Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Games Night in Thomas House

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Simon_K wrote: »
    Oh god I just remembered.

OP, if you can get "cadillacs and dinosaurs" and "Ikaruga"... that would be awesome :)

Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Alien vs Predator Arcade, the Punisher, all those awesome later belt scrollers from Capcom... yes please!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    If I was going I don't think I'd mind playing someone really good, I'd learn a lot more than playing against someone with the same pitiful skill base as me.
    No joke there either, I find the genre interesting but impenetrable, to have a pro play a game or two, while the fights would be of a short duration it'd be informative

At my first meet up with the fighting game community I learned more about fighting games than I ever knew about them. It was an eye opener and they were more than happy to teach me.
    EnterNow wrote: »
    Perhaps the OP could have worded the conditions in more diplomatic way, but again, personally, I just read it as "this is going to be a night where we get together, have a few drinks, & play some games", as opposed to a full on tournament, & all that goes with them.

People who are good at games are perfectly capable of doing that as well though.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    People who are good at games are perfectly capable of doing that as well though.

I seem to recall picking Sagat in every match except the final, having a whole night on the beer singing along to music and cheering on the WWE games being played (including booing the FGC person who was doing well) and then sharing the drink with the runner up.

I personally had an excellent night and it was definitely fun and beer > competition for me, despite winning it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I know, I beat a room full of people, twice, at a beers. You remember don't you? :D

I just think all Bombidol was getting at, was just not wanting a full on tournament atmosphere. A few mates with drinks playing Mario kart atmosphere is more what he's getting at I think. By bringing the competitive sticks & rigs, it's getting away from that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

o1s1n wrote: »
    I'm not really into fighters at all, but would love to see high score competitions in shmups/run n guns and the like. It's not something which really exists in Ireland to my knowledge at all. Nowhere near the level of Fighter meets anyway.

Edit; doesn't even have to be just high score, I'd also love to see 1cc attempt competitions too.

Obviously I prefer shmups to fighters too, although SF2 Turbo will always have a place in my heart, but I do like watching some of those Evo tournaments - I have no idea what the commentators are talking about half the time but I can still appreciate the immense practice and skill that's required to get that good. It's great to watch experts in any field imo.

Would be cool if shmups had more of a presence alright.

I don't think anyone said they are not.
    I know, I beat a room full of people, twice, at a beers. You remember don't you? :D

Everyone remembers. :p Was good craic that night.
    I just think all Bombidol was getting at, was just not wanting a full on tournament atmosphere. A few mates with drinks playing Mario kart atmosphere is more what he's getting at I think. By bringing the competitive sticks & rigs, it's getting away from that.

You'd be a rich man if you got paid everytime you had to repeat yourself. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If this was SF4 or some other popular game, I could understand if you want a "tournament" for a player's tertiary character, random select, or all-Dan.
    Or maybe Rose-Ball.
    Or maybe what you're thinking of is what we "pro" players call a "casuals session" - no stakes other than pride, winner stays on until he wins 3, freeplay.

If you run a TOURNAMENT, which by its very definition is a competition, trying to exclude players because "they're better" just makes your tourney look like a sham.

And for the last time: we don't lug around rigs to play fighters! My Madcatz TE easily fits in my rucksack. My retro stick (Konami Hyper Stick for PS1) is smaller than an A4 book.
    I'm not sure if you're confusing us with PC players, or arcade cab owners...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

Forget about the sticks vs pads stuff the important question is...whens the DinoRex tourney eh?:)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,006 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dr Bob wrote: »
    Forget about the sticks vs pads stuff the important question is...whens the DinoRex tourney eh?:)

I'll never forgive you for what you said about that game in your video!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

At my first meet up with the fighting game community I learned more about fighting games than I ever knew about them. It was an eye opener and they were more than happy to teach me.

A "virgin" Retr0 in a room full of men, then happy to teach and him happy to receive...
    Surprises no one anywhere :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I feel like crying. ;)

• Advertisement

But in all seriousness. Come down, have the craic. Have a chat with me and lets figure it out.
    The night is now part sponsored by GPotato and they will be down on the night handing out T-shirts and the maddest looking USB sticks you have ever seen (in the shape of a sword, and they are metal)
    This event will run EVERY Thursday in September, then we will sit down and asses if its worth doing weekly or monthly.
    Im under the kosh at the moment trying to find BLEEDIN TELLYS and source the games I need. Consoles arent a problem as ive collected for a while myself and ill be bringing in my own stuff.
    But again, drop down and lets have a laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

so 1st night is 5th September?

5th of September, then every Thurs thereafter for the month. Then we will see what the story is. If its busy enough, ill keep it going.
    I'll probably be auditioning people to get involved in running the night. As Thurs is my only night off working in the boozer and my missus is going to kill me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you're confusing us with PC players, or arcade cab owners...

I think someone forgot their Xanax. I'll make this real simple for you K.O.Kiki ok, I think this is more along the lines of what the OP had in mind:

2iqis85.jpg

As say compared to something like this:

EVO-09.jpg

That's all, nothing more to it. No need to get offended, no need to be on the defensive, nobody is saying you can't play, nobody is saying you're excluded, everyone is welcome. There was maybe cause for that earlier on, but the OP explained his stance & made it clear that come one come all. The fact this sh1te is still going on is frankly, embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I think someone forgot their Xanax. I'll make this real simple for you K.O.Kiki ok, I think this is more along the lines of what the OP had in mind:

2iqis85.jpg

As say compared to something like this:

EVO-09.jpg

That's all, nothing more to it. No need to get offended, no need to be on the defensive, nobody is saying you can't play, nobody is saying you're excluded, everyone is welcome. There was maybe cause for that earlier on, but the OP explained his stance & made it clear that come one come all. The fact this sh1te is still going on is frankly, embarrassing.
    If we had an event even 1% as large as Evo, I think Doom would have a heart attack...

Ah, whatever. I was mildly interested, but now I'm 100% turned off from going.
    Enjoy your... whatever you want to call it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,553 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Thread closed.
    Pity really.
    I still think this whole thing has great promise.
    It's something regular Beers attendees have been looking for.
    And I hope it will be well supported.
    The tone here has gotten dark and unpleasant and has no place on this thread, d the forum.
    Partially my fault, I should have moderated the thread before now.
    If this type of nonsense arises again it will meet with a sterner response and I ask users to report such to either moderator.
    Thanks
    And one again, good luck with the night

Right
    Thread reopened

Why can't we all just... Get along?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I've a spare softmodded xbox running coinops complete if you need a lend of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

I'm happy enough to lend my GameCube network adapters for Double Dash shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

Well i shall be going and i hope this gets lots of support.

Boulder Dash and beer what more could you want:D

• Advertisement

bombidol wrote: »
    But in all seriousness. Come down, have the craic. Have a chat with me and lets figure it out.
    The night is now part sponsored by GPotato and they will be down on the night handing out T-shirts and the maddest looking USB sticks you have ever seen (in the shape of a sword, and they are metal)
    This event will run EVERY Thursday in September, then we will sit down and asses if its worth doing weekly or monthly.
    Im under the kosh at the moment trying to find BLEEDIN TELLYS and source the games I need. Consoles arent a problem as ive collected for a while myself and ill be bringing in my own stuff.
    But again, drop down and lets have a laugh.

If you check out adverts you might find a few CRTS going free. There often is.

I've 2 spare CRTS I was going to put up on adverts/retro market (a 20 inch and a portable)
    let me know if you're interested?

I will have a copy of warlords and a set of 4 paddles for the atari VCS btw if I can get along

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Shiranui

I would bring PS2 / 4 gamepads / multitap and 4 player games and tons of 2d fighters if Organizers will allow to hook up to telly at some stage.
    Finishing work at 18:00 in City Centre.
    I have 3 cables for connectivity: RGB / Chinch (Composite) / Component.

Dr Bob wrote: »
    I will have a copy of warlords and a set of 4 paddles for the atari VCS btw if I can get along

**** KoF2002. I'd go just to play 4 player warlords all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Simon_K

I have a ****ty 15" LCD TV that I can bring if there are not enough TVs to hook up, but older consoles will definitely look better on CRTs. And the viewing angles on my tv are really bad.

I have a DC with a VGA adapter, as well as a SD 4:3 monitor, perfect for Tate mode laughs.
    A bit of Ikaruga followed by 4 player Powerstone awesomeness!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Oh yes!

Motherf*ckin' Warlords!

Warlords-F.jpg

Will this be... a pants party?

• Advertisement

Will this be... a pants party?

Advertisement