Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

That's the one I was referring to. It's part of Wednesday's low that breaks off and pivots back down, bringing part of the warm seclusion with it. That could be the fly in the ointment regarding snow lines.

Indeed there is some warmer air wrapped in there, could be a few hours of mixed precipitation before proper snow by midday friday based on these charts. Dew points look just about okay all the way through though. Anywhere inland would be fine I think, coastal areas could do with the feature tracking about 50-80km further east. All going to change a lot between now and then anyway but definitely something to keep an eye on.

120-7UK.GIF?03-6

120-526UK.GIF?03-6

120-101UK.GIF?03-6

126-526UK.GIF?03-6

126-779UK.GIF?03-6

126-7UK.GIF?03-6

126-101UK.GIF?03-6

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

vid36 wrote: »
    It was 2004
    xmas day West Cork
    TswUws5Fw3Mrme1s1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The BBC farming forecast has it turning very mild for Wednesday with alot of rain, then much colder following with showers mostly concentrated over Northern Ireland, western Scotland, western UK and skirting the eastern fringes of England. They also showed wintry showers over western parts of Ireland. They mentioned milder conditions from late Saturday into Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

8mYH3Mi9qZ.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    8mYH3Mi9qZ.gif

The Cork snow shield looks like it’ll be ruptured anyway. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭pad199207

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    8mYH3Mi9qZ.gif

That’s a real messy picture to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Beware the modification. Marginals calls for most except higher ground, and we know what marginal means in Ireland? Its always tails you loose....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

One to watch later on in weekend/Monday is for an undercutting slider low- I.e potential snowstorm for a lucky location, 12z GFS ensembles showing lots of support for this idea. Expect it to appear and disappear intermittently on the op run til later in the week.

All eyes on this evenings ECM for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Beware the modification. Marginals calls for most except higher ground, and we know what marginal means in Ireland? Its always tails you loose....

Always marginal for lower levels and those on the coast. Anyway quietly confident we'll see some white gold here in north cork at some stage between Thursday and Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Jobs OXO

Will this be anything like the cold spell in 2010?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Jobs OXO wrote: »
    Will this be anything like the cold spell in 2010?

not even close. Much closer to last week's cold spell than a 2010 event.
    This is an Atlantic/northerly cold spell, unlike 2010 which was a proper beast from the east.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

2010 actually was a northerly, just a far more potent one direct from the Arctic

gfs-2010121412-0-54_xcz5.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Gonzo wrote: »
    not even close. Much closer to last week's cold spell than a 2010 event.
    This is an Atlantic/northerly cold spell, unlike 2010 which was a proper beast from the east.

Ah on paper much paper than last weeks for snow chances anyway? Of course it could all go pear shaped but met eireann are predicting snow as well for later in the week.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Must keep an eye on that shortwave on Thurs, packing quite a punch across Northern counties on the latest 12Z ARPEGE, a bit out yet so bound to change in track and intensity somewhat. Can see various warnings coming up from Weds on.

tempresult_tsy2.gif

tempresult_mrk7.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

2010 actually was a northerly, just a far more potent one direct from the Arctic

gfs-2010121412-0-54_xcz5.png

No
    The proper cold,heaviest snow creating cold at the end of November and Xmas week and at times in between would have been from the Northeast ie artic continental,lower dew points deeper cold less Atlantic influence

Here’s what started it all
    A true artic northeaster
    See attached

I remember 2010 started off as a typical north-west event with snow in Donegal, Mayo, Galway and Northern Ireland, it didn't take long for it to change to a more easterly sourced event, then the fun and games began, we really ended up with 2 major snow events with a brief milder section between both events.

What is happening next week so far looks like a 2 to 3 day event from the north-west/north with so far no signs of any easterly component. While it's still too far away to be talking about where will get snow and how much, the east of the country will need some sort of polar low or organised disturbance for this event to produce worthwhile snowfall. Perhaps by Wednesday a much clearer picture will emerge about the prospects of snow.

The one thing that's more or less guaranteed at this stage is much lower temperatures than what we currently have and some severe frosts.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I find both of those charts incredibly upsetting given that in this year's case, the PV looks to have gotten its act together somewhat over the last few runs :(

Yeah the first outbreak in November was sourced from Scandinavia, we had snow from the north in Donegal around the 25th but it quickly changed to a NE'erly and stayed that way all week. The airmass in mid December was sourced from a northerly though, once the airmass was in place we had easterly winds but they were very light and more a case of an already cold airmass passing over deep snowfields

Anyway, 12z ECMWF is further watered down and looking increasingly like a bog standard NW'erly, still a 24-36 hour window for snow in Ulster & north Connacht but just the usual slushy mess that'll be gone in 24 hours

ECM1-96_sco3.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 23,797 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Ah on paper much paper than last weeks for snow chances anyway? Of course it could all go pear shaped but met eireann are predicting snow as well for later in the week.

Not much they're not. Frost and ice at night the dominant warning with daytime highs of 3 to 6C and showers more wintry on the upland areas in the north and west before temps recovering on Saturday. Nothing in this period for me but a typical few days Irish winter, cooler and drier alternating with milder and damper for the forseeable...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Anyway, 12z ECMWF is further watered down and looking increasingly like a bog standard NW'erly, still a 24-36 hour window for snow in Ulster & north Connacht but just the usual slushy mess that'll be gone in 24 hours

Go a day further on and 850hPa temps look good. 528dm line just a little elusive.

ECU0-120.GIF
    ECU1-120.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Don't worry,Jean says there will be a warm front by Saturday :)

sdanseo wrote: »
    Go a day further on and 850hPa temps look good. 528dm line just a little elusive.

The airmass is more stable with higher heights by that stage though so there won't be much shower activity away from the north coast, Thursday night will probably be the best chance for snow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Met Eireann forecast hardly worth getting excited about. Cold winds and wintry showers for the northwest and west on high ground. It is December. Hardly out of the ordinary. Clutching at straws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Last post from me on the 2010 comparison
    Xmas week’s flow was definitely Artic continental again in source not from the Atlantic influenced due north
    It delivered the feet of snow in parts of the east ,a good foot fell on the 22nd alone in Arklow
    On the 24th I measured just shy of 18 inches on my farm 2 miles from the Irish Sea
    It was of courses helped by all the snow already in situ over Britain
    Artic continental as far as the snow drug goes is the main line imho
    Pity it’s so rare

See attached

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 63 ✭✭thedeere

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Met Eireann forecast hardly worth getting excited about. Cold winds and wintry showers for the northwest and west on high ground. It is December. Hardly out of the ordinary. Clutching at straws.

It’s game over ball burst. [ Mod Snip]

Mod Note: Unacceptable piece of post snipped. Keep on topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I think we might see Storm Caroline this Thursday...depends on the track of that wind in the shortwave feature Meteorite mentioned.

As an aside, do the UKMO spell out their warning level triggers like Met Eireann do? I'd imagine it must be a lot more difficult for them, where the kind of snowfall that would occur in the Scottish highlands very regularly would cause complete chaos in the south of England.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,036 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I would have to agree with this. There isn't any northern blocking worth talking about and the inevitable outcome will be a two or three day cold snap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,879 ✭✭✭pauldry

I would have to agree with this. There isn't any northern blocking worth talking about and the inevitable outcome will be a two or three day cold snap.

Yes indeed. Think Met Eireann have it spot on from looking at charts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Forecast on rte just now generally in line with this thread I would have thought. Certainly a reasonable chance of snow still, Connaught / Ulster / West Munster best positioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,106 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

No mention of high ground, only mentions of showers of Sleet, Snow and Hail (they don't even mention rain).

This isn't a 2010 event (trust me, if it was this thread would be turning 100 pages at the moment), but it's not as poor as you're making it out to be, did you even pay attention to the Met Eireann forecast?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement