Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

So go from 4S to Nexus or wait for S3? I came decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Dotsie~tmp wrote: »
    wait for S3

!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Interesting article:
    Samsung Galaxy S3 Release Date: 10 Million Units Reportedly Pre-Ordered; But Is Launch Delayed Due To S2 ICS Update?

At a time when there are constant rumors about a specific timeframe for the release of the Samsung Galaxy S3 smartphone, a new piece of information turned up recently saying that as many as 10 million units of the device had already been ordered by channel partner companies.

Can We Expect Galaxy S3 in April or May?
    Denying all previous speculations, South Korean technology giant's upcoming flagship smartphone was a no show at this year's Mobile World Congress that took place in February. But that didn't stop the buzz around the Galaxy S3. Samsung fans kept the rumor mills churning with speculations starting from the release date to the most likely features on board.

Samsung recently told the technology website The Verge that the successor to Galaxy S2 would be launched in the first half of 2012. "The successor to the GALAXY S II smartphone will be unveiled in the first half of the year, closer to commercial availability of the product... We cannot confirm the detailed information at the moment," said the company.
    So as far as the release date is concerned, Samsung's own announcement itself gave waiting customers an authentic ground to believe that the S3 will arrive in the first half of this year.

A recent report by ZDNet Korea said that the device would be released in April and it would hit the stores in July, in a bid to coincide with Samsung's sponsorship of the London Olympic Games. But a latest report by Android Spin has pushed the release date from April to June. This was the same site that reported on March 13 that Galaxy S3 was in production and would be released next month or, at latest, in May. But it's better to take it with a pinch of salt.

On the other hand, TechRadar, citing another leaked photo of the device, reported that Galaxy S3 might see the light of the day in May. "Thanks to the photo which was posted on the social news website Reddit, the Samsung Galaxy S3 is set for a May 22 launch, in London," the report added.

The report said the "official-looking leaked press image reveals" that the device will get "a new style with the front of the device sporting a two-tone white and grey design."

How Does Galaxy S2 Impinge on S3's Release?
    According to a report in Pop Herald, older Android phones are sometimes stuck with an older version of Android as manufacturers get more inclined to focus on new devices. As a result, customers are forced to purchase a new phone to experience the new version of the OS.

"Tech bloggers, especially the opinionated ones, agree that Samsung must reach the 100 percent 'Galaxy S2 with Ice Cream Sandwich' status worldwide before selling a new flagship device, like the widely expected Galaxy S3, because it is the best way to convince the buying public that Samsung doesn't abandon customers like other manufacturers," the report said.

While some Galaxy S2 owners are using the new Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS after receiving the update over the air, or through Samsung's software "Kies," or by manual update, "almost all customers, mostly the carrier-locked customers," in the US are still awaiting their scoop.

An unidentified employee of a wireless carrier told Pop Herald that the delay is possibly due to some rules and procedures that US-based carriers implement.

"Samsung's Ice Cream Sandwich for the S2 must work properly with carrier apps," Pop Herald quoted the source as saying. "They're already testing the new software and I heard it works."

Various reports surfaced last week about a leaked ICS update for AT&T Galaxy S2 variants. However, the path was considered a very risky one. Android Police posted a report suggesting that manually updating the Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket to Ice Cream Sandwich might "brick" the phone.

Whether it's the success of the Galaxy S2, the slow roll out of the ICS update on the S2, or whatever the actual reason may be for Galaxy S3's delayed launch, the enthusiasm among the awaiting consumers seems increasing every other day. Let's have a look at what the Samsung Galaxy S3 is likely to offer once it is made public.

Processor: Samsung is highly rumored to improve its processor in the Galaxy S3 in a big way. The rumors so far have suggested that a quad-core, Exynos 4212/ Exyos 5250, 2 GHz/ 1.8 GHz processor with 2GB RAM would power the Galaxy S3. The phone is also expected to get major speed boosts on graphics and incorporate some battery-friendly power-saving features with its latest device.

Display: Recent rumors suggested that Galaxy S3 will feature a 4.8 inch, full HD 1080P resolution display with 16:9 aspect ratio. Many reports even said that Samsung might launch the device as its first phone with a 3D screen.

Design: Samsung Galaxy S3 has been speculated to be thinner than Galaxy S2. Given that Galaxy S2 is just 8.5 mm thick, Galaxy S3 will definitely have a wow factor if it does turn out to be thinner than its predecessor.

Camera: Rumors about the camera feature in Samsung Galaxy S3 have gone too far, saying that it may feature a 12 megapixel 4000x3000 pixels camera along with features like autofocus, LED flash, geo-tagging, touch focus, face and smile detection and image stabilization features. The phone is also expected to sport a 2 megapixel secondary camera.

Operating System: Galaxy S3 is likely to be available in the market with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich, Google's latest mobile operating system. Rumors also said that Galaxy S3's TouchWiz would be an upgraded one and would include Samsung hubs for music, reading, games and apps.

Memory: With 2GB RAM, the next Samsung smartphone is likely to have internal storage options of 16/32GB. The device is also expected to support a microSD card up to 64GB.

Connectivity: Samsung's upcoming flagship smartphone will also likely incorporate LTE and Near Field Communication (NFC) technology. As suggested by rumors, features like Bluetooth version 4.0, assisted GPS with GLONASS, Wi-Fi with DLNA and hotspot functionality are also on the cards.

Battery: Samsung Galaxy S3 is expected to feature a 2250mAh battery.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Interesting article:

Linky No Worky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The problem with all these super powerful phones now is the battery. To me it doesn't matter how amazing the specs are if battery isn't going to last the day. Point in case is the HTC One X, it seems unsurprisingly that the battery life is not good.

It could be that the Galaxy S2 is the ideal spec for the battery technology we have today? Hopefully there is something new around the corner. I remember reading an article a while back about a new battery technology that lasted a week on a single charge, problem was it took 8 hours to charge and only lasted about 50 charging cycles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Totally agree. The battery issue drives me nuts. Yes, charge your phone at night like everyone else etc - but the odd time you might forget and then you get caugth out, or you have headvy usage that day or need it at night but it dies. Bloody pain in the ass.

I heard the Motorola Droid Razr Maxxx has amazing battery life. 17 hours talk time and days of normal usage. Why can't they all be like this? Makes no sense.

I did hear Samsung are working on a battery that lasts a week of normal usage, but don't hold your breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

If Samsung were smart about this they'd unveil it soon. Many people are looking to upgrade to the One X but holding out on news of the S3. If they don't give us some information soon, people will just get the One X.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

Zascar wrote: »
    I heard the Motorola Droid Razr Maxxx has amazing battery life. 17 hours talk time and days of normal usage. Why can't they all be like this? Makes no sense.

With a 3300 mAh Li Ion battery, I can see how. ;)

I'm sure Samsung someone will "leak" some official specs soon, as it's par for the course at this stage. I'm betting on an April announcement with availability in Irish stores late May/early June.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

If Samsung were smart about this they'd unveil it soon. Many people are looking to upgrade to the One X but holding out on news of the S3. If they don't give us some information soon, people will just get the One X.

I was at the HTC One X Launch last night and the guy told me that in the UK the S2 was launched a few weeks ahead of the Sensation and because of that Samsung got a big head start - and it really helped their sales - and hurt the sales of the Sensation. Samsung would want to get theirs out very quickly or they are going to be left way behind. One of the major things for HTC this year is the simplified messages, 3 phones under the same "One" umbrella, and three flavours depending on your budget and preference for (screen) size etc. My guess is they are going to sell zillions of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Despite being 31 with a wife, child and real world problems a portion of every day is spent worrying that the S3 won't be a good as the one-x

The best post ever. That made me laugh mate cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,127 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

This looks like it could be the real deal :)

59501c4293e7fdedbf73ce411e04fade.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

The May 22nd date seems to gel with the "leaked" images of the SIII I've seen around the net, so there may be some truth in them since that date is a running theme.

If in fact that image is real, holy God in heaven that handset looks beautiful!! I want, I want, I want!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

Rsaeire wrote: »
    The May 22nd date seems to gel with the "leaked" images of the SIII I've seen around the net, so there may be some truth in them since that date is a running theme.

If in fact that image is real, holy God in heaven that handset looks beautiful!! I want, I want, I want!! :)

Heres one of those recent reportedly leaked images
    http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-release-date-photo-64212

Great to see a dedicated camera button - very disappointed the One X does not have one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Will prob hit the shops early July? Giving HTC 3 months to make hay.

I hope the design is per the pic linking above, not the one in the article which is fugly.

They really need to depart from the very uninspired SGS apple 3G knockoff design to date and take a leaf out of HTC's book with the fabulous looking One Series.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

How funny if this were true?!
    http://crave.cnet.co.uk/mobiles/galaxy-s3-is-here-now-its-the-galaxy-note-says-samsung-vp-50007553/

A few quotes from it:
    But while Android lovers have been distractedly salivating over all that Galaxy S3 photoshoppery, they've failed to notice Samsung has already launched what it considers to be the sequel to the S2. Or so says Simon Stanford, VP of Samsung Telecommunications and Networks for Samsung UK and Ireland, speaking in an exclusive interview with CNET UK.
    "The evolution in S2 is already here, it's there, it's Galaxy Note and that is a really strong device for Samsung, globally as well as in the UK," he says.

The Galaxy Note is an enormo-phone-cum-mini-tablet, which includes a stylus for doodling in a retro throwback to PDAs of yesteryear. This 5.3-inch beast straddles the gap betwixt the biggest smart phones and the smallest tablets. It's both phone and tablet, says Stanford, who reckons its whopping screen represents the perfect combo of the two devices.

"The successor [to the S2] is already here, it's the Galaxy Note," he repeats, echoing the Galaxy Note exclamatory brand tag-line: 'It's Galaxy Note!'
    "Any successor to the S2 we will announce at a separate Samsung event when it's nearer commercial release -- if [there is any successor]," he adds.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bligh

Have seen the ad on TV for the note and was surprised at the lack of discussion on the phone

does anyone know if its going to be released by O2 here am tempted to move away from my iphone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

If that really is it in the Press Invite thing then im sold sold sold (i was sold before anyway)

There is a tweet from someone who actually help the S3 which confirms nothing but impy's everything in relation to that image:

Eldar.jpg

fionny wrote: »
    If that really is it in the Press Invite thing then im sold sold sold (i was sold before anyway)

There is a tweet from someone who actually help the S3 which confirms nothing but impy's everything in relation to that image:

Eldar.jpg

Pic looks like some mobile concept art I saw in the past, can't remember where, which makes me pretty sure its fake.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Inquitus wrote: »
    Pic looks like some mobile concept art I saw in the past, can't remember where, which makes me pretty sure its fake.

I looks like the magnetic concept that was bandied around some time back:

nokia-kinect-concept-phone-design.jpg (kinda anyway)

but im being optimistic here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,760 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmmmm......

I dunno about this one.

Pros:
    - Bigger screen is nice (though my SGS2 isn't exactly tiny)
    - Quad Core CPU (but again, I've never found my SGS2 struggling yet)
    - Better camera (I guess, but I've never bought into the whole camera craze anyway - I'm not a teenager and don't feel the need to upload every second of my day to facebook)

Cons:
    - STILL no status LED??
    - Poor battery life?
    - I'm not a fan of white phones.. hope there's a black one coming too

I'll wait and see what the final version is like but the Note is more appealing right now or maybe I'll wait and see what HTC come up with against it.

So, for me personally then it'a a big "meh!" so far! :p

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Hmmmm......

I dunno about this one.

Pros:
    - Bigger screen is nice (though my SGS2 isn't exactly tiny)
    - Quad Core CPU (but again, I've never found my SGS2 struggling yet)
    - Better camera (I guess, but I've never bought into the whole camera craze anyway - I'm not a teenager and don't feel the need to upload every second of my day to facebook)

Cons:
    - STILL no status LED??
    - Poor battery life?
    - I'm not a fan of white phones.. hope there's a black one coming too

I'll wait and see what the final version is like but the Note is more appealing right now or maybe I'll wait and see what HTC come up with against it.

So, for me personally then it'a a big "meh!" so far! :p

They have the Note in CPW, I had a mess the other day, I am all for big phones, but its mahoosive, too big I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Fonez in Galway have it Here and it is sim free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.led.notify&hl=en

Mind you, it will drain your battery even more.

If you are after Samsung Note then you can purchase it directly from Amazon.de

www.amazon.de/gp/aw/d/B005SYZ4SQ/ref=redir_mdp_mobile?tag=jungninj-21

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Rumour: Samsung rep has said the S3 will launch in May.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Right or wrong, maybe they're simply convinced the SIII has enough to trounce the One X in the eyes of the average consumer.

From a personal standpoint: Some of the specs on the One X seem pretty lacking compared to what's been rumoured for the SIII.

I'm fairly sure that someone will chip in and tell me that a faster processor, bigger screen, and higher resolution camera all actually count for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,820 ✭✭✭✭listermint

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Right or wrong, maybe they're simply convinced the SIII has enough to trounce the One X in the eyes of the average consumer.

From a personal standpoint: Some of the specs on the One X seem pretty lacking compared to what's been rumoured for the SIII.

I'm fairly sure that someone will chip in and tell me that a faster processor, bigger screen, and higher resolution camera all actually count for nothing.

this is true when samsung dilute the OS with their modifications cant stand their tweaks tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

listermint wrote: »
    this is true when samsung dilute the OS with their modifications cant stand their tweaks tbh

Buy S3
    Cyanogen
    ???
    Profit!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

listermint wrote: »

You might well be right.

But i think, right or wrong, many average buyers will see bigger numbers on the S3 (assuming rumors are true) and go for Samsung.

The screen on the One-X looks fantastic, and the shutter speed looks good too, but whether they deserve it or not...i suspect this years going to belong Samsung, again.

• Advertisement

I disagree I think HTC have done well with the One, and having such a big head start they may get ahead before the S3 even comes out. The One has been getting great reviews, the S3 would have to totally smash it to be able to top it again this year..

Advertisement