Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

He'll either blaze it or go belly up, the leaderboard is stacked at end of R3 and 16players within contention.
    Twice as short odds as anyone to win, but from memory wasn't near that from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

He'll either blaze it or go belly up, the leaderboard is stacked at end of R3 and 16players within contention. Twice as short odds as anyone to win, but from memory wasn't near that from the start.

Ten players (all good) within 3 shots of the lead. Between them they will hit 650-700 shots today so lots of scope for both brilliance and errors.

Someone will win; that won't mean the other nine have character flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Panrich

There’s one thing that is a certainty. If Rory wins tonight it will not be a dull straightforward ground out victory.

There will probably be drama either way as that is the way he plays the game. He’s not the type to close it out with percentage golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

We had two of the biggest lead chokers (IMO) play badly today so I am quite interested how Rory plays with no other top 10 players around him and in a non major event in the last group

He needs to win this one. If he shoots 3 or 4 under today and gets beat by someone shooting a big score then fine. But if he shoots level or 1 over then it's not a good omen for his mental game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Has to produce it again tomorrow of course, but he must be brimming with confidence. Wedge play looked first rate today.
    Yeah. The wedge play has been hot and cold, but it's starting to look well dialled in now. Some absolute stunners yesterday. Even the longer irons looked good. The course is firming up though and he'll need his absolute A game to keep scoring like he did yesterday. As will the rest of the field. The point about Matt FitzPatrick above is well made. He's not just a Steady Eddy though, he's a very accomplished golfer and well capable of capitalising on a birdy chance and limiting the damage when it goes wrong. Will be interesting. Felt sorry for Fleetwood. othing went right for him. I often think that playing with Keegan Bradley is the kiss of death. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I don’t know what the stats say but the good wedge shots i remember last night, particularly on 18, were around the 140-150 mark. Not that I’d be in any position to tell him how to play the game, god forbid, but i do feel much more confident watching him from that distance rather than those awkward ones from 100 or shorter. The less he leaves of those, the better for my nerves anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

backspin. wrote: »
    He needs to win this one. If he shoots 3 or 4 under today and gets beat by someone shooting a big score then fine. But if he shoots level or 1 over then it's not a good omen for his mental game.

Exactly. If he loses playing well but someone else played better, then he’ll be somewhat ok with that. But if he doesn’t perform then he’ll have that gnawing at him going into Augusta.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

I don’t know what the stats say but the good wedge shots i remember last night, particularly on 18, were around the 140-150 mark. Not that I’d be in any position to tell him how to play the game, god forbid, but i do feel much more confident watching him from that distance rather than those awkward ones from 100 or shorter. The less he leaves of those, the better for my nerves anyway.
    I thought it was around 130 yards and in that was where he was having issues. Wayne Riley was talking about him to Nick Dougherty after the golf was over last night and he was explaining what had been going wrong with Rory's wedges. I was only half listening, but the general gist was that he'd been coming into the ball steeper and it was affecting distance and direction and now he's getting a much more consistent connection. But I know I don't have that exactly, so if anyone else was listening, I'd be obliged if you could fill in he gaps. :o

prawnsambo wrote: »
    I thought it was around 130 yards and in that was where he was having issues. Wayne Riley was talking about him to Nick Dougherty after the golf was over last night and he was explaining what had been going wrong with Rory's wedges. I was only half listening, but the general gist was that he'd been coming into the ball steeper and it was affecting distance and direction and now he's getting a much more consistent connection. But I know I don't have that exactly, so if anyone else was listening, I'd be obliged if you could fill in he gaps. :o

Didn’t see that but yeah, it is that range has been the issue. Just my unscientific impression but i feel much better about him having fuller shots, dont think he’d be alone in having problems with the awkward shorter distances. Obviously been working hard on it and hopefully seeing the results now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

As mentioned earlier, so long as he's under par for the round, I don't mind if he wins or not.

It's that weekend in April that has his head in a spin and getting that monkey of his back will set him up for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Didn’t see that but yeah, it is that range has been the issue. Just my unscientific impression but i feel much better about him having fuller shots, dont think he’d be alone in having problems with the awkward shorter distances. Obviously been working hard on it and hopefully seeing the results now.

Yeah even DJ finds them tricky, he done a piece with meandmygolf a while back and wasn't great from 50 yards but said that he never practices them as he almost never leaves himself that range. I'd imagine Rory plays similar but something he may need to focus on more.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Yeah even DJ finds them tricky, he done a piece with meandmygolf a while back and wasn't great from 50 yards but said that he never practices them as he almost never leaves himself that range. I'd imagine Rory plays similar but something he may need to focus on more.

There are times i see him launching a missile off the tee and leaving himself that 100 range or less and asking myself why not hold back a bit and leave a more comfortable longer range? Obviously i only see a small fraction of his shots so cant say that’s a regular thing, it may well be not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,261 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Fitzpatrick drained a nice one, Mcillroy then misses an easy enough chance. Back to 1 behind

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Mushy wrote: »
    Fitzpatrick drained a nice one, Mcillroy then misses an easy enough chance. Back to 1 behind

Shouldn't have gone flag hunting imo...take the two putt birdie.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Robbed there

GreeBo wrote: »
    Shouldn't have gone flag hunting imo...take the two putt birdie.

Could be a flaw in his game, trying the spectacular.

Fitzpatrick caddy with a huge Leeds logo on his hat, I can support that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,841 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Mushy wrote: »
    Could be a flaw in his game, trying the spectacular.

Fitzpatrick caddy with a huge Leeds logo on his hat, I can support that

He just goes for everything. Its part of what makes him great to watch but he needs to be smart, that was a seriously risky shot to play into the 6th.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

No birdie on either par 5, hopefully won’t cost him

Needs to capitalise. Lots of good scores coming in

Didn't think it'd be the longer irons to halt him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Dr Devious

Is it not time for people to accept the Mcillroy is not the messiah but just another good golfer?

Watching him putt in the local, for all that power off the tee he gives it back on the greens. Alarming lack of touch, the green jacket will wait another year.

He’s a huge slap off the tee and that’s pretty much it, the closer to the hole the more ordinary he becomes. The next frustrated move will be getting rid of a Michael Bannon not that it’ll make any difference, the boy just can’t putt to save his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,829 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Some of the posts are a bit strange.

I'd say Rory will win a major this year.

In your opinion, his short game is average at best. Which lengthens the odds somewhat on adding to major haul.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Dr Devious wrote: »
    He’s a huge slap off the tee and that’s pretty much it, the closer to the hole the more ordinary he becomes. The next frustrated move will be getting rid of a Michael Bannon not that it’ll make any difference, the boy just can’t putt to save his life.

You don’t get 4 majors and countless wins without being able to putt! It’s the consistency in the short stick that’s the issue. He was excellent yesterday and in the final round in Mexico

If you see him winning anything, even a major then it’s purely based on a hunch, even the most misguided follower couldn’t make a case for him based on what he’s doing on the golf course.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,829 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

In your opinion, his short game is average at best. Which lengthens the odds somewhat on adding to major haul.

But , why do people think he can't fix these things.

Its bizarre.

Every pro out there fixes stuff. Yet for some strange reason Rory is doomed.

Yes the forum is about Opinions , some are accurate , some are daft.

If people are saying Rory will not win a major again - you know what to think of their opinions. They also don't understand that there is so much more to golf than " he can't putt". You can win majors by gaining tee to green.

But anyway
    He can putt
    He can fix any issue in his game
    He will win another (IMO)

Dr Devious wrote: »
    If you see him winning anything, even a major then it’s purely based on a hunch, even the most misguided follower couldn’t make a case for him based on what he’s doing on the golf course.

He has had 5 out of 5 top 5’s this season, you would currently be picking him for a major above most players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,300 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

But , why do people think he can't fix these things.

Its bizarre.

Every pro out there fixes stuff. Yet for some strange reason Rory is doomed.

Yes the forum is about Opinions , some are accurate , some are daft.

If people are saying Rory will not win a major again - you know what to think of their opinions. They also don't understand that there is so much more to golf than " he can't putt". You can win majors by gaining tee to green.

But anyway
    He can putt
    He can fix any issue in his game
    He will win another (IMO)

Now this is daft.

With improvements in the lengths all the top players hit the ball, the short game is often the difference between winning and not winning.

He can putt, at times, but not consistently, too often his touch on the green deserts him. And so far he has not been able to fix this issue in his game, I don’t see how you are so sure he can do more than he is already doing to address this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement