Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What was the first movie you saw in the Cinema?

Options
  • 08-11-2007 11:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

I remember my Dad bringing my Sister and I to see Snow White and The Seven Dwarves when it was re-released. We were so excited!!! Back then there was nothing in the cinema to eat, so you brought your L&N Superstores bag full of cheap goodies. Them were the days!! My friends first film in the cinema was "The Addams Family" and I remember thinking how much of a seasoned pro at cinema going I was compared to her. I still try to go to the cinema once a week, of course now it nearly costs as much as a night out on the piss!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Big Tone

I remember as a young kid being blown away by Jaws in 1975 and Star Wars in 1977 after that Battlestar Galactica movies in the late 70s early 80s era.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Kurumba

The Golden Child with Eddie Murphy, it was Christmas time and bloody freezing and we queued on O'Connell street to get in, but we didn't mind cos we were too busy looking at the Christmas lights. We were brought to McDonalds across the road after, thrilled with ourselves we were!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

my mam bought me and my brother to see "the adams family" thought it was the job!! and then we got to got to macdonalds ater it! ah those were the days indeed!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,295 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Bambi was the first I can remember. I remember very clearly being 8 or 9going to a children's (!) Saturday matinee and seeing some random film about a Robin Hood type character, and someone was put in a dungeon where a spiked ceiling descended slowly on the unfortunate character - every since I can't look at things like barbed wire or spiked railings. It makes me feel queasy just thinking about it. ugh. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

MW wrote: »
    I remember my Dad bringing my Sister and I to see Snow White and The Seven Dwarves when it was re-released.

Wonder was that around the same time as my first cinema trip?? I could swear it was Snow White... definitely a disney anyway.
    Mad... we got those wee boxes of fruit pastilles

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Batman. Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Yikes! OK... B!ue looks at ceiling. Takes a sip of java. Pulls at chin. I think I know! "The Little Mermaid." Geeeeeez, I was around 5 or 6 then methinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I am pretty sure it was the Sound of music at the carlton cinema in o connel street .Snow white was another around the same time , you were not cool if you hadn't seen it ....:)

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭R33F

Big Tone wrote: »
    I remember as a young kid being blown away by Jaws in 1975 and Star Wars in 1977 after that Battlestar Galactica movies in the late 70s early 80s era.

I remember being taken to Star Wars as a youngster !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

As far as my hazy brain will allow....I think it was Star Wars: Empire Strikes Back.

I remember being so upset that Han Solo was frozen in carbonite.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

The Jungle Book I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Lizzykins

The Sound of Music in the Kenilworth sometime in the 1960s. When I saw it on TV again in the 1980s all I could remember was the opening scene!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

think it was 1985, i was 6 or 7, my dad took me to the late show of james bond, 'view to a kill', was probably at the cinema before that, but thats the one i remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Ghostbusters 2 I think..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

First one I remember is Star wars,1977 I think.
    Have vague memories of crying when Jaws got killed:D, but surely I was too young to get in to Jaws (5yrs old !!)
    Those were the days when there was only 1 mcdonalds in Ireland, and it was an event in its self to go there.
    So to get cinema and Mcdonalds on the same day was amazing.
    Imagine saying that to a kid now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Probably Mary Poppins or The Sound Of Music :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

The first I can remember seeing was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when on holiday in New York in 1990.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

The first one I remember going to the cinema to see is The little mermaid. It was for my birthday which is in January so by looking at wikipedia that must have been 1990. (It was released at the end of 1989.) Therefore it was my 6th birthday. I remember my mum made sweety bags for everyone and little bags of popcorn and dunnes coke or red lemonade or something. Good times!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

The Jungle book or ET.
    Can't remember which though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

starn wrote: »
    Batman. Ever dance with the devil in the pale moon light

Classic :D:):D

Dunno if this is my first but its my earliest memory of the cinema.... GhostBusters!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

A dogs life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

The first i remember was who framed Roger Rabbit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

The Lion King for my third birthday. Damn it was good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Robinson Crusoe in a cinema in Portarlington in the early 80s. Now I've no idea why it was being shown as there hadn't been a Robinson Crusoe film made for a years and years. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭gidget

Gremlins. i remember wanting to find Gizmo for sale somewhere in a shop after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Holmer

Bavck to the future. Although I was only about 5, so didn't really understand about time paradoxes or the like. Loved the delorean though

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I think it was Willow in the late 80s or something. Still probably the most boring film I've watched in the cinema

I think it's just ahead of the Never Ending Story which was my second film:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Star Wars (1977)

dobsdave wrote:
    Have vague memories of crying when Jaws got killed, but surely I was too young to get in to Jaws (5yrs old !!)
    I remember several classmates in national school going to see Jaws although I think it was a 15 cert. They weren't as strict then especially if the underage person was with adults.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

gidget wrote: »
    Gremlins. i remember wanting to find Gizmo for sale somewhere in a shop after it.

Actually now that i remember Gremlins was my first film then who framed Roger Rabbir a few years later. I got the sweatshirt to tie in with the film!

Advertisement