Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the first movie you saw in the Cinema?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

Technically Snow White in 1991, but my sister got freaked out by the queen's transformation and we had to leave :mad:

First in full was Beauty and The Beast in 1992 or so. Good introduction I say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Howard the Duck http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091225/

went to the UCI when the square just opened in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

indiana jones and the temple of doom. it was the parents brought meself and the bro and we were mesmerised, proper edge of the seat amazement. i kept shouting at the screen "look out indiana" and "they're behind you indiana" . in my mind it was just me and indiana battling the baddies, i didnt notice a packed cinema laughing at me. i was very young though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 183 ✭✭Rhiannon14

The Little Mermaid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

First I remember trying to see was one of those Land Before Time films ( I think). I know it was full though so didn't get to see it . Don't remember what I did see. Old single screen Kilkenny cinema ftl! First I definitely saw was All dogs go to heaven! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

Mine was jungle book (jesus upon searchin its been out since 1967!!:eek:)

So im guessin it was a re-release cos im sure my da took me to see it when my sister was bein born (would put it around march of 86) can anyone confirm that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Davedubh

The first was the black stallion in 1979,there were huge gaps between my first four or five cinema visits.Next was dirty dancing then ghostbusters 2 then jurassic park.After that it was pretty regular.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

Willie Wonka and the choccolate factory.

Sill love that film.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

The Last Unicorn; around about christmas 1982 in Ballyhaunis Cinema County Mayo.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084237/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

MW wrote: »
    I remember my Dad bringing my Sister and I to see Snow White and The Seven Dwarves when it was re-released. We were so excited!!! Back then there was nothing in the cinema to eat, so you brought your L&N Superstores bag full of cheap goodies. Them were the days!! My friends first film in the cinema was "The Addams Family" and I remember thinking how much of a seasoned pro at cinema going I was compared to her. I still try to go to the cinema once a week, of course now it nearly costs as much as a night out on the piss!!!
    Wow, that was the second film I ever went to see in the cinema! The first one was "The Love Bug", a silly film about a personified Volkswagen Beetle car.That was in 1981

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Mary Poppins, the Lee Cinema in Cork, some time in the early 80s. Whined at my dad to bring me home once the sweets were gone. I was five max.
    First proper film-going experience: The Neverending Story at a cinema in Leamington Spa in England. The year was 1984, I was six.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

I can't remember what the very first film I saw in the cinema was (I think it might have been some Disney film) but I do clearly recall 'Santa Claus - The Movie' being one of the very first ones I saw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus:_The_Movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089961/

Holy Christ, 1985! That's 22 years ago! :eek: God, I feel old! :D

The Power Rangers Movie, would have been 1995 or so.

I tend to lock that part of my life away for the sake of sanity!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I can't remember what the very first film I saw in the cinema was (I think it might have been some Disney film) but I do clearly recall 'Santa Claus - The Movie' being one of the very first ones I saw:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Claus:_The_Movie

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089961/

Holy Christ, 1985! That's 22 years ago! :eek: God, I feel old! :D
    I've a feeling it was actually out Christmas 1984. Ah 1984 - what a magical year for movies: Ghostbusters, Gremlins, The Neverending Story, Santa Claus: The Movie (if I'm correct), Nineteen Eighty-Four... ok, scratch that last one...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Snow White early 70's at the Savoy in Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Jeapy

Mine was "Babys Day Out". Our primary school used to go to the cinema once a year...ah the memories!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang in the Cinerama in Talbot St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Fooz

Annie in Kinsale Cinema (now a ****ty slot machine place).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

I think it was 101 Dalmatians

God remember the queues for the cinemas in the 80's

there was only 2 in galway - the cladagh and the town hall and the queues in the afternoon for the matine and agaian at 8 for the evenign show would be right around the building. youd be out in the rain gettign wet. No fancy 10 screen cinemas or nice pop corn. the toilets and building were always gross and the shop had taytos, bottles of coke with straws or scots clan and bags of popcorn. The cinema s had a balcony and the kids on top would throw pop corn on top of the people down below. the seats were so manky dirty. abotu 100 years old. some of the old seats were moved into the upstaires of the quays bar in galway. they are kinda cool now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

E.T. was my first I think.
    My mum was pi$$ed at me cos I kept looking up at the projector at the back of the cinema as there was a tiny screen with the film...I also think that I asked if it could be turned down!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭cazzy

robo wrote: »
    E.T. was my first I think.
    My mum was pi$$ed at me cos I kept looking up at the projector at the back of the cinema as there was a tint screen with the film...I also think that I asked if it could be turned down!!

Whats a tint screen ? Never heard of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Jerryc

Eat the Peach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Hmm, it was either pinnochio or michael collins. Both in 1996. Which would make me five.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

it was either teen wolf with me ma in rathmines or E.T with me god mother somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

The Care Bears movie (1985). I can barely remember it, but I remember loving it a lot and I had a poster. The cinema was in Fairview at the time. I also remember going there to see Home Alone and Batman.
    Then the 10 screen UCI opened in Coolock and we all marveled at such a wonder. That was about the same time as Robin Hood, Prince of thieves came out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Pigletlover

All Dogs go to Heaven when I was 5 or 6. It was back in the days when the cinema was only on a couple of nights a week so it was packed, people had to sit on the floor and everything. I don't remember much of the film, just leaving the cinema balling crying :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭*Page*

I think i had been to see a few before this but the furthest memory i have is Last of the High Kings...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Celticfire

"When the north wind blows" @ the ambassador cinema Dublin......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Bean, in UCI in the square!, ah good times!!!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Pete's Dragon - 1977
    Then... Star Wars!! (same year)

Advertisement