Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

bren2001 wrote: »
    That's what your normal sick leave is for. You shouldn't be in work if you're sick.

No gp will sign you off for a mild cold. HSE advice (pre Covid) is that it's fine to go to work or school with a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,066 ✭✭✭bren2001

No gp will sign you off for a mild cold. HSE advice (pre Covid) is that it's fine to go to work or school with a cold.

If you're coughing and sneezing, any doctor will sign you off. Mine certainly would have no issue.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    But after all that - you test negative what happens to the days you were out ?

If you were out awaiting a test then it's still the special leave even if the test is subsequently negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭Rosita

They'd have to establish it was a mild cold first. Bear in mind that many of the cases in Kildare in the last day or two were asymptomatic. Not sure doctors will be encouraged to take chances.

If you're coughing and sneezing, any doctor will sign you off. Mine certainly would have no issue.

Certainly not in my experience.

• Advertisement

Rosita wrote: »
    They'd have to establish it was a mild cold first. Bear in mind that many of the cases in Kildare in the last day or two were asymptomatic. Not sure doctors will be encouraged to take chances.

We're talking about after a negative test.

Absolutely no chances should be taken with any sort of symptoms before testing.

Certainly not in my experience.

I'd go looking for a new GP then. If your sick, your GP should be giving you a cert.
    We're talking about after a negative test.

Absolutely no chances should be taken with any sort of symptoms before testing.

Its a bit of a moot point, by the time you get your test and results, the worst of the cold should be over and you'd be back in work.

I'd go looking for a new GP then. If your sick, your GP should be giving you a cert.

Its a bit of a moot point, by the time you get your test and results, the worst of the cold should be over and you'd be back in work.

I would disagree that a good gp should sign you off for a mild cold. I don't think I would respect my gp if he did tbh.

Yes, worst of the cold should be gone by the test result. Nobody said otherwise - we were talking about still having mild symptoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Personally think that all school staff should be tested once a week. Asymptomatic is a huge issue. Would go a lot of the way to providing some semblance of assurance to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

What happens if you just have a cold and would normally go to work with that ?
    What happens when you are told to self isolate because you were in contact with someone who has it? Does that count towards sick leave??
    I'd say it's up to the doctor to sign the forms at end of circular.

• Advertisement

I would disagree that a good gp should sign you off for a mild cold. I don't think I would respect my gp if he did tbh.

Yes, worst of the cold should be gone by the test result. Nobody said otherwise - we were talking about still having mild symptoms.

Any self respecting GP should sign you off if you're still infectious. You can make other people sick and hence are not fit for work. Your sick and should be given time to recover.

I think any other mentality is crazy and that I'm probably in the minority. Sick people should not be in work until they are recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

What happens if you just have a cold and would normally go to work with that ?

There is probably a lesson in this for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

My Doc wouldn't tbh, very slow to give a cert, and that is speaking as someone who has looked for one twice in 20 years. Said yes once and other time he told me that his professional opinion was that I was fit to work (wiht tonsillitis and no voice.....).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

My Doc wouldn't tbh, very slow to give a cert, and that is speaking as someone who has looked for one twice in 20 years. Said yes once and other time he told me that his professional opinion was that I was fit to work (wiht tonsillitis and no voice.....).

Was reading an article today I think in Independent where gps said they would be too busy and overrun that we should go to Medmark.

Any self respecting GP should sign you off if you're still infectious. You can make other people sick and hence are not fit for work. Your sick and should be given time to recover.

I think any other mentality is crazy and that I'm probably in the minority. Sick people should not be in work until they are recovered.

A lot of people would be off for months at a time then, with illnesses that HSE advise it's fine to go to work with (obviously not without Covid test in current times) and explicitly state no need to see a gp. There are many people who suffer sneezing and coughing symptoms on an ongoing or very frequent basis for a variety of reasons.

That's crazy. I'd find a new GP. They are a service I pay for. I expect them to look after my health and if they are not signing me off work, then they are not providing the service I want.

Just to be very clear, I've never got a cert but my family have quite easily. I worked from home with COVID at the very start. I'm not one who takes time off lightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭amacca

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Visor and face covering needed.

is it official the visor is required along with a facemask or is the above just your opinion of what should be required?

A lot of people would be off for months at a time then, with illnesses that HSE advise it's fine to go to work with (obviously not without Covid test in current times) and explicitly state no need to see a gp. There are many people who suffer sneezing and coughing symptoms on an ongoing or very frequent basis for a variety of reasons.

Not all sneezes and coughs warrant being off work. However, I have no issue with people who are sick not being forced to work. There is a distinct difference between someone with long term issues and someone with a cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

km79 wrote: »
    There is probably a lesson in this for everyone

What do you mean? Don't go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

What do you mean? Don't go ?

