Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation Plus discussion thread - Part deux

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

More of an NBA Jam kinda person so 2K offering doesn't mean much to me personally. Friend of mine loved last years so he will be happy for sure.

Not really played a TR since the original two back when they came out. Bought 2013 but after bout 3 hrs wasnt really feeling it so decided to move on.

I feel I've so many games to play and that I want to play that the PS+ offerings just mean a lot less. If its a bad month I dont really care as I've plenty to be getting on with anyway and if its good it just gets added to the backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,120 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

NBA and their games are popular worldwide.

Fair enough about the baseball. That stuff is ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It’s Rise that’s free this month. Shadow is the third one.

Ah, I quickly looked back at the post and saw Zero's line about giving us Shadow, which mixed me up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

It was annoying when PES 2019 was announced as a free game and then cancelled at the last minute without explanation. The rumour at the time is that it would upset US ps+ subscribers who didn't want a soccer game.

But since then we've been given MLB and NBA :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

It was annoying when PES 2019 was announced as a free game and then cancelled at the last minute without explanation. The rumour at the time is that it would upset US ps+ subscribers who didn't want a soccer game.

But since then we've been given MLB and NBA :rolleyes:

Fifa is the second biggest sports game in America just behind Madden and just above NBA 2k. I have seen many american celebrities and sports stars religiously playing fifa despite not being interested on the actual sport much.
    From 2017

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

Yep I believe the US is EA's second biggest FIFA market after the UK. But it didn't stop Sony getting a lot of complaints there after PES was announced in the lineup and Konami said it wasn't their decision and were disappointed it was pulled.

Maybe there was some other business reason behind it but it just magnifies the issue of offering niche US sport titles (not so much NBA as I gather it's fairly popular). If they got the go ahead to offer PES once surely there is a way they could have offered it as an alternative sports title.

By the way, I'm not outraged by the offerings, just my two cents.

I was just curious if the yanks bought a lot of Fifa and googled it. I'm not big into sports games other than Everbody's Golf World Tour which had it's servers turned off a few years back.
    On of the NBA games was given before and I never even installed it. I actually bought MLB the show one year as I like baseball but couldn't get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,936 ✭✭✭✭titan18

MLB the show is actually a really good game imo. Been playing it recently and it's one of the better sport games I've played.

yeah it gets very good reviews. I couldn't hit the damn ball. I must give it another go.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

bmorrissey wrote: »
    I hate being the person that moans about free games....but im gonna moan.

However i will try out Erica, so there may be salvaging something from the selection

Honesty Erica is terrible and this isnt some "lol story games arent games!" thing, I love visual novels and story based games, it's just bad.

just as a warning It pretty much needs you to download an app on your smartphone to even play the game, the phone app requires 1GB too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭dohboy

Pretty sure I played Rise a few years ago and found Lara Croft incredibly annoying. Gobby toff shooting and smashing everything in pursuit of some all-powerful trinket. I know this is the formula of these things but the storytelling was dumb af imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,560 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Rise was incredibly boring. I tried to finish it twice but gave up mid way through. What I'd give for a Remaster of 1 and 2, make it 1 game with Lara in 2 and flashbacks to levels in 1 to have a nice mix of Exploration and combat. The new trilogy is so far away from the original, it's sad, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,340 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Rise was incredibly boring. I tried to finish it twice but gave up mid way through. What I'd give for a Remaster of 1 and 2, make it 1 game with Lara in 2 and flashbacks to levels in 1 to have a nice mix of Exploration and combat. The new trilogy is so far away from the original, it's sad, imo.

It's been both Ubisofted and Uncharteded, but doesn't do either well.

Thought the first was okay, Rise was passable but forgettable. Didn't even bother with Shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Bad month for me as I have both already. Plus not a great offering anyway, what with NBA 2K being a fiver recently enough. And it's a good game, it's just very VC focussed. I've a good 50+ hours at least I reckon, and I'm still only 78 overall, and I haven't bought any of the tat that also requires VC. But it's not a game you can try out and immediately know if you like it, it takes a long grind to learn how to play, and I think that'll put off a lot of people, especially if they haven't played a basketball game in a long time. Like going from ISS Pro to modern FIFA, there's a lot to learn.

Rise I enjoyed last time I played it. But I wouldn't play it again, it doesn't have replayability. Still better than Shadow, which I couldn't even finish. I think the fact that it's no longer a game about raiding tombs, but it's that coupled with mass murder. I really don't remember killing as many people in the original TR games. Maybe you did. Just remaster 2 already!

Erica looks exactly like something I wouldn't touch. Very meh month.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,923 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Free games are live now

• Registered Users Posts: 12,511 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Hadn't realised they gave Tomb raider for PS3, see it mentioned above now but never played it at the time.

Free games are live now

On the off chance that some people get into NBA 2K20 and want to play some online games with fellow boardsies (which has always been the best online experience in my 2K history), check out the game thread and see if we can get a few games going.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=110556755

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Free games are live now

How odd, I get the banner showing tomb raider and nba but when I click on it, it shows cod and battlefront.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

dudeeile wrote: »
    How odd, I get the banner showing tomb raider and nba but when I click on it, it shows cod and battlefront.

Same as myself, going to leave it for a few hours more before i try it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Direct links, whilst waiting for the monthly games page to update :)

NBA 2K20

Rise Of The Tomb Riader

Erica

Soon as I posted this, they updated the damn page :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭dudeeile

Erica is 40GB, damn.

Erica is 40GB, damn.

Yupp, was looking forward to installing a little indie game to give it a look but feck that, added to the backlog.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Erica is 40GB, damn.

Its essentially a choose your own adventure movie so not surprising

Also for NBA, my Team is basically like ultimate team in fifa, build your squad, design your Jersey and court and play a heap of nodes incl lots off offline stuff as well, actually really cool mode. Anyway, you can enter locker codes for free cards and 2K are dishing a lot out lately as it's end of the season. If anyone wants to get into this mode, i highly recommend checking out this site and using as many codes that still work. You'll get a great team really quickly.

https://www.2klockercode.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

ERG89 wrote: »
    Its essentially a choose your own adventure movie so not surprising

Do you need the phone app to play it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭tigger123

Does NBA land itself do casual playing? If so, which is the best mode?

Quick play against the computer would be the best way. Pick your team, off you go. Think you control all the players, which some people like, I prefer to just control 1 (me) in career so not sure about quick play. Takes a while to get used to it though, there's a lot to it. It's like playing Fifa 18 after having last played ISS!

Also, try 2K camera angle which is vertical instead of horizontal, feels like a different game, much prefer it to the horizontal default.

Except for when you get a steal and try to do a break, only to end up running back towards your own basket! Seems a lot better in 20, but in 18 it ruined any fastbreak I got!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,870 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Seems some subscribers have been getting free credit. Dunno if US only

Advertisement