Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Will there even be breaks? If there are, they will be supervised in classroom ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

Good question, supervising in classrooms means far more supervisors......if they aren't teachers the rooms will get wreaked.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

How can the government justify schools going back without masks before some pubs even open now?

They're looking at it the other way around. The pubs are staying closed SO the schools can open (with no masks)......

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

They're looking at it the other way around. The pubs are staying closed SO the schools can open (with no masks)......

They are spinning it the other way round...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭combat14

how is entry to school, class switches, small break, lunch, exiting building, toilets, sports, buses etc. etc.
    really going to work ...

the restrictions outside school seem to be getting tighter e.g. mandatory facemasks, curfews for restaurants at 11pm etc.

how are schools really going to safely work !!?

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    How can the government justify schools going back without masks before some pubs even open now?

Risk vs. Reward, unfortunately.

Pubs staying closed is harming nobody but the Publicans. While we'd love a few pints by the fire, we can live without it.

Meanwhile, the government sees schools as the biggest and cheapest child minders in the country - get them back up and running at all costs.

hard to see schools with 500, 700, 1200 students fully opening in 3 weeks with only 50 being allowed to safely gather indoors at the moment...?

we have all seen what has happened to phase 4 twice already...

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭F5500

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

No way they're staying open imo, so I'm thinking ahead for a year of teaching online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

We are not using base classrooms for students. They mix for more classes than they don’t so it’s a waste of time

Good to see one school at least using their head. I'd imagine we would be the same. For 2nd and 3ed years they are only in their 'base' group for science, cspe and religion one class a week. That's it. There is no benefit in trying to keep them in that class. It's even worse for seniors, they are together for a ten min tutorial in morning and then never together in their group again. It sounds good to none teachers to keep them in their base group. It doesnt have any benefit in the world though. Scrap tutorials, push for as many doubles as possible and students will be moving a max of four times a day, make schools one way systems with compulsory masks in hall way (hopefully they will be in class), Scatter their lunch break so half have at one time, half have at another.
    We are lucky as we are a very digital dependant school so if/when the school's close again we are fully prepared for that. The poor 6th years this year are really being out through the mill.....and worse of all will still need to sit a LC at end of year.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

The LC will be the next crisis -watch this space.Months of hand-wringing over how to manage it.I suspect it will be worse than what this year's bunch had to put up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I've heard of one local school (secondary) is planning on one week in, one week out. No idea if that's a runner or not.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭pandoraj09

My Principal said yesterday he was leaning towards leaving us with our base classes. I've 30 years worth of stuff in mine, plus an office full of stuff as well. I emailed him requesting that nobody move anything belonging to me and that I'd go in myself and move my stuff if that's what he wanted.
    I was thinking about when we go back. So I walk into a class. Kids sitting chatting. Do I start to sound like a broken record telling them to stay 1m apart?? Lots of ours come in with no books. Sometimes I just give them a spare one to save a big argument. I can't do that now. So they just sit there without the book, not able to move over and share with someone else??
    We have a system whereby kids who leave to go to the toilet wear a lanyard around their neck with the name of the teacher who let them out. That's obviously gone too....
    In our canteen we have a woman who operates a "tuckshop". Can she stay open? Kids going down and buying food and taking it to base rooms???? Can you imagine the mess and the smells and the mayhem????
    Most of the above is just me thinking out loud about my own school but I'm also wondering: Is it now part of our job to police all this??? Are we accountable to management if kids don't stay apart??? I'm staying off the corridors as much as I can. Who wants to be saying to kids they're walking too closely together, move apart etc etc??? Our school is circular. There is one "round" corridor upstairs. Kids walk around and around. Its not even 2m wide!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

shesty wrote: »
    The LC will be the next crisis -watch this space.Months of hand-wringing over how to manage it.I suspect it will be worse than what this year's bunch had to put up with.

Government can’t say the LC won’t go ahead when they are so willing to jam so many students into schools in 4 weeks time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Oh sure I know on a practical level, I am more talking about the politics - they will get back to school and then we will have 9 months of will we/won't we with everyone weighing in with an opinion. Having missed time in 5th year, then with any potential closures and online learning again this year and all that good stuff. :rolleyes: I imagine the argument will be less on safety grounds and more on the grounds of what can realistically be expected of the students.

Hopefully I am wrong.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

shesty wrote: »

Next problem will be the students who are sitting the LC in November and might be looking for help.

Are they former students? They could claim they never got their promised face-to-face tuition before sitting the paper.

We'd all love to help but many teachers have more than one LC class and could have a few students looking for help/extra notes etc.

who can teachers, parents, students sue if covid 19 health and safety guidelines not implemented correctly .. and people start to fall ill or possibly die from this known risk

the principal, BOM, ETBs, Dept. of Education, Minsiter for Education ...?!

any ideas

Listening to the lovely Josepha yesterday on Drivetime, it seems each school will have their own plan.

I assuming it is so that they can ultimately blamed when it all goes horribly wrong.

