Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

I can see primary schools going back in a few weeks(government needs the little ones babysat all day of course!), but I feel like there could be delays with secondary if cases keep rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

alroley wrote: »
    I can see primary schools going back in a few weeks(government needs the little ones babysat all day of course!), but I feel like there could be delays with secondary if cases keep rising.

Someone on one of these threads said their kids secondary school has told them opening is already delayed from August 27th to Sept 4th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭doc_17

Someone on one of these threads said their kids secondary school has told them opening is already delayed from August 27th to Sept 4th.

It happens every year where some schools face a delay reopening due to work not being completed. Perhaps it’s that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭combat14

why dont all the schools just go back as normal there have been no deaths the last few days ..?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭alroley

combat14 wrote: »
    why dont all the schools just go back as normal there have been no deaths the last few days ..?

Yikes, the bar is so low.

The rapidly rising cases, the lack of social distancing possible in schools, the no masks. Maybe that's why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Have a quick Google of Israel and see how that panned out for them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

We got our date today. I had expected somewhere in the week of 24th Aug but the secondary aren't opening until the 1st September this year for first years, rest in on the 2nd (only 1st, 2nd and 3rd yr in the school). Primary is due back on the 27th August.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

Next problem will be the students who are sitting the LC in November and might be looking for help.

Are they former students? They could claim they never got their promised face-to-face tuition before sitting the paper.

We'd all love to help but many teachers have more than one LC class and could have a few students looking for help/extra notes etc.

Are any concrete plans being made for students who will supposedly be sitting the LC in November?

I know the groups will probably be much smaller than normal, but they will still take up extra space. How will the noise from other classes be controlled? What about the students who would have been dependent on school transport in rural areas-will they still be able to use it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,049 ✭✭✭combat14

will most schools look for staff to check teacher and student temperatures each day before safely entering the building..?

will most schools look for staff to check teacher and student temperatures each day before safely entering the building..?

We are looking to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

sunbeam wrote: »
    Are any concrete plans being made for students who will supposedly be sitting the LC in November?

I know the groups will probably be much smaller than normal, but they will still take up extra space. How will the noise from other classes be controlled? What about the students who would have been dependent on school transport in rural areas-will they still be able to use it?
    Has it even been confirmed that the exams will be held in schools?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭BonsaiKitten

Has it even been confirmed that the exams will be held in schools?

You'd hope that they are sitting them off-site alright. Let the Department hire out a few hotel conference rooms for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

When are further clarifications due? Sick policy for CV suspected in teachers etc.

Looks like someone has to be the guinea pig, let's choose the teachers, f*cking shame on our government. couldn't give a bollox about anyone who is not a TD or a cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

sunbeam wrote: »

Don't think there's any concrete plan. Prob won't see one til after results issued and after some application process to sit papers. They'll probably have to opt in for that twice too :)

Might be similar to the plans for the extra papers due to illness or bereavement. I think the plan there was for regional centres, so one in the Midland, one in north Dublin etc

Given form I assume they will decide in late October....and inform everyone the Friday of midterm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Might be similar to the plans for the extra papers due to illness or bereavement. I think the plan there was for regional centres, so one in the Midland, one in north Dublin etc

Given form I assume they will decide in late October....and inform everyone the Friday of midterm

It’s not really practical though. A person sitting an exam due to bereavement is sitting a couple of exams.

This will involve some students sitting the whole lot. Might be easily accessible in Dublin or another city for a student in a rural part of the country will they be expected to travel for exams daily for 2-3 weeks?

Schools won't be able to accommodate them or provide the level of security they would normally provide.

I'd guess at regional centres, one in maybe each town or something. I don't think the department have thought it through and I'd assume it would be based on the level of interest. Trinity and UCD do first year exams in the RDS for instance, you travel there. I agree it'll be very inconvenient for the students but I can't see centres being set up in schools during term time

I'd also assume most students will be sitting a couple of exams, very few will opt to sit the 7/8. But I guess maybe if what happened with Scotland's grades happens here we will see more

Actually anecdotally I heard of calculated grades being sent back to schools for review, anyone here this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

It's a cornerstone of Gov policy to get schools open though I really expect delays. Am I nervous? Yes I am. Particularly as it can be the case where you have it but no symptoms.,Thus you can pass it onto someone with an underlying condition.
    Plus without rooms teachers will be forced into small work areas.

It's just amazing that the green list is not enforced. Thus you can get flights to Spain and Uk easily.
    There is no way to really check once back if people quarantine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭Rosita

latest research from US doesnt bode well for the Govt's 'Schools Experiment'

Covid-19 may spread more easily in schools than thought, US report warns

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/middle-east/covid-19-may-spread-more-easily-in-schools-than-thought-us-report-warns-1.4323634?mode=amp

Without being a viral expert I would assume that schools will generally mirror society in relation to the virus. Georgia and many such states are in a fairly bad way so it's unlikely to my mind that schools would not reflect that.
    I never bought into the idea that kids were somehow immune - any teacher will vouch fir how regularly and easily many of them get sick and the number who have underlying conditions which are not normally an issue but will really matter now.

In Ireland my sense is that things will get significantly more difficult with the virus in the coming weeks. Plenty of anecdotal problems coming through even official channels now. In all likelihood schools will reflect that when the time comes. We'll be back but it'll probably be fairly chaotic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Accidentally posted this in covid thread instead of here: it seems clarification is being sought around the mixed messaging regarding mandatory mask wearing in enclosed spaces with the exception of schools. Good to see measured language from the unions rather than frustrated outbursts and easily manipulated sound bites.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40028270.html?type=amp&__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

More fear mongering by the media. There's just 6 more people in ICU in the entire country. The media love pedaling fear. We listened to almost 3 years of Brexit this and Brexit that.
    Then Covid comes along and it is Covid this and Covid that and barely a word about Brexit. The death rate has been zero or close to zero now for weeks. Where I live kids have spent the summer in camps, visiting each others houses, playing sports and hanging out in large groups. The kids, parents and grandparents all seem do be doing just fine.
    Covid is going to be around for along time to come and teachers like the rest of society are just going to have to learn to deal with it. Its just another respiratory disease that we can get and in reality has a mortality rate of close to 0.2%.
    Don't worry there's a series of vicious budgets on the way to take everyone's mind off Covid. In the real world the schools have to reopen, parents have to get back to work and the economy has to get going again or there will be no money to pay teachers wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,393 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

treade1 wrote: »
    More fear mongering by the media. There's just 6 more people in ICU in the entire country. The media love pedaling fear. We listened to almost 3 years of Brexit this and Brexit that.
    Then Covid comes along and it is Covid this and Covid that and barely a word about Brexit. The death rate has been zero or close to zero now for weeks. Where I live kids have spent the summer in camps, visiting each others houses, playing sports and hanging out in large groups. The kids, parents and grandparents all seem do be doing just fine.
    Covid is going to be around for along time to come and teachers like the rest of society are just going to have to learn to deal with it. Its just another respiratory disease that we can get and in reality has a mortality rate of close to 0.2%.
    Don't worry there's a series of vicious budgets on the way to take everyone's mind off Covid. In the real world the schools have to reopen, parents have to get back to work and the economy has to get going again or there will be no money to pay teachers wages.
    It's like the RTE prog about ST James hosp which scared everyone. But then again that was the point.

More fear mongering by the media. There's just 6 more people in ICU in the entire country. The media love pedaling fear..

Maybe they do. But it a fact that a few weeks back we had less than 10 reported cases over a few weeks. Yesterday it was 50. These are facts surely. And its grand to talk about ICU beds but they were probably fairly okay on March 12th before lockdown too. I'd far prefer to know the reality and to go back to school in an environment of caution rather than complacency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Rosita wrote: »
    Maybe they do. But it a fact that a few weeks back we had less than 10 reported cases over a few weeks. Yesterday it was 50. These are facts surely.

Homeless figures are facts too ? 6 or 7 of THEM dead in same timespan 1 or 2 have died of COVID .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Simplistic scare mongering. The EU ain't gonna pull the plug on Money. It's learned it's lesson from the last debacle. Nobody can predict beyond the end of the year at the highest levels.
    You'd also want to get off the high horse about tax. The avg taxpayer gets more back than they give. Plus I doubt your taxes would pay for a back to work scheme

2011abc wrote: »
    Homeless figures are facts too ? .

Well, yeah, unless someone's making them up.

Getting back to the point - I assume the Acting Chief Medical Officer is telling the truth. Some 69 infections today. Then again maybe he's just making it up.

Almost 20% are hospitalized.....the issue is how many beds we have. You'll be fine provided you are in the 80% who are mild or asymptomatic. You'll generally live if you are in the 20% are get the correct care in hospital......not a guarantee with high rates. Long term effects are looking serious, damage to heart, depressive disorders from damage to the brain, damage to liver, kidneys etc. The damage is done by cytokine storms in the body, they are termed storms bu scientists for a reason. They wreak havoc across multiple systems.

I'm young, healthy, fit and have been to a doctor twice in my life. I would not gamble with this illness or any illness that has a 1/5th chance of causing this level of unregulated immune response. No one I know with a decent biological science degree would either.

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote: »
    Well, yeah, unless someone's making them up.

Getting back to the point - I assume the Acting Chief Medical Officer is telling the truth. Some 69 infections today. Then again maybe he's just making it up.

Ahh sure we all know it's just a big hoax

Advertisement