Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Batman (Matt Reeves) ***spoilers from post 1030***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭MOR316

Depends...

If you're a Batman fan, then you'll like it.

If you're a casual Batman fan, you probably won't like it

Case in point, people complaining about it being too dark, too noir and too miserable. Erm yes, it's supposed to be. It's Batman, it's Gotham. That's what they are! DC comics stands for "Detective Comics!" Even the animated series was dark and miserable, except for Mark Hamill :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I also wondered about the

shot he took to get the energy boost. I did consider both adrenaline and the stuff Bane uses (I can't remember a name).

As it was a kind of green colour and I'm not sure what adrenaline looks like.. but I don't think it's green..

Then at a guess.. it could be a Wayne/Batman Tech that someone later gets a hold of and eventually it gets messed with

and.. Boom!.. ends up in Bane.. big reveal in some story later (or maybe not even a reveal).. that Bane came about because of Batman

which feels like a proper Batman Theme.. I think in other stories, it's not completely unknown that some villians backstorys are created simply from Batman existing

On the other hand.. it's all a guess 😁Who knows.. it could be a league of shadows juice that's easy enough to come by on the black market

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Useless Lump

Fantastic movie.

I really wish I hadn’t known Farrell was Penguin. It would have had me totally perplexed at the credits.

The fight scenes were great and I liked that he wasn’t just an unstoppable force - a few thugs managed to get some digs in and even know I him down. And I liked that the Batcave Was a repurposed subway station and the gadgets and vehicles were less fantastical (I’m a big fan of fantastical but this made a nice change).

My only criticism is that there wasn’t enough Alfred (which is a criticism I have of every Batman movie) but here in particular he should have had more screen time. However what was there was gold. I don’t think he was butler in this.

Barry Keoghan appearing in the credits surprised me and I racked my brains but couldn’t remember him showing up and his position in the credits suggested it was a major part. I haven’t googled it yet but I definitely didn’t see him so all I can think is that he is the Joker. If that is so then he is a better actor than I gave him credit for as I couldn’t figure out who was playing Joker.

During the even between Batman and Riddler is was obvious to me that Riddler was letting Batman know that he knows he is Bruce Wayne. After the scene with Joker and that they will be “friends” I started to doubt it because if Riddler told Joker the secret then …

I really hope we get more.

the cinematography was fantastic and Gotham City just looked great.

It has Noir feel to it. I would like to see Reeve try his hand at Philip Marlowe or even an original gumshoe story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

I thought it was only alright, I loved the cinematography, the casting and the score but the action scenes were a bit meh aside from the car chase. It was also just too long and drawn out and some of the riddles were daft like the url one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

Seen it today on imax Blanchardstown. It's good but I still prefer the dark knight trilogy. Especially the first two

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ReturnOfThe

Absolutely epic movie. Pattinson and Kravitz had a beautiful chemistry together. Soundtrack wore big boots, was anthemic and loud and all the more brilliant for it. Hairs rose on my arm when the Batmobile roared up for the first time just before the chase. Saw it with my daughter who is a big Marvel fan and even she was blown away by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Absolutely miles ahead of anything DC related since The Dark Knight. There is a bit of fatigue with Batman at this stage and it's hard to keep it original and fresh but this did a very good job (although at times it did remind me a lot of the first two Nolan films, which isn't a bad thing)

Direction, cinematography, lighting, costumes, soundtrack, performances were allsuperb. Story was for the most part very well done too.

I thought Pattison was a very good Batman + Bruce Wayne,great supporting cast too.

I'd love to see an 18s version some day

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Very good movie. Far better than recent DC muck.

Does it ever not rain in Gotham?

Loved the music for it. Set the tone right.

Does it beat 'The Dark Knight'? No. It does not. But it's still a very good decent Batman film.

I thought Pattinson would be a terrible choice for Batman. Probably because of the Twilight films. Glad I was wrong. He fit the role very well.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I really love Batman but I thought it was a very very poor movie.

It was poorly acted throughout. Commissioner Gordon was horrendously bad. The performance felt parody at times.

Penguin and Riddler were done well though while the rest of the cast failed to land atall with me.

Pattinson just does not fit the role, Catwomens portrayal and their chemistry was atrocious.

They could of leaned into the horror aspect of it and it may have been more interesting, the dark and gritty people are speaking of was just not really existent, it was a slog and a half.

Shame for me as I was really hoping to be blown away by it, but it felt like a bad TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭cheezums

average. catwoman was stupid, felt completely out of place in the film. very few films can pull off three hours in the cinema without getting extremely tedious, and this isn't one of them. the riddler was just annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw it tonight and I thought it started off really well but then it seemed to run out of steam. By the end I had checked out completely, doesn't justify its 3 hour run time. It looks amazing, the rain, the blade runner-esque atmosphere......brilliant. soundtrack was really good and the acting all round was solid. But the story was just plain and simply weak, I lost interest completely. Not a bad movie by any stretch just not terribly interesting either.