Will BOMs be indemnified if doing their best?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

The presenter of one of Newstalk’s shows doesn’t have a child sitting the Leaving this year so she’ll be pushing for it to go ahead next year.

As for a school opening one week for one group and another week for other groups....well that’s not a runner. The resources allocated last week wouldn’t be handed out in that case.

Prepare for battle folks. Good luck to all, some will die and some will get infected, infect others and they will die. It is what is going to happen, based on that plan, I’m all but certain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Former HSE boss has piled in on the masks in secondary debate and firmly on the they should wear them side.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/clear-cut-case-face-masks-required-secondary-schools-tony-obrien-1056136?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1596615866

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

I think there is a huge gap in the plans and that gap is remote teaching /blended learning guidelines for all schools
    It is inevitable the way things are going
    They have had since March to plan them
    It will be ineptitude of the highest order if they do not publish something before schools return.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭scrubs33

km79 wrote: »
    I think there is a huge gap in the plans and that gap is remote teaching /blended learning guidelines for all schools
    It is inevitable the way things are going
    They have had since March to plan them
    It will be ineptitude of the highest order if they do not publish something before schools return.

I would thank this post a million times if I could: it is inevitable on a local level at least that there will be blended learning and from what I can see not one red cent is available for training or infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Listening to the lovely Josepha yesterday on Drivetime, it seems each school will have their own plan.

I assuming it is so that they can ultimately blamed when it all goes horribly wrong.

Will BOMs be indemnified if doing their best?

School principals for the most part are no fools. There will be a common approach by schools in the bracket for a locality or nearby, im sure all the community schools for an area will adopt a common approach etc. Principals are and have been constant communication with each other this summer.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

School principals for the most part are no fools.

Stop by our place sometime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

doc_17 wrote: »

Prepare for battle folks. Good luck to all, some will die and some will get infected, infect others and they will die. It is what is going to happen, based on that plan, I’m all but certain.

Agreed. But do we go meeky over the top? Why are we being forced to endure conditions that go against the government's own advice? Any word from the unions?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Agreed. But do we go meeky over the top? Why are we being forced to endure conditions that go against the government's own advice? Any word from the unions?

I think the unions are playing a blinder. Keep their collective mouths shut an pd let the media and parents slowly unravel this plan. Believe me it is happening. Is a slow burner but it's happening. I've met quite a few of the parents I will have next year over over the past week or two through the GAA side of my life and they have lots of questions and queries. Most of them have pulled it apart themselves but want to know honestly what I think and feel about it all.

We all want the same thing, a safe return to school. Safe being the important word.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

I think the unions are playing a blinder. Keep their collective mouths shut an pd let the media and parents slowly unravel this plan. Believe me it is happening. Is a slow burner but it's happening. I've met quite a few of the parents I will have next year over over the past week or two through the GAA side of my life and they have lots of questions and queries. Most of them have pulled it apart themselves but want to know honestly what I think and feel about it all.

We all want the same thing, a safe return to school. Safe being the important word.

Yep, I agree. If it came from the unions that schools are unsafe and wearing masks should be mandatory, then we would just be whiny, selfish, self-entitled teachers who haven't done any work for 6 months and now don't want to work at all... or something like that:D

The last week or so there has been plenty in the media about the reopening of schools and the lack of face masks. Even the most anti teacher person can see that if mask wearing is mandatory in all other places where there are people then why are schools the odd one out where there are crowded rooms? Why can GAA clubs with big wide open air venues only have less than 200 people in the grounds where it is easy to social distance but we can have hundreds more in confined spaces, in some of the biggest schools in the country up to 1500 students plus staff. It doesn't add up.

Let the parents and students, and media hacks have their say. No point us getting involved.

When there are headlines such as this

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-school-closures-5161496-Jul2020/

saying that schools won't necessarily close if there's a case, yet factories are being shut down when there is one and everyone is tested. I'm sure a lot of parents will see that as seeing their children being thrown to the wolves. Pretty sure a lot won't be as worried about us.

It also begs the question, why the big hoo-ha about the contact tracing app if when there is a case in a school most students won't be tested? Lots of inconsistencies....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

There will be obligatory face masks by the time we come back .
    No plan is going to stop kids going near each other between classes or once out the gate. So a lot of this plan is PR.
    Kids will milk this to death to get out of class .
    I'm sure Joe Duffy will be full of irate mother's etc.
    I fully expect some delay going back.
    I'm looking forward to no staff meetings or croke park bull****. If it's done via zoom. I will just turn off video.
    I'm not sure about parent teacher meetings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

There will be obligatory face masks by the time we come back .
    No plan is going to stop kids going near each other between classes or once out the gate. So a lot of this plan is PR.
    Kids will milk this to death to get out of class .
    I'm sure Joe Duffy will be full of irate mother's etc.
    I fully expect some delay going back.
    I'm looking forward to no staff meetings or croke park bull****. If it's done via zoom. I will just turn off video.
    I'm not sure about parent teacher meetings

Advertisement