Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ESB apprenticeship

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Pilchards

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Not sure about the ESB rates but if your going through FAS/Solas and serving your time as an electrian they are more then that. I don't think we can discuss rates openly here but the best advice is too ring Fas/Solas and they can tell you the rates for apprentice sparks from years 1-4. And then when speaking with the esb find out are you joining as a line technician or as an electrician

No such thing as a 'line technician' rate for new recruits anymore and Luckysasha has said above, who's clearly a fellow employee NT. Everyone is brought in and trained as an electrician like every other electrician in the country, but also get internal HV/MV line, cable, station and operational training on top of their FAS training. Along with practicing their training from the network training centre in Portlaoise on the job in their 3 month rotations in different departments. A department you are good at or are particularly eager in you will end up back in again during your apprenticeship. This year they are also employing Mechanics for the Fleet & Equipment department, I don't know all the facts behind that apprenticeship, but I can't see the the term or quality of training being much different.

As for rates, while I wont talk figures directly as per site rules, people are under the illusion that ESB workers are minted. Not the truth. You will earn the same as any other apprentice in another company. You just might be fortunate in some sections with major jobs and overtime. I stress might. The quality of the job comes from how steady the employment is during all economic times. There is always work to be done on the network.

I hate to rant so much but I hate this false public perception of NT's. Only a fraction of ESB workers are the lads out there in the yellow vans. The company is also a highly regarded international engineering and consultancy firm and that's what brings the average salary of the company up so high.

Anyway...... Best of luck to all of you applying this year. And you're gonna hear this so much but please to those of you who get the job, please be safe and don't do it of you don't know 100% what you're doing

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Farmer5

Has anyone that applied this year received any sort of an e mail from the esb or a link to do the aptitude tests yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

I applied for the full time role back in November
    Got an email February 2nd too say they'd be in touch in a few weeks and haven't heard since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 936 ✭✭✭bassey

Got an email February 2nd too say they'd be in touch in a few weeks and haven't heard since.

Exact same here, not heard anything since that email

bassey wrote: »
    Exact same here, not heard anything since that email

Thought I was alone ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Farmer5

Anyone hear anything regarding the apprenticeship positions though? Haven't heard anything since I filled out the form and sent the cv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭dingding

I would have served an apprenticship with the ESB in the 80's and we rotated around a lot of different activities as follows:-
    • Stations (38KV, 110KV) There was only one 22KV station in my region and I was never in it.
    • Area/District, there were 4 different districts in my region.
    • Contracts, Domestic and Commercial Contracts
    • Appliance Repair
    • Metering
    • And I worked in Moneypoint for 6 months on the building of the station.
    This gave a great range of experience accross all aspects of electrical work.
    I am interested in the current tasks that apprentices work on. I would imagine at this stage the appliance repair, contracts and experience like Moneypoint are no longer available and the work is generally stations and Area on the networks.

We were not kept on at that time although I did get a short term contract in the contracts section and I worked mainly on domestic installations, house wiring, storage heater installation, immersion time switches and lagging jackets, power factor correction and I worked on the runway lighting on a number of regional airports.

I had a great apprenticeship, had the opportunity to work with some great people.

What was interesting was that many of my class are not really working in Electrical. About a half went on to different careers and one of the ten is working with the board now.

I would be interested in more recent apprentices / electricians comments, and apologies mods, if this should be deleted or moved please do.

I am interested in the evolution of the apprenticeship over the past few years.

While I would not have been on the tools for nearly 20 years I found it a fantastic experience and I would recommend an apprenticeship.

Interestingly I am working on the development of a new apprenticeship in a non-technical area and it has allowed me to reflect on how great the apprenticeship system is.

Also looking at the breadth and depth of the curriculum particularly in technical apprenticeships such as electrical / instrumentation I think it is been undersold by only getting level 6 on the NFQ.

Luckysasha wrote: »
    No such thing as linesmen/ electricians or general workers anymore in ESB. Unless your applying for a mechanics job or engineering officer you will be employed as a network technician or NT for short. You will qualify as an electrician at the end of the apprenticeship but you could still end up working on overhead lines etc.

Just out of curiosity are all the other grades gone, are all NT's electricians.

In my time 80's there were a range of grades

Electricians
    General Assistants
    Linesmen
    Apprentic Electricians

All with demarkation and different roles.

Is this no longer the case or are there different roles within the NT category.

Thanks

The full time position has been postponed for now I believe. THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL!!!!

FarmerJM wrote: »
    Anyone hear anything regarding the apprenticeship positions though? Haven't heard anything since I filled out the form and sent the cv

You have to be patient with the apprenticeship, you won't find out until September if you've got the job and literally thousands apply for the job so just give it time, you will hear back

• Advertisement

dingding wrote: »

Electricians
    General Assistants
    Linesmen
    Apprentic Electricians

Thanks

For new applications the contract is completely different than the past. We are all NT's but it depends on when you came in. I'm only in the place about 12 years and I'm on a better contract than the new staff, but I'm on less than a 1990 highly regarded linesman. All in all the place is a fantastic place to work that offers development to all staff. I'm an electrician in stations by the way and as I've said before, you can make more elsewhere in good times, but you won't lose your job in the bad times.

dingding wrote: »

Electricians
    General Assistants
    Linesmen
    Apprentic Electricians

Thanks

And no, not all NT's are electricians.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

May 23rd .... Anyone heard anything yet from the April deadline apprenticeship program?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dublindublin26

May 23rd .... Anyone heard anything yet from the April deadline apprenticeship program?

Yeah I got called for an interview today for mid june. They'll be contacting people all this week i think.. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ItssDylannnn

Does anyone know if you are still able to apply for this apprentship? If so where can I apply? Thanks for the help guys! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dublindublin26

Does anyone know if you are still able to apply for this apprentship? If so where can I apply? Thanks for the help guys! :)[/QUOTE

You cant apply again until next year around march

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ItssDylannnn

You cant apply again until next year around march

I though I was too late alright :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sparky19

Hey guys, so I completed all my aptitude tests there yesterday, dont think it went too bad. Anyone else do the aptitude tests yet? If so how did you find them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oisinw87

I completed the aptitude tests today and I found them to be okay. I thought that the hardest one was the numeracy skills. Does anybody know when the ESB issue results for these tests?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Lewandowski89

Does anyone know when we are told the results of the test? And is it an over all mark or do you have to pass each individual assessment?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Craicbud

I got called for interview last year for ESB but unfortunately didn't make it, but you should hear word back in the next 2-3 weeks whether you have made it or not. I got an email today saying they will be in contact with me soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 oisinw87

Yeah I got the same email as well today. Hopefully I get an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Theusual1

Has anyone applied for 2018 apprenticeship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Theusual1 wrote: »
    Has anyone applied for 2018 apprenticeship?

Yeah. Got rejected immediately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Theusual1

Hard luck! You got a rejection email already??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭Blikes

Theusual1 wrote: »
    Hard luck! You got a rejection email already??

About 2 hours after I submitted my application. Not sure if it's because im studying Electrical Engineering in college or if it's because i looked like a thick ****er on the application but yeah.

For the sake of my self esteem, in gonna say it was the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Mauramol

ESB 2018 apprenticeship- did anyone that applied for this apprenticeship in Feb/March hear anything back from them?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

I applied. still heard nothing. feel like a man waiting on death row

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭masculinist

tobey wrote: »
    I applied. still heard nothing. feel like a man waiting on death row

what usually happens next ? My cousin applied at the last minute and filled in the online test with a st patricks day hangover. Apparently he paniced at the last test . It would be a shame if he didnt get a chance to sit the test in person as many would have probably had help with them when they were doing it at home. Has anyone been rejected straight away ? No news is good news ?

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭tobey

what usually happens next ? My cousin applied at the last minute and filled in the online test with a st patricks day hangover. Apparently he paniced at the last test . It would be a shame if he didnt get a chance to sit the test in person as many would have probably had help with them when they were doing it at home. Has anyone been rejected straight away ? No news is good news ?

i dont know. everything is very quite. i thought at least the people who didn't get thru would of been notified by now. Put me out of my misery. I'm a 28 year old chef with 11 years experience and I'm waiting to hear back wither i can stick it out till interview or change jobs now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 djmjam

Has anyone this year heard back after the interview stage yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Emmadunne1

djmjam wrote: »
    Has anyone this year heard back after the interview stage yet?

Go to esb apprenticeship 2018 board and there are a few who have done interview, none have heard back yet, so still in with a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Silver78

My daughter is through to medicals in 2 weeks anyone else ? Anyone know what are the chances from here ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Silver78 wrote: »
    My daughter is through to medicals in 2 weeks anyone else ? Anyone know what are the chances from here ?

I would say that her chances are very high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

medical is the last hurdle. It was a common saying years ago “if you get to the medical your in”

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Silver78

Thanks . Fingers crossed . It's all very long and drawn out. The suspense is killing me nevermind her lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bigred23

Anybody get offered a job ?

2011 wrote: »
    I would say that her chances are very high.

Main issue would be the colour blindness test.

Esb were advertising for techs again recently

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Darren.857

Just wondering if anyone knows if they actually take on 16-17 year olds ? I know they accept application just unsure if anyone actually makes it through. Any help would be appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭FaintBum

Darren.857 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows if they actually take on 16-17 year olds ? I know they accept application just unsure if anyone actually makes it through. Any help would be appreciated.

Yeah they do however not very many. If you’re 16, do your theory test and if you’re 17 get your full license as this is important to ESB and will majorly help you get a place.

FaintBum wrote: »
    Yeah they do however not very many. If you’re 16, do your theory test and if you’re 17 get your full license as this is important to ESB and will majorly help you get a place.

Thanks very much I’m 16 and looking to apply, I’ll be 17 in July. Do you think I should apply even if chances are slim?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭FaintBum

Darren.857 wrote: »
    Thanks very much I’m 16 and looking to apply, I’ll be 17 in July. Do you think I should apply even if chances are slim?

Yep defo do apply! If you’re unsuccessful due to age then it will stand to you that you applied anyway should you reapply next year. Many apprentices that I have met along the way had to apply several times before getting in.
    However it’s not uncommon for them to hire people your age so best of luck :)

Anybody got any tips for the 300-500 words on why you are suitable for an apprenticeship?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭HoggyRS

Do people qualifying from this apprenticeship get paid electricians rate or is it lower? The ad in the media states that the starting salary post qualifications is 36,000 which is below electricians rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Do people qualifying from this apprenticeship get paid electricians rate or is it lower? The ad in the media states that the starting salary post qualifications is 36,000 which is below electricians rate.

It is lower than an electricians rate, yes. However you are employed as a Network Technician not an electrician so not a proper comparison to an electrical contractors rate.

This is your flat rate but you can make more if you do on call, overtime etc. where available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

Going to resurrect this thread for this year, anyone heard anything about interviews yet? I got the email saying I've progressed onto the next stage which is screening for interviews.

They did mention that it would take a few weeks more due to Covid, but wondering if anyone has been invited for interview yet?

Will they email you back if not successful? I wasn't successful last year after the tests but hopefully might make it to the interview this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭autumnalcore

Do you have any say in your career path in the ESB, from talking to linesman they felt totally deskilled it seems like you can end up doing meters for your entire career or nothing bu high voltage lines. I certainty wouldn't like to be stuck in substations for my whole career.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 redeye101

Do you have any say in your career path in the ESB, from talking to linesman they felt totally deskilled it seems like you can end up doing meters for your entire career or nothing bu high voltage lines. I certainty wouldn't like to be stuck in substations for my whole career.

Yes, you do. I know lads that went in as General Workers that are in the office doing designs and lads who were linemen only who look after projects and manage contractors. Plenty of area for progression within any part of ESB. Apprenticeship is a good base and you can always do additional training courses depending on what area you’d like to go to. You don’t necessarily have to stay on the tools your whole career either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭wherearewe45

Is there an unofficial cut off to be an apprentice electrician? I'm not happy where I am and this kind of job really appeals to me. I'm in my early 30's so not sure if I'm what they would be looking for.

Advertisement