Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Biggest hurler on the ditch to ever sit in Dail eireann

Insufferable waffler who is never off the air

Hmmmm ... I would respectfully suggest that that title should go to the turfcutter from Roscommon.

Michael Fitzmaurice.

We’d need to do...(.insert any local issue you like)

What we need is( insert any local issue you like)

We must do( insert any local issue you like)

In my opinion.....total imposter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Hmmmm ... I would respectfully suggest that that title should go to the turfcutter from Roscommon.

Michael Fitzmaurice.

We’d need to do...(.insert any local issue you like)

What we need is( insert any local issue you like)

We must do( insert any local issue you like)

In my opinion.....total imposter.

Fitzmaurice is probably the most authentic TD in the Dail, I think he's fighting an impossible fight re_ breathing life back into rural Ireland but he has an unpolished - no spin realism about him

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Fitzmaurice is probably the most authentic TD in the Dail, I think he's fighting an impossible fight re_ breathing life back into rural Ireland but he has an unpolished - no spin realism about him

Nah, councilor material maybe,but TD .....if Mom and Apple Pie Politics is your bag fair enough.

If pragmatic national politics is required......no hoper.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,428 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Nah, councilor material maybe,but TD .....if Mom and Apple Pie Politics is your bag fair enough.

If pragmatic national politics is required......no hoper.

You must not be familiar with the local TD in government handing out the goodies. Not one TD in the Dail is a genuine 'national politician' Brendan. They all feather and warm the nest, so to speak.

You must not be familiar with the local TD in government handing out the goodies. Not one TD in the Dail is a genuine 'national politician' Brendan. They all feather and warm the nest, so to speak.

A fair point Francie, but at least some of those in power have to accept accountability and responsibility for national issues.

Anyone whose main plank is ‘check the wind and see where it is blowing’

then come along with

‘We must do x
    ‘We need to do y
    ‘We need to sit down and discuss z

I mean I could roar and shout down the country and claim

“We need better roads
    “We need high speed bb
    “ We need to support rural Ireland

Without having the slightest input into the IMPLEMENTATION OR COST of doing those tasks.

Waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

A fair point Francie, but at least some of those in power have to accept accountability and responsibility for national issues.

Anyone whose main plank is ‘check the wind and see where it is blowing’

then come along with

‘We must do x
    ‘We need to do y
    ‘We need to sit down and discuss z

I mean I could roar and shout down the country and claim

“We need better roads
    “We need high speed bb
    “ We need to support rural Ireland

Without having the slightest input into the IMPLEMENTATION OR COST of doing those tasks.

Waste of time.

The number of TD, s who fit that description easily passes a hundred

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

"The broadcaster hadn't a spokesperson to talk about this."

"They gave us a statement."

It's RTE FFS not MI5.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Bríd Smith trying to equate the construction skills needed to build the National Children's Hospital with those needed to build 1970's council houses...

Jesus wept!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭jeremyj1968

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Bríd Smith trying to equate the construction skills needed to build the National Children's Hospital with those needed to build 1970's council houses... Jesus wept!

It's a pity her party will never get voted in to Goverment so that she could take up the role as Minister for Hand Wringing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Bríd Smith trying to equate the construction skills needed to build the National Children's Hospital with those needed to build 1970's council houses...

Jesus wept!

What's more - 1970s council houses of the most basic construction. Minimal wiring and plumbing, minimal size and insulation. Damp and draughty.

Never ceases to amaze me when airheads like Smith opine as to why we can't build like we did in the 1930s/ 50s etc. Of course they could be thrown up a la the 1950s, but they would fail in all but the most basic of building and insulation regulations that pertain now.

These people seem to forget that expectations have risen, risen and risen.

• Advertisement

Jesus wept!

For a party with so little electoral support they certainly get their voices on RTE.

You had Coppinger on the late debate yesterday

You had Smith on SOR today.

Kind of strange it seems to this poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

For a party with so little electoral support they certainly get their voices on RTE.

Indeed.

If it's not a Trot, it's a Shinner taking up prime position on the ditch.

You'd nearly think they've got a bit of "pull" in the radio centre particularly.

Nearly...

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭xl500

BarryD2 wrote: »
    What's more - 1970s council houses of the most basic construction. Minimal wiring and plumbing, minimal size and insulation. Damp and draughty.

Never ceases to amaze me when airheads like Smith opine as to why we can't build like we did in the 1930s/ 50s etc. Of course they could be thrown up a la the 1950s, but they would fail in all but the most basic of building and insulation regulations that pertain now.

These people seem to forget that expectations have risen, risen and risen.

At Least the ones built in the 50s are still standing not like some built during the Boom by shyster developers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭serfboard

xl500 wrote: »
    At Least the ones built in the 50s are still standing not like some built during the Boom by shyster developers
    Or Fire Hazards like Priory Hall.

Bit of a stupid point,my friend,nothing personal,but the fact that they are “still standing”,means nothing.

Like Dalymount Park is still standing...........:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

They have no problem interviewing that gimp Eamonn Ryan on multiple occasions!

Bit of a stupid point,my friend,nothing personal,but the fact that they are “still standing”,means nothing.

Like Dalymount Park is still standing...........:rolleyes:

No I would rather live in a well maintained House in Cabra or Crumlin Or Any of the other 1950s Estates than the Crap Apartments and Houses built during the Boom and when I said they were still standing it was in the context of some of the ones built during the Boom have been pulled down already

I don't think it was a stupid point the Houses built in the 50s were built to the standards of the Day and of course, they don't meet modern day standards but they have served us well unlike some of the current housing stock

No I would rather live in a well maintained House in Cabra or Crumlin Or Any of the other 1950s Estates than the Crap Apartments and Houses built during the Boom and when I said they were still standing it was in the context of some of the ones built during the Boom have been pulled down already

I don't think it was a stupid point the Houses built in the 50s were built to the standards of the Day and of course, they don't meet modern day standards but they have served us well unlike some of the current housing stock

Listen, I over reacted there, didn’t fully get your ‘drift’.

Please accept my apologies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

They have no problem interviewing that gimp Eamonn Ryan on multiple occasions!

Greens vs PBP (or what ever theyre calling themselves these days)

The greens actually went into government. And it was awful. And they got the sh*t kicked out of themselves for it.

But they did it, they tried.

The other blowhard knowalls are just ditch hurlers. Thats the difference to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,969 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Greens vs PBP (or what ever theyre calling themselves these days)

The greens actually went into government. And it was awful. And they got the sh*t kicked out of themselves for it.

But they did it, they tried.

The other blowhard knowalls are just ditch hurlers. Thats the difference to me.

This, all day long.

• Advertisement

Only to the extent that they have mostly four reasonably solid walls, though even some of those are just shoddy 9" cavity blocks. Plenty of examples of social housing built in these times that have been condemned and pulled down - Ballymun, Limerick housing estates and so on.

Where they survive and have value is due 1) to location and 2) where the tenants have bought them out and done them up as best as practical.

But regardless you just couldn't build these now and expect people to move into them. Everything around building from planning right through to finishing estates and supplying local services has got a whole lot more complex and expensive.

Personally I think we need more 'self build' groups, give the power to provide shelter back to people who are prepared to put their backs into it. But that's unlikely due to a) laziness and b) protectionism in the construction industry.

Only to the extent that they have mostly four reasonably solid walls, though even some of those are just shoddy 9" cavity blocks. Plenty of examples of social housing built in these times that have been condemned and pulled down - Ballymun, Limerick housing estates and so on.

Where they survive and have value is due 1) to location and 2) where the tenants have bought them out and done them up as best as practical.

But regardless you just couldn't build these now and expect people to move into them. Everything around building from planning right through to finishing estates and supplying local services has got a whole lot more complex and expensive.

Personally, I think we need more 'self build' groups, give the power to provide shelter back to people who are prepared to put their backs into it. But that's unlikely due to a) laziness and b) protectionism in the construction industry.

I agree But I worked on some building estates in previous times and I can tell you the level of inspections was good we were inspected at footings,first floor sill level, Wall Plate Level and Finish all by an independent inspector from relevant Local Authority I strongly feel this was a great system as it protected the Person who was going to buy the House or Local Authority if Houses were being built for them, of course, some mistakes were made but the vast majority of these houses are still functioning well and again, of course, they were not built to current standards but if the same applied to today and proper enforcement of today's standards we would have a much better housing stock

But this system did not suit the Developers who Lobbied constantly to get it changed and eventually succeeded through Fianna Fail who are really one and the Same thing as the Developers and they brought in a system of "Self-Certification" a disastrous outcome for the Person who would eventually purchase House I have over 50 years working under my belt and some of the Apartments I inspected over the Last number of years for potential buyers were unbelievable how poor the workmanship was to say they were thrown up was being good to them don't forget all these were signed off as complying to the Current Regs

"Self Certification" is a disaster there must be an independent inspectorate who ensures all work is carried out to the Standard and codes as there is in most other well-developed Countries This protects the Client against Shysters who I am Afraid we have many

Ridiculously biased "reporting" from Ellen Coyne. You could tell her disdain for the man bringing around the ultrasounds to the abortion clinics. Why would anybody going for an abortion have a problem with having an ultrasound, shur it's not a life isn't that what we have been told to believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Ridiculously biased "reporting" from Ellen Coyne. You could tell her disdain for the man bringing around the ultrasounds to the abortion clinics. Why would anybody going for an abortion have a problem with having an ultrasound, shur it's not a life isn't that what we have been told to believe?

Personally I would have a very big problem with any random person going around performing any kind of medical test or procedure on any person.

So much for "love both" .... the mask doesn't take long to slip does it?

Always cringed when I heard Liam Doran when he was a union man. Listening to him this morning shows he hasn't changed much. Wonder what sort of nice dosh he's retired on?

And why is that O'Reilly one on again, again & again. She must nearly have a contract there now in RTE, she's on that much.

Always cringed when I heard Liam Doran when he was a union man. Listening to him this morning shows he hasn't changed much. Wonder what sort of nice dosh he's retired on?

It really is ridiculous - Why is he on the show? He was a union representative, but is now a "lay" man. So they bring him in to fight the union's corner again. Leave him where he is, if we must suffer the union blackmailing guff, then at least have their official representatives.
    And why is that O'Reilly one on again, again & again. She must nearly have a contract there now in RTE, she's on that much.

She really gives me a pain in my face. I was watching this on the TV in a place where I was collecting something. Sitting there with a scowl on her face, not even bothering to dress properly for the thing (basically in a track suit) and telling us all how things should be done. Sinn Fein have only ever succeeded in bringing down buildings, never with actually getting anything buildings built.

It really is ridiculous - Why is he on the show? He was a union representative, but is now a "lay" man. So they bring him in to fight the union's corner again. Leave him where he is, if we must suffer the union blackmailing guff, then at least have their official representatives.

She really gives me a pain in my face. I was watching this on the TV in a place where I was collecting something. Sitting there with a scowl on her face, not even bothering to dress properly for the thing (basically in a track suit) and telling us all how things should be done. Sinn Fein have only ever succeeded in bringing down buildings, never with actually getting anything buildings built.

Good synopsis Jeremy.

When will people realise that nursing is a job,which has to be paid for by you and me whether we are lucky to be sick or not sick.

This issue is a pure win for the nurses, no mistake, that's how it will end.

Why?

Because we cannot shut down the whole health service- it's that simple.

Coupled with that public opinion is on the side of the nurses, it's a no win for the Govt.

apart from the IT editorial, the media are wall to wall on the nurses side, as are RTE, so no chance whatsoever of the Govt coming out of this smelling good.

So what will happen?

Let me tell you.

The nurses will win, there will be immediate relativity claims from aligned professions, the taxpayer will be stiffed for the guts of a billion, and what will change...the cost to the taxpayer for health services certainly will as will the total bill for the PS, the slice of the cake for really deserving folk will diminish and of course the HSE and stuff will run like clockwork and everything will be A-OK

Will it f**k:D

apart from the IT editorial, the media are wall to wall on the nurses side, as are RTE

Not so sure about that, the media can be an echo chamber, not wishing to be seen to be offside. The public and the media can also be very fickle.

One days strike - grand.

Two days strike - OK

Three days strike - hmmmm

Four days strike - take a hike!

Not so sure about that, the media can be an echo chamber, not wishing to be seen to be offside. The public and the media can also be very fickle.

One days strike - grand.

Two days strike - OK

Three days strike - hmmmm

Four days strike - take a hike!

Yeah it could go that way in fairness, but I don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,483 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Ultrasound from medical professional? Sure. Ultrasound from random organisation who are clueless about medicine (abortions give you breast cancer) and engage in fraudulent and misleading practices (trying to fool people that their line is the HSE's) not so much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement