Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

treade1 wrote: »

What's the solution.

The solution was to impose severe lockdown, make the airport a rigorously secure environment with actual proper followed up quarantining, properly secure nursing homes, have a pervasive and rigorous testing and tracing regime, and get to zero cases.

The timing was bad for Ireland as a sh*t government at the end of its time could not believe that they could suddenly just stand in front of a microphone with a pre-prepared speech reading out what the Doctors had told them and they were regarded as doing a great job. This created a lack of focus and a failure to really press on with too much self-congratulation too quickly.

It is probably too late for that solution now and we'll have to live with the consequences of constant outbreaks for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I reckon we will be back fow a few weeks and then it will all change again.
    The mandatory wearing of masks might help those figures in a week or two but the way we are going does not really inspire confidence.

The problem with so many asymptomatic is spreaders are spreading without any knowledge of it. Masks will be here to stay for a long time unfortunately.

Do you really think so ? I hope though plans are being put in place for proper online learning. Though sometimes with kids you can give them access to a laptop and they won't collect it or have access and won't use it. I don't think the constant bleating of the media about student stress helps either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Do you really think so ? I hope though plans are being put in place for proper online learning. Though sometimes with kids you can give them access to a laptop and they won't collect it or have access and won't use it. I don't think the constant bleating of the media about student stress helps either.

I really do.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0807/1157805-coronavirus-global/

They were the first of the 16 German districts to go back. It doesn't bode well.

The numbers today could well be a wake up call. Added to the situation in the Midlands and what is going to happen there.
    What the r rate will be in 2 or 2 weeks time will be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭combat14

hard to see midlands schools opening if lockdown introduced..

Rosita wrote: »
    The solution was to impose severe lockdown, make the airport a rigorously secure environment with actual proper followed up quarantining, properly secure nursing homes, have a pervasive and rigorous testing and tracing regime, and get to zero cases.

The timing was bad for Ireland as a sh*t government at the end of its time could not believe that they could suddenly just stand in front of a microphone with a pre-prepared speech reading out what the Doctors had told them and they were regarded as doing a great job. This created a lack of focus and a failure to really press on with too much self-congratulation too quickly.

It is probably too late for that solution now and we'll have to live with the consequences of constant outbreaks for years.

I think you might be a bit alarmist. Hopefully a vaccine will be in place in about six months.I think the government in March does deserve some credit for following advice at the time . Look at what happened in the UK.
    However I agree fully with you on airports. What is the point of having a green list when you can fly outside it?
    However the airlines need financial support. About 1500 jobs with 1500 families are now on the line for aer lingus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭bren2001

I think you might be a bit alarmist. Hopefully a vaccine will be in place in about six months.I think the government in March does deserve some credit for following advice at the time . Look at what happened in the UK.
    However I agree fully with you on airports. What is the point of having a green list when you can fly outside it?
    However the airlines need financial support. About 1500 jobs with 1500 families are now on the line for aer lingus.

Private companies that didn't give a toss when the times were good, happy to rip off their customers. I'd much rather see the governments money invested in public infrastructure, education, housing and health. It's not a bottomless pit. Hopefully Irish people now see how under funded education is in this country and the issue with large class sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Yeah Aer Lingus is about to kick the bucket altogether. A vaccine will be along but from all the stuff I’ve read and listened to, it doesn’t necessarily mean the end of this at all. At least quickly. Going a bit off topic but how long the antibody response from these vaccines are remain to be seen. There’s talk to booster shots, etc.

Anyway, I starting to think a zero Covid island should have been the objective from a long time back. When cases were so low weeks ago, a short sharp 2/3 week lockdown with effective quarantines at ports and airports, it was easily achievable and still is. In relation to schools, this is a sign of what is to come:

The virus doesn’t care about borders, it doesn’t take the weekend off, 9 euro meals don’t deter it and not wearing face mask Will help it spread. Schools will be no different.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,054 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Anyway, I starting to think a zero Covid island should have been the objective from a long time back. When cases were so low weeks ago, a short sharp 2/3 week lockdown with effective quarantines at ports and airports, it was easily achievable and still is.

How do we deal with our open back door in the North though?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

How do we deal with our open back door in the North though?

Therein lies the rub. If we were able to adopt an all island approach with a short sharp shock approach, no flights in, mandatory quarantine etc we could have the whole island up and running. Won't happen obviously.

Not alarmist at all. Simply stating that yeah the government followed advice (how much credit do they need for that?!) but failed to act in areas which required real decision making. They failed to get a proper efficient and quick contact tracing and testing regime in place and the airports were utterly porous throughout. Italian rugby supporters allowed in just when it was kicking off. People still flying to Belfast from infected areas and being bussed to Kerry in July/August. Mad stuff. That's a simple statement of fact and not remotely alarmist.

• Advertisement

[quote="Redordeadqwwer;114243674

Anyway, I starting to think a zero Covid island should have been the objective from a long time back. When cases were so low weeks ago, a short sharp 2/3 week lockdown with effective quarantines at ports and airports, it was easily achievable and still is.[/quote]

It was achievable but unfortunately the need to open the schools now means a sharp lockdown won't happen. There was s real chance in recent times though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Yeah Aer Lingus is about to kick the bucket altogether. A vaccine will be along but from all the stuff I’ve read and listened to, it doesn’t necessarily mean the end of this at all. At least quickly. Going a bit off topic but how long the antibody response from these vaccines are remain to be seen. There’s talk to booster shots, etc.

