Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Surely Waterford clubs get a greater allocation than Clare. I’d be amazed if we gave them much more than enough for the season ticket holders, maybe enough to double that but I don’t see why we should accommodate them any further than that. Would be foolish to when there will be demand for tickets in Waterford, or at least I’m hoping there will. Attendances so far wouldn’t back up my thoughts here though.

It's an odd way of approaching things. Are there over 5,000 folk in Clare willing to traipse across the length of the province when they'll have three games on their own doorstep coming up? I can see a lot of returns and a mad scramble on the day. In fact, I'm counting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

It's their opening game though, and a huge expectation from the Clare public this year. When you think of how close they were to beating Galway last year and the only team to beat Limerick too... they feel like they're very close to what's needed to go all the way. I can see them travelling in huge numbers. The other way to look at it is this game is *the only* game they have to travel for.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Good workout against Carlow the other night. Great to see Darragh Fives back in action and Maurice motoring well also.
    3.30 to 21pts

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Think 16,000 will be fine for the foreseeable. There was only 12,000 at the Waterford v Clare Munster semi in 2010.

There was 35,000 at a Saturday night game last year. The problem in Munster is that there will always be an unfair advantage for the Big 3 of Tipp,Cork and Limerick. They will all get home Munster finals at some stage so theres less of a chance of huge droughts. Poor auld Clare and Waterford have no chance of ever hosting a final

• Registered Users Posts: 39,498 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

cul beag wrote: »
    Good workout against Carlow the other night. Great to see Darragh Fives back in action and Maurice motoring well also.
    3.30 to 21pts

Cheers for the update, appreciate it. Good to hear D Fives back, did any of the other walking wounded feature? Any more challenge matches coming up that you know of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

puzl wrote: »
    It's their opening game though, and a huge expectation from the Clare public this year. When you think of how close they were to beating Galway last year and the only team to beat Limerick too... they feel like they're very close to what's needed to go all the way. I can see them travelling in huge numbers. The other way to look at it is this game is *the only* game they have to travel for.

True practically 3 home games for Clare with the Gaelic grounds closer to half the Clare players than Ennis. Still I cant see Clare travelling in big numbers. They have a great die hard support but it's very small. Limerick on the other hand....they ll travel..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭914

Its getting real boys, cctv has been installed at Walsh Park! Must be expecting crowd trouble :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

BloodyBill wrote: »
    There was 35,000 at a Saturday night game last year. The problem in Munster is that there will always be an unfair advantage for the Big 3 of Tipp,Cork and Limerick. They will all get home Munster finals at some stage so theres less of a chance of huge droughts. Poor auld Clare and Waterford have no chance of ever hosting a final

Cork v Limerick. The biggest crowd any of the round robin games free as well, so rather than play down the Saturday night factor maybe you should build it up.

Reality is 20,000 is the max you'd have at a Waterford game, maybe they should have stretched to that but you are talking two games (Cork and Tipp) every second year. Some difference between that and the crowd Roanmore v Mt Sion would draw in April (height of respect for both clubs, just the nearest City clubs taken as a representation).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

puzl wrote: »
    Absolutely no fear of a large travelling Clare support, they don't travel the same way we didn't travel last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

914 wrote: »
    Its getting real boys, cctv has been installed at Walsh Park! Must be expecting crowd trouble :-)
    Is that you, Ned Quinn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Limestone1

3.30 to 21pts

I thought there was no county sessions allowed for April ?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Limestone1 wrote: »
    I thought there was no county sessions allowed for April ?

There surely is. April for Clubs is farcical at best. Waterford county board to be fair make some effort with it and attempted to play 2 rounds of hurling and football, with one hurling round lost due to the league final.
    But some counties continue to train collectively, play only league games and make the county players available for these games, thus adhering to the April for Clubs..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭914

deiseach wrote: »
    Is that you, Ned Quinn?

Sssssssh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

3.30 to 21pts

Any more info in this? Team and scorers?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

DiscoStew wrote: »
    There surely is. April for Clubs is farcical at best. Waterford county board to be fair make some effort with it and attempted to play 2 rounds of hurling and football, with one hurling round lost due to the league final.
    But some counties continue to train collectively, play only league games and make the county players available for these games, thus adhering to the April for Clubs..

I think the whole panel are off to Portugal on Monday

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

I think the whole panel are off to Portugal on Monday

Obviously on a sightseeing holiday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Obviously on a sightseeing holiday

On a serious note, Wasnt there counties banned and/or fined for not adhering to 'April for clubs' last year? What exactly is the story with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

On a serious note, Wasnt there counties banned and/or fined for not adhering to 'April for clubs' last year? What exactly is the story with it?

On the GAA hour podcast it was mentioned that this year counties can get permission from Croke Park to go on foreign training camps although I haven't seen it anywhere else.

Last year Wexford players paid for their trips out of their own pockets and were refunded the money by the county board in order to blur any audit trail. Perhaps this isn't necessary though this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Good to see local business Waterford landscapes brought in to sort out the Walsh park surface for the championship. Must say its looking well:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

IanVW wrote: »
    Good to see local business Waterford landscapes brought in to sort out the Walsh park surface for the championship. Must say its looking well:cool:

Looks great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

Based on the games I saw during last week’s round of the Waterford club senior hurling championship, there are several players who are not on the county senior hurling panel who are better than some of those who are on the panel. The players who particularly impressed me were Dungarvan’s Kieran Power, Abbeyside’s Neil Montgomery, De La Salle’s Jack Fagan and no fewer than four Lismore players – John and Paudie Prendergast, Ray Barry and Iarlaith Daly (I have no connection with this club).

Waterford could do with a physically strong and forceful player in the full forward line, and on the basis of his performance in the game between De La Salle and Lismore, Fagan seems capable of filling that role. He made the key contribution in turning this game around when defeat seemed to be in prospect for De La Salle.

While I am well aware of Ray Barry’s hurling abilities, I had never seen him play in the full forward role before and he was very impressive in the same game, getting out to the ball first and using it very well. Again, based on this performance, I would see him as an overall better option for a corner forward position than some of these who featured in this position during the league.

I have long been of the view that, if Waterford are to be serious All-Ireland contenders, they need a more dominating wing back than Philip Mahony. Mahony is good at tidying up play and passing the ball around, but he doesn’t have the mobility, drive or ball-winning ability of wing backs such as Padraig Mannion, Cillian Buckley or Diarmuid Byrne. John Prendergast possesses the physicality and combativeness required in this position. If I remember correctly, he did get a start with the Waterford seniors shortly after he moved up from minor in a league game against Cork in Páirc Uí Rinn but got a nasty leg injury in that game and disappeared from view thereafter. On the basis of the De La Salle game, he still possesses the abilities which marked him out as a prospect in his underage days.

Incidentally, the same game has surely demonstrated that wing forward is Maurice Shanahan’s best position. Derek McGrath had a tendency to play him in a full forward position (usually on his own) and in my view this position does not suit him at all, as he lacks the physicality to win ball and take on defences in tight situations. Wing forward suits him much better as it gives him space to use his long stride to get free of markers and run at defences.

A key general weakness in Waterford hurling at the moment is a lack of players able to win aerial ball. There are certain players in Waterford who possess this ability, such as Michael Harney, DJ Foran and John Paul Lucey. I am surprised that Harney in particular, who was an outstanding wing back at minor and under 21 level, has not made progress at senior level. Players such as these should, in my view, have been made special project players with a view to developing their overall skill levels. However, Waterford does not appear to have the kind of coaching set-up which identifies future needs, either in general skill levels, or in particular positions, and then puts special long-term measures in place to address these needs.

The big question, of course, as Waterford prepare for the championship, is how best to utilise Austin Gleeson’s outrageous talent. Playing him in the half forwards is not achieving this. He does make excellent contributions, but these occur haphazardly and too infrequently, and much of the time the game just passes him by. He does not appear to have the capacity to visualise how plays are likely to develop and get into position to impact on these plays.

It is possible that Waterford could develop a game plan designed to get the ball to Gleeson in situations where he can inflict maximum damage on the opposition. But this probably depends on Waterford establishing a platform of possession to put such a plan into effect. The fact remains that Gleeson demonstrated an ability at underage level to absolutely dominate games from the centre back position. I am reminded of the Munster minor hurling semi-final against Cork in 2013 when things were going badly for Waterford until Gleeson decided that something had to be done and virtually turned the tide single-handedly (although I would add that the introduction of DJ Foran in the second half of that game was a second key factor in forging Waterford’s victory). I am also reminded of the Munster Under 21 final in 2016 against Tipperary when, after an indifferent first half on Waterford’s part, Gleeson produced an astounding second half performance which was the key contributor to Tipperary being blown away.

Some people have argued that Gleeson isn’t suited to centre back because he is not a man marker. The last thing you want Gleeson to be doing at centre back is marking someone. We have plenty of other players who can do that. Gleeson should be given his head to attack the ball and drive forward, with the likes of Tadhg de Búrca, Darragh Fives and Kevin Moran perfectly capable of providing cover when he does so. Gleeson has also shown an ability to send superb ball into his forwards, an ability which can best be utilised from the centre back position.

A final question: whatever happened to Seamus Keating? Keating impressed in Waterford’s final championship game against Cork last year and seemed to be on the threshold of moving into contention for a place on the team. He has not been seen since.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Stationmaster

deiseach wrote: »
    It's an odd way of approaching things. Are there over 5,000 folk in Clare willing to traipse across the length of the province when they'll have three games on their own doorstep coming up? I can see a lot of returns and a mad scramble on the day. In fact, I'm counting on it.

Clare will take their full allocation whatever it ends up being.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭blueflame

Excellent post Giveitfong and would agree whole heatredly with many of the points raised particularly ;

a) Placing of Shanahan at wing forward - much more suited to that position and also gives us better ball winning ability there
    b) the possibility of Gleeson at Center back - causes much more problems for opposition as can they afford to leave him free with his ability to drive forward and delivery of ball.
    c) The likes of Ray Barry and Jack Fagan as real alternatives in the full forward line. While we have quite a few options all of them tend to be quite similar style
    d) The additional options the likes of the Prendergasts, Harney and Seamus Keating would give us in he half back line

Not sure what the story is as sometimes lads are just not wiling to give the commitment required, which is understandable given the fact that they are asked to put their lives on hold, but I would hope that Pauric will have a closer look at these over the coming 12 months as he settles in and continues to freshen up the squad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Fred C Dobbs

Giveitfong,

very incisive analysis (as usual).

I think the panel is fairly well nailed down at this stage so wouldn't expect to see any last minute additions.

At the recent "Deise in Dublin" event (in Croke Park), it was said that given all injuries have virtually cleared at this point. It was good to see Aussie looking very lean (a fine specimen of a man, up close !).

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

Giveitfong wrote: »
    Based on the games I saw during last week’s round of the Waterford club senior hurling championship, there are several
    .......A key general weakness in Waterford hurling at the moment is a lack of players able to win aerial ball. There are certain players in Waterford who possess this ability, such as Michael Harney, DJ Foran and John Paul Lucey.

Great post as usual Giveitfong but I have to disagree re DJ Foran. Yes he is a big tall lad but I have seen him several times now being totally ineffective in this very roll. In fact for a lad of his size he is very reluctant to get in under the dropping ball and often tends to drift out of the play looking for the easy pass. I think management tried to give him every chance during the league but it's telling by the league final they had given up on that tactic. Nothing against him just think he's not at the level.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

RIP Pat O’Sullivan, and sympathies to his wide circle of famiy, friends and all involved in Ballygunner GAA.

Let it be said, the man WAS Ballygunner

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Relhcstirt

RIP Pat O’Sullivan, and sympathies to his wide circle of famiy, friends and all involved in Ballygunner GAA.

Let it be said, the man WAS Ballygunner
    Well said, and he was much more than just a hurling man.

Maurice won an all star at full forward so I don't think anyone can say he's unsuited there. However I would agree that he's an option for the wing. Some lads may be better informed than me but from what I've heard he has a niggly injury and they are trying to manage him.

To me DJ looks like he lacks a bit of aggression under the high ball. Watch TJ Reid muscle his man out of the way, a perfect example was in the league match last year when he did it to Tadhg. Unfortunately DJ doesn't do that as his paw is very good. I also think he's a confidence player and if he gets a good touch in early he tends to play his best.

Micheal Harney is unfortunately lacking the pace for inter county. I note he didn't play for his club two weeks ago, so like Conor Gleeson and Brian Ó Halloran is presumably still injured.

I don't see it in Kieran Power. He's physically strong and fit but his hurling isn't inter county standard in my view. He was directly at fault for at least 1-1 against Tallow. Also he picked up a nasty looking injury but hopefully he won't be out for long.

I share the view on Philip Mahony. He's honest and very strong over a contested ball but personally I think he's just below the level needed. My preference would be to play Conor Prunty at half back (where he started his only league game against Offaly) but that raises a question of who could play full back, especially as the Fives and Conor Gleeson are also lacking match time. However having watched Prunty with Abbeyside for the past few years his ability to drive forward is a huge asset.

Austin Gleeson and his positioning is probably the biggest conundrum for the management. If Waterford are to have a big year, Austin has to. I would agree with some of the above that his best position is centre back. However we learned that our forwards are not as strong as our backs and hence it could be that Waterford need him more in the forwards. He wasn't as bad as some made him out to be against Limerick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Maurice was in stunning form for Lismore a couple of weeks back and he definitely has the hunger in his legs for half forward based on that performance. I get the feeling he has deceptive speed as he seems to go on mazy runs with good ability to shield the ball as his awareness of danger around him has improved over the years. Maybe that's covering for pace.

I'm surprised to see Philip Mahony's position questioned as he has along with Noel Connors been one of our most reliable and consistent defenders over the years. I agree that he doesn't dominate games in the way Gleeson might but he usually gets the better of the man he is marking.

Prunty was full back in the Munster League Game v Clare, and in the national league against Offaly, Laois and Dublin (until injured) and I think will be our full back for the year once injury free.

For Aussie, I think he will be wing forward for the year. In a perfect world, he's our centre back but hasn't secured a position there this year. What he's capable of doing is different to what he's currently doing and for me, he's wing forward this year and hopefully wins himself an all star by leading our attack.

• Advertisement

Maurice was in stunning form for Lismore a couple of weeks back and he definitely has the hunger in his legs for half forward based on that performance. I get the feeling he has deceptive speed as he seems to go on mazy runs with good ability to shield the ball as his awareness of danger around him has improved over the years. Maybe that's covering for pace.

I'm surprised to see Philip Mahony's position questioned as he has along with Noel Connors been one of our most reliable and consistent defenders over the years. I agree that he doesn't dominate games in the way Gleeson might but he usually gets the better of the man he is marking.

Prunty was full back in the Munster League Game v Clare, and in the national league against Offaly, Laois and Dublin (until injured) and I think will be our full back for the year once injury free.

For Aussie, I think he will be wing forward for the year. In a perfect world, he's our centre back but hasn't secured a position there this year. What he's capable of doing is different to what he's currently doing and for me, he's wing forward this year and hopefully wins himself an all star by leading our attack.

Apologies I'm getting two incidents mixed up. Shane Fives was the one who only started one game in the league and that was against Offaly. And Prunty was wing back until that injury occurred but did play full back for the other games as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement