Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

treade1 wrote: »
    More fear mongering by the media. There's just 6 more people in ICU in the entire country. The media love pedaling fear. We listened to almost 3 years of Brexit this and Brexit that.
    Then Covid comes along and it is Covid this and Covid that and barely a word about Brexit. The death rate has been zero or close to zero now for weeks. Where I live kids have spent the summer in camps, visiting each others houses, playing sports and hanging out in large groups. The kids, parents and grandparents all seem do be doing just fine.
    Covid is going to be around for along time to come and teachers like the rest of society are just going to have to learn to deal with it. Its just another respiratory disease that we can get and in reality has a mortality rate of close to 0.2%.
    Don't worry there's a series of vicious budgets on the way to take everyone's mind off Covid. In the real world the schools have to reopen, parents have to get back to work and the economy has to get going again or there will be no money to pay teachers wages.

Almost 20% are hospitalized.....the issue is how many beds we have. You'll be fine provided you are in the 80% who are mild or asymptomatic. You'll generally live if you are in the 20% are get the correct care in hospital......not a guarantee with high rates. Long term effects are looking serious, damage to heart, depressive disorders from damage to the brain, damage to liver, kidneys etc. The damage is done by cytokine storms in the body, they are termed storms bu scientists for a reason. They wreak havoc across multiple systems.

I'm young, healthy, fit and have been to a doctor twice in my life. I would not gamble with this illness or any illness that has a 1/5th chance of causing this level of unregulated immune response. No one I know with a decent biological science degree would either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Almost 20% are hospitalized.....the issue is how many beds we have. You'll be fine provided you are in the 80% who are mild or asymptomatic. You'll generally live if you are in the 20% are get the correct care in hospital......not a guarantee with high rates. Long term effects are looking serious, damage to heart, depressive disorders from damage to the brain, damage to liver, kidneys etc. The damage is done by cytokine storms in the body, they are termed storms bu scientists for a reason. They wreak havoc across multiple systems.

I'm young, healthy, fit and have been to a doctor twice in my life. I would not gamble with this illness or any illness that has a 1/5th chance of causing this level of unregulated immune response. No one I know with a decent biological science degree would either.

Serious question. Why are you trying to explain something to a person who obviously gets their news from Facebook?

Fair point....I hate that 0.2% number.......tells half a story

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Hope they are going to publish remote teaching guidelines for schools soon.......

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

km79 wrote: »
    Hope they are going to publish remote teaching guidelines for schools soon.......

👀 We'll be waiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,055 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

In the real world the schools have to reopen, parents have to get back to work and the economy has to get going again

421.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

421.gif

EXv5SHEXgAAYCOf.jpg

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

To be fair there is a balance to be struck. Item today about back log in cancer services. Not good.
    We do need an economy. Not everyone lucky to have a public sector job.
    I think the mental health aspect thing can be over blown. It just seems to be trotted out after everything. You'd wonder how anybody gets up in the morning with all the effects everyday life has on us. Yes this is a special event but life is always full of such unexpected events. According to the media everything from driving to starting school is traumatic.

The government has all the info..they have to call it. Thank God teachers have a half decent union. It's usually the members who suffer from yellow belly. The union will step in where it has to but at the moment is probably sitting back waiting for the inevitable **** ups in this plan. You should never stop an enerny from making a fool of themselves.

Bobtheman wrote: »
    To be fair there is a balance to be struck. Item today about back log in cancer services. Not good.
    We do need an economy. Not everyone lucky to have a public sector job.
    I think the mental health thing can be over blown. It just seems to be trotted out after everything. You'd wonder how anybody gets up in the morning with all the effects everyday life has on us. Yes this is a special event but life is always full of such unexpected events. According to the media everything from driving to starting school is traumatic.

The government has all the info..they have to call it. Thank God teachers have a half decent union. It's usually the members who suffer from yellow belly. The union will step in where it has to but at the moment is probably sitting back waiting for the inevitable **** ups in this plan. You should never stop an enerny from making a fool of themselves.

I agree. Personally think the unions are playing a blinder with their position of keeping quiet. The plan will unravel and it won't be our fault as we're doing what we are told while pointing out the obvious faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭Smacruairi

https://ty.ie/2020/08/06/covid-19-transition-year/

Have a look at the TY guidelines. No imagination at all, and the idea to remediate JC work is just lazy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

I don't get my figures from Facebook! Mortality rate - this is based on known cases. Given the amount of people with mild symptoms who are never tested I would assume the mortality rate is significantly lower. Based on these figures the risk to children from opening schools is miniscule. There is an argument for introducing additional control measures to protect teachers with serious underlying conditions or teachers in the 60+ age group but everyone else needs to get on with it.

I don't get my figures from Facebook! Mortality rate - this is based on known cases. Given the amount of people with mild symptoms who are never tested I would assume the mortality rate is significantly lower. Based on these figures the risk to children from opening schools is miniscule. There is an argument for introducing additional control measures to protect teachers with serious underlying conditions or teachers in the 60+ age group but everyone else needs to get on with it.

What if the child shares a household with someone in a high-risk group? I live wit my 70-something widowed father who has hypertension. If I had kids I would take a lot of persuading to send them back to school in a few weeks.

I didn't argue your mortality rate figure, just pointed out its a very narrow way of judging the long term impact this will have on public health.

Cytokine storms in your body F&$£ stuff up, they might not kill you but they might leave you with a compromised heart, liver, kidneys or a memory or mood stabilization issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭treade1

What if the child shares a household with someone in a high-risk group? I live wit my 70-something widowed father who has hypertension. If I had kids I would take a lot of persuading to send them back to school in a few weeks.
    What's the solution. We all stay at home forever and don't let the elderly mix with their grandchildren in case we make them sick. I don't think many elderly people want that sort of life. Obviously if someone has symptoms of any sort of contagious illness they should stay away from vulnerable people to protect them. That was always the case - it was just good manners. Although I'm sure most people have been in work and had a conversation with a colleague about their dickie tummy. That always disgusted me. If you have any sort of contagious illness stay at home and don't spread it to your colleagues!

We are talking about how to minimise spread in a high risk environment, not a single teacher on here has suggested the kids not returning indefinitely

What's the solution. We all stay at home forever and don't let the elderly mix with their grandchildren in case we make them sick. I don't think many elderly people want that sort of life. Obviously if someone has symptoms of any sort of contagious illness they should stay away from vulnerable people to protect them.

The problem is asymptomatic/very mild cases, which are very prevalent among kids. By the time you realise you little dear is infected, granny is on her way to the ICU in the back of a speeding ambulance...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Numbers not great today and apparently tomorrow will be worse with talk of 80 from one factory alone.
    If they keep going up masks or visors will be mandatory at this rate in secondary schools at the very least.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Numbers not great today and apparently tomorrow will be worse with talk of 80 from one factory alone.
    If they keep going up masks or visors will be mandatory at this rate in secondary schools at the very least.

I think the figure of 80 for that factory is a cumulative figure to date? I could be wrong but that’s how I interpreted it.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I think the figure of 80 for that factory is a cumulative figure to date? I could be wrong but that’s how I interpreted it.

That is my understanding as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭maynooth_rules

ShamoBuc wrote: »

if they keep going this way, its blended learning in 3 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

They had 3 cases on July 30th. All staff tested after that. 80 came back positive. Many asymptomatic according to a statement on Twitter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

https://mobile.twitter.com/newschambers/status/1291472624959262721

That's the summary of the situation in that factory.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,414 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

if they keep going this way, its blended learning in 3 weeks.

I reckon we will be back fow a few weeks and then it will all change again.
    The mandatory wearing of masks might help those figures in a week or two but the way we are going does not really inspire confidence.

The problem with so many asymptomatic is spreaders are spreading without any knowledge of it. Masks will be here to stay for a long time unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭grind gremlin

10 of the cases announced yesterday were under 14 years of age

10 of the cases announced yesterday were under 14 years of age

This is what I'm afraid of. When schools open if the age changes from elderly to the youth the numbers could go through the roofl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭doc_17

Makes you question the benefits of masks as you would assume that the meat factories would have had a mandatory mask wear long policy....

Or maybe those 3 factories were lax in their implementation of that policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

doc_17 wrote: »
    Makes you question the benefits of masks as you would assume that the meat factories would have had a mandatory mask wear long policy....

Or maybe those 3 factories were lax in their implementation of that policy.

Or, the workers in the factory are living as cheaply as possible in close quarters.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Or, the workers in the factory are living as cheaply as possible in close quarters.

Kind of like students and school staff going home to their families......and the current plan does not involve mandatory masks or 2m SD. But this is fine

Blush_01 wrote: »

I've heard some of them share beds. As in a bed is shared by 3 people on different shifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Polka_Dot

The clusters in Direct Provision sites make me worried about the children living in these centres. Obviously they have the potential to transmit if they are sent to school, which they shouldn't be, but if they are to self-isolate then many will have little to no access to supports from school either.

Advertisement