Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Inquitus wrote: »
    HTC always wins the aesthetics battle for me, I find the SGS styling to date a bit of an iPhone 3 rip off tbh, and I didn't like the iPhone 3 styling.

Agree about the SGS, I hate the look of the iPhone 3G/3GS and the SGS is even fuglier. The SGS2 on the other hand is a great looking phone, far better looking than the HTC phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Inquitus wrote: »
    The Samsung will undoubtedly have the better screen, probably a Super Amoled + 1080p display, but again there is a point where a screen is "good enough" and thats probably at the Galaxy Nexus display level which is a notch below the One X.

Only thing is the Galaxy Nexus display is Pentile and once you see that you always see it. I really, REALLY hope Sammy don't just use that same screen once again but go with a full 300ppi (or better) Super AMOLED display! I mean they make the retina display for crapple so just use it already!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,460 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

god's toy wrote: »
    Only thing is the Galaxy Nexus display is Pentile and once you see that you always see it. I really, REALLY hope Sammy don't just use that same screen once again but go with a full 300ppi (or better) Super AMOLED display! I mean they make the retina display for crapple so just use it already!

That's LG.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

That's LG.

Only Samsung could make retina panels for the iPad 3 that passed apples quality inspections, so at launch all iPad 3's had samsung panels. LG and Sharp have been working hard to solve their quality issues and are now able to provide the panels.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

That's LG.

The new iPad's Retina display was Samsung.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

god's toy wrote: »

Presumably there are licensing issues with using it. AFAIK its apple designed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Presumably there are licensing issues with using it. AFAIK its apple designed.

What would the licensing issues be? It's just a screen resolution. The only problem might be the name retina display which I imagine they trademarked.

What would the licensing issues be? It's just a screen resolution. The only problem might be the name retina display which I imagine they trademarked.

Its not just a screen resolution - the 'retina' display required a whole new design and has new technology:
    http://www.apple.com/ie/ipad/features/#video-pixels

You can be sure apple have the rights to this.

Though I'm sure Samsung will find another way to do it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Its not just screen resolution - the 'retina' display required a whole new design and has new technology:

According to apple marketing everything they do is new design and tech built from the ground up. The retina is really just a high res sips display from all accounts I've seen

Its not just a screen resolution - the 'retina' display required a whole new design and has new technology:

I'll be honest that link just looks like marketing fluff and Samsung have been making screens for donkeys, if any one came up with the design and technology to do it, I'd put my money on Samsung instead of Apple. But anyways, I wasn't talking about an iPad screen, I'm talking about a 300ppi screen in a phone. Sony have done it with the Xperia S so why wouldn't Samsung be able to do it because of licensing issues.

• Advertisement

I'll be honest that link just looks like marketing fluff and Samsung have been making screens for donkeys, if any one came up with the design and technology to do it, I'd put my money on Samsung instead of Apple. But anyways, I wasn't talking about an iPad screen, I'm talking about a 300ppi screen in a phone. Sony have done it with the Xperia S so why wouldn't Samsung be able to do it because of licensing issues.

Jesus.
    I didn't say they coulnd't do it. I said they couldn't use the same tech that they used in ipad because it was licensed to apple as god's toy suggested. Pay attention.
    No reason they can't use another approach.

That stuffs not marketing its legit.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

Haggling over which smartphone looks prettier is fairly redundant when the screen takes up so much of the front. Although i would probably concede that i tend to regard Samsung phones as feeling a bit more plasticy than some of HTCs offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Zascar wrote: »
    One X beats nexus hands down - I think I'm just going to go for it now rather than wait. There is ALWAYS something better down the line, you could wait forever. Only thing that would swap me is better battery life and maybe a dedicated camera button. One X battery seems to be ok, and the camera is excellent with very quick to shot, not sure its worth a several month wait tbh - might not be worth it.

Yes but the GS3 is SOOOO close.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

fionny wrote: »
    Yes but the GS3 is SOOOO close.

Is it?

Do tell us more...

Is it?

Do tell us more...

I have no hard facts other then all signs are indicating a may announcement, and this would fit with the release schedule of the GS2 last year. If nothing is said by the end of May I would be VERY surprised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

wernstrom! wrote: »
    Haggling over which smartphone looks prettier is fairly redundant when the screen takes up so much of the front. Although i would probably concede that i tend to regard Samsung phones as feeling a bit more plasticy than some of HTCs offerings.

Agreed. All smartphones look pretty much the same. And the HTC's feel good quality, the samsung feels like it it has to have a case.

Paparazzo wrote: »
    Agreed. All smartphones look pretty much the same. And the HTC's feel good quality, the samsung feels like it it has to have a case.

That too is debatable, I like the lightweight design of my GS2 when you compare it with an iphone4 etc... they feel like bricks.

That said rumours suggested the GS3 will have a ceramic type body.

I tell you one thing, with this constant delay and the HTC One X/S/V gettign very well received the GSIII would want to quite literally make me a cup of tea as a killer feature to compete

I tell you one thing, with this constant delay and the HTC One X/S/V gettign very well received the GSIII would want to quite literally make me a cup of tea as a killer feature to compete

Maybe but I think most people who currently have GS2's and want to change will be waiting to see what Sammy have in store... myself and the 2 brothers are in that boat.

• Advertisement

Maybe but I think most people who currently have GS2's and want to change will be waiting to see what Sammy have in store... myself and the 2 brothers are in that boat.

Ironically I would have bought an S2 in January had they not upped the price. The continued price gouging on that model has really put me off Samsung

Ironically I would have bought an S2 in January had they not upped the price. The continued price gouging on that model has really put me off Samsung

Wasnt aware they had changed the pricing, I see it has in face dropped price considerably on amazon etc... Is it the networks who pushed up the pricing?

Wasnt aware they had changed the pricing, I see it has in face dropped price considerably on amazon etc... Is it the networks who pushed up the pricing?

Nothing to do with netowrks I wasn't looking to buy from them I was looking at online retailers. pixmania etc.
    479 on there now:
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/10024873/art/samsung/i9100g-galaxy-s-ii-androi.html

it was 429 before Christmas

Never been a fan of pixmania... but is it no fair to think it might have been on sale before? I mean handsets generally hold their price pretty well until a newer model comes along.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

As already said Phones have now reached their peak - there is not much that they can really add to them. The top phones have everything you could want - its just minor improvements from here and soon no one will be that bothered, like the way few people brad about what laptop they have as even cheap ones are good these days.

Tablets are slightly behind so plenty of innovation left - its the reason that Apple brought out the iPad with so few components/features, so they can slowly add them in the iPad 2/3/4/5 etc over years and drive demand..

Nah, how many times in history have people said that about things...

"sure why would you want more then 1ghz proccessor" etc...

There is ALWAYS room for innovation's and improvements.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Nah, how many times in history have people said that about things...

"sure why would you want more then 1ghz proccessor" etc...

There is ALWAYS room for innovation's and improvements.

I remember saying that about my Desire
    Now I have 4 of the fcukers in my phone O_o

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I meant that phones have got most of the big major things like touchscreen, cameras etc etc - there is no big killer feature that is going to come out that makes us all very jealous we don't have it. Or am I wrong?

You can apply the same thing to computers too, I remember when they said that processors had hit a plausible limit and they just couldnt be improved on speed wise... how wrong it was.

I remember people laughing at me when I put 4gigs of RAM into my pc some years back... now its substandard (latest pc has 16gb of Ram :P)

Things always progress.

With phones there is endless room for improvements, better screen's, faster specs to allow better app's, fast network speeds, new interface methods... and im sure there is tonnes of stuff we never even knew we needed (and we probably dont now but will in the future)

EDIT: Ya i think your wrong Zascar I dont know what it will be but ill bet there will be more to come in the coming months / years.

• Advertisement

Never been a fan of pixmania... but is it no fair to think it might have been on sale before? I mean handsets generally hold their price pretty well until a newer model comes along.

Sale ? Please. Marketing semantics. Same trend was observable across retailers. Pixmania were consistnetly the cheapest by the way.

Zascar wrote: »
    As already said Phones have now reached their peak - there is not much that they can really add to them. The top phones have everything you could want - its just minor improvements from here and soon no one will be that bothered, like the way few people brad about what laptop they have as even cheap ones are good these days.

Tablets are slightly behind so plenty of innovation left - its the reason that Apple brought out the iPad with so few components/features, so they can slowly add them in the iPad 2/3/4/5 etc over years and drive demand..

I want an internal KETTLE DAMMIT!!!! MAKE ME TEA PHONE!!!!:mad:

Advertisement