Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Downloaded WWII to go through the campaign with tempered expectations. Pretty standard stuff so far, the game looks and sounds great for the most part. The D-Day landing mission has been done before a few times at this stage. One of my most vivid gaming memories is the beach landing in the original MOH.

It is hard to bring anything new to the WW2 genre at this stage, especially for a FPS. The best WW2 games I played and it was only by chance, were the brothers in arms ones.

Currently on a "stealth" type mission and it's caused me to stop playing it a few times. I find it very poorly designed, not really sure what you're supposed to be doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Brozy wrote: »
    Downloaded WWII to go through the campaign with tempered expectations. Pretty standard stuff so far, the game looks and sounds great for the most part. The D-Day landing mission has been done before a few times at this stage. One of my most vivid gaming memories is the beach landing in the original MOH.

It is hard to bring anything new to the WW2 genre at this stage, especially for a FPS. The best WW2 games I played and it was only by chance, were the brothers in arms ones.

Currently on a "stealth" type mission and it's caused me to stop playing it a few times. I find it very poorly designed, not really sure what you're supposed to be doing.

Really reminded me of that too.

Played a couple of hours of COD this weekend - it's not for me - deleted it.

Will give SW Battlefront a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

I think Battlefront 2 might surprise a few people - I enjoyed the first one but it was a bit bare bones. It looks like they really fleshed it out for 2 though including a campaign and multiple varieties of MP - is the hero system still in tact? Used to love to dropping in as Darth Vader in the first and milling through guys with the lightsabers :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,441 ✭✭✭tigger123

Gave COD multiplayer a go last night and thought it was pretty awful. Clunky, rubber-banding teammates and opponents. It feels really outdated.

Battlefront II is a much better game, and well recommended.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    I think Battlefront 2 might surprise a few people - I enjoyed the first one but it was a bit bare bones. It looks like they really fleshed it out for 2 though including a campaign and multiple varieties of MP - is the hero system still in tact? Used to love to dropping in as Darth Vader in the first and milling through guys with the lightsabers :D

Yep, lots or heroes and other special classes to play as. You don't just randomly pick them up tho, you earn points for kills or playing the objective and then use those points to spawn as a hero (or special class). They're can only be one Vader or Luke or Rey at a time tho.

You'll get a spin as a hero at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭Homelander

The Battlefront 2 campaign is worth playing if you're a Star Wars fan just for the cool visuals and nostalgia buzz. It's not good, but it's at least somewhat unique in being a high-production Star Wars FPS campaign.

COD WW2 is the most painfully generic campaign imaginable. Not at all immersive or engaging. The whole game (MP included) is scarily similar to Battlefield V at launch - "We're doing WW2, but we kinda want the best of all worlds, so it's not really gonna feel like WW2, it'll have modern mechanics, skins and attachments"....ok, why bother then in either case?

COD World at War from over a decade ago is infinitely better campaign/multiplayer even today, feels like a real WW2 title.

Homelander wrote: »
    The Battlefront 2 campaign is worth playing if you're a Star Wars fan just for the cool visuals and nostalgia buzz. It's not good, but it's at least somewhat unique in being a high-production Star Wars FPS campaign.

COD WW2 is the most painfully generic campaign imaginable. Not at all immersive or engaging. The whole game (MP included) is scarily similar to Battlefield V at launch - "We're doing WW2, but we kinda want the best of all worlds, so it's not really gonna feel like WW2, it'll have modern mechanics, skins and attachments"....ok, why bother then in either case?

COD World at War from over a decade ago is infinitely better campaign/multiplayer even today, feels like a real WW2 title.

Just a matter of opinion, but I dont think COD WW2 holds a candle to Battlefield V.

I don't either but they both had the same identity crisis in respect to MP - made a big deal about being WW2 games but couldn't resist adding in loads of wacky and modern elements.

I mean COD WW2 got so bad you'd be running around the map seeing lads dressed as 19th century revolutionaries, leprechauns, lads in pink suits, etc.

Like sorry, just no. If you're gonna make a big deal about a WW2 game, make it a WW2 game. Not some wacky Fortnite-inspired shooter within a WW2 framework.

Battlefield is nowhere near as bad, and actually a good game, but they also suffered from not knowing what they wanted it to be upon earlier reveals/launch. The latest pacific add-on was actually deadly and so much more convincingly "WW2" than the base game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭EGriff

What time does the store usually update? I haven’t downloaded a PS+ game in months but I liked the last Battlefront so gonna give 2 a go.

EGriff wrote: »
    What time does the store usually update? I haven’t downloaded a PS+ game in months but I liked the last Battlefront so gonna give 2 a go.

Tomorrow :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

COD WW2 is the most painfully generic campaign imaginable. Not at all immersive or engaging.
    It's so dull. While I appreciate them even putting in a single player campaign I think if this is the best they can do then they may as well not bother. Every cliche in the book, overfamiliar set-pieces, stereotype characters and terrible level design.

The graphics are impressive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Just finished Call of Duty.

Short, corny, cliche and cringe worthy...but still an enjoyable WW2 based shoot em up.

Im personally not into online or multiplayer so I wouldn't in a million years pay for it unless it was under a tenner.

They could put a bit more effort into the campaign, I mean jesus talk about the bare minimum amount of effort.

Battlefront 2 is now available.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Just finished Call of Duty.

Short, corny, cliche and cringe worthy...but still an enjoyable WW2 based shoot em up.

Im personally not into online or multiplayer so I wouldn't in a million years pay for it unless it was under a tenner.

They could put a bit more effort into the campaign, I mean jesus talk about the bare minimum amount of effort.

I got about 5 bunkers into the first mission, and was so bored, I just turned it off, and deleted it. It's been a long while since I enjoyed a COD game, likely MW3 on the Xbox 360 at this point, so it just looks like I've outgrown them!

chrislad wrote: »
    I got about 5 bunkers into the first mission, and was so bored, I just turned it off, and deleted it. It's been a long while since I enjoyed a COD game, likely MW3 on the Xbox 360 at this point, so it just looks like I've outgrown them!

The new campaign on MW2019 is OK but no great shakes.

I'd say the last genuinely good COD campaign I played was Infinite Warfare, thought that was pretty cool and you genuinely get invested in the story/characters, the last mission I was like...."Damn."

The first Black Ops though is hands down the best, absolutely amazing, I'm sure it's aged now given it was 10 years ago but it was something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Jesus Christ 115GB download for star wars!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

Jesus Christ 115GB download for star wars!!!

I guess I won't be getting that then

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They have so little interest in the SP side now, they didn't even release a campaign for Black Ops 4 the following year.

I think we might see an end to the yearly CoD games but Warzone will continue to evolve imo. They now see the profits to be made in a F2P game and are already concentrating on improving Warzone while basically ignoring the normal MP (imo).

I won't be getting CoD: Vietnam or whatever it's called. The only CoD game going forward I'll buy on release is a sequel to AW or IW, as at least they can feel new, whereas WW and modern times have been done to death, and if you try to add anything not WW or modern to them, they get slated (and rightfully so imo).

I think it's time they called a halt to the series and just release another game, basically the same, but with the freedom to do what they want, ie: make up the world, scenarios, etc. They can then add whatever they want and people shouldn't get as butt hurt over ruining 'realism'.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,445 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I don't either but they both had the same identity crisis in respect to MP - made a big deal about being WW2 games but couldn't resist adding in loads of wacky and modern elements.

I mean COD WW2 got so bad you'd be running around the map seeing lads dressed as 19th century revolutionaries, leprechauns, lads in pink suits, etc.

Like sorry, just no. If you're gonna make a big deal about a WW2 game, make it a WW2 game. Not some wacky Fortnite-inspired shooter within a WW2 framework.

Battlefield is nowhere near as bad, and actually a good game, but they also suffered from not knowing what they wanted it to be upon earlier reveals/launch. The latest pacific add-on was actually deadly and so much more convincingly "WW2" than the base game.

That was all added a couple of months into the life cycle of the game but for the first few months it kept it serious. Still think multiplayer is great plus you got zombies and a campaign so I got great value out of the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

I’m trying to download COD:WW2 here but I’m just getting a message saying “An error has occurred”. I’ve had PS+ for years but have never actually downloaded a game. I checked and I have plenty of storage. Not a clue what I’m supposed to do now.

Has this happened to anyone before and if so how do I fix it? Not interested in it personally but I also noticed Star Wars battlefront isn’t appearing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

PSN seems a little unstable tonight, it may be just that. I couldn't find the PSN store just now.

Redo91 wrote: »
    I’m trying to download COD:WW2 here but I’m just getting a message saying “An error has occurred”. I’ve had PS+ for years but have never actually downloaded a game. I checked and I have plenty of storage. Not a clue what I’m supposed to do now.

Has this happened to anyone before and if so how do I fix it? Not interested in it personally but I also noticed Star Wars battlefront isn’t appearing at all.

Strange one, is your system software fully up to date?

Redo91 wrote: »

I had a little bit of hassle with PS+ earlier but has since been OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Redo91

Blaze420 wrote: »
    Strange one, is your system software fully up to date?

Hadn’t thought to check that actually. Will give it a look again tonight. Had a look on Twitter and people seemed to be saying PS+ was down but not sure if that’s just for certain individuals.

Edit: This did the trick in the end. There was actually a system update which I didn’t know about. Thanks a million! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

I finished the Star Wars campaign earlier today. Played it on the hardest difficulty to get as much out of it as possible. But for a few sticky points, it wasn't very taxing. This is probably because the enemy AI is some of the worst I've seen in a while. I'll give the multiplayer a go or one of the other game modes.

Finished the WWII campaign at the weekend as well. Can't really add anything that hasn't been said here before and I've deleted it already.

Overall, I can't complain with the June offerings as they were both on my shopping list.

It's a real pity they don't give the indie games away anymore, even if they included one a month. I installed Uncanny Valley and What Remains of Edith Finch to give them a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Has anyone else been unable to resub to PS+?

Have tried multiple payment methods tonight but getting errors on every one =/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Has anyone else been unable to resub to PS+?

Have tried multiple payment methods tonight but getting errors on every one =/

I re-subbed on Friday after adding credit to the PSN wallet! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I did the other day for the 30% off had no problem doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I re-subbed on Friday after adding credit to the PSN wallet! :)

It won't even let me add funds to the wallet, either directly from card or via PayPal =/

I reckon my bank is flagging the transaction for some reason. Card works fine elsewhere so it's not a problem with that.

Is there any site that sells Irish PSN wallet top-up codes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,488 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

It won't even let me add funds to the wallet, either directly from card or via PayPal =/

I reckon my bank is flagging the transaction for some reason. Card works fine elsewhere so it's not a problem with that.

Is there any site that sells Irish PSN wallet top-up codes?

https://www.eneba.com/store/psn-gift-cards

I used this the other day, worked a treat.

Advertisement