Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Time to abandon this thread for a few weeks I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

• Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I'd maintain forever that the dark tone just fits Batman perfectly live action. You have to find the right tone for a respective character and this is it for Batman.

Not that I don't appreciate the likes of Lego Batman but it can't conceivably fit with the inherent nature of the character in live action, unless you're specifically targeting a younger audience. TAS probably came closest to striking a perfect balance but there's a lot of stuff at play there that just works to the advantage of the animation format. For example there's just no way Hamill and Conroy could replicate it in live action without it coming across as ham. Hamill could maybe do it but I think his work in CW Flash suggests how it would go, and you wouldn't sit through 2 plus hours of it. Ditto Conroy in his CW cameo.

Look at all the most successful runs of the character in the comics and they are grim, from A House On Serious Earth to JL stories such as Tower of Babel.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

For anyone interested, the Dublin Film Festival has added a special early screening on Monday February 28th (a couple of days before release) in Cineworld 17.

Likely going to sell out fast so worth getting tickets ASAP if interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Skipped straight to end here to avoid spoilers and clips.

was checking for showtimes and see that the movie is just shy of 3 hours.

nice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭paulieeye

3 hrs??? in my old age all I want is a sub 2hr film, 1hr 30 is ideal! 3 hrs is a slog...my attention span is gone to the dogs!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The defence made of lengths like these is that a film should be whatever length it requires to adequately tell its story ... which yeah, I get that. My scepticism though would be that modern blockbusters have pacing issues where the middle acts really grind the momentum to a halt; if The Batman avoids that issue the 3 hours should fly by; if it doesn't, then yeah the runtime becomes debatable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well, they sure got the dramatic whispering down; Batman punching Gordon, then running away, was unintentionally hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

There’s a real keystone cops vibe off that clip.

I just can’t figure this movie out. Or more specifically the tone. I think this is coloured by following its development since before Reeves joined. I hear talk of Year One, the Long Halloween, Seven etc etc and that just doesn’t marry with what I’m seeing at all. It seems to be stuck in this weird middle ground between hyper reality and grim. Gritty yet impervious to fire arms. A grim cityscape interspersed with what looks action from an old Looking Glass game.

And then you add in Colin Farrell’s Penguin via Jared Leto’s Paolo Gucci. if you don’t want to go full on quack, quack fair enough, but wtf is up with that decision.

Like a double album the run time alarms me as well. No movie that isn’t an adaptation and is an original story should be over three hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

I don't care how long something is, as long as the story engages you.

As for The Penguin, they've already said he's a gangster and Penguin is his nickname. This isn't Batman returns. This is like the Arkham games in regards characters, where Penguin is just a fat arse runt of a gangster. He ain't hanging in the sewers with real penguins...

• Advertisement

Batman soundtracks have been known to be standouts among superhero films; so with that in mind, the entire soundtrack for this is already available on all the major steaming services:

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Soundtrack is fantastic.

Also the early buzz from critics seems to be that this is a quality film.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

No... I mustn't!

Not even for Giacchino!

Maybe especially not for a Giacchino soundtrack!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Really what a crap title. I am sorry but I could not go and watch a film called "The Batman" . That is just lame. Besides it looks crap anyway. Hopefully it flops.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, with a title like that, you have no idea what the film is even about, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,589 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes I do that's why I think it's lame. There have been what 20 Batman films now and each one had a better title.

Maybe the are right keep it simple sure.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

The 3 hour runtime is very off putting.

I might have to wait for this to come out on VOD as my locals last showing will be 7.30pm which is unsuitable for me.

They got rid of the 11pm showings a few years back.

Will be hard to avoid spoilers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Matt Reeves was saying there's a cool deleted scene in this movie which features Barry Keoghan along with Batman and The Riddler in Arkham.

Please take note of spoilers in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,924 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

• Advertisement

Honestly, it took a couple of listens through headphones to understand the conversation; so it was functionally silent 'til I figured out the interaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

So the reviews are out.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Be careful some reviews are full of spoilers.

All in all this films seem to be a cracker by the reviews I have looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Don't look too bad.

4 stars in empire.

Variety and THR seem pretty positive

3 stars in the guardian (but Peter Bradshaw's scores are always all over the shop tbh)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

oh fek!, i just discovered Colin Farrell is in it😕

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

Spare ticket for the imax premier of this in cineworld Dublin at 7pm tonight going for face value if anyone interested??

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭junglecliff

• Registered Users Posts: 31,857 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

He looks pretty unrecognisable in trailer. I find him extremely hit and miss. He is not in it much seemingly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,287 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yeah the bould ballykissangel boyo is the penguin in it

Some people were saying it was an odd choice to cast him because of how unrecognisable he is made up in it.

Advertisement