People and our opinions are very strange.

when I post here or talk about a movie I have seen and see the what other are saying and thinking about a film I always just or nod and don’t think of people as “right or wrong”.

however the last few posts have me scratching my head and trying to figure out how folks are so “wrong” and wondering if “they saw the same movie that I did”.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Sirsok

I was the same but I would imagine coming from the opposite end.

I am stunned as to the positive reviews it has gotten, there were times when I genuinely laughed at parts during the film, particularly Jim Gordon and the ridiculous voice Jeffrey Wright decided to go with. It felt like a character from a sketch show playing Jim Gordon and taking the piss. A few officers had that husky voice during the movie.

It wasn't dark and gritty it was tedious, boring and in parts unintentionally comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Ha fully agree.

He kept doing that whisper talking and it was cracking me up. His reaction to certain things in the film was comical, and not in a good way.

I thought that Pattinson was a good Batman, but this was absolutely not a good Batman film. It didn't need to be that long either, could have shaved a full half hour off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Really looking forward to this. I don't know why, but presumed it was going to be some flop. But got very positive reviews on the main review sites.

3 hours is long though. Buttcheeks will twitching.

The last 2 Chris Nolan Batman films were really good - The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. If it is nearly as good as those, I'll be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Batman Begins is a great film too, its very underatted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah the dark knight was a step up from begins but I felt rises was a step down.. hard to compare these versions..is say at least The batman is a solid start. It's the next one you'd have to compare to the dark knight.. not easy to completely reboot a franchise..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If I remember, Nolan had no interest in Rises and basically had to be begged / bribed by Warners to come back and do a third. IIRC Noland had no story ready, no thoughts on where things went after the end of The Dark Knight. Certainly the story was the most nonsensical and half àssed of the 3 films in the series.

Seeing this film tomorrow myself and it's odd; I do genuinely go into films with an open mind, but this has been the hardest to distance myself from. It's clearly striking a definitive tone I don't immediately want to watch but ... We'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,364 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Batman Begins is superb, it probably wasn't till I saw it the second time I appreciated how good it is. I was pretty disappointed by The Dark Knight Rises though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,534 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Its a film that gets better on repeat watchings.

I constantly find myself watching it whenever its on tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,854 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Saw it today.

Overall it was fine and I enjoyed it...but dear lord it was long. Pattinson was fine...but his goth haircut really annoyed me. It did it's best with twists and turns but they were all a bit obvious. The darkness didn't bother me tbh.

Farrell was surprisingly good, Kravitz was decent too.

How can no one even the riddler not realise batman is Bruce Wayne...I know I know it's a comic book adaptation bla bla.

I am not big into Barry keoghan but I can see him being a very good joker...

Also is batman broke?..did he ever meet with his accountants?!? The renewal fund doesn't look to have been well spent...

The nirvana song was overused and a bit too on the nose I thought.

Also...stupid question...the riddler needed batman to get falcone "into the light" so to speak....but falcone had left for that funeral so could he not have got him then?!

I read the long Halloween a long time back but it felt like this film "borrowed" a lot from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Paul Dano steals the film for me Jeffrey Wright did a great job too. Pattinson was great as Batman not so much as Bruce Wayne.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,149 ✭✭✭AidoEirE

To be fair, does it best the Dark Knight (to me its 50/50) probably not to others, but that was the second film in Nolans universe. Compare it to Nolans first batman movie and ask the same question. Does it beat that?

Bloody well hands down it does.

I'm hoping Reeves and the cast get to do a sequel because this set the tone for something that can eclipse Nolans Dark Knight.

Can't do it at the funeral as it was all a game to him and Colsen was his next victim. *

*Not a spoiler as it was in the trailer

Watch the interrogation scene and the scene before it in the apartment.

Bruce thinks he knows, he says goodbye to Gordan the way he does. In Arkham, you can see in his eyes that he thinks the game is up as he keeps looking at the recording cameras. But when Riddler says "we didn't get him" You can see the relief in Bruce's eyes. Riddler thought him and Batman were the same and were on the same team, on the same mission.

Kinds surprised people didn't get that aspect

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought it was fantastic and a lot better than the recent films in the MCU. DC doing something like this with Batman when the MCU spend their time getting more outlandish is a good move for them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Just saw this in the Maxx screen in Mahon in Cork, the picture quality was atrocious. No definition and very blurry throughout. Very disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Just back from it. Loved it. Will go again next weekend.

• Advertisement

I loved it.

For me this was the first “Batman” film.

By that I mean, the other films have all seemed to be “Bruce Wayne deals with being Batman”, whereas this is “Batman deals with being Bruce Wayne (albeit not well at all!)”

I would love to see a comparison as to how much screen time Bruce/Batman got in this film compared to the others. AFAIR there was the funeral scene and going to the club as Wayne, apart from that it was all Bats.

I would go further, but I can’t be a*sed with putting spoilers in on mobile!

(I though the Alfred character was awful, completely unnecessary and played badly. Maybe Serkis just didn’t have enough to chew on with his meagre screentime)

Advertisement