Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Miles fuel (Topaz/Circle K)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭mikeecho

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Cheensbo wrote: »
    Its disappointing because feck knows what this mix is? Could be a drop of dipetane for all i know...

Looks like I will have to continue on with the shot bottles of octane booster so.

My friends in the uk think its gas that we dont have premium fuel here..

Its lubrizol, that's the secret ingredient

"Next generation fuel additive" :rolleyes:

NO.. Bog standard for me
    cisk wrote: »
    "Next generation fuel additive" :rolleyes:

Keropur was becoming so last gen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Cheensbo wrote: »
    My friends in the uk think its gas that we dont have premium fuel here..

Premium fuel drives youngfellas shtone mad altogether. Completely disorientated they are forced to perform donuts until the effects wear off.

"We were driving south on the motorway towards Limerick when we noticed, on a parallel road, a bunch of youths with a couple of cars doing donuts.
    In other words, they were using their handbrakes to make the car revolve, leaving a figure-of-eight in tyre tread on the road. They sure were smoking those tyres.
    Innocent fun on a bright summer evening?

It's true, I read it in the Indo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

NO.. Bog standard for me
    'milesPLUS from Topaz has arrived!
    Following on from our very successful miles fuel launch across Ireland we are delighted to inform you that in addition to our existing miles fuel we will launch our new premium fuel, milesPLUS in 11 pilot sites over the coming weeks.

milesPLUS is our new premium fuel that contains an even higher concentration of additives which delivers even more benefits and better performance for your engine than miles.

Over the last number of years our fuel experts have worked with an industry leading additive supplier to develop a powerful in-fuel additive, proven to provide customers with more power & acceleration, for a superior driving experience.

What are the benefits of milesPLUS ?
    • MORE POWER & ACCELERATION
    • CLEANS ENGINE LIKE NEW
    • REDUCES ENGINE DEPOSIT BUILD UP
    Our Diesel Additives
    • milesPLUS diesel has a higher concentration of cetane & deposit control additives. This new & improved package of additives prevents the build-up of deposits & optimises combustion. milesPLUS diesel boosts cold start performance and reduces knock & noise in diesel engines. Our innovative chemistry is designed to deal with old & new generation diesel engines. Regular use of milesPLUS diesel restores, maintains and improves engine power.

Our Petrol Additives
    • milesPLUS petrol has a higher concentration of friction modifiers & deposit control additives. This new & improved package of additives keep intake valves clean & clear, resulting in better engine performance. This leads to power & torque maintenance & prevents fuel injector deposits building up in engines. Regular use of milesPLUS petrol restores, maintains and improves engine power and acceleration.
    For both diesel & petrol customers, milesPLUS continues to deliver all of the benefits of miles. So as well as providing more power & acceleration, milesPLUS customers can also improve their fuel economy by up to 3%.

milesPLUS Fuel Tests
    The changes in engine power, torque, fuel consumption & emissions have been verified by BOSMAL Automotive Research & Development Institute. Both milesPLUS & miles fuels were compared to EU standard fuels not containing additives. Both milesPLUS & miles fuels have been tested in accordance with strictly defined methods and procedures as NEDC (New European Driving Cycle) & WLTC (Worldwide harmonized Light vehicles Test Cycles).

AA Quality Approved
    Both milesPLUS & miles fuels are further Quality Approved by AA Ireland, giving you added reassurance. The AA Quality Assurance is a standard that enables us to constantly check the levels of service & the quality of our products against the highest standards in the marketplace.

The price you will be charged for milesPLUS will be advised to you in your normal weekly price notification and will be identified separately on your invoice.

The 11 sites where milesPLUS will be available immediately are listed below
    • Brennanstown
    • Ballyboden
    • Mulhuddart
    • Dalkey
    • Westview
    • Junction 5 M9
    • Castlecomer Road
    • Waterford Road
    • Tivoli
    • Eastgate
    • Bohermore'

Recieved this email this afternoon, no mention of octane level though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

NO.. Bog standard for me
    It's still just 95 unfortunately. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭honda boi

Hasn't topaz always said it improves up to 3% fuel economy?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

honda boi wrote: »
    Thats their claim and probably justifies their higher prices :(

NO.. Bog standard for me
    9 to 11c more per litre apparently.
    Will be interesting to see how more expensive it will be... and how long before it's withdrawn due to lack of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

NO.. Bog standard for me
    mikeecho wrote: »
    how long before it's withdrawn due to lack of interest.

A lot quicker than if it was 98 / super id say, sickening that we are one of very few countries that dont have access to it.

I'd travel & pay for super - but i doubt i will pay 11c extra for the same octane fuel with some sort of dipetane in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

So like Dipetane then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

honda boi wrote: »

I have an app that tracks my mpg and I update it with every fill as I do close to 1,000 miles per week.

I use the same Topaz all the time.
    Since "miles" came in i haven't noticed a 3% improvement, more like 0%.

So I definitely won't be paying extra for "miles plus".

NO.. Bog standard for me
    s15r330 wrote: »
    I have an app that tracks my mpg and I update it with every fill as I do close to 1,000 miles per week.

I use the same Topaz all the time.
    Since "miles" came in i haven't noticed a 3% improvement, more like 0%.

So I definitely won't be paying extra for "miles plus".
    The miles additive (lubrizol) has actually been added to topaz fuel for about the past 12 months.
    Before that they used keropur.

Both additives claim 3% over non additized ! fuel.

The plus, will just have a higher amount of additive.
    Unfortunately the petrol will only be 95ron
    However the diesel plus, will have some extra cetane points/number as a higher amount of 2-ehn is added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭s15r330

The miles additive (lubrizol) has actually been added to topaz fuel for about the past 12 months.
    Before that they used keropur.

Both additives claim 3% over non additized ! fuel.

The plus, will just have a higher amount of additive.
    Unfortunately the petrol will only be 95ron
    However the diesel plus, will have some extra cetane points/number as a higher amount of 2-ehn is added.

Ah, didn't know that! Well in that case i've been only recording the mpg for 7months or so, I wouldn't notice if the increase was already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

new & improved ...

Always makes me laugh. Anyway this looks like neither

Seems its already been part of the offering for some time and my bank balance certainly won't improve by buying some cleverly marketed fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Do I need to notify my insurance if use this stuff, due to the 'more power and acceleration' ?

dar83 wrote: »
    Do I need to notify my insurance if use this stuff, due to the 'more power and acceleration' ?

On the other hand, check with Shannon if you've lower emissions :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Of course they have released Dyno figures on a range of cars old and new? Cant seem to find them? That is a serious price hike, would want to be 5-10% more efficient to make it worthwhile from an economy POV. (they claim 3%). They have a calculator but I cant see how it is accurate given the price.

Would love some 98 octane premium unleaded in this country mind you and would pay extra for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I think that's the main missed trick here to be honest. There is definitely a market out there for a proper performance fuel but companies are probably shying away from it because due to the taxation it would be 10-12c per litre more than the regular stuff. I personally wouldn't mind paying that whatsoever for decent fuel as I don't do huge mileage and the car performing as it should is more important to me than saving €5 per fill, but I guess they figure a lot of people wouldn't be that way inclined and it would be a failure.

The even worse part about this Plus experiment is that it will probably be used as justification for their being no market for premium fuels here when it does fail, which other brands will probably use as rationale to never give it a try either. :(

In a very outside chance and potential positive though, maybe it will be a success and other brands will look to jump on board with similar ideas, but will actually go that one step further to get one-up on Topaz and will introduce proper 98. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

OSI wrote: »
    7c a litre more expensive:

3266330949.jpg

I can see it being withdrawn within a matter of months. First of all no one will pay roughly €3-4 a tank more for a gimmick fuel so the fuel lying in the storage tanks at filling stations will go 'off' resulting in poorer performance and MPG results when people do buy it.

Secondly if you want people to try a new product then you have to offer it to them at the same price (or only a cent or two more expensive) as the regular product for them to see the difference. If people notice an actual Difference then there is a greater chance they'll buy it at a higher price.

I will not be trying this product despite having a topaz card and getting a 3.5c per litre with it. Simply not worth it.

• Advertisement

NO.. Bog standard for me
    6% more expensive saves (a claimed) 3% in fuel, what am I missing?

NO.. Bog standard for me
    new & improved ...

Always makes me laugh. Anyway this looks like neither

Seems its already been part of the offering for some time and my bank balance certainly won't improve by buying some cleverly marketed fuel

It's the milesPlus that is new an improved.. Not the regular miles fuel

@ OSI Where did you see that Monolith ?

I passed Topaz Tivoli today, and they just had the regular signage, and i passed Topaz on the Bandon Rd, R-about, and i they also had the 2 price sign, but i thought it was a lot more expensive than usual, diesel last week was 119.9 and petrol was 130.9 , and today i thought it say 128.9 and 138.9 .. but i was a bit of a distance away.

It's the milesPlus that is new an improved.. Not the regular miles fuel

I was think of the Billy Connolly joke that something can't be brand new and improved at the same time

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭sidcon

NO.. Bog standard for me

Secondly if you want people to try a new product then you have to offer it to them at the same price (or only a cent or two more expensive) as the regular product for them to see the difference. If people notice an actual Difference then there is a greater chance they'll buy it at a higher price.

They are offering a discount but it's on the second fill. They will give you your second fill of miles plus at the standard diesel price. Theory begin that you will see the difference by the second fill.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    I know I've been posting a lot About the plus fuels.

I for one will be buying it.

Hopefully if there is enough of a demand, other fuel companies will also offer the super premium fuels. If miles plus is a success, maybe maxol or someone else might jump on board with a 98ron.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

I know I've been posting a lot About the plus fuels.

I for one will be buying it.

Hopefully if there is enough of a demand, other fuel companies will also offer the super premium fuels. If miles plus is a success, maybe maxol or someone else might jump on board with a 98ron.

Even without proof the PR men win again.
    And Doubting Thomas will remain unconvinced :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,446 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Diesel is expensive enough anyway lads without voluntarily paying more!
    I'll stick to the cheapest possible, ta.

NO.. Bog standard for me
    Full tank of Plus petrol....feel no difference, I will put another tank in next week and make a judgement. I think any perceived difference would be placebo if at all.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Diesel is expensive enough anyway lads without voluntarily paying more!
    I'll stick to the cheapest possible, ta.

Cheap could end up being kerosene in disguise! And that won't be cheap to fix

By all means buy cheap but buy from a reputable brand and not some pop up garage especially along the west

Yes miles+ is more expensive a for me not worth it but at least anyway it's not bad/dirty fuel

I got diesel for 1.13 recently but the garage is long standing and full of taxi drivers so should be OK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,446 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Cheap could end up being kerosene in disguise! And that won't be cheap to fix

By all means buy cheap but buy from a reputable brand and not some pop up garage especially along the west

Yes miles+ is more expensive a for me not worth it but at least anyway it's not bad/dirty fuel

I got diesel for 1.13 recently but the garage is long standing and full of taxi drivers so should be OK.
    yeah true but my diesel is an old school one so it wouldnt mind some bad "lesser quality" fuel anyway.

On a 3 year old diesel I had for a while, there was a warning not to use more than 5% biodiesel, let alone anything else so if I were running a new diesel I'd only go to the likes of Topaz etc.

Advertisement