is firm attitude adjustment suggestions from outside RTE's gilded cocoon.

Advertisement