Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Snow and Ice Warning : Thursday/Friday 7th/8th December

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

BBC's forecast today is also very similar to Met Eireann's. displaying a repeat of the cold spell we had last week, just that it might be a slight bit of a colder one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

These threads are great craic you get the knowledgeable posters stating what they THINK and only that

Then you get the people reading as far as SNOW and not the rest and getting out the snow boots

Then you get the posters coming in saying everyone is WRONG and nothing will happen will just be cold

all great craic always worth a visit to the weather forum

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

sjb25 wrote: »
    These threads are great craic you get the knowledgeable posters stating what they THINK and only that you get the people reading as far as SNOW and not the rest and getting out the snow boots

Then you get the posters coming in saying everyone is WRONG and nothing will happen will just be cold

all great craic always worth a visit to the weather forum

That's one forecast that's always right ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Forecast on rte just now generally in line with this thread I would have thought. Certainly a reasonable chance of snow still, Connaught / Ulster / West Munster best positioned.

This pretty much, will require some luck for anything of note on lower ground in the east between now and Saturday. Other areas will see some decent falls I think. The question is whether or not mesoscale features pop up to deliver to other areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Seems to be a well organised trough crossing down over country on Thursday nightI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Think my kids were 3 the last time there was enough snow to build a snowman properly in Sligo town.

I wait with baited breath to see if this weeks wintry showers will result in a hailman a sleetman or a snowman......or indeed a rainman.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

GFS Control run sends a slider south of Ireland towards Sunday/Monday bringing streamers to the East Coast! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Yeah pub run is on steroids :D

300px-Blizzards-5.gif

Friday morning rush hour could be fun in the north, north west and east -

102-7UK.GIF?03-18

102-779UK.GIF?03-18

102-526UK.GIF?03-18

102-101UK.GIF?03-18

108-779UK.GIF?03-18

108-101UK.GIF?03-18

108-526UK.GIF?03-18

108-7UK.GIF?03-18

Here's the possible slider/Irish Sea streamer scenario from the control run later on -

gens-0-1-174.png

gens-0-0-174.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Yeah the first outbreak in November was sourced from Scandinavia, we had snow from the north in Donegal around the 25th but it quickly changed to a NE'erly and stayed that way all week. The airmass in mid December was sourced from a northerly though, once the airmass was in place we had easterly winds but they were very light and more a case of an already cold airmass passing over deep snowfields

ECM1-96_sco3.GIF

Yes. You only have to re-read M.T Craniums post from that time to see the airmass that gave us snow on the 16th was northerly based out of the Canadian Arctic before it changed to a north easterly, which left us with a week of very cold and dry weather to enjoy the snow.
    Normally with our wintry air masses the cold is diluted by the Atlantic influence over a day or two, that airmass on the 16th was exceptionally cold, and because it was so unstable, played in our favour also, which is why i had more snow than you:P.

Regarding the latest GFS, this model tends to exaggerate cold and storms, it's also not as accurate as other models in terms of verification, so i won't be taking its latest run too seriously.

What usually happens on the day is a blend between the more sober ECM and the ukmo. With that in mind i expect a two day toppler then back to milder weather for a few days. The northern arm of a split jet just seems too strong to allow proper blocking to occur.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Yes. You only have to re-read M.T Craniums post from that time to see the airmass that gave us snow on the 16th was northerly based out of the Canadian Arctic before it changed to a north easterly which left us with a week of very cold and dry weather to enjoy the snow.
    Normally with our wintry airmasses the cold is diluted by the Atlantic influence over a day or two, that airmass on the 16th was exceptionally cold, and because it was so unstable, played in our favour also, which is why i had more snow than you:P.

Regarding the latest GFS this model tends to exaggerate cold and storms, it's also not as accurate as other models in terms of verification, so i won't be taking it's latest run too seriously.

What usually happens on the day is a blend between the more sober ECM and the ukmo. With that in mind i expect a two day toppler then back to milder weather for a few days. The northern arm of a split jet just seems too strong to allow proper blocking to occur.

A good 30cm in 24 hours :cool:

Photo0205.jpg

Snow potential aside though it should still be an interesting few days in the coming week, some nice kinks in the isobars as the front passes through on Wednesday so could be a squall line and a few sparks, plenty of wind and squally/maybe thundery showers as well.

Thundery hail squalls are one thing I've really missed since moving from Donegal, December 2011 is the last really active month I can recall

This event being a particular favourite

ECM1-24_cvq5.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

God Id love to see some snow. Was just a wee school boy last time I got to see any :(

Was the thundersnow of Nov/Dec 2010 something common enough with heavy snowfalls here? It was the first time I remember that happening, and it was glorious (because I hadn't seen either snow or a decent thunderstorm in quite a long time!)

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭Rodar08

I just googled what a toppler is. I don’t know how much more of this build up/close call/snowticipation followed by deep, deep disnowppointment I can take. I’m a wreck and it’s not even proper winter yet. 2010 has wrecked me. I live every winter now like this. On the edge of my nerves!! It’s a tough life living in hope with not even a flurry to tide you over or keep you going. I live in Donegal ffs. But I must live in the worst part. The no go snow area. Sigh .. Thursday. I’ll wait to see what happens on Thursday and then I vow never to get sucked in by the hype and hysteria ever again and just live my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Rodar08 wrote: »
    I just googled what a toppler is. I don’t know how much more of this build up/close call/snowticipation followed by deep, deep disnowppointment I can take. I’m a wreck and it’s not even proper winter yet. 2010 has wrecked me. I live every winter now like this. On the edge of my nerves!! It’s a tough life living in hope with not even a flurry to tide you over or keep you going. I live in Donegal ffs. But I must live in the worst part. The no go snow area. Sigh .. Thursday. I’ll wait to see what happens on Thursday and then I vow never to get sucked in by the hype and hysteria ever again and just live my life.

Haha I was like that for 2 or 3 years after 2010..can only take so many years though. Really killed my interest in weather !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

Yeah pub run is on steroids :D

300px-Blizzards-5.gif

Can we just put this photo up daily

I spent 5 mins looking at it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

MJohnston wrote: »
    Was the thundersnow of Nov/Dec 2010 something common enough with heavy snowfalls here? It was the first time I remember that happening, and it was glorious (because I hadn't seen either snow or a decent thunderstorm in quite a long time!)

No. It is not that common here. It was courtesy of a very cold airmass aloft travelling over and interacting with much warmer moist air below- the sea.
    Falling snow dampens the sound of thunder but lightning appears brighter than normal because it reflects off the falling snowflakes. It was a sight to behold for sure.

No. It is not that common here. It was courtesy of a very cold airmass aloft travelling over and interacting with much warmer moist air below- the sea.
    Falling snow dampens the sound of thunder but lightning appears brighter than normal because it reflects off the falling snowflakes. It was a sight to behold for sure.

Another way in which 2010 will be hard to beat for a long time to come then!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭odyboody

Somethings in the air alright.
    Gerry Murphy mentioned snow in his forcast:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭kod87

odyboody wrote: »

Is that not a sign of impending apocalypse? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

kod87 wrote: »

He also added "...and I for one welcome our new insect overlords" for some reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,268 ✭✭✭Macy0161

kod87 wrote: »
    It's not serious until they bring out The Eagle!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Is it possible to have 'incessant snow'?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

odyboody wrote: »

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Jesus I fceking love snow coming up to Christmas.
    Any chance in Galway this week?

Jesus I fceking love snow coming up to Christmas.
    Any chance in Galway this week?

High chance Thursday to Saturday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This mornings GFS has a deeper low and passing near and a higher pressure high in Greenland. Interesting times ahead.

EDIT: Looks like the cold weather wants to hang around a bit longer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

EDIT: Looks like the cold weather wants to hang around a bit longer!

How much longer?

• Advertisement

pilly wrote: »
    How much longer?

I wouldn’t say anything based on the morning gfs
    Best are the overnight runs
    The answer is unknown tbh

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement