Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2019 World Snooker Championship (Mod Note Post One)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,097 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He can commentate, analyze and say what he likes when he's no longer a competitor in the tournament.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Reverse jinx or what, Maguire winning the last two, the second with a 121 break. Still all to play for though.

Yes I have the knack! Maguire should be winning of course, but just cant have a whole lot of faith in him at this stage.

Selby-Wilson could go all the way this morning. Selby looked in the groove for a time yesterday but Wilson admirably refused to buckle. Am on selby in that half of draw, but cant be too confident right now. Just hope the bbc relax the taxi driver stuff a bit today, or will be quick switcheroo across to eurosport even if its phil at the controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭Inviere

Jesus the lad on Eurosport commentating on the Maguire Cahill match last night would give Dennis Taylor a serious run for his money in the ‘breathing into the mic’ competition. Very distracting once you notice it, you can’t not hear it then every few seconds :o

Hopefully Wilson can see Selby out here, neither player is super consistent though. I still see Robertson getting the job done, he’ll take some serious playing to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,391 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Long match here with Selby and Wilson which has been slow and methodical.

Selby in big big trouble now though with Wilson likely to take a 12-10 lead with 13 the lucky number.

EDIT: As soon as I post that, Wilson misses a fairly handy shot and Selby has an opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

Ya, Selby/Wilson is a bit of an old skool Crucible ordeal. Gripping stuff though. Hope Wilson wins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Long match here with Selby and Wilson which has been slow and methodical.

Selby in big big trouble now though with Wilson likely to take a 12-10 lead with 13 the lucky number.

EDIT: As soon as I post that, Wilson misses a fairly handy shot and Selby has an opening.

You were right the first time:P

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I know a lot of people would be bored out of their minds watching that frame, but I enjoyed it.

You were right the first time:P

Haha so true. I thought about deleting the edit. And then Selby lost it again. And then Wilson. And then Selby again! :)

Tactical slow snooker at its best. Very enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Really enjoying this audioless BBC coverage from the back of the auditorium! I think I can just about make out Mark Selby at the table?

Selby smashing his knuckles off the table after missing that pot in anger. Could and probably is game over for the Jester.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Selby out, nowhere near the level he was

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭tanko

Great to see slowby and his dire brand of snooker sent packing. Jester my eye, i'd rather watch paint dry.

Selby smashing his knuckles off the table after missing that pot in anger. Could and probably is game over for the Jester.

No second thoughts this time.:p

Trump must be looking at this half of the draw thinking "I'd take any of those guys"...

Selby out, nowhere near the level he was

Yeah it’s strange, he was nearly bulletproof for quite a few seasons, but for whatever reason, he’s making mistakes now, and not able to turn on the pressure cooker like he could do. Glad for Wilson though, fair dues.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭This is it

Big fan of Selby but no issue with Wilson going through, played very well for the most part

• Registered Users Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Delighted for Wilson he played both sides of the game well safety and potting. Also seemed very assured, did not get rattled at all which was amazing.
    I got to be honest I never really heard of him until now. :o
    But he is 15 years a pro and even considered giving up snooker at one stage and he worked as a taxi driver.
    I'm a sucker for stories like that.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,323 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

tanko wrote: »
    Great to see slowby and his dire brand of snooker sent packing. Jester my eye, i'd rather watch paint dry.

Ah he is good to watch when he plays a player of contrasting styles like Ronnie.
    It becomes fascinating to see what happens.
    But I wouldn't be rushing to see an Ebdon v Selby match in fairness.....

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Not surprised to see Selby go out, given how poorly he's played all season.

His "grinder" approach is generally more successful over the long matches at the Crucible, but not this year. Well played, Wilson.

Williams missed frame ball at 68-0 up to level at 8-8, but Gilbert did well to win the frame and end the session at 9-7.

If Williams loses, that will be the world number 1, 2, and 3 all out before the quarterfinals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

oh dear that's a bit of a mini disaster for Williams not to level there. Not sure if that red rolled off or if he just misjudged it. Maybe both.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Strange because i thought selby played some really good snooker in that match. His total clearance in the 12th frame yesterday might well go down as the break of the tournament. Academic now cos he's gone and in truth, began to miss so many easy ones it wasn't undeserved. Wilson has been the bottle player so far, including the qualifiers, so all credit due to him. Carter looking good in that section for me, though.

• Advertisement

Two frames in a row from Cahill to level at 9-9. He's looking very confident and composed out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭This is it

Two frames in a row from Cahill to level at 9-9. He's looking very confident and composed out there.

And some red into the corner to get going in this frame, if he meant it of course!

Woe Maguire's blown this frame big time:eek:

Woe Maguire's blown this frame big time:eek:

Both of them doing their best to lose this one!

But it's Maguire who takes it eventually to lead 10-9. Cahill needs to level again here to have a fighting chance after the interval.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

He is painful to watch.
    JV really needs to go. How can they let a man who doesn't open his mouth when he speaks commentate on snooker? Bring back Big Willy
    Is Robertson wearing a wig?
    I'd love to see Cahill beat Maguire. Maguire looks like he'd rather be any where else, preferably the pub or chipper.

But it's Maguire who takes it eventually to lead 10-9. Cahill needs to level again here to have a fighting chance after the interval.

And he does:)

Painful to watch. The way he constantly looks up to his friends in the stands irks me too.

Cahill has a decent chance here. Maguire looks beyond pissed off. I'd say he could keep Dr. Steve Peters busy for many a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭waynescales1

If Maguire had a better temperament surely he would have won more ranking events than he has, because he has the talent. It's a real weakness of his.

Advertisement