Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sean O'Rourke Today Show

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Pointless argument here. Ballagh is being disingenuous about "not naming" people when they are perfectly identifiable by their positions which he did name. And Hugh Lenihan is just being childish.
    Still in this country we don't name people and it if we are to find the very best from all over the world why such anglophone dominance?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Pointless argument here. Ballagh is being disingenuous about "not naming" people when they are perfectly identifiable by their positions which he did name. And Hugh Lenihan is just being childish.

Hard to see how Ballagh's letter displayed anything except zenophobia, which I find thoroughly disappointing from him ... wonder what those great Anglo-Irish icons, Yeats & Lady Gregory, would make of it :rolleyes:
    Surely the arts, of all areas, should seek not to be insular & provincial.

Anyway, I thought all involved in "the arts" wanted to life a precarious, hand to mouth existence to maintain their artistic integrity & independence from the establishment. Ballagh seems to be suggesting that they want a closed shop of well paid "establishment" jobs. :confused:

OH Thank God! Sean is back Monday .... made my weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Callan57 wrote: »
    Hard to see how Ballagh's letter displayed anything except zenophobia, which I find thoroughly disappointing from him ... wonder what those great Anglo-Irish icons, Yeats & Lady Gregory, would make of it :rolleyes:
    Surely the arts, of all areas, should seek not to be insular & provincial.

Anyway, I thought all involved in "the arts" wanted to life a precarious, hand to mouth existence to maintain their artistic integrity & independence from the establishment. Ballagh seems to be suggesting that they want a closed shop of well paid "establishment" jobs. :confused:

Very struck again today about the amount of coverage these 'theatre practitioners' are getting on RTE radio. I must have heard 7 or 8 lengthy segments on their letter and the Abbey etc. in the last few days. Clearly they have a lot of influence with the station and it's personnel.

Passes me by - but the same question surfaces each time I hear it covered. Does the Abbey exist primarily for the benefit of the public or for the benefit of said 'theatre practitioners'?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Very struck again today about the amount of coverage these 'theatre practitioners' are getting on RTE radio. I must have heard 7 or 8 lengthy segments on their letter and the Abbey etc. in the last few days. Clearly they have a lot of influence with the station and it's personnel.

Passes me by - but the same question surfaces each time I hear it covered. Does the Abbey exist primarily for the benefit of the public or for the benefit of said 'theatre practitioners'?

Not a very scientific synopsis, but have a think .

This time you get the Golden Globes, the Oscars, and what gùnas who or what is going to wear.

Saoirse Ronan crops up like the daffodils, never heard of or seen for the rest of the year.

Who gives a fohhrke about this rubbish only the luvvies trying to make jobs for themselves and RTE looking for jollies to So-Cal to report on what most people never even think about.

Just think it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

The Abbey is state funded. Like all state funded organisations, from The Abbey to the HSE to Local Authorities etc....their primary aim is to serve the people that work in them.
    The public comes a distant second.

The Marian Finucane show had a long piece on the Abbey situation today. The actors get paid a basic €950 per week but these co-productions are paying a few hundred less.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,414 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jay0109 wrote: »
    The Abbey is state funded. Like all state funded organisations, from The Abbey to the HSE to Local Authorities etc....their primary aim is to serve the people that work in them.
    The public comes a distant second.

The Marian Finucane show had a long piece on the Abbey situation today. The actors get paid a basic €950 per week but these co-productions are paying a few hundred less.

The Abbey, as our national theatre also has as part of it's remit - a duty to foster and encourage the art of theatre here, right across the various talents involved in staging work.
    It is the view of those who are complaining that they are failing in that. There are those who don't give a f*** about that or theatre but there are also plenty who do.

The Abbey, as our national theatre also has as part of it's remit - a duty to foster and encourage the art of theatre here, right across the various talents involved in staging work.
    It is the view of those who are complaining that they are failing in that. There are those who don't give a f*** about that or theatre but there are also plenty who do.

Is this dispute or whatever it is in the Abbey not getting wholy disproportionate airtime? Yesterday on Marian, this morning discussed again on Miriam & again now on Marian ... and that not to mention the coverage all week! I would imagine that what goes on in the Abbey is low on the agenda of concerns of the vast majority of people who are more exercised by health and housing situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,414 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Is this dispute or whatever it is in the Abbey not getting wholy disproportionate airtime? Yesterday on Marian, this morning discussed again on Miriam & again now on Marian ... and that not to mention the coverage all week! I would imagine that what goes on in the Abbey is low on the agenda of concerns of the vast majority of people who are more exercised by health and housing situations.

Would it even have taken up 5 minutes?
    You can't fill a news magazine programme with one issue...that would be lazy and non representative.

Wholly disproportionate complaining about topical issues being discussed on a topical interests show..no?

Like listening to an episode of Rumpole of the Bailey

• Advertisement

Pure daft. And to think this fella is attempting to write legislation and members of FF are in cahoots with him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

He's quite the talker :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,557 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought Sean did well there.
    He just let Honohan tell his story. Bizarre behaviour.

And to think that citizens have been hauled before the bench to "purge their contempt" for allowing their mobiles to ring.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

elperello wrote: »
    I thought Sean did well there.
    He just let Honohan tell his story. Bizarre behaviour.

And to think that citizens have been hauled before the bench to "purge their contempt" for allowing their mobiles to ring.

What an absolute clown. The way he was speaking about not checking his post or knowing who to speak to about the facilities as if it was beneath him, wasn't sure if this :rolleyes: or this :mad: was more appropriate...

That retired Garda revealed, inadvertently, more about what went wrong with the Gardaí than all the reports & enquiries have. Yes he would have dealt with "everything in 20mins" ... swept it under the bulging carpet no doubt!

He has no concept of accountability & throws out "culture of blame" to excuse everything from shoddy work to downright incompetence and negligence.

Just aswell he's retired because his attitude is part of the reason confidence in the Gardaí has declined.

He was dreadful. "Nothing to see here, move along".
    All the top guys responsible for this have retired so whats the point in a 'blame culture' was his fall back argument.

"Peoples dail"

What the fresh hell is this stuff?

The dails membership is not perfect and not always to my liking (or anyones) but its a fairly representative of the makeup of the country.

The people involved in the original dail would say we live in unimaginable luxury compared to them in the early 20th century.

My grandparents and great grandparents lived in little unheated thatched cottages, surviving (just about) farming the land and with little healthcare / social welfare systems.

Edit: I'm waiting for someone here to suggest leaving the EU

I try to avoid the Paddy O'Gorman interludes but got caught this morning. It strikes me that lisening to those NI farmers that complacency & apathy is the biggest threat to the peace in NI.

"Peoples dail"

What the fresh hell is this stuff?

The dails membership is not perfect and not always to my liking (or anyones) but its a fairly representative of the makeup of the country.

The people involved in the original dail would say we live in unimaginable luxury compared to them in the early 20th century.

My grandparents and great grandparents lived in little unheated thatched cottages, surviving (just about) farming the land and with little healthcare / social welfare systems.

Edit: I'm waiting for someone here to suggest leaving the EU

All the usual 'headbangers' will turn up and have a rant. Surprised it got airtime, I suppose just the timing with the anniversary. Was that Patricia McKenna, formerly of the Greens and a former MEP?? Didn't catch the intro.

I try to avoid the Paddy O'Gorman interludes but got caught this morning. It strikes me that lisening to those NI farmers that complacency & apathy is the biggest threat to the peace in NI.

Dunno, there were some interesting views there. In particular that the younger generation now are just not interested in violence. But as we know from history, it just takes a few twisted types to kick it off.

• Advertisement

Patricia McKenna trying to find a soapbox & make herself relevant again.

We have an elected parliament, repesentative of the voting population, someone tell me why we need to duplicate that? You might not like some TD but they have been elected and that is democracy.

All the usual 'headbangers' will turn up and have a rant. Surprised it got airtime, I suppose just the timing with the anniversary. Was that Patricia McKenna, formerly of the Greens and a former MEP?? Didn't catch the intro.

Well RTE is practically the official broadcaster for the Union movement in Ireland so when they come up with an idea like this, their reps are then guaranteed air time.
    And with the Labour party practically wiped out, is it any surprise to see the middle-class Lefties trying to dream up an alternative to the current situation

Roisin Shortall & Soc-Dems who scrupulously avoided going in to government after last election..... complaining government not following Soc-Dems line....

Roisin Shortall & Soc-Dems who scrupulously avoided going in to government after last election..... complaining government not following Soc-Dems line....

I fail to understand how her bill can be cost neutral ... if someone is on maternity, paternity or anyother leave hasn't their work to be covered either by employing a temporary person or paying an existing employee overtime. Either way it's an additional cost.

Unless they are in a non-job of course!

I fail to understand how her bill can be cost neutral ... if someone is on maternity, paternity or anyother leave hasn't their work to be covered either by employing a temporary person or paying an existing employee overtime. Either way it's an additional cost.

Yeah, I was wondering about that. If one of our team is out of course they need to be covered by another.

"cost neutral" is a very loose term in her usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

How could you even think that C

• Registered Users Posts: 10,480 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Has anyone noticed that the sound quality for SOR is awful of late? I listen on podcasts, usually through headphones, and their mics seem to pick up so many papers shuffling, mouse clicks, heavy breathing and so on. It doesn't seem to be replicated on any other RTE show I listen to - wonder if it's just SOR himself maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Aska

More from the courts today, it really is a joke at this stage. Why are the judges delaying the judgements so much ? All these ajourned till may etc.. are clogging up the bloddy courts, just deal with the cases on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

jay0109 wrote: »
    Well RTE is practically the official broadcaster for the Union movement in Ireland so when they come up with an idea like this, their reps are then guaranteed air time.
    And with the Labour party practically wiped out, is it any surprise to see the middle-class Lefties trying to dream up an alternative to the current situation

Labour are always in government ( even when they are in opposition) thanks to RTE pushing the same agenda

Prioritising the public sector
    The advancement of Various "progressive " social causes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Biggest hurler on the ditch to ever sit in Dail eireann

Insufferable waffler who is never off the air

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement