Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

dulpit wrote: »
    I find it odd that you're using a rainbow avatar and spouting nonsense like this, but okay...

On topic: did anyone hear the segment about Whatsapp and security? Some TD was saying Whatsapp should allow governments/etc the ability to curb what is being sent on it, but couldn't see the inherent risks this would introduce re. security. The lad from the civil liberties crowd sounded very fed up trying to explain it..

Have I a rainbow avatar?

Never even noticed and don't know how I got it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

dulpit wrote: »
    On topic: did anyone hear the segment about Whatsapp and security? Some TD was saying Whatsapp should allow governments/etc the ability to curb what is being sent on it, but couldn't see the inherent risks this would introduce re. security. The lad from the civil liberties crowd sounded very fed up trying to explain it..

Colm Brophy, FG TD. Their go to guy for media appearances on domestic issues.

I thought the Civil Liberties fella was making some stupid points in defence of his side of the debate.

Hard to know which side is right or wrong on an issue like that

Seth Barrett Tillman is an incredibly lazy correspondent. He's not even trying.

"Mexico isn't going to pay for the wall"
    -Let's see. Who knows how [Trump] is going to pay for it?

He's only ever invited on air because he's one of the only Trump supporters in this country with any kind of profile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Seth Barrett Tillman is an incredibly lazy correspondent. He's not even trying.

"Mexico isn't going to pay for the wall"
    -Let's see. Who knows how [Trump] is going to pay for it?

He's only ever invited on air because he's one of the only Trump supporters in this country with any kind of profile.

His lectures must be the most boring in history .. no idea why he was on the show at all, added absolutely nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Is someone an obviously biased, to the point of ridiculousness, suitable lecturer material?

• Advertisement

Is someone an obviously biased, to the point of ridiculousness, suitable lecturer material?
    I googled him to remember his full name, and came across some of his publications. He has published some very interesting academic papers, if you're a bit of a politics geek - such as why Obama could have arguably retained his Senate seat.

These days, academic posts seem to be awarded to candidates who are able to get themselves published in peer-reviewed journals, and teaching ability is an afterthought.

Having said that, some of my best lecturers would be at the opposite end of the political spectrum as myself, and most students. One of them is now a good friend. A good lecturer with weird opinions can make you refine your views. I suppose this goes for radio contributors too, I just found him to be really lazy and lacking in any coherent arguments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

A good lecturer with weird opinions can make you refine your views. I suppose this goes for radio contributors too, I just found him to be really lazy and lacking in any coherent arguments.

I'm all for hearing pro-Trump arguments (much as I dislike the Tango'd one) but I didn't hear a lot from Barrett Tillman that made me think he was a great academic or legal mind. He and Charlie Wolfe aren't good advocates for Trump's side of the political field.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

That was great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭PinotNero

Maria Steen just went full-on crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

That was great fun.

Aye, a real ding-dong

• Advertisement

OMG ... "People going to the races being discomoded" ... Seriously how could anyone contemplate that appalling vista :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

PinotNero wrote: »
    Maria Steen just went full-on crazy.

I honestly don't know how she could think she emerged from that exchange with any dignity. True, she (kinda) monopolised the airtime but her refusal to answer direct questions, muttering during O'Gorman's contribution, and using hot buzzwords like 'mansplaining' and 'fake news' made her sound shrill and extremely dim.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,414 ✭✭✭✭elperello

And dim she is not.
    Normally you would have to pull out all the stops to make such a clever person come across so badly but all SO'R had to do was sit there.
    She only has herself to blame.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭serfboard

I heard the first five minutes or so of that exchange between Colm O'Gorman and Maria Steen.

Although I woudn't have a lot of time for Colm O'Gorman (I find him pompous and arogant), Maria Steen came across like a really vile, nasty person. At one stage she complained that Colm et al were sore (referendum) winners, but by God, she came over like a very sore, angry loser.

Her most ridiculous contribution was when Colm O'Gorman was talking and she said "stop mansplaining". Pathetic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 408 ✭✭SoundsRight

Something absurd about Amnesty trying to set limits on the right to peaceful protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

It's bizarre, I always thought that a human rights group would have been the ones campaigning outside of the abortion clinics, not those advocating for their existence. Questions really need to be asked about what exactly Amnesty Ireland stands for these days, is it just a platform for Colm O'Gorman to air his own personal views?

It's bizarre, I always thought that a human rights group would have been the ones campaigning outside of the abortion clinics, not those advocating for their existence. Questions really need to be asked about what exactly Amnesty Ireland stands for these days, is it just a platform for Colm O'Gorman to air his own personal views?

Oh very "bizarre" especially when 66.4% of the electorate agreed with them. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭IRE60

Strange - all the audio clips are on the SOR website from this morning - bar the Maria Sheen car crash!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Agreed. As she said it’s madness that amnesty international Ireland are not only campaigning actively to end innocent lives

but also are campaigning against civil liberties and free speech !

COG really has dragged them a hell of a long way from their original mission.

The sad thing is when he’s finally bored of amnesty and moves on to his next “project” he has ruined their reputation irreparably in this country. Selfish and egotistical but nothing new for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,354 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

IRE60 wrote: »
    Strange - all the audio clips are on the SOR website from this morning - bar the Maria Sheen car crash!

I was curious so listened to it and it was COG who came out really badly -car crash indeed!

• Advertisement

I'm in favour of the work Amnesty (Ireland) does, I suppose, but it's worth remarking that they don't put food on anyone's table.

They're just a lobbying organisation. I find it difficult to sympathise with them, and Colm O'Gorman is a bit of a douche, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Why does RTE invite these loons on to debate a serious topic. Maria clearly wasn't there to debate the topic. She just wanted to attack Colm O'Gorman, personalising the issue and contradicting herself while she was at it.

The media's chase for ratings means this circus continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,119 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Why does RTE invite these loons on to debate a serious topic. Maria clearly wasn't there to debate the topic. She just wanted to attack Colm O'Gorman, personalising the issue and contradicting herself while she was at it.

Wouldn’t blame her for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,088 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Wouldn’t blame her for that.

I was blaming RTE for inviting her on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

I'm in favour of the work Amnesty (Ireland) does, I suppose, but it's worth remarking that they don't put food on anyone's table.

They're just a lobbying organisation. I find it difficult to sympathise with them, and Colm O'Gorman is a bit of a douche, tbh

Yeah, they only rescue political prisoners and send them letters. They never send food parcels. And "lobbying" for human rights. Pah!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Something absurd about Amnesty trying to set limits on the right to peaceful protest.

There was a documentary broadcast recently on the modus operandi of such groups in the US. Worth having a look to inform yourself. Verbal harrassment, intrusion of privacy, psychological intimidation and guilt-tripping is how I'd describe it.
    These techniques may not have appeared in public in Ireland yet but the IT journalist reported similar methods in the training courses she attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

She’s some card is our Maria. Towards the beginning of the “discussion” she takes grave exception at being labelled “anti abortion”, an accurate description as it happens, yet then pointedly refers to her opponent as “pro abortion” which is not. She went steadily downhill from there.

Was listening to Late Debate earlier when Richard Boyd Barrett, making a general point about protesting, referred to “off the wall” people and the next two words uttered were literally “Maria Steen”, a quite sumptuous piece of unintentional juxtaposition from presenter Katie Hannon I thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

"Balance".

Yeah, they only rescue political prisoners and send them letters. They never send food parcels. And "lobbying" for human rights. Pah!
    Fait point, I was probably a bit harsh.

But I can't remember the last time I've heard them speaking about activities that don't already have huge public support.

The 8th Amendment Referendum was a fantastic win, and Amnesty definitely played an important part, but I'd like to hear more about their activities on Travellers' Rights, imminent Famine in Yemen, wars and human-rights abuses across Africa, you get my drift. Not squabbling with the likes of Maria Steen on Twitter or on radio.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

It's a left wing political movement of various shades

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement