Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Giveitfong wrote: »
    De La Salle 2-21 Lismore 1-18

A late surge saw De La Salle edge out Lismore in this highly entertaining first round senior hurling championship game in Fraher Field this afternoon.
    This game was of a far higher standard than any of the others I saw over the weekend. Lismore played some superb hurling here but ultimately lost out due to lower fitness levels which saw them fade out in the final quarter when it was De La Salle’s turn to shine. A strengthening wind in their faces and a brilliant double save by De La Salle goalkeeper Shaun O’Brien midway through the second half also contributed significantly to Lismore’s ultimate defeat.

Playing into the wind, De La Salle started well, boosted by a first-minute goal by Cormac McCann, but then Lismore got an iron grip in the game. Working hard, showing high skill levels and good teamwork, they set up a stream of good ball into their forwards where Ray Barry, Paudie Prendergast and, especially, Maurice Shanahan were outstanding. In defence, wing back John Prendergast and centre back Iarlaith Daly were particularly prominent. By half time the Cathedral Town men had a seven point lead, 1-12 to 1-5, the goal coming from Ray Barry.

Lismore battled hard to maintain their lead in the third quarter, with Maurice Shanahan continuing to lead the charge and might have held on were it not for O’Brien’s double save from Shanahan and Ray Barry in the 46th minute. O’Brien also made a super save in the first half. In the final quarter De La Salle took over, led by Jack Fagan who fired over a series of excellent long range frees with wind assistance, with Kevin Moran also thundering into the game at wing back. The switch of Jake Dillon from midfield to corner forward in the second half was also significant with Dillon hitting three good points. Eddie Meaney’s 57th minute goal finally put the game beyond Lismore’s reach.

County panel watchers will have been thrilled by the numerous excellent individual performances which were witnessed on the day. Top of the list was an irrestistable display by Maurice Shanahan who terrorised the De La Salle until the supply dried up towards the end. He ended with game with six points from play and six from frees. His first point, early in the first half, was one of the scores of the weekend. John Prendergast turned in a powerful performance at wing back, Paudie Prendergast showed his full range of lovely ball skills at centre forward and Ray Barry was very sharp at full forward. Jack Prendergast also had his moments, but was starved of possession in the later stages.

The big performance on the day for De La Salle was from full forward Jack Fagan who was on the frees, six of which he converted, along with four from play. He is physically very strong, and obviously back to full fitness after serious injury problems over the last year or two. Despite being given a lot of problems by Paudie Prendergast, Shane McNulty did an excellent job directing the De La Salle play from centre back, and became increasingly influential as the game progressed. Shane Ryan also did well with a three-point haul from play.

De La Salle: Shaun O’Brien; Sam Flynn, Conor Giles Doran, Michael Doherty; Ryan Duke, Shane McNulty, Kevin Moran; Jake Dillon (0-4, one sideline), Eddie Barrett (0-2); Adam Farrell (0-1), Pauric Nevin (0-1), Shane Ryan (0-3); Jack Fagan (0-10, 0-6 frees), Cormac McCann (1-0), Eddie Meaney (1-0).

Lismore: Seanie Barry; Aaron Whelan, David Prendergast, Shane Heaphy; John Prendergast, Iarlaith Daly, Anthony McGlone; Jordan Shanahan, Joe Lenihan; Maurice Shanahan (0-12, 0-6 frees), Paudie Prendergast (0-2), Finbar Reaney (0-1); Oisín O’Gorman (0-1), Ray Barry (1-1), Jack Prendergast (0-1).

Dungarvan 0-22 Tallow 3-12

In the curtain raiser at Fraher Field, a three-goal burst from Thomas Ryan in an 11 minute spell between the 52nd and 63rd minute almost stole the win against Dungarvan. The first half never got beyond the pedestrian, and was mainly a free-taking duel between Thomas Ryan and Patrick Curran, with Tallow turning over two points ahead, 0-10 to 0-8.

With wind assistance, Dungarvan dominated the third quarter, building up an eight-point lead, with Gavin Crotty (who had an excellent game) and Cathal Curran hitting some excellent points. Then, in the 52nd minute, Thomas Ryan converted a penalty after the Dungarvan rearguard had been badly caught out, and two minutes later Ryan careered through the Dungarvan defence to blast an unstoppable shot to the net. Then, in the 63rd minute, Ryan ran on to a pass to first-time the ball off the ground past Dungarvan goalie Gavin Power. The game seemed set to end in a draw, when Gavin Crotty popped up with a last-minute point to give Dungarvan what was probably, on the overall balance of play, a deserved win. That said, Thomas Ryan, who gave an excellent free-taking display with the wind in the first half, missed all five of his frees in the second period.

Star of the show for Dungarvan was centre back Kieran Power. Physically very strong and a good hurler, Power’s constructive use of the ball was a particular feature of his play. I have always wondered why this player, who was also very good at under age, never appears to have got a chance with the county seniors. Unfortunately he shipped what looked like a nasty leg injury late in the game. Patrick Curran, who played the first half at wing forward and the second closer to goal, had little impact on the game apart from his nine pointed frees and one late point from play.

Great report. I didn’t get to see the Dungarvan/ Tallow game but was fortunate enough to see the second one. It was an excellent game throughout and as you said and definitely the wind had a huge bearing on the result. As you stated when the supply dried up to the Lismore forwards the writing was on the wall for them,both their midfielders were in severe trouble from early on and their management seemed oblivious to this. From a DLS perspective Fagan came into the game when they really needed him. Dillon has been quite for a lot of it but contributed some great points when they were needed.
    As I posted previously I think DLS will be thereabouts but I was impressed with some of Lismore’s hurling,at times the movement and play from their forwards was wonderful to watch. Finally, the saves made by O Brien are well worth seeing again on TG4 tonight. Also, well done to the referee Tyler Walsh on his handling of a wonderful contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

What’s the story with Fagan, does he still play with Meath or is he eligible for Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

What’s the story with Fagan, does he still play with Meath or is he eligible for Waterford?

I know he was on the senior panel under McGrath for a while but didn't make the grade, never heard of him playing for Meath since anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 37,872 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Apparently Fanning was up watching him and he could join the panel but we have enough on it already

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Deiseland

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Apparently Fanning was up watching him and he could join the panel but we have enough on it already

Did fanning say “we have enough on the panel”? Because I like a lot of deise supporters feel Fagan is definitely worthy of the call up to the panel. A good balll winner and finisher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭conor05

Deiseland wrote: »
    Did fanning say “we have enough on the panel”? Because I like a lot of deise supporters feel Fagan is definitely worthy of the call up to the panel. A good balll winner and finisher.

He is definitely worth a place on the panel. Bigger and better ball winner than some on the panel already.

Only time will tell whether he gets the call up or not though.

Minor footballers start there campaign tonight. There in phase 1 in a round robin with Tipp, Limerick and Clare. All teams play each other with top 2 contesting a final with the winner going into phase 2 where they will face Cork and Kerry.

http://munster.gaa.ie/fixtures/minor/

Waterford fixtures
    Weds 10 April- Tipp- Sean Tracey Park Tipp Town 6.45
    Weds 17th April- Limerick- Fraher Field 6.45
    Weds 24th April- Clare- Fraher Field 7pm

Hopefully they give account of themselves. No doubt big effort goes in by the players and management team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'm from meath and we were gutted to lose him but understood he wanted to play at the highest level. He'd walk straight back into the meath folks if he wanted but I understand he's set himself up in Waterford now and playing well.

Fanning could do worse than give him a run out

brinty wrote: »
    I'm from meath and we were gutted to lose him but understood he wanted to play at the highest level. He'd walk straight back into the meath folks if he wanted but I understand he's set himself up in Waterford now and playing well.

Fanning could do worse than give him a run out

Isnt he back from a major injury ??

I imagine he would of got a run out in the league but prob struggling too get fit in time to be considered

Would be a massive statement if he joined the panel now and started vs Clare. Imagine him the answer too our ball winning problem

• Registered Users Posts: 39,501 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Minor footballers trail Tipp 3-7 to 0-5 at half time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Pling

ONLY 1 WEEK UNTIL CROKE PARK

MC Oisin Langan, Paraic Fanning and representatives from CLG Port Lairge - Waterford GAA, Waterford Ladies Football and Waterford Camogie

Level 5, Cusack Stand, Croke Park.

Parking at the back of the Cusack Stand, entrance via Clonliffe Road.

Finger food & Beverages on arrival.

Throw in at 7pm

Adults - €20, Kids - Free.

ALL MONEY RAISED GOES TO SUPPORTING WATERFORD GAA TEAMS IN ALL CODES

• Registered Users Posts: 39,501 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

KevIRL wrote: »
    Minor footballers trail Tipp 3-7 to 0-5 at half time

4-13 0-7 full time

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

Each club to get 3 stand and 20 terrace tickets for the Clare game. Good luck getting one if you’re not a season ticket holder or member of a club.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

DiscoStew wrote: »
    Each club to get 3 stand and 20 terrace tickets for the Clare game. Good luck getting one if you’re not a season ticket holder or member of a club.

I'd say those figures will be revised upwards radically. They tried a similar stunt in '08 with AI tickets. That dog didn't hunt then and won't hunt now. Allocations at least in line with what clubs sold last year for similar matches will be more like it. And rightly so. It won't discommode any true Waterford supporters at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

I'd say those figures will be revised upwards radically. They tried a similar stunt in '08 with AI tickets. That dog didn't hunt then and won't hunt now. Allocations at least in line with what clubs sold last year for similar matches will be more like it. And rightly so. It won't discommode any true Waterford supporters at all.

The only thing is that up to maybe the last few years, supporters would have ordered off the club but since they became available online and in Centra/Super Valu, I'd say clubs were getting very few orders over the last few years until All-Ireland semi and finals. How many will Clare clubs get I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭freedominacup

The only thing is that up to maybe the last few years, supporters would have ordered off the club but since they became available online and in Centra/Super Valu, I'd say clubs were getting very few orders over the last few years until All-Ireland semi and finals. How many will Clare clubs get I wonder

Apparently season ticket holders in both counties have a right to buy/get tickets which is looking after a good few. The 20 and 3 seems to be correct after season ticket holders and players allocations are dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

I kinda miss match tickets being allocated in blocks though the clubs. People wax lyrical about how GAA fans from different teams can mix without aggro, and that's grand in itself, but it dilutes the atmosphere. I have a vivid memory from the game against Limerick in 2001, when we fell apart late on, of a Limerick back clearing the ball and there being a split-second pause before....boom! the roar of their fans hit us on our terrace. Not pleasant obviously, but there were a good few times when we were part of such a roar, my favourite one being when Paul Flynn's free against Clare in the drawn Munster final in 1998 hit the back of the net. Yep, good times.

The Clare game is the 'free' game for season ticket holders

Wonder will it be a mix of stand and terrace or just one of them ?

Apparently season ticket holders in both counties have a right to buy/get tickets which is looking after a good few. The 20 and 3 seems to be correct after season ticket holders and players allocations are dealt with.

Ya that’s what I was getting at originally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Are Clare clubs getting 23 tickets too?
    There's what.... 50 Waterford clubs x 23 tickets = 1150 tickets. So if Clare have a massive season ticket holding we could be outnumbered at home? Hopefully not!

• Advertisement

Are Clare clubs getting 23 tickets too?
    There's what.... 50 Waterford clubs x 23 tickets = 1150 tickets. So if Clare have a massive season ticket holding we could be outnumbered at home? Hopefully not!

Not a hope in hell are Clare clubs getting tickets. You’ll have Clare season ticket holders, possibly all of them depending on numbers. That will be it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Would be great to see everyone bring the colours and flags and make Walsh Park a proper fortress now before the revamp so we've a good memory of the 'old days' !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

deiseach wrote: »
    I kinda miss match tickets being allocated in blocks though the clubs. People wax lyrical about how GAA fans from different teams can mix without aggro, and that's grand in itself, but it dilutes the atmosphere. I have a vivid memory from the game against Limerick in 2001, when we fell apart late on, of a Limerick back clearing the ball and there being a split-second pause before....boom! the roar of their fans hit us on our terrace. Not pleasant obviously, but there were a good few times when we were part of such a roar, my favourite one being when Paul Flynn's free against Clare in the drawn Munster final in 1998 hit the back of the net. Yep, good times.

Great memories reading those accounts of games....the ‘98 reply wasn’t that memorable from a Waterford perspective but I would have to say I never remember such a poisonous atmosphere before a gaa match and then the colon Lynch incident etc.....loughnane sent his team our like guys ‘possessed’

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Road-Hog wrote: »
    Great memories reading those accounts of games....the ‘98 reply wasn’t that memorable from a Waterford perspective but I would have to say I never remember such a poisonous atmosphere before a gaa match and then the colon Lynch incident etc.....loughnane sent his team our like guys ‘possessed’

He did and Waterford weren't anywhere near the level required that day unfortunately. I cant wait for the Clare game aswell. I'm living in the UK and looking forward to spending a night in Waterford.It's been a game I feel is a must win for both Clare and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,518 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

BloodyBill wrote: »
    He did and Waterford weren't anywhere near the level required that day unfortunately. I cant wait for the Clare game aswell. I'm living in the UK and looking forward to spending a night in Waterford.It's been a game I feel is a must win for both Clare and Waterford.

But sur Waterford weren't anywhere the level required that day because they had crap beat out of them before the ball was thrown in.

1 month too go til the Championship with the first game been almost do or die in front of a packed Walsh Park.

on the 11th May the senior footballers will face Clare in Ennis in the Munster QFs. Winners face Kerry in the semi finals on Sat 1st June. Loser will play in the 1st Round Qualifers on the 8th June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

JeffKenna wrote: »
    But sur Waterford weren't anywhere the level required that day because they had crap beat out of them before the ball was thrown in.

Don’t buy that at all, plenty of those Waterford lads were far from shrinking violets Waterford gave every bit as good as they got that day. That was a fantastic Clare team who when they turned it on could demolish you. They were robbed in that semi final that was blown up before time and never really recovered after it.

Don’t buy that at all, plenty of those Waterford lads were far from shrinking violets Waterford gave every bit as good as they got that day. That was a fantastic Clare team who when they turned it on could demolish you. They were robbed in that semi final that was blown up before time and never really recovered after it.

1998 a year which we should of done it. A Paul Flynn miss in the drawn Munster final game could of won it for us and we should of beat Kilkenny in the semi final

The system back then was cruel one chance and that's it if u dont take It that curtains

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭Mulbert

1998 a year which we should of done it. A Paul Flynn miss in the drawn Munster final game could of won it for us and we should of beat Kilkenny in the semi final

The system back then was cruel one chance and that's it if u dont take It that curtains

Should have, could have, didn't. Offaly would probably have beaten us in the final anyway. Great Offaly team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Cork could say the same last year after Harnedy miss/Quaid save. Other counties can do the same I’m sure. Move on!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement