Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭hynesie08

There was a lot of good, and some bad, but as an introduction to patman, it's very solid, of they have a second movie playing off the tease at the end, and pull it off, he may be the best batman ever.

Also

Let us bury you are El and never mention it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭gazzer

Just out of the cinema. Absolutely loved it.

Was The Riddler the journalists son btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Nope, I don't think so

The journalist was Elliot, the Riddler was Nashton. Even if we assume the Riddler was still using a fake name, the use of the name Elliot hints more towards the possibility of Hush than a connection to Riddler.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

It was alright. I felt it ended at a certain point and tacked on a more action set piece finale.

BATMAN just hangs around in his suit chilling with the cops a lot. Riddler goes from Zodiac killer to Jigsaw when it suits. It felt a bit disjointed and maybe a sequel will work on the elements that worked.

Be interesting if it will be embraces by the general population. Think 15A is fair rating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Deregos.

I enjoyed it, thought it was like the Sopranos - meets Seven -meets Batman.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just back from this earlier, went with my two kids. Eldest daughter is a massive Batman fan, and not a Twilight fan at all. Only big downside for me was the 3 hour run time.

But, I absolutely loved this film. Pattinson's Batman is better than Bale's, by far. His looks, motions and characteristics were in my opinion considerably better.

I loved the noir Gothic look to both Gotham and the film itself, which is always how I personally viewed the place to be, especially based off the comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,056 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They are estimating 128.5 million dollar weekend in USA so looks like it is being embraced...at least in its opening weekend!

No spoiler I literally cannot delete it!

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jo187

Yeah and the reviews are generally good. So it's a foundation to work on it and hopefully a step in the right direction.

Posted by mistake. Can’t delete.

• Advertisement

I just found this:

SPOILER WARNING

One other thing - the film reveals that the reporter investigating Martha Wayne’s history of mental illness had the last name Elliot. Is that just a coincidence, or another clue towards the debut of Hush? One intriguing possibility is that this reporter was Nashton’s father, and Tommy Elliot was his original name before he came to the orphanage. In this universe, Edward Nashton and Tommy Elliot may be one and the same.

https://www.ign.com/articles/the-batman-sequel-robert-pattinson-no-mans-land-hush

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

I don’t get what you saying about the voice. Sounded like he always does.

Don’t get how you found it tedious and comical

Why should anyone suspect Bruce Wayne is Batman? And I think Riddler does know.

Getting Falcone “into the light” was a part of the game to come at the end. He could also have exposed all the corruption surrounding Renewal very easily but he is mentally ill and wanted a game out of it

Did you or anyone not complain and have them correct it and restart the film from the beginning?

Yes the scene in the apartment where the tech guy is showing Batman and Gordon the computer. The files are encrypted or something but for a moment a video clip appears on the screen showing Batman. And then Batman thinking Riddler knows the secret.

This is why I thought Riddler knew who he is.

Plus when Batman visits him at Arkham the way he says “Bruce Wayne”.

Now that you mention it, I do remember that comment about “not getting him” but I must have missed the look of relief.

I totally got that Riddler thought he and Batman were in the same side and I thought targeting Bruce Wayne was just Riddler at his game.

I can see now thought that I was making it too convoluted because even though I missed the look it was still obvious Riddler didn’t know

Thanks for correcting me ;)

No. Riddler was orphan (I think Wayne Manor was the orphanage) and when he became an accountant (was it at the Renewal?) he simply noticed the misuse of the money.

When Catwoman looked at a Coulson and the others from the DA’s office the the lenses registered each man as affiliated to the SDGC

What is the SDGC?

Pattinson and Reeve have said that if the movie gets sequels they like to introduce Robin and have the Court of Owls, Mr Freeze and Calendar Man as villains.

I know the Court of Owls from the Son of Batman animated trilogy. Calendar Man is unknown to me.

I would certainly be interested is seeing how the handle Robin and how they use Mr Freeze in this version of Gotham.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

May I ask what about the job Jeffrey Wright did, that you found was great?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭micks_address

thought he was grand... wouldnt say he was any better or worse than gary oldman..

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sirsok

Sorry , thought I had this quoted. In was in reference to this

• Registered Users Posts: 45,142 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

The riddles were rubbish.

A rat with wings...... Lets guess EVERY FREAKING bird.... and not a Bat.

Batman just seemed to be where he needed to be rather than working things out.

Seems clear they are building towards Hush, mainly basing that on the giant writing of HUSH in the Riddler's slideshow about the Waynes and the reporter.

I like the cinematography, the score. thought Pattison's batman looked fantastic, loved the car... but so many elements of the writing and dialog let the movie down.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I saw this last night and have come away thinking it was a middling film. The script was IMO very clearly two scripts mashed together, and honestly I kind of wish they'd ditched half of it because the running time would've been shorter and the film better for it.

The visuals for the city were incoherent - there are some wider-scope establishing shots that don't really relate at all to the exerior shots for specific locations, so there's no real notion of the geography of Gotham that you can follow, just endless location shots of dingy-looking streets and buildings, and little or no visibility of how the elites are living (and therefore why they'd bother staying in a city that we keep being told is an absolute kip). Other Batman films also have this issue to some extent, but they kept my attention better and left me with less time to dwell on this aspect.

Overall the detective aspect of the story felt a bit... silly, but presented as though they were very serious. Which is a shame, as the core narrative is a solid if unexceptional backbone for a film.

In terms of specifics - the stuff about Moroni and Falconi should have been massively cut down, and limited to provide scope for "this is how corrupt Gotham is" in the context of the Renewal fund. The status of Batman needs to be established and maintained - he can't be a public enemy one minute, then welcomed into closed crime scenes five minutes later with no explanation other than "Jim Gordon says so". Ideally there would be some acknowledgement from Bruce Wayne that moping around in bad Crow cosplay for a decade rather than paying attention to the foundation set up by his father has directly contributed to the continued deterioration of Gotham. And the pace for the final act needs tightening up, because after Riddler is caught the story is about how Batman fails at his self-appointed job and this failure leads to enormous damage and probably numerous deaths. But the film, and the characters within it, seem blissfully unaware of this.

I think ultimately my issue with the film is that it's a very silly film that thinks it is smart and serious, and is at various times unintentionally a film about how Batman is an inherently ridiculous idea within a real-world context.

A very good bats. The best representation of Gotham City so far out of all the films. I liked the way it just started and no messing about with backstory etc.

Imax a must for the batmobile. Solid 3/5 overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Good for the most part, enjoyed it.

However, it was my first time watching a Batman movie thinking a vigilante in a mask & cape is ridiculous. This version is more real & less cartoony or comicy, but that just makes it stand out more. Similar to what Fysh was saying.

Theres also a possibility I’m getting too old for these :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Okay I'm going to try and break this down, some 24 hours after seeing the film. I understand not everyone loved this movie, but I'm finding some of the negative reviews a bit odd.

Visually: 10/10

As a representation of Gotham City, pretty much perfect and absolutely the best in a movie by far. Bar the first Nolan Film, I wasn't a fan of the portrayal of Gotham in those movies. Bruce's house, and even the interior decor looked perfect. The streets looked bleak and dangerous, the atmosphere and sense of desperation on the ground level was brilliantly shown. An excellent Gothic/Noir styling.

Pattinson in the costume looked brilliant. It was clearly bulky and armored, which I liked a lot. Let's be honest, he has the jawline for the part.

Plot: 7/10

It was nice to have a Batman movie that's skipping the origin, and rather dealing with a Batman who is still learning and making mistakes. I was very skeptical of having the Riddler as the main antagonist but it worked out nicely. Certainly less comical and light hearted. I do feel like the whole thing was a bit too long and the whole Falcone story could have been finished in a sequel.

The whole rat with wings thing was a bit frustrating, like painfully obvious stuff. I loved they just skipped all the origin stuff, and Jim getting to know him, because we all know it.

Characters: 8/10

Look, I think Pattinson nailed it as both Bruce Wayne and Batman. His Bruce is still broken, the playboy Bruce hasn't been needed. He's still selfish and entirely self-centered, as the ending scene shows it takes a few things to happen before he realizes he needs to do more. The movie literally sets up the playboy-esque character Bruce will become in public. As Batman he absolutely comes across as sinister and almost mysterious. His silence around the cops and others. Entire scenes go by with him only saying a few lines and it's such a great touch for how the character would be, and has been portrayed in the comics for decades.

I enjoyed Zoë Kravitz's Catwoman so much, it was great to see a level of backstory and life to the character. I did think it was odd to make Falcone her father, but it really affirms a lot more why she was so set on killing him.

Colin Farrell as Penguin, just brilliant. Like absolutely brilliant.

A small thing I noticed as well as the movie progressed, when Bruce and Selina are together it's the only time we really see him in any sunlight, aside from the funeral. The scenes he has with her are set right at dusk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,785 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I really enjoyed this, a few gripes (Bruce Wayne was a bit mopey for me) but the positives by far outweighed the negatives. I think I noticed a couple nods to prior versions of Batman: the Shakespeare bust in the apartment looked like the one they used in the tv show and did the sketch artist version of Batman on the notice board look like the one they had in the 1989 film?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭techdiver

Saw it this evening and loved it. The esthetic, story, characters, tone all worked for me. I don't like comparing it to previous incarnations because in my opinion they are all completely different takes on the character. I can love all without picking a pecking order.

Like some I'm bemused with the reaction here. It does seem any time I visit the boards movie section the mood here always seems to swing against the general concensus. Don't know why. It reminds me of this :

😂😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,850 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

This kind of nonsense from pretentious anoraks would sicken ya. So if you don't like the movie its the viewers fault. But if you do then you're a real fan. Get over yourself

Advertisement