Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Galaxy S III to be released in April 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭fionny

Zascar wrote: »
    If it's mid-late june I don't think I want to wait that long..

I highly doubt it would be any faster. I wouldve thought that time scale was fast personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

god's toy wrote: »
    Looks to be a small bump this time round, 4s anyone?

Still when quad core gets fully supported in Android I'm sure we will see the benefits.
    Would have liked at least 1.5 cpu 2gb ram and a 2500 battery

It'll have a new design, new SOC and a new screen so I'm not sure how you'd liken it to the 4 - 4s transition.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Zascar wrote: »
    If it's mid-late june I don't think I want to wait that long..

Yes but in two weeks, at least you will know the specs to make an informed decision.

I doubt they will be shipped to distribution channel until on or after May 3rd.
    I know we haven't heard anything about them yet. Total Secrecy. They put Apple to shame. I'm impressed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

It'll have a new design, new SOC and a new screen so I'm not sure how you'd liken it to the 4 - 4s transition.
    Tech wise was my point, its not a huge jump IMO. But hey I,ll be getting it anyway

Tech wise was my point, its not a huge jump IMO. But hey I,ll be getting it anyway

We dont know yet, that leak could be a spoof or could be an early dev model or anything.

• Advertisement

fionny wrote: »
    We dont know yet, that leak could be a spoof or could be an early dev model or anything.

lets hope it is wrong then

lets hope it is wrong then

Time will tell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Pretty happy that I went for the HTC one X now if that is the phone. Design wise I think the HTC is nicer.

tok9 wrote: »
    Pretty happy that I went for the HTC one X now if that is the phone. Design wise I think the HTC is nicer.

Call me an optimist on this one but I really dont think that that leak is going to be how it looks because it really is fugly and would be a step backwards from the GS2

• Registered Users Posts: 6,429 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

fionny wrote: »
    Call me an optimist on this one but I really dont think that that leak is going to be how it looks because it really is fugly and would be a step backwards from the GS2

It certainly looks to be a prototype alright, according to slashgear! :)

• Advertisement

marcbrophy wrote: »
    It certainly looks to be a prototype alright, according to slashgear! :)

Yup and this part from the article makes me feel much better:
    It’s worth noting that the leaked prototype is also labeled as dating back to December 16 2011, which means the hardware is already more than four months old. Considering Samsung is believed to be working on the new flagship to the very last minute, finalizing the branding in the last remaining hours certainly wouldn’t be beyond it.

Exactly, speculation gets us nowhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Trigg171

There is a translation somewhere were they reckon it's a dummy casing so the phone more than likely won't look like that.

The specs might be correct though.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭flugel

Glad I waited now as at least spec's will be known in two weeks.

Also hoping with a 4.6" screen with soft keys that the overall size of the phone might / should be smaller than the One X

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Four of a kind

Any improvements made to the camera over the S2?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Any improvements made to the camera over the S2?

Impossible to tell at this stage, the camera module in the leaked prototype may be different to what's in the final product. It does look smaller than the one x and I prefer the on-screen buttons. The fake case is a new one for Samsung, I wonder if it's going to be a completely radical departure - Eldar was fairly confident of the case being ceramic and I'm being to wonder if the colours on the invitation are related to colour options. A reach I'd say, but I'd like to see a blue ceramic shell on a phone as I love what Nokia did with colours recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The lack of a "plus" after the "super amoled" in the description would be a worry..

Other than that, I'm not so sure, nothing whatsoever about the processor, which i thought would be a bug selling point on fht phone..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

12MP Camera - oh great - cause we all know how more megapixels = better camera.:rolleyes:

If they don't have something very special to compete with the quality of the camera on the iPhone 4s, and the wizardry of the HTX One camera - this will be pretty dissappointing.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

All they really need to do is turn out something that looks about equal to the OneX on paper, or a bit better, and then let marketing do the rest.

A giant 12MP on the housing might help too: quality camera or otherwise.

• Advertisement

I simply dont think, that samsung, almost 16 months since they unveiled the S2 wouldnt have at least, a HD Super AMOLED Plus, and a quad core chip in this, not with the pressure they knew they were under, given the success of the S1 and S2, not the mention the Note and Galaxy Nexus. After the hype, the spec's i'm expecting in this are;

Quad core 1.2GHz+ chip
    4.6/4.7" Super AMOLED Plus
    12MP camera, at least as good as that on the Iphone 4S or ONE X
    Slimmer than the S2
    One big mutha****ka of a battery(>2000mAh)

A very nice design also an obvious one there as well obviously. As soon as phones like the LG 4X and HTC One X showed up in February, it was pretty obvious the S3 would have to have the specs mentioned above to live up to the hype around this phone. I hope samsung remembered that android users are not iphone users(i.e, sheep) and will switch allegiance between manufacturers pretty easily.

Dual boot between vanilla and TouchWiz would also be a serious plus, and would please everyone. A microSD card slot would also please users greatly(Let that in for another generation anyway..), as well as some sort of cloud storage solution from samsung (Rumours about this already, 'S-cloud', apparently)

Lets hope this isn't Samsungs 'Sensation'. They can avoid that by not launching a sh!t load of phones and then not marketing them particularly well. The importance of a clearly defined range can't be overstated. Having a few phones in the mid range is fine but keep the top of the end range small and well marketed.

I reckon HTC have got it fairly right this year, the ONE X, S and V all look very nice IMHO, and the ball is now very clearly in samsungs court. My prediction would be for just one phone (The S3) to be launched in early May, with a refreshed S2 coming within a couple of months as well, to sit underneath the S3

coldfire1x wrote: »

Still seems a bit dodge to me, as if its just some preliminary listing or something. Like, when i let Chrome translate the description, it reads;

11.9 (4.7 inches) Super AMOLED touchscreen with 16 million colors
    12-megapixel camera with autofocus, LED flash and face detection
    Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich operating system
    16 GB of internal memory, expandable up to 32GB
    Delivery: Phone, battery, charger, data cable, headset, manual (Note: exact scope of delivery are not known)

'16 GB of internal memory, expandable up to 32GB' This doesn't really make sense IMO. Presumably, it would be expandable by microSD, but if its only expandable to 32GB, it would only be able to take 16Gb microSD cards, which is rubbish considering the S2 can take 64GB microSD cards..

'

A teaser will be unveiled tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭dark_shadow

Interesting.......it could be anything:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Interesting.......it could be anything:confused:

It's SOMETHING!

I'm lubing up my F5 in preperation

A teaser will be unveiled tomorrow.

Very strange URL!
    Any idea what it means? :D

It's an anagram of The Next Galaxy.

It's an anagram of The Next Galaxy.

You're right :D

If I wasn't so hungover, I might have spotted that! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Twiki

From the html description meta tag:
    Discover how Samsung is about to challenge the way you view the GALAXY once more.

Advertisement