Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Miles fuel (Topaz/Circle K)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Atari Jaguar
    Considering people will pay €20k to save €200 a year in motor tax I can't see any market for "expensive" premium fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I'd like to try it in the TSI.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

Bring back e85....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Can't see a market for it here when people complain about the higher price of Topaz stations as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭privateBeavis

Sounds like a Celtic tiger product maybe they're expecting the next boom.

• Advertisement

Atari Jaguar
    Petrol is already way too expensive so no chance I'd buy even more expensive petrol than I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Wow it improves performance. Fairly sure the speed limit hasn't changed. Though on the flip side it might mean that it shaves 0.00001 seconds from my 0 - 120 kmh time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

mfceiling wrote: »
    Wow it improves performance. Fairly sure the speed limit hasn't changed.

000d62c7-1500.jpg
    Sacre bleu!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭kirving

Bring back E85 and a decent price and I'll take the power cut all day long! 1200km a week for the past while and NY wallet is getting sick of my FlexFuel running on petrol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Bring back E85 and a decent price and I'll take the power cut all day long! 1200km a week for the past while and NY wallet is getting sick of my FlexFuel running on petrol

They were well able to zap E85 and make lpg etc unattractive. Good thing the greens had clean green environmentally friendly diesel to step into the gap.

Cause and effect and intent may be open to interpretation in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Atari Jaguar
    Premium fuel is always an option for me here in NL but I've never got it. Price being the biggest factor. And you've got to be careful as to what's 98 RON and what's not.

Esso Supreme and Total Excellium for example are still 95 RON, waste of money imo.

A local station to me is today €1.549 for 95 unleaded and €1.719 for 98. No way would I ever pay the extra for my 1.4 Golf.

There are a couple of places that sell 102 RON that has no ethanol. That's more tempting but don't know how much it costs.

I would think 98 RON is better for motorbikes though..?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

^^^^^
    1.55 euro and 1.72 euro / litre for fuel :eek: and people complain about fuel costs here.
    Out of curiosity how does the road tax on your car compare to heee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

K.Flyer wrote: »
    ^^^^^
    1.55 euro and 1.72 euro / litre for fuel :eek: and people complain about fuel costs here.
    A lot higher for most cars. 3k for a diesel E class.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

Atari Jaguar
    K.Flyer wrote: »
    ^^^^^

€604/year

My insurance renewal is in May. Should be about €570 for TPFT. 25 y.o with 2 years NCB

Edit: both of the above prices up 1c again today. Filled myself at €1.509

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭mikeecho

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Topaz are rolling out the miles fuels.

The premium versions will be a bit further down the line.

https://www.topaz.ie/fuels/sds-product-specs.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Fuels are still unbelievably cheap from the energy output point of view.

Some cars (older and newer) require to be fuelled by 98 octane fuel, so it will be nice to have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭MarkN

To be fair here, a 1.4 Golf doesn't need it though.

You're talking a very small number of cars on Irish roads IMO. I've only ever had one car that said it needed it in the manual, a 4.0 V8.

It's not just about 0-60 times either, it will help a high performance engine run better in general.

Total waste of money unless it says in your cars manual that you should use it. And even then, it's at your own discretion!

NO.. Bog standard for me
    polan wrote: »
    I really hope it is. Just FYI, Statoil sells milesPLUS 95 and milesPLUS 98 on the continent, so it could be either of those :(

They actually sell
    95miles
    95miles plus
    98miles plus
    Diesel miles
    Diesel miles plus

908d1520d828a1654b395a268340790a.jpg&h=198&w=300&zc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I will probably try a tank or two of the miles plus petrol or whatever it is called and see if I can notice any worthwhile difference and if not revert to the regular stuff.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    The specs on the Swedish statoil site claim
    95miles = min 95ron
    98miles plus = 98ron
    Diesel miles= min 51 cetane
    Diesel miles plus= 60 cetane

Some countries claim diesel miles to be 51 cetane and diesel miles plus to be 55 cetane

Hopefully we'll get the 60cetane.

Time and pricing will tell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭JoeA3

VW recommend that you use 98RON in the Golf R so I'd be interested in trying this if it actually is 98RON. Guys in the uk claim mpg is better and the car is more responsive on the dearer stuff. Apparently the ECU defects lower quality fuel and holds back some power as a consequence so I'd be curious to find out for myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Considering people will pay €20k to save €200 a year in motor tax I can't see any market for "expensive" premium fuel.
    9 years into the new tax system I can't believe this argument is still being wheeled out.

Cui bono?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

NO.. Bog standard for me
    hoodie6029 wrote: »
    9 years into the new tax system I can't believe this argument is still being wheeled out.

People are still doing it, buying the daysul instead of the petrol for the chape tax. First question I'm asked when I say I've a petrol car is "how much is de tax on her?" Followed shortly by a sigh when I say it's €390.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭landmarkjohn

Atari Jaguar
    pajor wrote: »
    I would think 98 RON is better for motorbikes though..?

I would expect it to be noticeable.

Back in the old days when the choice was 4 star or Unleaded when I put 4 star in the bike you could feel the power increase immediately.

(high performance Kawasaki in-line 4 cylinder 16V) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Would they ever bring in premium agri diesel, wouldn't mind trying it out on the International!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

NO.. Bog standard for me
    My car would only love some 98ron, eagerly awaiting this, the bottles of octane booster are a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

Almost all of the modern cars employ a knock sensor and will retard the ignition if serious pinking occurs. If I was driving a TSi/GTi with many red letters, 1.0 Ecoboost 125 PS etc. it would most certain at least try the higher octane stuff.

In my own car (SAAB) the low pressure boosted models are designed for E95 and an Aero or 2.0T for E98. The manual says that E95 can also be used but may result in reduced performance and fuel economy under certain driving conditions. Looking at it ignition mapping in the ECU the higher boost models are definitely more aggressively tuned to take advantage of fuel with higher octane rating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I've a diesel, and I add a cetane improver at every fill up.

If they offer 60 cetane Diesel, I will try it, at least I'll know what cetane level I'm using instead of adding 2ehn to add a few points to the fuel, as I currently do.

It'll all depend on the price.

If it's just regular diesel with some pixie dust with the same cetane, I'll continue with regular diesel and my additive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭Ded_Zebra

What a load of smack. That's not premium fuel at all! Just a marketing gimmick.:rolleyes:

If they get actual premium fuel I might by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Ded_Zebra wrote: »
    What a load of smack. That's not premium fuel at all! Just a marketing gimmick.:rolleyes:

If they get actual premium fuel I might by it.

What bit is smack ?

Advertisement