Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New neighbour applies for permission for monstrous extension - without telling us

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Mango Joe wrote: »
    You're confusing people having a reverent respect for the letter of the law and a love for the great beauty and elegance of the bureaucratic machine with someone being a honest, decent and likeable human being.

In my experience when people try and get to where they want to be by being calculated, sneaky and underhanded then they most often get the reaction they deserve - And when they don't it's a great pity.

A colleague of mine told me years ago that he had bought a house and had plans to build a monster 2 story extension right up against the wall with the neighbor.
    I asked him what did the neighbor think of that. He said that that night himself and the wife were going to call over with a bottle of wine and the plans and sweet talk them.
    I never followed up to see how that went :)

Imagine the door bell rings. Oh, we are your new neighbors, came over to say hello. Here is a bottle of wine.
    Come in. Lets open the wine. (oh these seem like lovely new neighbors)
    Out come the plans.
    What? Is that what you brought the fcuking wine over for. You total scheming scum.
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Far too many monstrosities appearing in the middle of lovely little estates

we have very few well designed estates in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Jimmy sounds like the kind of lad who would leave a note on your windscreen for parking on "his part" of a public road.

Shocked at the amount of posts on here basically snarking at the OP and saying "what's wrong with you? - Sure your Neighbour doesn't have to say a thing to you before building a massive structure beside your house and garden blocking all your sunlight and turning your pleasant back garden into a bleak, dark, grim and damp area" - Similar scenario for rooms that once had lovely natural sunlight throughout the day.

I presume most people would regard courtesy, decency and basic manners as being good personal attributes to have - Why wouldn't the same apply here?

In my opinion anyone with a scrap of common sense with neighbours would prefer to have civil, pleasant, friction-free dealings with them where at all possible.

It says a lot about people when they laugh at someone who is dismayed at a lack of common decency - Some people are just w@nkers themselves and simply admire the classic signs of this trait in others I suppose......

the neighbours probably should have consulted but they were under no obligation to do so, simple as that. from experience, i also doubt the proposed works are anywhere near what was originally described, if they indeed are then it would most likely be refused. id need to see the drawings to be sure of course but this tends to be the way it actually is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You're confusing people having a reverent respect for the letter of the law and a love for the great beauty and elegance of the bureaucratic machine with someone being a honest, decent and likeable human being.

In my experience when people try and get to where they want to be by being calculated, sneaky and underhanded then they most often get the reaction they deserve - And when they don't it's a great pity.
    What you consider to be "basic courtesy" by telling a neighbour of your plans, some neighbours consider it an opening to have an opinion.

It takes some experience to know how to frame and direct the conversation. You're telling the neighbour out of common courtesy what you're doing, you're not asking for their approval or even their opinion. The conversation is not, "What do you think, is this OK?". It's, "This is happening, do what you need to be prepared".

Unfortunately no matter how assertive you may be, some neighbours will still think they're entitled to have you hear their opinion about your extension.

Some people have been burned enough times that they forgo the common courtesy completely because they see it as a waste of time.

Far too many monstrosities appearing in the middle of lovely little estates.
    Houses are altered far too much when building extensions afaiac..

Jimmy, not everyone wants the same little house as their neighbours in a lively little estate. If the house is for life, more room may be needed/wanted as families grow, and personally, I’d like my house to be different to the 100 others in the estate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

Dav010 wrote: »
    personally, I’d like my house to be different to the 100 others in the estate.

I disagree completely. I live in a well designed older estate where all exterior walls are white and all windows have the same design. Now new people are moving in and painting in different colours and changing the window design. It smacks of "this is mine and don't mistake it for anyone elses" and is ruining the clean cut look of the whole place.

crossman47 wrote: »
    I disagree completely. I live in a well designed older estate where all exterior walls are white and all windows have the same design. Now new people are moving in and painting in different colours and changing the window design. It smacks of "this is mine and don't mistake it for anyone elses" and is ruining the clean cut look of the whole place.

Human nature, not everyone wants everything to look the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

Dav010 wrote: »
    Human nature, not everyone wants everything to look the same.

I agree, it's boring, we live on a street of about 100 houses where all windows are the same, all windows are small panes in squares like 30cm x 20cm , horrible things.

We changed them to one big pane of clear glass. Murder there was, letters from neighbours and the residents association giving out.

They object to anything and everything.

But go look on the planning map and you'll see over half of the members of the residents association have had building work and changes done with no objections. Hmmmm.

Mostly a bunch of arseholes with too much time on their hands. Or they can't handle that someone's house could look better than theirs.

They still knock and leave messages at our door if our grass is over 1 inch, they get told to go **** themselves on a regulars basis. Apart from that, lovely area :pac:

EDIT: we also have a wanker at the back of us, we had trees there against the boundary wall, nothing majorly high. They complained about sun light all the time, they weren't getting any. So we got rid of them, cost us thousands.

What does he do? builds a huge workshop, the height of it was larger than the trees and spans wider than the trees that were there so he still has no sunlight.

**** the neighbours is what i say, you own your house and your property, If you want to build and it's all within the regs then who gives a **** what they think. I couldn't give a rats ass if i can't wave and say hello to mary from next door anymore. My life goes on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My own opinion is that you should not be allowed to alter the outside of any house apart from sprucing it up.
    You keep it as it was when you bought it and sell it if it doesnt suit anymore and buy one that does.

That is some carzy sh1t, right there. Needless to say, I wouldn't agree with that in any way.

Just a couple of days ago I stopped along a road near me to have a chat with a young woman to compliment her on the amazing job she and her husband had done in buying and doing up an old cottage and transforming it into something modern and sleek, where they expanded the available living area considerably by building a slightly larger, complimentary structure next to the transformed original.

Times change, families change, society changes and buildings often need to change to better fit the era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭crossman47

cnocbui wrote: »
    That is some carzy sh1t, right there. Needless to say, I wouldn't agree with that in any way.

Just a couple of days ago I stopped along a road near me to have a chat with a young woman to compliment her on the amazing job she and her husband had done in buying doing up an old cottage and transforming it into something modern and sleek, where they expanded the available living area considerably by building a slightly larger, complimentary structure next to the transformed original.

Times change, faimilys change, society changes and buildings often need to change to better fit the era.

That's fine for a one off but not a house in a housing estate that was well designed originally but becomes a hotch potch over time.

That's fine for a one off but not a house in a housing estate that was well designed originally but becomes a hotch potch over time.

again, the chances of it actually being well designed are next to nil to be perfectly honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's no Borg estates in this country where all houses are maintained to the same standard.

That's a pipe dream.
    .you should be happy new people are taking pride in their property rather than the borg houses aging and looking nothing like when they went up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,295 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Suckit wrote: »
    The couple had tried to argue that a tree had been there or something, but it didn't matter, whatever their argument was.

Very illuminating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,552 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Finding a housing estate that was well designed is going to be a hard search in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭Treppen

That's the law of the universe, everything breaks down, it's entropy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,497 ✭✭✭cml387

Treppen wrote: »
    That's the law of the universe, everything breaks down, it's entropy.

From planning disputes to the Second Law of Thermodynamics.

Advertisement