Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Miles fuel (Topaz/Circle K)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I can't see any reason to pay extra for miles plus unless it's 98 RON. For the sake of 7 cent a litre I'd pay it, 98 RON costs more than that in the UK.

Especially with modern turbocharged petrol engines, they do run best on 98 RON so I think there is a market for it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Cheap could end up being kerosene in disguise! And that won't be cheap to fix

I got diesel for 1.13 recently but the garage is long standing and full of taxi drivers so should be OK.

Taxi drivers don't buy quality they buy the cheapest, look at the majority of their tyres. So the only place I go full of taxis is a rank and I'll skip the heaps for a decent looking motor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭mikeecho

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Riva10 wrote: »
    Even without proof the PR men win again.
    And Doubting Thomas will remain unconvinced :D

I'll be buying diesel, it's 60 cetane, I currently use additives to bring regular diesel up in cetane numbers.
    So it'll save me the trouble of using additives.
    Also, if there is a demand for better fuels, maybe other companies will come on board and offer better fuel, and maybe, just maybe if people are willing to pay for better fuel, someone will come along and say, our super fuel is 98 ron, ... better than that circle k 95ron stuff.

(I use Diesel day to day, petrol at weekends, and id love some 98, )

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

Full tank of Plus petrol....feel no difference, I will put another tank in next week and make a judgement. I think any perceived difference would be placebo if at all.

Fool me once, shame on you
    Fool me twice, shame on me
    :):)

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Riva10 wrote: »
    Fool me once, shame on you
    Fool me twice, shame on me
    :):)

My doc put me on antibiotics.. i took one. felt no different.. shame on me.

Let's go back to 91ron.. your car will run on it.
    Not as well as 95ron, but it'll run.
    Now imagine that your car will run better on 98, .. but 91 is cheaper .
    Yeah, you'll put 91 in cos it's cheaper.

Some people don't mind spending a little more for something better.

Your modern diesel is designed to run on a minimum 51 cetane,, yeah sure it'll run on 45cetane (green diesel), but it'll run a lot smoother on 60cetane.

But.. Let's just use the cheapest fuel available, then bitch and moan come nct time, and ask if half a bottle of Dipetane and some wing wang tyres will get me through the test.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

NO.. Bog standard for me
    So, does anybody know or have something "official" saying what the octane and cetane levels are? If the diesel has a higher cetane rating, I'll be buying it.

I ran a light commercial vehicle for a month while road tripping to the Bavarian Alps on either Shell V-Power Diesel or BP Ultimate Diesel and it had noticeable more power when compared to the Irish Diesel it was on at the start of the road trip. It was really noticeable up hills and when overtaking. I made sure that the tank was full getting the ferry home..........

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mikeecho wrote: »
    But.. Let's just use the cheapest fuel available, then bitch and moan come nct time, and ask if half a bottle of Dipetane and some wing wang tyres will get me through the test.

The problem is that 99% of the people in this country do that, they bought diesel cars for the cheap motor tax while having completely unsuitable usage and most likely spend several thousand Euro to avail of this cheap tax.

So where is the market for 98ron petrol and 60 cetane diesel when the majority of people only look at the price and don't care about anything else, why else are the no name diesel shops selling acid still going. The few people who will use it are too widely spread to make it viable to sell because if a forecourt could make a few extra cent on fuel they'd be selling it.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    ianobrien wrote: »
    So, does anybody know or have something "official" saying what the octane and cetane levels are? If the diesel has a higher cetane rating, I'll be buying it.

Here's the specs of milesplus diesel in Sweden.

If you look at the specs across Europe, miles diesel is 51, and the plus is 60

http://m.circlek.se/cs/Satellite?blobcol=urldata&blobheadername1=Content-Disposition&blobheadername2=Content-Type&blobheadervalue1=attachment%3B+filename%3D%22Product+Bl+milesPLUS+diesel%2C0.pdf%22&blobheadervalue2=application%2Fpdf&blobkey=id&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobwhere=1335507899680&ssbinary=true

Its the same for Poland, Denmark etc. Regular 51cetane, plus 60cetane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

NO.. Bog standard for me
    The RON number is 95 for miles plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Atari Jaguar
    I can't see any reason to pay extra for miles plus unless it's 98 RON. For the sake of 7 cent a litre I'd pay it, 98 RON costs more than that in the UK.

Especially with modern turbocharged petrol engines, they do run best on 98 RON so I think there is a market for it there.

Costs even more here in NL. Closest station to me that has 98 RON charges 167.9 atm. Regular 95 is 152.9

I keep wanting to fill the Golf with 98 but can't justify that sort of price difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

NO.. Bog standard for me
    And we give out about 95ron imagine we had no legislation

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

NO.. Bog standard for me
    And we give out about 95ron imagine we had no legislation

My doc put me on antibiotics.. i took one. felt no different.. shame on me.

Keep taking the tablets. No doubt your doctor knows best. :D

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Sigh... just saw the spec sheets, and the diesel plus will still only be rated as min51 cetane.

But then again, all the spec sheets just state the min required , and claim that they meet or exceed.

https://circlek.chemicontrol.dk/Download/DataSheet/-3968999991
    https://circlek.chemicontrol.dk/Download/DataSheet/-3968999994

But still topaz say that it has increased cetane number.

.. Probably 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Madnash

I'm using it for the last month, haven't noticed any difference in my car. Don't know why ppl are moaning about the price of it it's only 11cent more per litre. Wow a whopping 7.70 euro per fill more. It costs what it costs. If petrol car owners want more octane then add octane booster when you fill up.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Madnash wrote: »
    I'm using it for the last month, haven't noticed any difference in my car. Don't know why ppl are moaning about the price of it it's only 11cent more per litre. Wow a whopping 7.70 euro per fill more. It costs what it costs. If petrol car owners want more octane then add octane booster when you fill up.

11c more... in cork it's only 7c more per litre.

And I have noticed that the engine (diesel) is quieter with the plus fuel, than regular diesel.

But if I add my 2-ehn to regular diesel, it seems to have the same effect.

As for the cleaning properties of the fuel... I don't know.

Interesting to hear you found your engine quieter, mine still sounds like a tractor. But that I don't care to much about nor the fuel saving, it's the effect it has on injectors and hpfp I'm more interested in. This is the heart of the system so if the miles diesel is better for it I'll keep buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

The problems Im finding is getting my hands on it, the local one has it but after that its pot luck.

Doesn't help with re-branding and new signage about 3% etc, then you go in and its not the plus fuel

Yes your correct, not all topaz stations have it. I'm lucky enough I pass by two stations a week that have it. I asked the staff about it and was told that appox 30% of ppl buy the premium fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

I'm on my 3rd tank of it (diesel plus) and engine is noticeably quieter and smoother acceleration. Definelty worth the extra just to try.

Interesting... I'm on the second tank and can't say I have noticed any changes yet. I will continue to buy it regardless. I would like to see more stations with premium fuels, not just topaz.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Madnash wrote: »
    Interesting... I'm on the second tank and can't say I have noticed any changes yet. I will continue to buy it regardless. I would like to see more stations with premium fuels, not just topaz.

I think most of us would love to see more stations with premium fuels, but actual properly premium fuels, not the same Octane supplemented with 'additives'.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    jeffk wrote: »
    The problems Im finding is getting my hands on it, the local one has it but after that its pot luck.

Doesn't help with re-branding and new signage about 3% etc, then you go in and its not the plus fuel

The stations with the plus fuel will have 4 prices on the monolith.
    You'll know if they have it, before you even pull into the station.

3266330949_1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭dsaint1

You can see where the topaz stations with miles plus are here.....select options below map

https://www.topaz.ie/General/site-locator.aspx

The stations with the plus fuel will have 4 prices on the monolith.
    You'll know if they have it, before you when pull into the station.

3266330949_1.jpg

That's all well and good when you either pre know or can see the monolith.

If you can't it's a risky game of will I won't I go in and before you know it you've a rear end smash.

The other morning I said I'll go to the branch on the Dublin side of dunsaughlin, literally on top of it before you know if they have it

I think only the garages with plus should have been rebranded,then do them as they get plus pumps installed

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

jeffk wrote: »
    That's all well and good when you either pre know or can see the monolith.

If you can't it's a risky game of will I won't I go in and before you know it you've a rear end smash.

The other morning I said I'll go to the branch on the Dublin side of dunsaughlin, literally on top of it before you know if they have it

I think only the garages with plus should have been rebranded,then do them as they get plus pumps installed
    Look here ...

https://www.topaz.ie/service-station/Site-Locator.aspx

... and select Miles Plus in the filters at the bottom. There's only 11 outlets in the whole country if that's to be believed.

Alun wrote: »
    Look here ...

[url][/url]

... and select Miles Plus in the filters at the bottom. There's only 11 outlets in the whole country if that's to be believed.

Not one in Meath :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭dil999

Sounds like snake oil.

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    dil999 wrote: »
    Sounds like snake oil.

No... smells like diesel

Advertisement