Anyway, I starting to think a zero Covid island should have been the objective from a long time back. When cases were so low weeks ago, a short sharp 2/3 week lockdown with effective quarantines at ports and airports, it was easily achievable and still is. In relation to schools, this is a sign of what is to come:

The virus doesn’t care about borders, it doesn’t take the weekend off, 9 euro meals don’t deter it and not wearing face mask Will help it spread. Schools will be no different.

It's not a type of vaccine we've ever successfully managed to bring to market before. In theory its much safer but in trials before coronavirus there were serious issues with memory t cells and long term antibody response. There are companies working on live attenuated and other more traditional vaccines too but the Moderna vaccine is the most progressed currently. I'd be optimistic in saying that maybe healthcare workers will have access to a vaccine withing 12 months, all going well but the general public is more likely to be 18 months even with scaling up of manufacturing.

I suppose it's about managing expectations too, it's a proof reading virus so, all things being equal with similar viruses, we should have a vaccine but the shorter term candidates are still very experimental so it might be anywhere from 18months to 3/4 years depending

You can say every company made it good while times were good. Airlines a pretty competitive business. I would not be dismissive of any job losses from the perch of the public sector. These are real people with families. Same for a lot of other companies.
    That doesn't mean I'm against a total ban on flights from affected areas and it should be All Ireland.
    As to Italy rugby fans. That's the past. Can't undo that.
    I wouldn't fuss over FG poll ratings. No election due plus we have a tough winter ahead off us.
    Housing and health will be bad as ever come January.

You can say every company made it good while times were good. Airlines a pretty competitive business. I would not be dismissive of any job losses from the perch of the public sector. These are real people with families. Same for a lot of other companies.
    That doesn't mean I'm against a total ban on flights from affected areas and it should be All Ireland.
    As to Italy rugby fans. That's the past. Can't undo that.
    I wouldn't fuss over FG poll ratings. No election due plus we have a tough winter ahead off us.
    Housing and health will be bad as ever come January.

I don't wish job losses on any individual but they were privatised. We don't bail out poor people so I don't see why we should bail out rich companies. IAG had profits of around 3 billion last year and want a hand out from the Irish government. Do me a favour....

If AL go under, then they go under. They've had years to sort out their business model.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

bren2001 wrote: »
    I don't wish job losses on any individual but they were privatised. We don't bail out poor people so I don't see why we should bail out rich companies. IAG had profits of around 3 billion last year and want a hand out from the Irish government. Do me a favour....

If AL go under, then they go under. They've had years to sort out their business model.

Ironically, these failed CEOs are more influential in directing education policy than actual teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

in typical DES fashion, Friday evening, 6pm..............
    https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0049_2020.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

For any non-COVID-19 illness, following the necessary period of self-isolation, the terms and conditions of the Sick Leave Scheme apply.

So am I right to read that as the initial period until the test is not sick leave officially but if it’s negative and you are still off it is? So if you have a symptom, come off work and wait for test but it’s negative and you immediately return there is no impact on your sick leave?

That's my reading of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

in typical DES fashion, Friday evening, 6pm..............
    https://www.education.ie/en/Circulars-and-Forms/Active-Circulars/cl0049_2020.pdf

Very high risk/cocooning staff catered for but just 'high risk' staff have no special provision effectively.

Harsh enough.

Am I correct in thinking that for third level, high risk staff were catered for?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Am I correct in thinking that for third level, high risk staff were catered for?

Well, they can work from home if possible but if not then just "take extra care basically.
    Staff who fall into the ‘very high risk’ group should follow the public health advice on cocooning while staff who fall into the ‘high risk’ group should work from home. If working from home is not possible, such staff must take extra care in the workplace to adhere to physical distancing requirements and hand hygiene.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭cwboy

Any idea on the most comfortable face shield/visor for all day use in school?

What happens if you just have a cold and would normally go to work with that ?
    What happens when you are told to self isolate because you were in contact with someone who has it? Does that count towards sick leave??

What happens if you just have a cold and would normally go to work with that ?
    What happens when you are told to self isolate because you were in contact with someone who has it? Does that count towards sick leave??

Well you need to isolate with cold symptoms and get tested. So that will be under this special leave. I suppose if you test negative then you can go back to work if symptoms are mild.

If you are told to isolate as a close contact pending testing, then it is the special leave too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Well you need to isolate with cold symptoms and get tested. So that will be under this special leave. I suppose if you test negative then you can go back to work if symptoms are mild.

If you are told to isolate as a close contact pending testing, then it is the special leave too.

i can imagine some of the students i work with would be quite anxious and upset if i was around them coughing or with a cold, even if i got the all clear. Its going to be though going this year

But after all that - you test negative what happens to the days you were out ?

i can imagine some of the students i work with would be quite anxious and upset if i was around them coughing or with a cold, even if i got the all clear. Its going to be though going this year

That's what your normal sick leave is for. You shouldn't be in work if you're sick.

Yes, it would feel weird, and I could understand the paranoia. I think I would be a bit paranoid myself. But at that stage it would be subject to the normal sick leave provisions, and most people wouldn't be able to use up self certified leave on a mild cold, and may not even have any of that leave left to use. And I can't see a doctor signing off someone for a cold with a negative Covid test.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

cwboy wrote: »
    Any idea on the most comfortable face shield/visor for all day use in school?

I got 2 of these comfortable enough but face visors are not enough on their own as they can still let in droplets.

https://www.paperassist.ie/protective-face-shields/most-popular-pa-protective-face-shields/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Visor and face covering needed.

Advertisement