Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Potential Extreme Wind Storm - Thursday 8th December

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I like storms, but i must say this one for Thursday looks fairly daunting if you live on the islands off the west coast of Scotland. There could be gusts in excess of 90 mph on the inner hebrides.

And the red high alert zone on the UKMO maps is right over the most populated area of Scotland.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Red alert for Donegal tomorrow as well..

mapki.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

snow ghost wrote: »
    Not going to be fun for brontophobia sufferers out there... I don't think there are many here though.

Sorry to be pedantic, but that's a fear of thunder, not windstorms!:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

Conor30 wrote: »

Conor, yes just before you posted I googled it and it said fear of thunder... the book I was just reading said it was 'fear of storms', and there was me thinking I'd just learnt a new snazzy word! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Conor30

Conor, yes just before you posted I googled it and it said fear of thunder... the book I was just reading said it was 'fear of storms', and there was me thinking I'd just learnt a new snazzy word! :o

No worries, mate. Wasn't trying to cut you down. :)

What's the name of the book, by the way?

Scotland not taking any chances.
    The Forth Road Bridge is expected to close for four hours between 3pm and 7pm on Thursday due to the stormy weather.

Renfrewshire Council announced all schools will close at 1pm on Thurday after the alert. All special schools, including Hollybush Pre-five Centre, will be closed all day.
    The warnings have been described as "highly unusual" by Transport Scotland, which is urging people to pay attention to police travel warnings. Police advise that conditions for travel between 3pm and 6pm on Thursday are likely to be extremely poor and significant delays should be expected.

The Scottish Government said the wind could lead to all main road bridges being closed and will have a severe impact on Thursday’s rush hour, while disruption to power supplies and property is also a strong possibility.

http://news.stv.tv/scotland/285750-snow-and-ice-cause-problems-on-roads-as-storms-expected-to-hit-scotland/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭snow ghost

What's the name of the book, by the way?

'Paul McKenna's Hypnotic Secrets', was lying around and I picked it up, was reading about phobias... it was mesmerizing. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭whitemocha

http://images.meteociel.fr/im/9587/gfs-0-132_pct5.png

is the above yet another storm for next week???

gfs-0-132_pct5.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

Max winds forecast as per the latest TAFs (valid until 6 pm Thursday)

Belfast Aldergrove
    W 35 gusty 55 kts (thought it would be more?)

Dublin Airport
    W 32 gust 50 kts

Knock
    W 30 gust 48 kts

Shannon
    SW 30 gust 48 kts

Cork Airport
    SW 27 gust 47 kts

Meanwhile, up in Scotland!!

Glasgow International
    Chance of W 35 gust 55 kts

Prestwick
    W 35 gust 50, chance of W 45 gust 65 kts

Edinburgh
    Chance of W 35 gust 55 kts

These are the 24-hour TAFs, for the main airports. The smaller airports, such as Derry Eglington and the Hebrides airports, will have 9-hour TAFs issued early tomorrow morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Those TAF seem to be underplaying this storm for Scotland i feel.
    75+ kts in gusts would be more like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

Is this likely to cause problems for flights out of Dublin Airport tomorrow?

redsunset wrote: »
    Those TAF seem to be underplaying this storm for Scotland i feel.
    75+ kts in gusts would be more like it.

They only show conditions in the vicinity of each airport, so don't show the whole picture over a wider area. Also, the Hebrides will see the strongest winds, so it'll be interesting to see those TAFs!

ragg wrote: »
    Is this likely to cause problems for flights out of Dublin Airport tomorrow?

Shouldn't do, wind's right down the runway, although there will be severe windshear, so bumpy landings for all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭ragg

So quick take off and bumpy approach on the way back tomorrow night - might have a straightner or two before the return flight.

Thanks dude :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Victor Meldrew

whitemocha wrote: »
    http://images.meteociel.fr/im/9587/gfs-0-132_pct5.png

is the above yet another storm for next week???

gfs-0-132_pct5.png

Good God...

you don't need to be an expert to know that won't be good

• Advertisement

This is the gramet for Malin Head for the next 36 hours (until dawn Friday), showing mean winds touching 100 kph tomorrow afternoon!

184274.PNG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

What time is this expected to hit? Cycling to work in the morning for 6. Living in waterford btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Ahorseofaman

about midnight according to Evelyn(I think)

Starting to take shape.

http://www.sat24.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

wobbles wrote: »
    Cycling to work in the morning .

Expect scenes like this :D
    qWZDI.jpg

• Advertisement

18Z about to start.

Will be interesting to see if there are any surprises.

Edit : No surprises, track and intensity about the same, arrives a little faster on this run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

No wile fuss with that forecast.

Uh oh.
    In the wake of the cold front, a strong sting jet is indicated by latest models...

http://www.estofex.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭howlinwolf

what the hell is a sting jet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

irish1967 wrote: »
    No wile fuss with that forecast.

Agreed, she was rather subdued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

And the red high alert zone on the UKMO maps is right over the most populated area of Scotland.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/uk/uk_forecast_warnings.html

Which is also where I happen to live. And to make things even more interesting I work in a high rise office block in a town in the west of Scotland built on the side of a hill about 200 metres above sea level. The place blows a gale on a hot day in June. We've already had four inches of snow on the ground this week.

Tomorrow should be good...:eek:

Which is also where I happen to live. And to make things even more interesting I work in a high rise office block in a town in the west of Scotland built on the side of a hill about 200 metres above sea level. The place blows a gale on a hot day in June. We've already had four inches of snow on the ground this week.

You could be in for an experience and a half so. Stay safe!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

keep us updated if you still have power ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

WE want HOURLY picture updates! hehe !

Stay safe !

baraca wrote: »
    Where would the effects of the sting jet be felt?

Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

is this storm sapose to hit to night or in the morning??

Iancar29 wrote: »
    WE want HOURLY picture updates! hehe !

Stay safe !

Someone is doing live streaming/chasing tomorrrow.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=weatherevents;sess=

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

naughto wrote: »
    is this storm sapose to hit to night or in the morning??

It'll get windy overnight and stay windy all day tomorrow, peak around 2-3pm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Scotland.

As if they didn't have it bad enough already eh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Someone is doing live streaming/chasing tomorrrow.

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=weatherevents;sess=

It'd nice to be a passenger on that trip

That jeep is way too clean!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Anemophobia is a fear of wind - and yes I have it!! I lurk here with foreboding.

Tomorrow should be interesting. Should be interesting to see if I can become desensitised!!

But at least I'm off work. I can stay home and not go out.

Monday's storm I AM dreading. Will have to drive to and from work. No options to avoid it, sadly.

• Advertisement

baraca wrote: »
    Where would the effects of the sting jet be felt?

Stingjets usuall occur at the inside of the occlusion spiral, and can be spotted as a dark spot on water vapour satellite imagery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

howlinwolf wrote: »
    what the hell is a sting jet?
    "the most damaging winds were shown to be emanating from the evaporating tip of the hooked cloud head on the southern flank of the cyclone. This cloud, hooked like a scorpion's tail, gives the wind region its name the "Sting Jet"

That'd likely be Malin and Donegal and NI unless it is out to sea.

Pics here http://www.sercc.com/Knox_etal_Compass.pdf

We might get one on tuesday as well, a sting jet eats snow to perpetuate its stingitude you know. Booo! :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Why all the fuss? If I had a euro for every Atlantic storm I've seen I'd be a millionaire! I remember this one caused great loss of life when a tree crushed a minibus of Swiss anglers near Portumna.
    Rrea00119910105.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Harps wrote: »
    It'll get windy overnight and stay windy all day tomorrow, peak around 2-3pm

Any idea how quick the snow will follow on it's heels?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The sting jets will be the heel, Donegal snow eaters.

By the way I found the original Sting Jet paper here

Just noticed (not sure when it changed, the time on it hasn't changed) but Met Eireann have upgraded the top gusts in their warning from 135 km/h to 140 km/h.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

They updated the website at 2300 also,more or less the same as what they have been saying "Tomorrow, Thursday will be an extremely windy day with stormy conditions along the north coast. A band of heavy rain will spread eastwards and will clear in the early afternoon, with brighter showery weather developing. There will be strong to gale force westerly winds, which will gust from 90 to 135 km/h, with the strongest gusts along the northwest and north coast".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭jprboy

Just noticed (not sure when it changed, the time on it hasn't changed) but Met Eireann have upgraded the top gusts in their warning from 135 km/h to 140 km/h.

Evelyn Cusack referred to gusts of up to 140 km/h during the 9.30 forecast on RTE 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Anyone suffering from Brontophbia should seriously consider moving to east Galway. You'll never need to fear again! :mad:

Pressure within developing storm center on 18z fax down to 992 hPa, a drop of 9mb from that observed on the 12z analysis chart:

184314.PNG

Depression is now, meteorological speaking, in its mature stage and will begin to occlude shortly - that is, if it hasn't done so already. Bombing will now hence forth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

184314.PNG

Depression is now, meteorological speaking, in its mature stage and will begin to occlude shortly - that is, if it hasn't done so already. Bombing will now hence forth.

THE FUSE IS LIT!

Boom.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Its coming up to 2355 so lets head over to Met Eireann for the very latest on Rte Radio 1.

• Advertisement
Advertisement