Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Cert - English Poetry Poll 2011

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 summermemories

guys don't be banking on Boland again! I've heard that they want to stop students predicting poets (how silly of them) and so its gonna be total random selection. However saying that, Boland is up again next year, but the next time Dickinson is up is 2014...

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Dannnnn

GV_NRG wrote: »
    almost always a woman

Oh the certainty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Come on Kavanagh!!

How long do people would think it would take to familiarise myself with Boland? I did her last year but I really haven't looked at her since, and I really disliked her poetry. But people say she is easy to learn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Come on Kavanagh!!

How long do people would think it would take to familiarise myself with Boland? I did her last year but I really haven't looked at her since, and I really disliked her poetry. But people say she is easy to learn?

Kavangh...yuck:pac::P

Boland is easy enough to learn because her themes are straight forward enough. Although, you probably need notes of some description if you did the poems "Love" and "outside History". They have that whole mythical allusion thing going on, but besides that, she's grand to learn and write about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

_meehan_ wrote: »
    Kavangh...yuck:pac::P

Boland is easy enough to learn because her themes are straight forward enough. Although, you probably need notes of some description if you did the poems "Love" and "outside History". They have that whole mythical allusion thing going on, but besides that, she's grand to learn and write about.

Hmm.....I'll probably take a look next week then. I did Love, not the other one but that was one I only barely mentioned when I actually did an essay.

Kavanagh is very easy- simple themes, memorable quotes, very easy to group the poems together too.

Kavanagh is very easy- simple themes, memorable quotes, very easy to group the poems together too.

I have an essay on him that I might learn, but I still find him unbearable. I'd a different teacher to the usual one for him, and it was a disaster.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lukeo17

Anyone heard anythin about hopkins? he hasnt been up since 2004

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Flashgordon197

Bet your house on Boland. Look no further.
    A) she is a woman
    B) She is Irish
    C) she has never been on despite her being viewed as one of our best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Bet your house on Boland. Look no further.
    A) she is a woman
    B) She is Irish
    C) she has never been on despite her being viewed as one of our best.

Tell that to someone who only covered her last year and is now repeating because of it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

If Frost doesn't come up, I'm in trouble. Well unless there's a major shock and Kavanagh and Yeats come up.

I quite like Dickinson but I really don't know where to start writing an essay about her. I've looked at a few samples and just wished we had done her properly in class. I suppose I'll have to learn Boland to cover myself...

Not impossible to do yourself.Pick 4/5 poems. Get a book of notes. Get a sample essay. PM me if you need a little guidance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Alv_M wrote: »
    Eavan Boland! Every honours english teacher in my school reckon she will definatley make an appearence!
    They thought that last year too! :rolleyes:

NotExactly wrote: »
    Tell that to someone who only covered her last year and is now repeating because of it. :rolleyes:

I would not have advised you that last year given some of the poets were different . Cant recall them but while she was a possibility last year -this year she will be on but I have no insider knowledge, just a hunch and my hunches are usually right. Not the exact same poets on year after year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

They thought that last year too! :rolleyes:

Ah yeah, but she is *likely* this year, but don't bank all your money on her. At least learn the other 2 females and that way you'll most likely to be able to answer a question..

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    Ah yeah, but she is *likely* this year ...
    Oh, I wouldn't totally disagree, but then the examiners will have been thinking: "Hmmm, everyone predicted Boland last year, and she wasn't up ... so they will all be *sure* she's a dead cert. for this year ... sooooooo ..."

Do you really want to play poker with them? :D

As you say yourself quite rightly, hedge your bets!!

Also ... just because a poet comes up doesn't mean the question will suit you! Lots of people lose significant marks every year by trying to shoehorn the answer they are *expecting* to give into an unrelated question (which is one of the main problems with "learning off" essays). Don't tie yourself down too much, and be prepared to actually *think* and make the best use of what you know when you go into the exam hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,919 ✭✭✭Grindylow

Oh, I wouldn't totally disagree, but then the examiners will have been thinking: "Hmmm, everyone predicted Boland last year, and she wasn't up ... so they will all be *sure* she's a dead cert. for this year ... sooooooo ..."

Do you really want to play poker with them? :D

As you say yourself quite rightly, hedge your bets!!

Also ... just because a poet comes up doesn't mean the question will suit you! Lots of people lose significant marks every year by trying to shoehorn the answer they are *expecting* to give into an unrelated question (which is one of the main problems with "learning off" essays). Don't tie yourself down too much, and be prepared to actually *think* and make the best use of what you know when you go into the exam hall.

I'm only learning quotes from the 3 females, I don't know how people can learn essays off.. It makes it so unoriginal :P I plan on writing an essay from spontaneousness..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

ya might as well learn your 5 poets just to be safe. most of the time you only need to write about 2/3 poems really well provided they're relevant to the q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Fbjm

I only know Boland. Should I be worried? Should I crawl under my duvet and not reemerge until Armageddon has passed? Or is she, as everyone is saying, a dead cert?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

Lads, really stuck here since teacher didnt do Dickinson and I only found out this week Dickinson is likely.

So, anyone have a Dickinson personal response essay to post up here? Really stuck! Love poetry and Id love to do it myself but literally, no time :(

Fbjm wrote: »
    I only know Boland. Should I be worried? Should I crawl under my duvet and not reemerge until Armageddon has passed? Or is she, as everyone is saying, a dead cert?

Who else did you cover? At this stage, if you have any other "tipped" poets done in class, it would be worth learning quotes and themes for them. Give yourself the best chance!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Lads, really stuck here since teacher didnt do Dickinson and I only found out this week Dickinson is likely.

So, anyone have a Dickinson personal response essay to post up here? Really stuck! Love poetry and Id love to do it myself but literally, no time :(

How would anyone on boards possibly know how you responded to Emily Dickinson's poetry? :D

• Advertisement

xclw wrote: »
    ya might as well learn your 5 poets just to be safe. most of the time you only need to write about 2/3 poems really well provided they're relevant to the q

Can you write about just 3 poems and still get an A?:eek: My teacher was always pushing for writing well about 4 poems. I've really serious timing issues, so this would be great, provided you can still get high marks!!

Last year demonstrated its completely unpredictable and theyre taking a different approach.

Why not cover some poets briefly? Just in case?
    If not, do Boland inside out, until your singing her quotes in your sleep. Having said that, the time under the duvet could be put towards another poet.

Be prepared for the fall out if she doesnt pop up though.
    As they say, "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

Doing Boland only is extremely unwise though.....I do admire the guts though;) Seriously though, try and cover at least Frost/Dickinson

aranciata wrote: »
    How would anyone on boards possibly know how you responded to Emily Dickinson's poetry? :D

Haw haw.... :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Can you write about just 3 poems and still get an A?:eek:!

Yes it would have to be quality writing though. I'd recomend writing about 3 in detail then briefly writing about another 2, that's IMO though.

Who else did you cover? At this stage, if you have any other "tipped" poets done in class, it would be worth learning quotes and themes for them. Give yourself the best chance!:)

I can't even remember, I think I have some Dickinson/Yeats notes lying around somewhere; guess I'll have to root them out! They're meant to be tipped too

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    Last year demonstrated its completely unpredictable and theyre taking a different approach.

Why not cover some poets briefly? Just in case?
    If not, do Boland inside out, until your singing her quotes in your sleep. Having said that, the time under the duvet could be put towards another poet.

Be prepared for the fall out if she doesnt pop up though.
    As they say, "Fail to prepare, prepare to fail"

Doing Boland only is extremely unwise though.....I do admire the guts though;) Seriously though, try and cover at least Frost/Dickinson

Dickenson and yeats it is :)

Dickenson and yeats it is :)

Yeats is sexy ;)

I only know Boland. Should I be worried?
    YES!!!
    Should I crawl under my duvet and not reemerge until Armageddon has passed?
    No.
    Or is she, as everyone is saying, a dead cert?
    NO!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

If Boland does come up, be prepared for a stinker of a question...

