Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Miles fuel (Topaz/Circle K)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭mikeecho

NO.. Bog standard for me
    jeffk wrote: »
    Not one in Meath :eek:

From post # 1
    Kevin! wrote: »
    'milesPLUS from Topaz has arrived!
    Following on from our very successful miles fuel launch across Ireland we are delighted to inform you that in addition to our existing miles fuel we will launch our new premium fuel, milesPLUS in 11 pilot sites over the coming weeks.

It's only being piloted/trialled.

If there is demand, it'll presumably be made more available, if there's no demand, it'll quickly fade away., much like v power and e85.

(E85s demand dropped when the tax was raised on it, v power went because of lack of demand)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Madnash

Can't understand why drivers settle for second best. Don't drivers want the best for there cars, some cars just won't run right on low grade fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Madnash wrote: »
    Can't understand why drivers settle for second best. Don't drivers want the best for there cars, some cars just won't run right on low grade fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,884 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Madnash wrote: »

What cars need isn't supplied by this fuel. It's just our standard fuel with a few additives it's not higher octane/cetane, which is what cars really need.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Was chatting to a guy I know in a topaz.

He said that in the first week of milesPlus being launched, it accounted for 45% of all fuel sales at his particular station.

Obviously there is a demand.
    Now demand might drop as the novelty factor wears off.

But there definitely is a market for improved fuels

Del2005 wrote: »
    What cars need isn't supplied by this fuel. It's just our standard fuel with a few additives it's not higher octane/cetane, which is what cars really need.

The diesel has a higher cetane number of 3 minimum.
    The petrol is still 95ron

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Del2005 wrote: »

MilesPlus diesel is at least 54 cetane but as they can't guarantee it, so it's officially still 51 like standard diesel. It is higher cetane though and they even advertise it as such.

Therefore the diesel product is a premium fuel and is worth the extra.

The petrol is exactly as you've said, just a few extra cleaning agents so unless you've got a direct injection petrol engine, it will make no difference whatsoever and you're throwing money down the drain, the odd tankful won't do the car any harm and it might help for making the emissions that little bit cleaner for the NCT but that's all it's useful for. The extra cleaning agents should help prevent carbon build up if you've got a direct injection car, although this problem is also dependent on how harshly you drive the car (too gentle and you're more likely to have the problem) plus some direct injection cars (such as Toyota/Lexus) still have port injection so that will take care of any carbon buildup problems.

Now if it was 98 RON like then it would be a premium fuel in my opinion and hence worth the extra cost, the higher octane will mean more power and mpg on anything with a turbo or a high performance NA engine. Anything with direct injection will benefit from the higher octane, which will give a cleaner burning of the fuel and hence reduce carbon build up but MilesPlus should still give a direct injected car some long term benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Well, my next couple of tanks of fuel will be the miles plus diesel. I'll run it for a few weeks to see what it does.

I was talking to a friend who ran a tank of it in a Santa Fe and he said it made a difference. It wasn't noticeably quicker on acceleration but it felt more responsive. When he switched back to "regular" diesel, he felt the engine was a lot more "flat"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

ianobrien wrote: »
    Well, my next couple of tanks of fuel will be the miles plus diesel. I'll run it for a few weeks to see what it does.

I was talking to a friend who ran a tank of it in a Santa Fe and he said it made a difference. It wasn't noticeably quicker on acceleration but it felt more responsive. When he switched back to "regular" diesel, he felt the engine was a lot more "flat"

Definitely only in those 11 stations?

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Definitely only in those 11 stations?

Yep, he got it in Ballincollig as his local one didn't have it.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I don't know how long the milesPlus trial is to run, I'd imagine 12 months minimum, but the uptake of it seems very positive, according to those in the industry that I've spoken to.

I wouldn't be surprised if they roll it out in more coco° stations

I'm actually amazed that they don't sell it at the motorway services... but then, fuel on the motorway costs more, and then add the 7c premium.

°Company Owned Company Operated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

NO.. Bog standard for me
    mikeecho wrote: »
    I don't know how long the milesPlus trial is to run, I'd imagine 12 months minimum, but the uptake of it seems very positive, according to those in the industry that I've spoken to.

I wouldn't be surprised if they roll it out in more coco° stations

I'm actually amazed that they don't sell it at the motorway services... but then, fuel on the motorway costs more, and then add the 7c premium.

°Company Owned Company Operated

Trial is Initially to be 3 months then it's getting the infrastructure into place so I wouldn't see any old sites changing soon, newer sites that are planned might add it.
    I've had 3 tanks of diesel at this stage and it has most definitely improved the cars response and acceleration, the biggest thing I've noticed though is noise reduction in a 09 avensis which was a nice surprise.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    sidcon wrote: »
    Trial is Initially to be 3 months then it's getting the infrastructure into place so I wouldn't see any old sites changing soon, newer sites that are planned might add it.
    I've had 3 tanks of diesel at this stage and it has most definitely improved the cars response and acceleration, the biggest thing I've noticed though is noise reduction in a 09 avensis which was a nice surprise.

Another friend who has a topaz site (Was statoil, and she'll before that)
    Said that he wouldn't stock the plus fuels.

When he was Shell, and sold v power petrol, the volume sold was very little.

He has 4 tanks in the station.

I'll chat to him during the week, and see if he has changed his mind about stocking plus diesel.

The only problem is that he operates as a dodo, and he is far from being the cheapest operator.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Topaz having a meeting/conference /God know what u call it

With station owners/operators next week in a large newly reopened GAA stadium in Munster.

I presume they will be encouraging them to take on the plus fuel.
    Along with Circle K migration

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Another friend who has a topaz site (Was statoil, and she'll before that)
    Said that he wouldn't stock the plus fuels.

When he was Shell, and sold v power petrol, the volume sold was very little.

He has 4 tanks in the station.

I'll chat to him during the week, and see if he has changed his mind about stocking plus diesel.

The only problem is that he operates as a dodo, and he is far from being the cheapest operator.

Vpower in Ireland was 95 octane. Apparently it just had different or more additives. Quite similar to this fuel but Topaz are targeting the mainstream rather than a niche market.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Topaz having a meeting/conference /God know what u call it

With station owners/operators next week in a large newly reopened GAA stadium in Munster.

I presume they will be encouraging them to take on the plus fuel.
    Along with Circle K migration

The coco managers had the same meeting the other day, it the official launch of Circle K

NO.. Bog standard for me
    sidcon wrote: »
    The coco managers had the same meeting the other day, it the official launch of Circle K

Can you share any info?

A buddy, the owner of a dodo, and is going next week to it.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Can you share any info?

A buddy, the owner of a dodo, and is going next week to it.

Afraid not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Ran a couple of tanks through on the plus diesel.

Possibly slightly better performance but mpg seemed to be the same if not poorer than the regular stuff.

I have a fuel card that gives me 3.5c a litre off the pump price but at 7c a litre extra over the regular I don't see any real value in it.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    PaulKK wrote: »
    Ran a couple of tanks through on the plus diesel.

Possibly slightly better performance but mpg seemed to be the same if not poorer than the regular stuff.

I have a fuel card that gives me 3.5c a litre off the pump price but at 7c a litre extra over the regular I don't see any real value in it.

Check your statement..
    I don't get any discount on plus fuels (dci card)

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Check your statement..

DCI might be the problem there most topaz garages that have it would not be a core garage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

Check your statement..

Its a topaz card. It gives the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm still very much confused as they were already telling us we would get up to 24km extra with the ordinary and now we have plus that offers up to 3%

Funny thing is read all the terms and it may actually done none of the above of course anyone with a brain will know that.

I would guess many have gotten it as there are now 4 nozzles and is done very well as to help confuse.

Also not a fan of how diesel is now on top to show off the cheaper price as where petrol in most was always advertised on top.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I'm still very much confused as they were already telling us we would get up to 24km extra with the ordinary and now we have plus that offers up to 3%

They claimed the 24km with the old additive
    And they claim 3% with the new additive.
    It's compared against fuel with no additives

i would guess many have gotten it as there are now 4 nozzles and is done very well as to help confuse.

True, some have bought plus by accident.. but then, some buy the completely wrong fuel.

How else are they to dispense 4 different fuels ?
    Also not a fan of how diesel is now on top to show off the cheaper price as where petrol in most was always advertised on top.

Its been diesel on top for a long time, very few stations I've noticed displaying petrol first.

Anyway, the bulk of fuel sold is diesel, so it probably suits most motorists just to look at the first price on the monolith.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Just to add fuel to the fire.

Here's a recent article from AutoExpress on whether or not you should use premium fuel.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fuel/101266/premium-fuel-explained-is-it-worth-paying-more-for-premium-diesel-or-premium-petrol

Note: it does state that premium petrol is usually more than 95, (but not necessarly)

Also states that the premium diesel might be good to use every 1000miles

.... hmmm link not working

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/fuel/101266/premium-fuel-explained-is-it-worth-paying-more-for-premium-diesel-or-premium-petrol

6 Oct, 2017 4:00pm Dean Gibson

Premium fuel explained: is it worth paying more for premium diesel or premium petrol?

Advice on whether adding high octane super unleaded petrol or super diesel to your tank is worth the extra cost

We've all seen the extra fuel pumps at the petrol station. Next to the regular unleaded and diesel nozzles, you'll find additional pumps that supply higher octane (and usually more expensive) fuel. It will be branded things like Premium, Super, Ultimate, Nitro+, V-Power, Momentum or such like, and you'll usually find some accompanying advertising on the pumps promoting their benefits.

The one thing that will put most people off using super petrol or super diesel is the higher price of these premium fuels, but if you drive a performance car, it could be worth your while investing in a tankful. Not only will it make the most of your car's performance, but premium fuels will also help to prevent potential costly engine repair bills in the future. So what are the differences between regular gas and these premium or super fuels? Well, the first thing to know is that there is a distinct difference between premium petrol and premium diesel.

Premium petrol
    Premium petrol usually has a higher octane rating than regular petrol. Octane is a chemical component of petrol, and the amount of octane contained within the fuel determines how well it will work in higher compression engines - high octane fuel works more effectively than lower rated fuels. The standard rating for petrol in the UK is 95 octane, and every car sold in the UK has its electronics tuned so that it can run properly on this fuel.

In some foreign countries, you can get lower octane rated fuels, but if you add these to your car, it may cause 'knocking'. This is an engine condition that occurs when the fuel/air mixture in the engine's cylinder head doesn't burn properly, causing the engine to sound rough, with a pinging noise when it's running. In most cases it will result in rough running, although in the worst-case scenario there is the potential for engine failure if you use low octane fuel regularly.

At the other end of the spectrum, some high-performance cars may suffer from knock when using regular 95 octane fuel. That's because the engines in performance cars can feature a high compression ratio - the difference in size of the combustion chamber between the cylinder's lowest and highest points. As a result, these engines will need a higher octane-rated fuel to work effectively. If your car needs high octane fuel, it will be noted in the owner's manual, while most cars have a label on the inside of the fuel filler flap which shows what kind of fuel you can use.

Premium diesel

Because diesel engines don't ignite fuel to create power (fuel is added to the air that is compressed instead), premium diesel doesn't usually feature a higher octane rating. Instead, this more expensive super diesel will feature chemicals in its mixture that are designed to shift soot deposits and other oily build-up from within the engine's fuel system.

So why choose super fuels?
    If you drive an ordinary mainstream car, then there's not much point in paying extra for premium fuels. Your car has been set up to work properly using standard petrol and diesel, and fuel companies have created their regular gas to work effectively in your engine.

However, if you drive a diesel car, there's no harm in running a tankful of super diesel through the engine every 1,000 miles or so. This should clear out any oily or sooty deposits from the engine and fuel system, and will help your car to be more efficient and economical when running on regular diesel, as the fuel system will be clearer. In the long run, paying an extra 5-10p per litre for super diesel every now and again could help to avoid costly future repairs if your diesel engine packs up.

The real benefits of super fuels can be had by owners of performance cars, even hot hatchbacks. While many of these cars will work perfectly well on regular petrol, you should be able to tell the difference if you fill your tank with high-octane fuel. Improved throttle response will be the clearest indication of its benefit, while the engine should rev more freely and should deliver more power.

While some companies only go for 97 or 98 octane fuel, you can get 100 octane gas at some leading retailers - even at supermarkets - and while it will carry a 10p per litre premium over regular petrol, your performance car will benefit greatly from a higher octane-rated fuel.

Not only will you see an improvement in performance, but efficiency could also benefit. As high-compression engines are designed to work with higher octane ratings, fuel economy will remain the same at the very least, and could even improve slightly.

If you're worried about the cost of high-octane fuel, there's probably nothing stopping you from still using regular petrol, but like a diesel, your car will benefit greatly if you stick a tankful of high octane fuel in it every now and again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Ok for 3 tanks for of the plus petrol in my car down. Its a powerful turbo petrol car. I can draw the following conclusions.

1. Power - absolutely no difference, cant feel a thing. No sound difference, no acceleration difference no speed of rev difference.

2. Economy - definitely an improvement in MPG computer says its about 0.5mpg difference but I have had to fill noticeably less. Maybe its just the driving in the time-frame?

Conclusion - not worth the extra money.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 EamonM

I was running on the red and pulled into the m9 one outside Carlow and said i would try 20 quids worth just to get me home, well what can I say I am still smiling :)
    After trying every fuel additive over the years the book stops here, unreal.. quieter more responsive engine, pulling through the gears effortlessly , it felt as though I had just had a mini remap done, I would safely say my car went from a 140bhp TD to 155bhp after 20 miles driving, super stuff would highly recommend. As we all know diesel particle filters give problems that can cost hundreds if not thousands to repair from build up, well if this fuel cleans as well as it performs I believe that would also solve that one. I am heading back to fill up tomorrow :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Going to give this a go at the weekend. Not sure if it's necessary as I always use dipetane to every other tank full.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    EamonM wrote: »
    I was running on the red and pulled into the m9 one outside Carlow and said i would try 20 quids worth just to get me home, well what can I say I am still smiling :)
    After trying every fuel additive over the years the book stops here, unreal.. quieter more responsive engine, pulling through the gears effortlessly , it felt as though I had just had a mini remap done, I would safely say my car went from a 140bhp TD to 155bhp after 20 miles driving, super stuff would highly recommend. As we all know diesel particle filters give problems that can cost hundreds if not thousands to repair from build up, well if this fuel cleans as well as it performs I believe that would also solve that one. I am heading back to fill up tomorrow :):)

I use plus diesel, and I find it great, now whether it's value for money, I don't know.
    But lots of articles state that premium diesel is good for engine cleaning.

Other reports state that you need to run 2 tanks or 100 to 200hrs of engine time for it to take effect.

So.. I personally doubt your claims are true, I'm sure there's a bit of placebo effect going on.

..but having said that, run a few (3 or 4) full tanks of plus diesel fuel, and see how things are.

None of the fuel companies will say that premium fuels* have an instant result.

*Race fuels will be different

But they are super super expensive and usually bought in 5L or 20L drums

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I was running a Ducato for a month on Shell V-Power Racing diesel or BP Ultimate Diesel. After 3,500 km of both pottering and hammering down the Autobahn I felt the difference in both acceleration, pick-up, fuel economy, etc. I was driving it last weekend on regular Irish Diesel and I thought there was a problem it was so flat compared to when it was on the German diesel.

Anyhow, I've gone through half a tank of Topaz Miles Plus on a Octavia 2.0TDI and there's an improvement in pickup and it feels more lively. I'll run another few tanks to see and run it in the Ducato to see if it's half as good as the German Diesel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 993 ✭✭✭737max

Topaz doing this marketing/lying again.

It is 95RON like the last time they tried to lie to the public. If your car is well maintained and running over a long period of time on petrol sourced from reputable sources i.e. not IRA unbranded petrol stations then this fuel will do nothing to improve your fuel consumption.

If it were 98RON used in a car with a compression ratio of 11:1 or higher with an ECU which can advance or retard ignition then it might improve fuel consumption marginally.

Topaz adverts were pulled last time back in 2010 when they tried this "more miles" advertising/marketing strategy because members of the public and competitors complained.

It seems the desire to claim that your product will drive a car further than your competitor's product is irresistible to Topaz.

Boycott!!!

Advertisement