Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Bus Changes to Improve City Center Journeys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Friday evening is always the worst for traffic but the morning is a dream compared with the rest of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,673 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Friday evening is always the worst for traffic but the morning is a dream compared with the rest of the week.

Not this morning it wasnt (or yesterday morning). Seems the diverted bus spaces have been quickly filled by taxis

fritzelly wrote: »
    Not this morning it wasnt (or yesterday morning). Seems the diverted bus spaces have been quickly filled by taxis

Well I got into the city quicker then any other.

Well I got into the city quicker then any other.

What time?
    I'm talking 8.30 ish coming from the south side

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

https://twitter.com/John_Kilraine/status/968124266238631936

looking for further info/confirmation now...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Wahay finally. Taxis to throw a strop and go on strike any minute now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

They will ignore the ban. I bet. Not like they are law abiding drivers as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

There'll be cribbin by the drivers, one of their reps already said a week or two they'll probably take action if such a move was considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

7am to 10am is hardly the end of the world for them? Wouldnt most taxi drivers not even be working 7-10am?

About time, now how about north bound

• Advertisement

Be very soon they will shut to all traffic so.

Where do they want everyone to go.
    Dublin bikes there isn't enough.
    The two way cycle lane is laughable.

Many many people cycling along tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

About time, now how about north bound

I think Dame Street to northbound actually flows pretty well - the traffic that way is entirely separate from the Luas tracks, and there are fewer traffic signals to hold things up. Southbound is where the majority of the bottlenecks lie, especially as there are 2 different southbound traffic flows (College Green to Dame Street and College Green to Grafton Street) which need to be accommodated, compared to a single flow heading north.

MJohnston wrote: »
    I think Dame Street to northbound actually flows pretty well - the traffic that way is entirely separate from the Luas tracks, and there are fewer traffic signals to hold things up. Southbound is where the majority of the bottlenecks lie, especially as there are 2 different southbound traffic flows (College Green to Dame Street and College Green to Grafton Street) which need to be accommodated, compared to a single flow heading north.

Not in the morning, traffic is often backed up - 2 lanes merging to one, then getting across the bridge can take 10 minutes

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,186 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

In compensation for the morning time ban, taxis are to be allowed to turn left at the bottom of Dawson Street and use the Luas tracks in front of Trinity College from midnight to 6am.
    they'll love that.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0226/943672-taxis-college-green-dublin/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

thomasj wrote: »
    Depends on what happens with college green. Businesses are taking DCC to court over the plans.

It’s highly unlikely any case would be successful if ABP grants permission for the plaza.

If ABP approves the plaza, they can only appeal on a technical flaw with the process or decision — and ABP has already stretched out the process because of a relatively minor issue to make sure they get everything right.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

The problem is if they do that, I have no faith in the Gardai to actually start to enforce this much needed ban, and my worry will be if the taxi brigade try and defy the ban, there won't be proper enforcement.

Some of Waldron's comments are incredulous - buses should have been removed first, businessmen/women will have to pay more to get to work (ermm take the bus or luas like most people else you pay the premium)

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

Wonder how long DCC will hold their nerve for when the taxi's threaten a strike or go slow. They crumpled spectacularly on the public transport only Eden Quay measure at the slightest hint of trouble from vested interests last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Muahahaha wrote: »
    7am to 10am is hardly the end of the world for them? Wouldnt most taxi drivers not even be working 7-10am?

Indeed, the morning peak is what is changed..again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,593 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

devnull wrote:
    The problem is if they do that, I have no faith in the Gardai to actually start to enforce this much needed ban, and my worry will be if the taxi brigade try and defy the ban, there won't be proper enforcement.

No taxi driver is going to risk penalty points, fines etc for a 10 quid fare. The customer will just end up paying more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭markpb

No taxi driver is going to risk penalty points, fines etc for a 10 quid fare. The customer will just end up paying more.

Have you met a taxi driver before? If they sense a fare on the other side of college green, they'd climb over hot coals to get there. The Guardai don't worry them too much right now, it's hard to see a new restriction being routinely adhered to or enforced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,108 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Many many people cycling along tracks.

I cycled through CG last week and cycled through the Luas stop as there was no space on the road. TBH I don't see a problem - if there's a tram stopped there, you can't cycle through. If there's no tram, any that are behind you will be stopping there anyway so they're not going to get delayed by cyclists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭cgcsb

And who is going to enforce the ban? is the state going to set up a police force between now and march 12th?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭StreetLight

loyatemu wrote: »
    I cycled through CG last week and cycled through the Luas stop as there was no space on the road. TBH I don't see a problem - if there's a tram stopped there, you can't cycle through. If there's no tram, any that are behind you will be stopping there anyway so they're not going to get delayed by cyclists.

Unless a cyclist ends up arse about face from cycling parallel to the tram track and catching a wheel in the groove.

Unless a cyclist ends up arse about face from cycling parallel to the tram track and catching a wheel in the groove.

that can happen anywhere there are tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭StreetLight

that can happen anywhere there are tracks.

But nowhere else is there a specifically constructed contraflow cycle track designed to remove the risk at that location.

You aren't allowed to legally cycle through there it's tram only.

If you can't see the issue then you be best taking a different route.

Traffic in the correct lane can't safely see the cyclists coming up on the left.

But nowhere else is there a specifically constructed contraflow cycle track designed to remove the risk at that location.

the 2-way cycle lane is only useful if you're going to Dame St, not for Nassau St.

That's just not true. Drivers won't break the law for the sake of a few euro. And the Gardai regularly hassle taxi drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

That's just not true. Drivers won't break the law for the sake of a few euro. And the Gardai regularly hassle taxi drivers.

They should stop 'hassling' drivers and instead start simply handing out penalties and punishment - the trouble is policing is so light touch here that they simply tell people not to do something again or not to do it, which is why the same offences happen over and over again on the regular basis.

The simple situation needs to be, is that if someone breaks a rule they should be handed out a penalty or a punishment for doing so, if that happened then all of the traffic offences I see every time I am in Dublin City Centre wouldn't happen anymore.

But right now the taxi drivers etc know if they break a rule that they will never ever get a fine or a real punishment because the policing is so weak and the most they'll get is a stern word and that's not what I think, that is from daily experience of commuting via the city centre at all kinds of hours for years.

Traffic this morning and evening was surprisingly light, buses were flying thru - didn't seem as many taxis, maybe they think it's already started

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

Whatever their reasoning, plenty of them (like every other class of drivers, to be fair) break plenty of laws (speed limits, contra-flow bus lanes, running red lights, failure to indicate, etc.) on a daily basis, so what would make this one any different?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭stop

Its a problem for traffic in the traffic lane that is not expecting traffic from the Luas stop at a choke point.

cython wrote:
    Whatever their reasoning, plenty of them (like every other class of drivers, to be fair) break plenty of laws (speed limits, contra-flow bus lanes, running red lights, failure to indicate, etc.) on a daily basis, so what would make this one any different?

This is just not my experience. Most taxi drivers take great care on the road and are keen not to rank up penalty points as it affects their insurance and potentially their livelihood.

As for taxi drivers pulling over to drop off or collect passengers, that's a different issue. This seems to annoy some other drivers, But taxi drivers won't break the law for a few euro.

This is just not my experience. Most taxi drivers take great care on the road and are keen not to rank up penalty points as it affects their insurance and potentially their livelihood.

As for taxi drivers pulling over to drop off or collect passengers, that's a different issue. This seems to annoy some other drivers, But taxi drivers won't break the law for a few euro.

What taxis have you seen as that is the funniest story I've ever read.

• Advertisement

Most taxi drivers take great care on the road and are keen not to rank up penalty points as it affects their insurance and potentially their livelihood.
    don't forget, 'most' can mean 50.01%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭cython

If you can claim in honesty not to have seen any of the offences that I have outlined as examples committed by a significant portion of taxi drivers, then either you view the world with blinkers, or your own observation is compromised to the extent that I can only hope you don't drive. Or perhaps you live somewhere that taxis don't really operate. Either way, taxi drivers are no angels, and certainly no more likely in my experience to heed road traffic laws than any other driver.

When it comes to picking up an opportunistic fare every taxi man will take on even a bus to be the first there and to hell with blocking the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

When it comes to picking up an opportunistic fare every taxi man will take on even a bus to be the first there and to hell with blocking the road.

Blocking bus stops is my number one gripe with taxi drivers.
    That, and the illegal left turn onto Parliament from Wellington Quay.

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Blocking bus stops is my number one gripe with taxi drivers.
    That, and the illegal left turn onto Parliament from Wellington Quay.

No enforcement whatsoever.

I've seen cars parked on Saturday and Sunday all day in bus stops throughout the city and not a ticket or clamp ever given.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

No enforcement whatsoever.

I've seen cars parked on Saturday and Sunday all day in bus stops throughout the city and not a ticket or clamp ever given.

Stop opposite Heuston Station in the evenings is ridiculous for this. Has all the 25 routes, 79's, Bus Eireann and private coaches as well as the westbound Xpresso routes and taxis often stopped waiting for and dropping off passengers while those waiting for busses have to step out onto the road to board, or even to just hail a bus to stop.

Surely if the guards had a motorbike or two circulating the city centre at peak times and at weekends enforcing taxis's they'd pay for themselves in a week or two in fines.

Stop opposite Heuston Station in the evenings is ridiculous for this. Has all the 25 routes, 79's, Bus Eireann and private coaches as well as the westbound Xpresso routes and taxis often stopped waiting for and dropping off passengers while those waiting for busses have to step out onto the road to board, or even to just hail a bus to stop.

Surely if the guards had a motorbike or two circulating the city centre at peak times and at weekends enforcing taxis's they'd pay for themselves in a week or two in fines.

They sure would.

Just seems nobody wants it done.

If I were waiting there for the bus I would have no problems telling them to move like all others should and use their bonnet to help get onto the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

A good example of the sort of considerate driving that Dublin's taxi drivers are capable of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REVWtV7yh_w

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Bus journey very slow on Tara street this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭thomasj

Phil.x wrote:
    Bus journey very slow on Tara street this week.

The quays have been a disaster in the morning all week as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

thomasj wrote: »
    The quays have been a disaster in the morning all week as well
    North Quays in the morning are stopped. Just useless, people are having to get off half-way down the quays in an attempt to get to work on time.

Green line LUAS continues to be a disaster zone.

Cross city LUAS runs through the city centre with what looks like half empty carriages, while all other form of transport suffers for this vanity project.

Meanwhile the Minister is nowhere to be seen, and the various three letter agencies are doing nothing. The commuters of Dublin have been left down so badly by our various public sector bodies and their political masters.

Yellow box junction at new bridge is been blocked at every change of lights.

There was a traffic cop on motorbike sitting on the Luas bridge but the north side and completely ignored all the turns buses and coaches couldn't make it off the bridge.

Dolier at is a mess.

The Luas has really taken over and I honestly only see it getting worse unless drastic measures are brought in.

hmmm wrote:
    North Quays in the morning are stopped. Just useless, people are having to get off half-way down the quays in an attempt to get to work on time.

Yep that's me , I get off 2 stops earlier otherwise not a chance of me getting in on time . Four courts-ormond quay is a huge mess especially .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The Luas has really taken over and I honestly only see it getting worse unless drastic measures are brought in.
    When the Minister gave his recent comments in the Dail, all he talked about was LUAS. No-one gives a damn about bus, cyclists or even pedestrians, it's all LUAS.

Got the 39a tonight at 8.30 and 2 of them are due (1 must be dead late) the full one pulls in and people start getting on.

The empty one goes to overtake it but I put my hand out for it , and as it goes to pull in so does a taxi. Anyway nowhere for the bus to pull in so he drives on

And here was my view of the journey home on the full 39a....... :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement