Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

• 29-11-2017 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭

Looks like they are pressing ahead with in during the first half of 2018!
    Iarnród Éireann plans a further and more significant timetable revision in the first half of 2018 to enhance DART frequency, off-peak Maynooth services and other changes, subject to a full public consultation process, and the approval of the National Transport Authority.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/newtimetable2017

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

The original enhanced timetable which was due to come in on December 10th is pushed back to May 2018 - but it had no 10 minute DART services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭thomasj

GM228 wrote:
    The original enhanced timetable which was due to come in on December 10th is pushed back to May 2018 - but it had no 10 minute DART services.

GM228 wrote:

What about the maynooth line?

The big issues there were always the off peak frequency along with last services especially Sunday .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I assume now that the pay dispute is sorted (have they voted on it yet?) they'll try and press ahead with the 10 minute Dart schedule.

thomasj wrote: »
    What about the maynooth line?

The big issues there were always the off peak frequency along with last services especially Sunday .

There will be extra Maynooths from next May (assuming that date does not change again) with Saturday and Sunday becoming a half hourly service, and yes there will be late Sunday services, same as the rest of the week (23.08 to Maynooth and 23.10 ex Maynooth). Most Maynooth services which currently operate to/from Pearse will operate to/from GCD except those which could clash with PPT services.

loyatemu wrote: »
    I assume now that the pay dispute is sorted (have they voted on it yet?) they'll try and press ahead with the 10 minute Dart schedule.

The pay dispute is not sorted yet.

• Advertisement

GM228 wrote:
    There will be extra Maynooths from next May (assuming that date does not change again) with Saturday and Sunday becoming a half hourly service, and yes there will be late Sunday services, same as the rest of the week (23.08 to Maynooth and 23.10 ex Maynooth). Most Maynooth services which currently operate to/from Pearse will operate to/from GCD except those which could clash with PPT services.

You've made my week!

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

With every dart being late, this in reality means we'll finally get 15 minute dart frequency - yay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,457 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

10 minute dart my hole. They can't keep to the existing schedule as it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Honestly I dont even see why they keep trying to push this 10min DART when they refuse to upgrade the physical infrastructure to be able to cope with it. This 10min service has been pushed forever but I wish they would honestly give up on it for the moment and focus on upgrades to the line itself.

GM228 wrote: »

Make's sense to use the turnback facility at GCD for Maynooth Line services when there's no Hazelhatch service there. Much easier for drivers to change ends and it doesnt block the running line as well.

• Advertisement

10 minute DARTs back on track.

https://lovindublin.com/news/ten-minute-darts--introduced-later-this-year
    While an agreement was reached through the Labour Court in April, the National Bus and Railworkers Union has said that agreements with drivers still have to be finalised before the service can be rolled out.

What does the plan for all day ppt services for plans to terminate Maynooth trains in GCD?

What does the plan for all day ppt services for plans to terminate Maynooth trains in GCD?

The idea floated was that peak PPT will exclusively use GCD and peak Maynooth will continue to operate as now, and that off-peak PPT and Maynooth will share GCD.

GM228 wrote:
    The idea floated was that peak PPT will exclusively use GCD and peak Maynooth will continue to operate as now, and that off-peak PPT and Maynooth will share GCD.

That's great news makes perfect sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭CFC007

Is there anything been done about extending the Hazel Hatch service to GCD. I thought this was the route mentioned in the section with Phoenix Park tunnel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,140 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

CFC007 wrote: »
    Is there anything been done about extending the Hazel Hatch service to GCD. I thought this was the route mentioned in the section with Phoenix Park tunnel?

i thought it already runs to gcd? is this not the case?

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words.

CFC007 wrote: »

The GCD services already operate to/from Hazelhatch or Newbridge during peak times, since the start there has been aspirations to run all day and that is set to happen in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,753 ✭✭✭cgcsb

progress is to be welcomed I suppose. Just shocking that the NBRU is setting the policy and not the NTA. But sure the rapid advancement of driverless technology means the NBRU probably won't be around by the 2030s.

cgcsb wrote: »
    progress is to be welcomed I suppose. Just shocking that the NBRU is setting the policy and not the NTA. But sure the rapid advancement of driverless technology means the NBRU probably won't be around by the 2030s.

the NBRU will be around for decades to come. they are going nowhere. drivers aren't the only staff on the railway and even then they will be still in that cab long after 2030.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 168 ✭✭dublinbuster

cgcsb wrote: »
    . Just shocking that the NBRU is setting the policy and not the NTA. But sure the rapid advancement of driverless technology means the NBRU probably won't be around by the 2030s.

surprise surprise SIPTU are more militant than NBRU
    posters round here have got to lay of the anti union cool aid, they are clearly clueless

• Advertisement

After many years of delays the long awaited 10 minute DART is to commence from September 9th*. Full 10 minute service is to operate between 7.00 and 20.00 weekdays.

*Subject to acceptance by drivers (which could be an issue due to talks taking place surrounding other issues).

I see that Maynooth line services post 9th September have been taken down off the website. Will we see them changes too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

After many years of delays the long awaited 10 minute DART is to commence from September 9th*. Full 10 minute service is to operate between 7.00 and 20.00 weekdays.

*Subject to acceptance by drivers (which could be an issue due to talks taking place surrounding other issues).

Would I be right in saying that other issues have been set aside to provide a dedicated day for the drivers at the WRC, next Wednesday?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

I see that Maynooth line services post 9th September have been taken down off the website. Will we see them changes too?

Just some minor adjustments to allow the 10 minute DARTs, despite being just a few weeks away it is not yet finalised.

Would I be right in saying that other issues have been set aside to provide a dedicated day for the drivers at the WRC, next Wednesday?

There are a few issues being dealt with at the WRC and none relate directly to the 10 minute DART service, indirectly however they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

There are a few issues being dealt with at the WRC and none relate directly to the 10 minute DART service, indirectly however they do.

Gotcha!

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Ireland trains

There was supposed to be a half hourly service to maynooth but i assume this has been deffered to December or cancelled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Common sense prevails at least its a realistic 10 minute schedule. Hope its not just a temporary before full 10 min.

What could drivers possibly need to discuss now, it just never ends...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That's great news that the 10 minute DART will be going ahead by then. Who is the source of that news & why does it only have to run from 7am to 8pm? I thought it could go longer than 8pm because demand could be still be steady at that hour of the night. There is a good few passengers who do use it currently after 8pm whenever I would use it from town sometimes. I could put the 10 minute DART from 7am to 10pm & then demand would drop off afterwards.

What will be the frequency after 8pm? Will it be every 20 minutes or what?

Also how many carriages will be in use for each DART train between 7am & 8pm?

• Advertisement

I'd say it would be just every 15m after 8pm. Also to be fair the luas runs at 12~15m intervals late in the evenings during the week too.

Another thing is that this could be a testing the water's issue as well as I know there might be issue's with those level crossings on the south side for example as well as wondering if it will be realistic to maintain a 10m frequency with the commuter's thrown into the mix.

Id say the commuter services to bray will be shortened to terminate at pearse.
    This would also allow for more commuter services

There was supposed to be a half hourly service to maynooth but i assume this has been deffered to December or cancelled

Not cancelled, November or December has been mentioned, nothing concrete yet.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Common sense prevails at least its a realistic 10 minute schedule. Hope its not just a temporary before full 10 min.

What could drivers possibly need to discuss now, it just never ends...

There is one issue currently under discussion directly relating to drivers (reduction of the working week), but several other issues also going through the WRC affecting all grades from last years pay deal.

That's great news that the 10 minute DART will be going ahead by then. Who is the source of that news & why does it only have to run from 7am to 8pm?

I'm my own source :)

I thought it could go longer than 8pm because demand could be still be steady at that hour of the night. There is a good few passengers who do use it currently after 8pm whenever I would use it from town sometimes. I could put the 10 minute DART from 7am to 10pm & then demand would drop off afterwards.

What will be the frequency after 8pm? Will it be every 20 minutes or what?

Frequency will be as it currently is after 20.00, there are aspirations to run a literal all day 10 minute service, but, one step at a time.

Also how many carriages will be in use for each DART train between 7am & 8pm?

Sizes will vary (4, 6 and 8 carriages), the unions have raised this issue at the WRC and the company have indicated there will be slightly less 8 car trains, but more 6 car over 4 car trains - the NTA have allocated money to return some of the longer term out of service units to service.

Id say the commuter services to bray will be shortened to terminate at pearse.
    This would also allow for more commuter services

No they are to stay as they currently are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,526 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I also remembered in my head that September 9th will be the formal launch day for the 175 with Go Ahead between UCD & Citywest. So between this launch of the 10 minute service for the DART & Go Ahead Ireland this day will be quite a big one for the start of public bus & rail services becoming evolved over time in Dublin.

Sizes will vary (4, 6 and 8 carriages), the unions have raised this issue at the WRC and the company have indicated there will be slightly less 8 car trains, but more 6 car over 4 car trains - the NTA have allocated money to return some of the longer term out of service units to service.
    Do you mean the 8200 returning to service and there is enough coaches to operate minimum 6 car trains.

Irish rail have updated their journey planner and now the connolly intercity services are there.
    Greystones to connolly now takes 58min to an hour.
    Ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I'm my own source :)

Frequency will be as it currently is after 20.00, there are aspirations to run a literal all day 10 minute service, but, one step at a time.

Can you clarify what exact issue the union raised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Irish rail have updated their journey planner and now the connolly intercity services are there.
    Greystones to connolly now takes 58min to an hour.
    Ridiculous

With little to no passing loops what do you expect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Is there an updated timetable anywhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭xper

I am curious to see if the (welcome) 10 minute schedule can be maintained considering "+5","+6","+7" appears extremely frequently on the Irish Rail app's Live Trains for any DART station on the second half of a train's timetable. Won't be surprised if the running times have been increased again to try and make it stick.

Would like to see an increase in weekend frequencies, especially Sunday, and especially at the outermost stations. An hour or more gap between trains in Greystones is totally unnecessary.

Hopefully 4-car DARTs are few and far in between - they'll cause delays at stations where half the waiting passengers are at the wrong end of a platform. Which does beg a question to those in the know hereabouts: why is it that current practice seems to be that DARTs pull up at the very end of the platform even if they're not 8-cars and the station entry point is toward the other end of the platform leaving a cohort of people scrambling to get to the end carriage? Dun Laoghaire northbound is particularly bad for this. I recall that there used to be platform markings and signs for different stoping points for each train length tailored for each platform. Why the change? Another sensible change, especially if we are going to actually have 4-, 6- and 8-car DARTS, would be for the platform displays to state the length of the next arriving train as is done on other systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

they stop at the same spot as the drivers use the screens on the platform to check the doors are clear.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Do you mean the 8200 returning to service and there is enough coaches to operate minimum 6 car trains.

Not all of the 8100 and 8500 class are being used at peak times, there can be half a dozen units that are free at peak time, some of which have been out of use for some time, that funding has been provided to return to service.

Last week I went past Clontarf Depot at peak time and I could see 16 cars sitting there in the sidings and that was excluding anything inside the depot itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,649 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Be interesting to see the affect it as in Merrion gate and other such crossings

the 8200s are unlikely to return now. it would take a hell of a lot of work to get them back in service, and even more work to make them reliable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

ted1 wrote: »

Be interesting to see the affect it as in Merrion gate and other such crossings

That’s going to drive people mad! I had heard somewhere they were talking about some sort of fly over/under there.. NO idea how they would achieve that, however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

That’s going to drive people mad! I had heard somewhere they were talking about some sort of fly over/under there.. NO idea how they would achieve that, however.

They were thinking about but would have had to CPO some of the church car park IIRC so it got binned by NIMBY

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

After many years of delays, Irish Rail are now changing their timetable ls to incorporate the delays. My usual morning train will now leave five minutes earlier to get in at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,538 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rebasing to reality has to be done sometimes.

One thing that may have a slight benefit in keeping to time on a more frequent schedule is that drivers shouldn't feel any need to wait for late passengers running down the platform

• Advertisement
Advertisement