If Boland does come up, be prepared for a stinker of a question...
    That wouldn't surprise me, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

How many people are actually learning/have learnt 5 poets?
    This won't apply to the Boland gamblers of course. :rolleyes: I know Dickinson, Hopkins, Boland and Frost - we did Wordsworth in school too, but I can't stand him (ANYTHING but Tintern Abbey :p).
    I'm trying to decide whether it'd be worth using 2 or 3 hours valuable study time to learn some Wordsworth quotes and go over him quickly just to be absolutely guaranteed.
    I had a panicky moment earlier when I realised that two of the poets on the 2002 paper had also been on the 2001 one. :eek: I really hope that doesn't happen to us.
    So. Should I learn Wordsworth as emergency back-up for my own piece of mind, or concentrate completely on the other 4?

English is *by far* the most stressful exam. :(

NotExactly wrote: »
    Yes it would have to be quality writing though. I'd recomend writing about 3 in detail then briefly writing about another 2, that's IMO though.

Well English is my best subject...I'll stick to writing about 4 for the moment, and if I'm stuck for time on the day...3 and a fourth in less detail. Hopefully it won't come to that though!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭musicloverx

Noel2k9 wrote: »
    I'm only learning quotes from the 3 females, I don't know how people can learn essays off.. It makes it so unoriginal :P I plan on writing an essay from spontaneousness..

I plan on doing that too :p

Ill prob study a 5th one this weekend just very briefly to be safe,.crazy how this question is only worth 50 for all you've to do, anyway good luck everyone, hope yer poets come up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

Can you write about just 3 poems and still get an A?:eek: My teacher was always pushing for writing well about 4 poems. I've really serious timing issues, so this would be great, provided you can still get high marks!!

yeah we had a chief examiner for english in one day to give us a talk and he said its better to write about 2/3 poems that are relevant to the question and its a better quality answer provided they're done well. you could mention one or two others but ya don't have to do paragraphs on them.
    put more detail and effort into hamlet thats the only thing you really have to know loads of detail on :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Happy.k

hey everyone, would anyone have a wordsworth or dickinson essey they could send me, my teacher didnt do them! PLEASE and THANKYOU!! ^^ :D - i have some history & art history essays if anyone wants them too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 lukeo17

So wat does everyone think about hopkins? i like writing about him and know his stuff but havent a clue about anyone else? :S

With so little time, I'm making the decision to study Frost (in the hope of answering on him), Boland and Wordsworth (who I really hope I don't end up having to answer one...).

The other two poets I've done are Yeats & Kavanagh. I know Yeats like the back of my hand, but, I won't be revising him due to the fact I highly doubt he'll be up this year after last year's appearance. I adore last year's question for him... Ah well :rolleyes:

Need to really be selective about what I'm studying in detail, considering there's the comparative & Hamlet question too. I don't think I've done anything bad enough in my 18 years to warrant none of the three I've chosen coming up. All three are due an appearance, so, we'll see :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 70 ✭✭squishness

bradleyboy wrote: »
    Theres no point trying to predict what comes up, new minister for Ecucation reckons he turning the leaving upside down and removing the "prediction factor" which would apply to history and english mainly! i'm sure there will be big surprises come next thursday!

:eek:

Not history. Oh god.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

With so little time, I'm making the decision to study Frost (in the hope of answering on him), Boland and Wordsworth (who I really hope I don't end up having to answer one...).

The other two poets I've done are Yeats & Kavanagh. I know Yeats like the back of my hand, but, I won't be revising him due to the fact I highly doubt he'll be up this year after last year's appearance. I adore last year's question for him... Ah well :rolleyes:

Need to really be selective about what I'm studying in detail, considering there's the comparative & Hamlet question too. I don't think I've done anything bad enough in my 18 years to warrant none of the three I've chosen coming up. All three are due an appearance, so, we'll see :)

It could happen next year but the exams were set long before the new government were formed.

• Advertisement

squishness wrote: »
    :eek:

Not history. Oh god.

Don't worry, it's next years crowd that are fooked in that respect!

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭what.to.do

:)

And the question on Kavanagh was GLORIOUS last year, too!

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

. I know Yeats like the back of my hand, but, I won't be revising him due to the fact I highly doubt he'll be up this year after last year's appearance.

:Dahh, ChristinaIndigo. . .please tell me you don't do honours maths. . .

Each poet has a 1 in 2 chance of coming up. . .

. . .If there are 8 poets, and 4 will come up, that means 70 possible combinations. . .

Only 5 of these combinations do not contain a poet who didn't come up last year. . .

. . .The only real shock this year will be if one of last years poets doesn't come up. . .

And get this. . .since the new English course started in 2001, Yeats, the National Poet, has been up only twice. . .

If you really know Yeats, I wouldn't leave him out. . .

:Dahh, ChristinaIndigo. . .please tell me you don't do honours maths. . .

Each poet has a 1 in 2 chance of coming up. . .

. . .If there are 8 poets, and 4 will come up, that means 70 possible combinations. . .

Only 5 of these combinations do not contain a poet who didn't come up last year. . .

. . .The only real shock this year will be if one of last years poets doesn't come up. . .

And get this. . .since the new English course started in 2001, Yeats, the National Poet, has been up only twice. . .

If you really know Yeats, I wouldn't leave him out. . .

I do actually :P haha!

I'm literally only going with the decision though because there is so little time left.... And, it has been said at every single LC cert open grind, lecture & even by teachers - that they wouldn't expect him. I'd put my money on the others first, and then take into account what you've said.
    His question last year was so nice...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭martyllia

My teacher said Kavanagh can come up again coz he was badly answered last yr.
    She also thinks that Hopkins will come up,but i f***** hate him :<

I'm doing Boland,Dickinson,Rich,Frost and if i have time i'll look at Kavanagh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

If Boland or Frost dont come up im actually going to cry in my exam chair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭r0cks0l1dd

Iceboy wrote: »
    If Boland or Frost dont come up im actually going to cry in my exam chair

:D

I'm hoping for Boland, Yeats, Dickinson and Frost because I hate Hopkins and can't remember Kavanagh. Never did Wordsworth or Rich.

Also, is it wise to learn my essays off at this point, due to the risk of not being adaptable, or should I just go over the notes A LOT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭BOHtox

r0cks0l1dd wrote: »
    :D

I'm hoping for Boland, Yeats, Dickinson and Frost because I hate Hopkins and can't remember Kavanagh. Never did Wordsworth or Rich.

Also, is it wise to learn my essays off at this point, due to the risk of not being adaptable, or should I just go over the notes A LOT.

Exactly the four I'm doing.
    Ny reasoning is
    Boland- so tipped to come up last year but her granddaughther was sitting the exam so she didn't come up
    Dickinson- last for on the course for ages
    Frost- Can't remember my reasoning
    Yeats- A poet repeats every few years and an Irish poet nearly always comes up. So Yeats and Boland for me ( leaving me a 2 in 3 chance if that's the case)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 nicenri

Hey,

All I've done is Kavanagh, Hopkins and my beloved Wordsworth and I plan to cram a little Yeats.

Can anyone reassure me that I have a good chance of getting a paper with at least one of those poets on it.....

I would prefer Wordsworth or Hopkins.

fml, poetry and comparative are all I've done so far :/

Is it worth studying Dickinson new before the exam?

Or should I just study Boland, Frost and Yeats?

Pleeeeeeeeeease help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

She's a bit heavy to be able to have a good knowledge on and be able to answer a full question on in 3 days. If you're really willing to do it, go for it, but it's not going to be easy without a teacher and you're better off refining what you know now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement