Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda shoots himself in the foot

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone know what the current requirements are for Gardai to be deemed suitable to carry a firearm?

I assume that they are required to put time in at a range regularly, do periodic refresher training courses etc.

Apparently having either the chamber empty or the safety on is not a requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

[/LIST]
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0611/1146938-garda-gun-accident/

It would be a member of Donnybrook Garda station who was on Diplomatic duty at either the American, British or Israeli Diplomatic missions.

If coming off duty more than likely bring weapon back to Donnybrook when the accidental discharge occurred.

Hope the member is okay.

Sig Sauer P226 more than likely or an older Smith and Wessen revolver possibly.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/firearms/pistols/p226/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If they are not shooting themselves in the foot they are eating their service arms.13 of them have ended it all in the last decade with their issued sidearms.
    Carrick on Shannon was a scary one.Retired guy of 35 years still had the keys to the arms locker a month after retirement!Takes a UZI and ends it all down in the station toilet!
    Thankfully he was only going to do himself in,and not Carrick on Shannon!
    Literally the 1st thing that is taken off you in the US PDs after your last shift is any access to police arms when you retire.
    Scary that these situations and tragedies are then used to bias against us "mere civillians"in ownership.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

Anyone know what the current requirements are for Gardai to be deemed suitable to carry a firearm?

I assume that they are required to put time in at a range regularly, do periodic refresher training courses etc.

"Each individual garda trained in the use of a firearm must do a minimum of two live firearm refresher training sessions and one computer generated situation, known as a FATS, each year to retain the authorisation to carry a firearm.

Since 2013, 10,049 members of An Garda Síochána have received basic training and refresher courses."

Irish independent 28/12/16

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭kunekunesika

Considering they have had 2 very similar incidents (from our limited information) in a very short space of time, I'm wondering have they got one of these rare combinations of gun type, holster type with car seat/seat belt type, that may cause (increase the possibility) this? Curious to see if same car type and seating position was common to both? If not, then?????

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Folks, I'm not happy that this discussion falls under the sports/shooting category so I'm closing it and going to ask the shooting mods to review it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I am currently reviewing the thread.

After i posted my link to the newspaper article i unsubscribed from the thread and so did not receive notification for the new posts. Had i, i would have closed the thread too as the idea of this thread and the posts within were not intended as an opportunity to bash AGS.

The topic of the thread was supposed to be about firearm safety/handling and how it relates to the specific articles linked in this thread. We are free to discuss and critique AGS, but its not a "free for all" and bringing supposed issues into the discussion simply to try and find fault is pointless and irrelevant.

Not to mention if someone really wants to get into a discussion on AGS there is a dedicated forum for AGS, its here.

Once i have had the chance to discuss this with the other Mods i'll post a notification here and the thread will either be reopened or remain shut.

Anyone with any issues on this should contact me via PM and i'll happily discuss the matter with you and take on board any suggestions you might have.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement