Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Miles fuel (Topaz/Circle K)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

VW recommend that you use 98RON in the Golf R so I'd be interested in trying this if it actually is 98RON. Guys in the uk claim mpg is better and the car is more responsive on the dearer stuff. Apparently the ECU defects lower quality fuel and holds back some power as a consequence so I'd be curious to find out for myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Considering people will pay €20k to save €200 a year in motor tax I can't see any market for "expensive" premium fuel.
    9 years into the new tax system I can't believe this argument is still being wheeled out.

This is water. Inspiring speech by David Foster Wallace https://youtu.be/DCbGM4mqEVw?si=GS5uDvegp6Er1EOG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

NO.. Bog standard for me
    hoodie6029 wrote: »
    9 years into the new tax system I can't believe this argument is still being wheeled out.

People are still doing it, buying the daysul instead of the petrol for the chape tax. First question I'm asked when I say I've a petrol car is "how much is de tax on her?" Followed shortly by a sigh when I say it's €390.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Atari Jaguar
    pajor wrote: »
    I would think 98 RON is better for motorbikes though..?

I would expect it to be noticeable.

Back in the old days when the choice was 4 star or Unleaded when I put 4 star in the bike you could feel the power increase immediately.

(high performance Kawasaki in-line 4 cylinder 16V) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Would they ever bring in premium agri diesel, wouldn't mind trying it out on the International!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

NO.. Bog standard for me
    My car would only love some 98ron, eagerly awaiting this, the bottles of octane booster are a pain in the hole.

Almost all of the modern cars employ a knock sensor and will retard the ignition if serious pinking occurs. If I was driving a TSi/GTi with many red letters, 1.0 Ecoboost 125 PS etc. it would most certain at least try the higher octane stuff.

In my own car (SAAB) the low pressure boosted models are designed for E95 and an Aero or 2.0T for E98. The manual says that E95 can also be used but may result in reduced performance and fuel economy under certain driving conditions. Looking at it ignition mapping in the ECU the higher boost models are definitely more aggressively tuned to take advantage of fuel with higher octane rating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I've a diesel, and I add a cetane improver at every fill up.

If they offer 60 cetane Diesel, I will try it, at least I'll know what cetane level I'm using instead of adding 2ehn to add a few points to the fuel, as I currently do.

It'll all depend on the price.

If it's just regular diesel with some pixie dust with the same cetane, I'll continue with regular diesel and my additive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

What a load of smack. That's not premium fuel at all! Just a marketing gimmick.:rolleyes:

If they get actual premium fuel I might by it.

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    What a load of smack. That's not premium fuel at all! Just a marketing gimmick.:rolleyes:

If they get actual premium fuel I might by it.

What bit is smack ?

pa990 wrote: »
    What bit is smack ?

It's just standard 95 with some other **** thrown in. If it was actually 98 or 102 it would be worth a premium.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    It's just standard 95 with some other **** thrown in. If it was actually 98 or 102 it would be worth a premium.

Did you read the same thread I just did.

Miles plus has 98 ron across Europe.
    Miles has 95 ron

All depends on what we are offered.
    Is the 98ron smack ?

Also smack is added to diesel to raise its cetane value to make it a premium fuel.
    That particular smack is called 2-ehn.

jimgoose wrote: »
    Bullshit. It's 95 RON just like the usual stuff. "By adding multi-functional additives, that decrease friction and cleans your engine, our fuel miles will take you further on every liter." - this is a gouging exercise.

This bit

NO.. Bog standard for me
    This bit

I think you're being selective in what you're reading.

The op is talking about the eventual introduction of premium petrol and diesel.
    Petrol with 98ron, and diesel with 55 or 60 cetane. Compared with the current 95ron / 51 cetane.

Standard fuel, will be standard fuel, but hopefully there will be again the option of premium /super fuel.

I have noticed in cork that topaz on the lower glanmire road, had it's tanks and pumps replaced.

The pumps each have 4 fuel nossels. Presumably for the introduction of premium fuels. This is a company operated site, conversely, topaz on victoria road. Cork, recently changed its pumps, going from 3 nossels per pump to 2.
    And that is a dealer owned and operated station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭millington

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Cheensbo wrote: »
    My car would only love some 98ron, eagerly awaiting this, the bottles of octane booster are a pain in the hole.

x2 I'm not fussed about the diesel but I'd likea better petrol option.

I've seen the effects of Irish petrol on performance cars and it's very noticable. From increased knock to downright not running correctly.

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    millington wrote: »
    x2 I'm not fussed about the diesel but I'd likea better petrol option.

I've seen the effects of Irish petrol on performance cars and it's very noticable. From increased knock to downright not running correctly.

To be fair we don't have it that bad, my car has a large following in NZ and Russia, and from reading info from owners in these countries they have awful problems due to fuel quality, lots of cases of detonation & general poor running. Some of them have reported mid 80s octane levels in fuel...

Actual 98 would be sweet though as I could dial in a little more boost without worrying about blowing the ringlands to shít.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Can't wait to pour somma this into my Hilux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I posted back at the start saying that it'll cost circa 11¢ extra per litre for the super dupper stuff.

I created this thread in relation to the milesplus fuels, not the regular miles fuels, which are pretty much what has been on offer the whole time.

NO.. Bog standard for me

milesPlus diesel is 60cetane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Did you read the same thread I just did.

Miles plus has 98 ron across Europe.
    Miles has 95 ron

All depends on what we are offered.
    Is the 98ron smack ?

Also smack is added to diesel to raise its cetane value to make it a premium fuel.
    That particular smack is called 2-ehn.

They said in the article/blurb they are offering 95.
    There's no way to know if they are ever going to introduce 98 into paddyland

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    They said in the article/blurb they are offering 95.
    There's no way to know if they are ever going to introduce 98 into paddyland

98 is in the pipeline, according to info coming from people in TOPAZ

NO.. Bog standard for me
    mikeecho wrote: »
    98 is in the pipeline, according to info coming from people in TOPAZ

That would be pretty cool if to comes to pass. Sure higher octane, it's more expensive, but my limited experience it gives more MPG so it's still a cost but not all gone out the exhaust pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,384 ✭✭✭pred racer

I've a diesel, and I add a cetane improver at every fill up.

If they offer 60 cetane Diesel, I will try it, at least I'll know what cetane level I'm using instead of adding 2ehn to add a few points to the fuel, as I currently do.

It'll all depend on the price.

If it's just regular diesel with some pixie dust with the same cetane, I'll continue with regular diesel and my additive.

I'm curious, what additive do you use and what benefit do you get from it?

NO.. Bog standard for me
    pred racer wrote: »
    I'm curious, what additive do you use and what benefit do you get from it?

I use "2 ethylhexyl nitrate" (2-ehn)

Engine runs quieter and smother. I've read studies that show higher cetane fuels provide better power delivery and increased mpg.

I do notice a difference when I fill up and not use it.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I've tried the "Miles " fuel and find it gives slightly better running and increased power.
    Range is definitely increased too, probably a lot more than 3%.

Any more news on when "Miles Plus" is coming?

NO.. Bog standard for me

Topaz are quite good replying on social media to questions, But if you ask about the plus fuels you won't hear a word from them... not even a denial or a wishy washy standard response.

This i can confirm. I asked an unrelated question and got an almost immediate response, then asked about 98 fuel, and specifically miles plus - and the line went cold.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I think that aren't going to mention anything about 98ron untill after the full rollout of regular miles and the new branding, Then start a whole new advertising campaign about how they are the only supplier of super plus fuels.

Btw, the super fuels won't be available in every station, just the ones that have 4 holding tanks.

Great info, cheers!

I just hope its actually going to be 98, and that it's going to be sold somewhere near me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Great info, cheers!

I just hope its actually going to be 98, and that it's going to be sold somewhere near me :)

Here Here!

Is it sad I'm genuinely a little excited about the potential for proper fuel choice here once again? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

NO.. Bog standard for me
    dar83 wrote: »
    Here Here!

Is it sad I'm genuinely a little excited about the potential for proper fuel choice here once again? :D

Payday would definitely see the V8 collection getting some premium fuels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What's the general opinion on octane booster additives?

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Esel wrote: »
    What's the general opinion on octane booster additives?
    The existing miles fuel is better than any octane booster I've tried.
    What have I tried? A few of these small bottles you can buy in halfords.
    I know it's not billed as an octane booster but Dipetaine is good too, adds a fair bit of urgency apart from it's cleaning properties.
    Unfortunately (or fortunately?) I'll probably have sold the car by the time high octane fuel returns to Ireland!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I've read through this thread and to be honest I'm still confused.

Can anyone confirm whether there is any 98 RON fuel on sale at Topaz yet? I'm bringing my car back to Ireland next week for about a fortnight and it is supposed to use 98 RON so although it will run fine on 95 RON, I'd prefer to use 98 RON if it's available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I've read through this thread and to be honest I'm still confused.

Can anyone confirm whether there is any 98 RON fuel on sale at Topaz yet? I'm bringing my car back to Ireland next week for about a fortnight and it is supposed to use 98 RON so although it will run fine on 95 RON, I'd prefer to use 98 RON if it's available.

No RON 98 anywhere in the Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭HJL

Del2005 wrote: »

Super Unleaded here, Maxol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Del2005 wrote: »

Thanks, that's disappointing, it's not 'premium' fuel unless it's Super Unleaded really. I would happily pay the extra 11 cent a litre for higher octane stuff but feck paying another €7 for a tank it if it's just the same octane as regular fuel is.

I think from the earlier posts in this thread that they will be bringing out proper higher octane fuel eventually though?

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Bad news.

milesPlus will only be 95 , (with extra lubrizol)

It won't be a 98ron fuel

Expect a public announcement in a few weeks, it'll begin rolling out in August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Well that's just a tad more than disappointing...

What a load of b0ll0x. Yet again another reason to hate Marketing people. :P

Edit: Also good luck to them justifying any extra cost to the consumer on that one! ha. Talk about setting yourself up to fail.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Hi Cheensbo, thank you for your message and i'm very sorry you haven't received a response until now. Miles PLUS will be visible on sites during August and continue rolling out until next year. For petrol it will based on an 95 octane (unleaded 95) with a higher concentration of our next generation fuel additive. The performance results of this new unleaded fuel are currently being evaluated & we are excited about the prospect of launching this new fuel that will provide more power & acceleration for both petrol & diesel customers. This will be the only premium fuel available in the ROI. We will release more details about this over the coming weeks…

So its only 95... :(

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Hi Cheensbo, thank you for your message and i'm very sorry you haven't received a response until now. Miles PLUS will be visible on sites during August and continue rolling out until next year. For petrol it will based on an 95 octane (unleaded 95) with a higher concentration of our next generation fuel additive. The performance results of this new unleaded fuel are currently being evaluated & we are excited about the prospect of launching this new fuel that will provide more power & acceleration for both petrol & diesel customers. This will be the only premium fuel available in the ROI. We will release more details about this over the coming weeks…

So its only 95... :(

Well, that's it in a nutshell, pretty much what I was told.
    Bit disappointing.

The diesel plus, will have a few extra points of cetane, if I'm to believe what I'm being told.

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Well, that's it in a nutshell, pretty much what I was told.
    Bit disappointing.

The diesel plus, will have a few extra points of cetane, if I'm to believe what I'm being told.

Its disappointing because feck knows what this mix is? Could be a drop of dipetane for all i know...

Looks like I will have to continue on with the shot bottles of octane booster so.

My friends in the uk think its gas that we dont have premium fuel here..

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Its disappointing because feck knows what this mix is? Could be a drop of dipetane for all i know...

Looks like I will have to continue on with the shot bottles of octane booster so.

Its lubrizol, that's the secret ingredient

"Next generation fuel additive" :rolleyes:

NO.. Bog standard for me
    cisk wrote: »
    "Next generation fuel additive" :rolleyes:

Keropur was becoming so last gen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Premium fuel drives youngfellas shtone mad altogether. Completely disorientated they are forced to perform donuts until the effects wear off.

"We were driving south on the motorway towards Limerick when we noticed, on a parallel road, a bunch of youths with a couple of cars doing donuts.
    In other words, they were using their handbrakes to make the car revolve, leaving a figure-of-eight in tyre tread on the road. They sure were smoking those tyres.
    Innocent fun on a bright summer evening?

It's true, I read it in the Indo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

NO.. Bog standard for me
    'milesPLUS from Topaz has arrived!
    Following on from our very successful miles fuel launch across Ireland we are delighted to inform you that in addition to our existing miles fuel we will launch our new premium fuel, milesPLUS in 11 pilot sites over the coming weeks.

milesPLUS is our new premium fuel that contains an even higher concentration of additives which delivers even more benefits and better performance for your engine than miles.

Over the last number of years our fuel experts have worked with an industry leading additive supplier to develop a powerful in-fuel additive, proven to provide customers with more power & acceleration, for a superior driving experience.

What are the benefits of milesPLUS ?
    • MORE POWER & ACCELERATION
    • CLEANS ENGINE LIKE NEW
    • REDUCES ENGINE DEPOSIT BUILD UP
    Our Diesel Additives
    • milesPLUS diesel has a higher concentration of cetane & deposit control additives. This new & improved package of additives prevents the build-up of deposits & optimises combustion. milesPLUS diesel boosts cold start performance and reduces knock & noise in diesel engines. Our innovative chemistry is designed to deal with old & new generation diesel engines. Regular use of milesPLUS diesel restores, maintains and improves engine power.

Our Petrol Additives
    • milesPLUS petrol has a higher concentration of friction modifiers & deposit control additives. This new & improved package of additives keep intake valves clean & clear, resulting in better engine performance. This leads to power & torque maintenance & prevents fuel injector deposits building up in engines. Regular use of milesPLUS petrol restores, maintains and improves engine power and acceleration.
    For both diesel & petrol customers, milesPLUS continues to deliver all of the benefits of miles. So as well as providing more power & acceleration, milesPLUS customers can also improve their fuel economy by up to 3%.

milesPLUS Fuel Tests
    The changes in engine power, torque, fuel consumption & emissions have been verified by BOSMAL Automotive Research & Development Institute. Both milesPLUS & miles fuels were compared to EU standard fuels not containing additives. Both milesPLUS & miles fuels have been tested in accordance with strictly defined methods and procedures as NEDC (New European Driving Cycle) & WLTC (Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Cycles).

AA Quality Approved
    Both milesPLUS & miles fuels are further Quality Approved by AA Ireland, giving you added reassurance. The AA Quality Assurance is a standard that enables us to constantly check the levels of service & the quality of our products against the highest standards in the marketplace.

The price you will be charged for milesPLUS will be advised to you in your normal weekly price notification and will be identified separately on your invoice.

The 11 sites where milesPLUS will be available immediately are listed below
    • Brennanstown
    • Ballyboden
    • Mulhuddart
    • Dalkey
    • Westview
    • Junction 5 M9
    • Castlecomer Road
    • Waterford Road
    • Tivoli
    • Eastgate
    • Bohermore'

Recieved this email this afternoon, no mention of octane level though

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    It's still just 95 unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Hasn't topaz always said it improves up to 3% fuel economy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

honda boi wrote: »
    Hasn't topaz always said it improves up to 3% fuel economy?
    Thats their claim and probably justifies their higher prices :(

NO.. Bog standard for me
    9 to 11c more per litre apparently.
    Will be interesting to see how more expensive it will be... and how long before it's withdrawn due to lack of interest.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    how long before it's withdrawn due to lack of interest.

A lot quicker than if it was 98 / super id say, sickening that we are one of very few countries that dont have access to it.

I'd travel & pay for super - but i doubt i will pay 11c extra for the same octane fuel with some sort of dipetane in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement