Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Changes to Improve City Center Journeys

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Taxis out of collage green. 24/7

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Phil.x wrote: »
    Why?

Because quite simply there isn't enough space and they don't need to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You could very easily force taxis to turn back from College Street onto Westmoreland, to turn around on Dame Street at the existing turnback just before the Grattan Statue, and to turn right from Dawson Street onto Nassau Street, and that would remove them from the most tricky parts of the College Green layout.

By my reckoning, if you did this, the maximum distance that a taxi passenger would have to walk from being dropped off at one of those turn-arounds would be about 350m (College Street to Dawson Street), which seems like a perfectly reasonable distance to me, and it's an extreme example anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

MJohnston wrote: »
    You could very easily force taxis to turn back from College Street onto Westmoreland, to turn around on Dame Street at the existing turnback just before the Grattan Statue, and to turn right from Dawson Street onto Nassau Street, and that would remove them from the most tricky parts of the College Green layout.

By my reckoning, if you did this, the maximum distance that a taxi passenger would have to walk from being dropped off at one of those turn-arounds would be about 350m (College Street to Dawson Street), which seems like a perfectly reasonable distance to me, and it's an extreme example anyway.

350 metres does not seem a reasonable distance to me!

Ernest wrote: »
    350 metres does not seem a reasonable distance to me!

If you worked in Arnotts, you'd have to walk at least 200m to get a taxi.

350m is literally the longest possible example, the average on-foot journey there would be much shorter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I have taken to getting off the bus at the Four Courts and walking the 20-25 minutes to Hatch Street. Just takes so long for the bus to get from there to around Kildare Street/Stephen's Green.

At least I'm hitting almost half of my 10,000 steps before I even get into work :D

Because quite simply there isn't enough space and they don't need to be there

24hrs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

24hrs?

Im not sure if many people notice, but every weekend night is gridlock also, with weekend warrior taxi drivers. Even week nights.
    Stopping anywhere they like. Like the Dame street filter lane for Georges street. Bang on the hazards and wait for a fair. Blocking the street. Not one F**k given.

Their behaviour is as bad as the rickshaws. At least the rickshaws dont take much space.

24hrs?

Yes , with the Luas and upcoming plaza it simply not feasible anymore. 350 meters isn't that far to walk.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Im not sure if many people notice, but every weekend night is gridlock also, with weekend warrior taxi drivers. Even week nights.
    Stopping anywhere they like. Like the Dame street filter lane for Georges street. Bang on the hazards and wait for a fair. Blocking the street. Not one F**k given.

Their behaviour is as bad as the rickshaws. At least the rickshaws dont take much space.

Yeah - many times been in Dublin City Center after midnight after getting Aircoach from the airport and the place was full of a massive traffic jam full of nothing but taxis - I assumed the journey would be relatively quick at night the first time I took it but I was very much mistaken.

• Advertisement

Yes , with the Luas and upcoming plaza it simply not feasible anymore. 350 meters isn't that far to walk.

But trams stop around 12.00/12.30 as do buses, so why the 24hr? is it to give the road a rest?

But trams stop around 12.00/12.30 as do buses, so why the 24hr? is it to give the road a rest?

Why are Henry St, Grafton St etc pedestrian only for 24 hours?
    It's just easier to implement, if you want a token five and a half hours at night grand no objections here

I'd leave taxis to have access on nights from say midnight to 7am or something, I think that's largely fine, and they'll only be mostly causing gridlock for other taxis between midnight and 3am, while the roads will be pretty quiet between 3 and 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

There are night luas services in December. You'd have to let taxis have night access 00:30 to 05:00 except December, no point really.

Wheety wrote: »
    I have taken to getting off the bus at the Four Courts and walking the 20-25 minutes to Hatch Street. Just takes so long for the bus to get from there to around Kildare Street/Stephen's Green.

At least I'm hitting almost half of my 10,000 steps before I even get into work :D

If you can, I'd very much recommend getting a Dublin Bikes subscription, as you'll be able to hop on a bike at Capel Street (presuming there are any) and take a fairly direct route up Parliament Street, Dame Street, and George's Street, to get to Hatch Street. Very little in terms of inclines to that route too, so it's not a sweaty one!

Even if the stations end up empty at Capel, you'll still be walking in the same direction anyway, and it'll be a less than 10 minute cycle vs a 25 minute walk!

Why are Henry St, Grafton St etc pedestrian only for 24 hours?
    It's just easier to implement, if you want a token five and a half hours at night grand no objections here

Because they are the two main shopping streets.
    College Green isn't a shopping street.

Because they are the two main shopping streets.
    College Green isn't a shopping street.

But sure all the shops are closed by 7 , by your logic we are resting the road for 12 hours .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

MJohnston wrote: »
    If you can, I'd very much recommend getting a Dublin Bikes subscription, as you'll be able to hop on a bike at Capel Street (presuming there are any) and take a fairly direct route up Parliament Street, Dame Street, and George's Street, to get to Hatch Street. Very little in terms of inclines to that route too, so it's not a sweaty one!

Even if the stations end up empty at Capel, you'll still be walking in the same direction anyway, and it'll be a less than 10 minute cycle vs a 25 minute walk!
    Aye, I have cycled it a few times too. Not a bad oul walk though. Actually just renewed my subscription last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Hugh Jampton

But sure all the shops are closed by 7 , by your logic we are resting the road for 12 hours .

If the buggers are kept out they won’t need any taxpayer funded infrastructure

Your talking like a defeated person...give it up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Your talking like a defeated person...give it up.

His post was focused on tackling your last point, while your new post quoted here is an non-productive post.

— moderator

• Registered Users Posts: 17,253 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Unbelievable the amount of taxis for hire occupying d'olier st right now, buses can't move

Came across an old article
    http://www.dailyedge.ie/how-small-is-ireland-1626264-Aug2014/

Point 5 is funny

God forbid the city was ever really busy

On another point, most European cities have small trams flying around the city quite successfully - what is the logic behind having a large luas (and larger to come) for a small city?
    Is it just a case of money and paying lots of drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

fritzelly wrote: »
    On another point, most European cities have small trams flying around the city quite successfully - what is the logic behind having a large luas (and larger to come) for a small city?
    Is it just a case of money and paying lots of drivers

I suspect the difference is those cities have a bigger network of tram lines and possibly a decent heavy rail network so each individual tram line has a normal catchment. Dublin is so poorly served by rail that each of our tram lines are quite long, serve a huge catchment area and also serve large p&r car parks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,458 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Did they change the traffic light priority at College Green over the weekend?

I got through quicker than usual this morning on the 38 bus. It was the first time I noticed a tram heading south-bound stopped at the signal just after the Trinity stop to allow buses pass through.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the week goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0205/938569-college-green-luas/

I wonder will a complete closure now take place.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2018/0205/938569-college-green-luas/

I wonder will a complete closure now take place.

So they're admitting that the Luas is the cause of all the congestion that didn't really exist pre Luas

And what exactly is the point of the Plaza (even the name is a joke)? To get people sitting looking at bars, restaurants and crappy old shops. It's nothing like the plazas you would see in other European cities surrounded by coffee shops, and all kinds of interesting shops and usually a good few interesting touristy buildings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭budgemook

fritzelly wrote: »
    So they're admitting that the Luas is the cause of all the congestion that didn't really exist pre Luas

And what exactly is the point of the Plaza (even the name is a joke)? To get people sitting looking at bars, restaurants and crappy old shops. It's nothing like the plazas you would see in other European cities surrounded by coffee shops, and all kinds of interesting shops and usually a good few interesting touristy buildings
    College green has touristy buildings - Trinity and the Bank of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Well I came through on Sunday evening and it was silly. The luas stopped at the lights. Then the lights went green for pedestrians. Then they went red again. Then they went green for cars, then red. Only then could the Luas go. Took what felt like an age to get across College Green and this was on a Sunday night.

• Advertisement

budgemook wrote: »
    College green has touristy buildings - Trinity and the Bank of Ireland.

Trinity College already has a big space inside lol

Advertisement