Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New neighbour applies for permission for monstrous extension - without telling us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

OP - just 2 things that stood out for me. In terms of getting to know neighbours, when I moved into my previous house, myself and my partner kept to ourselves. We'd smile and wave at neighbours but we weren't popping into them. It wasn't out of badness but we're private people and didn't necessarily want that kind of relationship with neighbours. Also on the keeping their old house - if they're planning on doing a large amount of building work, this would be a good idea as they're not going to want to live in a building site. I've had friends who rented a house for 3 months while getting a lot less work being done as they couldn't face living in it. It wouldn't indicate to me that they're planning to "flip" the house shortly after finishing the building work.

While it would have been nice of them to let you know, they realistically haven't done anything wrong and they did text you to let you know.

If you have objections, write them out clearly and leave all emotion out of it. The planning authorities don't care about how you feel. I'd be inclined to put the points in order of diminishing impact on your property. I'd also raise any concerns you have about access during the build as part of this. However you need to be aware that if there is precedent in the area for it to be granted, then it may well be despite your objections.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

"Last Wednesday I got a text message from the wifey telling me that a "site notice" had gone up for "a rear extension"".

Definition of wifey in English:
    wifey
    (also wifie)
    NOUN
    informal
    1A condescending way of referring to a person's wife.

There will be trouble ahead here , especially if new neighbours recognise themselves from this thread !!
    (assuming "wifey" refers to the neighbour)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Yup I wasn't aware of that either. Thanks for posting.

That has real implications for me given they intend building right up to that glass roof we erected and paid for covering our passageway.

Presumably given the Act (I read the sections there) they'd be able to enter our property and in fact remove our glass roof to finish their wall on their side as it would actually be classed as a party wall.

A lot of homeowners wouldn't be aware of that.

You do realise that your attachment of the glass roof to the party structure impacts on the adjacent property in a similar manner to their proposed development?

I do think that you need to step back, remove the overwrought emotion and coldly assess what outcome is acceptable to you. It might be that you could enhance your own property during their works, eg you could ask for them to remove your glass roof for the period of the build and reinstate it with insulation?

Taking argumentative positions without a focus on the outcome will simply make you resent your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,279 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mikeymouse wrote: »
    "Last Wednesday I got a text message from the wifey telling me that a "site notice" had gone up for "a rear extension"".

wifey
    (also wifie)
    NOUN
    informal

There will be trouble ahead here , especially if new neighbours recognise themselves from this thread !!

I assumed he meant from his own wife

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Effects wrote: »
    What's that got to do with anything?

Even Trump has tastefully designed slats to allow the USA sun - best sun in the world - to shine in to Mexico.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

OP - just 2 things that stood out for me. In terms of getting to know neighbours, when I moved into my previous house, myself and my partner kept to ourselves. We'd smile and wave at neighbours but we weren't popping into them. It wasn't out of badness but we're private people and didn't necessarily want that kind of relationship with neighbours. Also on the keeping their old house - if they're planning on doing a large amount of building work, this would be a good idea as they're not going to want to live in a building site. I've had friends who rented a house for 3 months while getting a lot less work being done as they couldn't face living in it. It wouldn't indicate to me that they're planning to "flip" the house shortly after finishing the building work.

While it would have been nice of them to let you know, they realistically haven't done anything wrong and they did text you to let you know.

If you have objections, write them out clearly and leave all emotion out of it. The planning authorities don't care about how you feel. I'd be inclined to put the points in order of diminishing impact on your property. I'd also raise any concerns you have about access during the build as part of this. However you need to be aware that if there is precedent in the area for it to be granted, then it may well be despite your objections.

Thanks a mill and I totally get all that. ☺

I've walked the length of the road looking at existing extensions particularly the new contemporary ones. A number (not many) are two storey rear and side.

I went on to the DCC website afterwards and looked at the plans for those houses particularly the more pronounced developments. All of the plans had the "side passage" left as is. So next door appears to be an attempt to set a precedent. Hopefully a compromise can be reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Turbohymac

Irrelevant knowing neighbors or not and no they don't have to tell you of their intentions to build anything...but it's your rights to observe what they now intend to build and seek further details from your local planning office..then object but only if you have clearly outlined your genuine concerns...

I really appreciate the responses and I've calmed down a bit now.

Launching into objections against a neighbour isn't really my style but it's the path I'll have to go as the application is in.

I'll report back with an update as it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

mikeymouse wrote: »

wifey
    (also wifie)
    NOUN
    informal

I hear it used in a informal and used a pet term.

That it meant something else 200 yrs ago is often unknown to most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Marcusm wrote: »
    You do realise that your attachment of the glass roof to the party structure impacts on the adjacent property in a similar manner to their proposed development?

Quite different I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Hopefully a compromise can be reached.

This is probably the most civilized and rational post you've made so far on this topic.

Sit back and review the drawings, then make the observation in your own time, not in a panic now where you may rush it and let emotion get in the way of fact.

Hope the 2 of you come to a mutual agreement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

It was the other way around in your OP
    You are deliberately selectively misquoting me.

I think not. Please retract that scurrilous allegation.

Post 1:
    We caught a glimpse of them one day and they said hello then dropped in a Christmas card with their mobile numbers at Xmas to which we replied.

Post 27:
    I then dropped in a Christmas card with our mobiles on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ap73

Hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread but looking for a bit of advice myself. My neighbours are currently building an extension using the boundary wall previously fencing. They had a very brief conversation with my husband. My husband spoke with their builders and requested that all guttering be kept to their side. Builder instructed a paraphet wall would go up. The wall has now gone up and it is monstrous completing blocking any light into my kitchen from the side. I am not sure what kind of roof is going on the extension but am very concerned of any repercussions down the road should we decide to sell. The builder has instructed that we can build off this wall in the future and will save us money but at the moment I am more concerned with the lack of light coming into my home which has a north facing back garden. Is there a restriction to height of extension wall or do we just have to put up with it. I have never seen a party wall this height on any other extensions around here. At the moment it looks an eyesore and I am aware it will probably brighten up once rendered but still won't allow for the fact that I can no longer see the sky from my kitchen side door. It is a ground floor extension so didn't need planning permission. We will speak to the neighbours today but not sure if we have a case to ask them to reduce the wall height.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

professore wrote: »
    Even Trump has tastefully designed slats to allow the USA sun - best sun in the world - to shine in to Mexico.

USA is North of Mexico????

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Much appreciated. I will informally approach them and tell them I will be objecting, and will have to do so because they didn't consult with me in the first instance.

I agree with you they in all likelihood didn't want to draw my attention to the content in as far as possible.

They are not living in the house and (apparently) are not selling their existing house.

Don’t say your just objecting merely because they didn’t warn you, have you any idea how shockingly petty that sounds.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,037 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ap73 wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me jumping on this thread but looking for a bit of advice myself. My neighbours are currently building an extension using the boundary wall previously fencing. They had a very brief conversation with my husband. My husband spoke with their builders and requested that all guttering be kept to their side. Builder instructed a paraphet wall would go up. The wall has now gone up and it is monstrous completing blocking any light into my kitchen from the side. I am not sure what kind of roof is going on the extension but am very concerned of any repercussions down the road should we decide to sell. The builder has instructed that we can build off this wall in the future and will save us money but at the moment I am more concerned with the lack of light coming into my home which has a north facing back garden. Is there a restriction to height of extension wall or do we just have to put up with it. I have never seen a party wall this height on any other extensions around here. At the moment it looks an eyesore and I am aware it will probably brighten up once rendered but still won't allow for the fact that I can no longer see the sky from my kitchen side door. It is a ground floor extension so didn't need planning permission. We will speak to the neighbours today but not sure if we have a case to ask them to reduce the wall height.

You have no right to light, or right to a sky view. Once the requirements for exemption are met then what your neighbors are doing technically fine. Funnily enough, if you had have allowed the gutter, you probably would have a wall about 2 foot lower that what they are building.

Look at the positives. You now have a wall that you can buildings off on the future for free. You have a rendered boundary instead of a timber fence. You can trellis it with planting to take the harsh look off it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

_Brian wrote: »
    Don’t say your just objecting merely because they didn’t warn you, have you any idea how shockingly petty that sounds.

From the sounds if it, south facing garden and all, the planned 2 story extension is optimised for bringing light into the house during the evening. Which means its also pretty good at blocking the light into the OP's house and extension, that was built to optimise the light during the evenings. At a guess, in the height of summer, the majority of OP's house would be in shade by 5-6pm, 2-3 hours earlier then they are used too.

The solution to that would be for the OP to build out a large 2 story extension of similar size. Doing the same again to the neighbour beside them. Because there are already loads of 2 story extensions at the side and rear in the area and planning anything that already got permission is usually a sure thing. Its always the first in a area that creates a problem.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

ap73 wrote: »

Can you post a picture of what is happening on site?

From the sounds if it, south facing garden and all, the planned 2 story extension is optimised for bringing light into the house during the evening. Which means its also pretty good at blocking the light into the OP's house and extension, that was built to optimise the light during the evenings. At a guess, in the height of summer, the majority of OP's house would be in shade by 5-6pm, 2-3 hours earlier then they are used too.

The solution to that would be for the OP to build out a large 2 story extension of similar size. Doing the same again to the neighbour beside them. Because there are already loads of 2 story extensions at the side and rear in the area and planning anything that already got permission is usually a sure thing. Its always the first in a area that creates a problem.

Yes that's the general issue and I totally get that they need/want to develop.

The key issue here as I've identified is the precedent they are trying to set by going into that passageway, and then building the 19 feet wall at that point and form the side and rear extension around that.

It appears from the plans what they're trying to do is build a master bedroom, walk in dressing room and en suite from what is currently a box room, and access it by a very wide staircase and landing area from the front.

All fine and good except it will "wall me in" from a height like the lady a post or two above described and block out the light entering our glass roofed passageway, adjoining kitchen and breakfast room.

There's also the issue now of that wall if built possibly being a party wall under the new laws for which I will possibly will have responsibilities and have to give them works access.

For those reasons I don't think it unreasonable of me to think that as a courtesy I should have been told before the application went in.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

For those reasons I don't think it unreasonable of me to think that as a courtesy I should have been told before the application went in.

What difference would it make if they went ahead anyway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,217 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Absolutely without question.

Common courtesy is not that common I'm afraid.

They obviously have an idea about what they want to do. Unfortunately when you are nice about things like voluntary consultancy with neighbours, there are plenty out there who will request a change simply because they've been asked.

And if they ignored your input, there would be hard feelings.
    Best let the council or ABP adjudicate

kceire wrote: »
    Can you post a picture of what is happening on site?
    Hi Kceire,

I've sent the link to see the images by private message. Hope you can open them. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,792 ✭✭✭appledrop

Ap73 what height is boundary wall they have built. It can't be more then 2m without planning permission.

appledrop wrote: »
    Ap73 what height is boundary wall they have built. It can't be more then 2m without planning permission.

Hubby tells me its about 12 foot.

Just re read your post. It's actually more complicated as boundary wall seems to be actual wall of extension. Why did your husband agree to this. When anything involves building on/with the boundary wall this can't be done without the approval of neighbour. However it sounds like the builder did consult with your husband + he agreed.

An extension can be built higher than boundary wall 2m but still limits but not as sure of these. I'd get professional advice asap if I was you.

appledrop wrote: »
    Just re read your post. It's actually more complicated as boundary wall seems to be actual wall of extension. Why did your husband agree to this. When anything involves building on/with the boundary wall this can't be done without the approval of neighbour. However it sounds like the builder did consult with your husband + he agreed.

An extension can be built higher than boundary wall 2m but still limits but not as sure of these. I'd get professional advice asap if I was you.

Should that be from solicitor or architect? New to all this and want to maintain good relations. We're speaking to the builder tomorrow as confusion around what was actually agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Re OP, definitely lodge an objection to this proposed development if you consider it will adversely impact on your property. Get some professional advice and deal with it calmly and objectively.

It was most definitely unwise of your new neighbours not to consult you prior to developing these plans.

If in the unlikely case that they do get planning permission, then appeal it.

You can have these plans modified to take your needs into account and hold it up for years if necessary..

I'm not sure where you based but even linking with the planning dept in your local council is a good start. You may not be based in Dublin City but even if you look up their website, go to planning section + then frequently asked questions it has a whole heap of scenarios about extensions etc.

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Re OP, definitely lodge an objection to this proposed development if you consider it will adversely impact on your property. Get some professional advice and deal with it calmly and objectively.

It was most definitely unwise of your new neighbours not to consult you prior to developing these plans.

If in the unlikely case that they do get planning permission, then appeal it.

You can have these plans modified to take your needs into account and hold it up for years if necessary..

I really appreciate your post.

Some posters early on the thread (who I did not respond to) sought to paint me as being unreasonable for believing as a courtesy I should have been told. Their opinion is misguided and naive.

As there was no pre-plan consultation, I've been forced down the formal route of filing an objection against an adjoining occupant, which I would never normally do.

And as you say, if it goes to An Bord Pleanala they could now be looking at two to three years before they turn a brick.

All of this could have been avoided.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

I agree new neighbors should have at least out of courtesy chatted with the OP

Advertisement