That many of us have gone to work sick too often (even before the prohibitive sick leave changes ) . I was certainly guilty of this on too many occasions.
    This lead to others becoming sick etc etc

There is a lesson for everyone in this . If those who are genuinely sick stayed at home (and were not penalized for doing so ) it would probably reduce the overall sick leave bill
    But there are those that will abuse it I guess and this is part of the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭TTLF
    save the trouble and jazz it up

Hi, concerned LC 2021 high risk student here,

So since schools are re-opening, does anyone know what’s up for teens who are at way higher risk when it comes to school? Anything in place?

I want to return because I’m leaving cert year, but I’m started to get scared of the possibilities of lack of social distancing in my school since it’s quite small size wise. Just super confused on what I’m supposed to expect and it’s making my head spin because it’s really the last thing I should be thinking about going into a year that determines my life.

Have a feeling I’m going to be in and out of school a lot with this virus. But I find that I tend to get quite sick around November - January from regular colds and such as is.

I’m thinking if I don’t feel safe in school, to immediately complain and stick to homeschool of some sort, I find homeschool quite hard but at this point, I’ve given up on any hope of having a normal education this year.

Thanks to anyone who has any info on this. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

TTLF wrote: »

So since schools are re-opening, does anyone know what’s up for teens who are at way higher risk when it comes to school? Anything in place?

I want to return because I’m leaving cert year, but I’m started to get scared of the possibilities of lack of social distancing in my school since it’s quite small size wise. Just super confused on what I’m supposed to expect and it’s making my head spin because it’s really the last thing I should be thinking about going into a year that determines my life.

Have a feeling I’m going to be in and out of school a lot with this virus. But I find that I tend to get quite sick around November - January from regular colds and such as is.

I’m thinking if I don’t feel safe in school, to immediately complain and stick to homeschool of some sort, I find homeschool quite hard but at this point, I’ve given up on any hope of having a normal education this year.

As far as I know, it would be up to the school to provide what you need. I'm sure if you contacted management that your teachers could link up with you on Zoom while giving their lessons. Obviously any PowerPoints or notes can be shared with you through this or via email etc

Can't see it being a problem, I'm sure your teachers will look after you but be sure to ring school to put your mind at ease

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Personally think that all school staff should be tested once a week. Asymptomatic is a huge issue. Would go a lot of the way to providing some semblance of assurance to everyone.

I kind of agree, but the tests do look fairly unpleasant.You might find a number of people would prefer not to have to go through that every week.Might be a big ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭morebabies

"5.2 Supporting students ‘at very high risk’ to COVID-19
    There may be some students for whom return to school at the end of August/ early
    September may not be appropriate because the relevant public health guidelines indicate
    they are at “very high risk”. Overall responsibility for ensuring that such students receive
    appropriate support to engage adequately with learning remains with the school in which
    they are enrolled. Regular and ongoing communication between school and home will be
    essential to support the student’s engagement with their learning and their continuous
    connection with their classmates and school community.
    Additional supports will be provided for these students from within the staffing resources
    of the school. It may also be possible to utilise support from teachers who are assessed
    as ‘very high risk’ and who are available to work from home. Schools will have discretion
    to manage and redistribute their support resources in order to best meet the learning
    needs of their students, including students at ‘very high risk’ to COVID-19."

That's from here:
    https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/7acad-reopening-our-post-primary-schools/

The whole document is near the bottom of that page, called "Guidance on learning and school programmes... " It has a few more details after the bit I quoted, but it's basically leaves it as the school's responsibility to make arrangements with the individual pupil.

See it's things like the above scenario where the department never showed any initiative and just lumped it back onto schools to sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

amacca wrote: »
    is it official the visor is required along with a facemask or is the above just your opinion of what should be required?

I read it officially. The visor is not effective on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Supporting students at home with zoom will be near nigh impossible. Hard to listen etc in a busy bustling secondary-classroom.
    Plus given we don't have our own rooms - do you really have the time to set it up Everytime you move ?
    Perhaps keep in touch with missing pupils by goggle classroom?
    For a start full licenses for zoom would need to be purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

cwboy wrote: »
    Any idea on the most comfortable face shield/visor for all day use in school?

Just wear a mask for the good of everyone you come into contact with.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200806-are-face-shields-effective-against-covid-19

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Supporting students at home with zoom will be near nigh impossible. Hard to listen etc in a busy bustling secondary-classroom.
    Plus given we don't have our own rooms - do you really have the time to set it up Everytime you move ?
    Perhaps keep in touch with missing pupils by goggle classroom?
    For a start full licenses for zoom would need to be purchased.

It is pretty clear nobody in the Dept has considered the practicalities of making things work.

• Advertisement

shesty wrote: »
    It is pretty clear nobody in the Dept has considered the practicalities of making things work.

Think it's pretty clear they don't care. The anger of parents/students will be directed at schools/teachers.

Advertisement