Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rory McIlroy - 4 Time Major Winner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,354 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

gmisk wrote: »
    I think that is ridiculously harsh.
    His last 4 tournaments he has finished.
    2nd, tied 4th, tied 5th, tied 4th
    Very few other golfers are that consistent.
    To say he is not in top 8 is imo nonsense.

Don’t feed it. You just need to read the rest of the...contributions...to know what he’s up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Can't fault him today but when DJ opened the door, Rory didn't step through.

Just needs to be a bit more clinical. 4 top 5 finishes but at his level, that's what you need to stop going backwards in the world rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,126 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Consistent from 2nd to 5th.He needs to win again which seems he is incapable of.I hope I am wrong,but I cannot see him win a major this year or possibly ever again.

He just finished 2nd in a WGC event that had most of the top golfers at it, I'm not saying he will definitely win another major but he will certainly be in contention for some

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

gmisk wrote: »
    I think that is ridiculously harsh.
    His last 4 tournaments he has finished.
    2nd, tied 4th, tied 5th, tied 4th
    Very few other golfers are that consistent.
    To say he is not in top 8 is imo nonsense.
    Especially since he's just jumped two places to sixth in the world. :D

Interesting to note that he's already got almost half of the top 10 finishes this year that he had last year. 4/4 this year against 10/25 last year (one win). Some wins needed now, but you have to be in the running first and he's getting there. Will be interesting to see how he goes at Bay Hill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Especially since he's just jumped two places to sixth in the world. :D

Interesting to note that he's already got almost half of the top 10 finishes this year that he had last year. 4/4 this year against 10/25 last year (one win). Some wins needed now, but you have to be in the running first and he's getting there. Will be interesting to see how he goes at Bay Hill.

Given what he said in the interview a few posts back, he will no doubt be a little frustrated that he couldn’t put more pressure on DJ in the final group. That is 7 in a row now where he didn’t really challenge the winner, but at least he held onto 2nd place.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

I think he played fairly well over the weekend, but he just wasn’t really getting close enough to the pin to make it count. If he can tidy that up a bit along with his putting then who knows.... it would be great to see him winning again.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

Second is all he could hope for and is capable of!

Doubt he'll even win a top event again, and I hope he does not either.

galwayllm wrote: »

:D

Bit like the Galway footballers then.

While I have kinda agreed with some of what you posted earlier, this isn’t one of your best.

He certainly is most capable of winning, and with a bit of luck and more focus he could have won. DJ is a superb player and he stands along with Mcilroy on a he top tier of golf. If anything this just shows how tight the margins are at the top. It literally is whoever brings their A game, the others need theirs to stay with the winner.

He will definitely win again, whether he wins consistently or adds to his majors really depends on whether he can do something with his short game. It was astonishing to see a top golfer miss the green from 61 yards on the 10th.

• Advertisement

Bottle wrote: »
    I think he played fairly well over the weekend, but he just wasn’t really getting close enough to the pin to make it count. If he can tidy that up a bit along with his putting then who knows.... it would be great to see him winning again.
    Thought his approach game has improved considerably of late. Putting is improving, but that needs to improve more. He's moved up the ranks in SG putting from 60th to 42nd this week on the PGA tour, so it's going in the right direction. Consistency was always an issue for him, but four top fives in four starts is pretty good. But it's too early to say at this stage, just that there is an improvement and it needs to keep going. Even small increments would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Rory is a great player, a super talent but I think many believe he's underachieved related to his ability.

I wonder if his mindset and attitude may be affecting him. One thing I've noticed is his reaction to bad shots or shots that end up not exactly where he wanted them. He does this over the top, ironic laughing, gasp in disbelieve thing which is just a bit silly. Its not just once a round, he seems to do it a lot. Its like an attitude of " I cant believe that happened I hit a perfect shot". It may be his way of dealing with a mis hit rather than facing the truth but to me it looks a bit odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

He finished second in the Open and was leading the Masters at one point in the final round when his putting then completely deserted him. You would swear he has done nothing in the majors in recent years.

Be very surprised if he is not there or thereabouts come Augusta.

He has definitely forgotten that killer instinct he used to have. He is playing the best golf he has played since 2014, he just needs to close the deal once or twice and I think he will start winning regularly again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

It's this type of drivel that undermines the criticisms of McIlroy that are in fact warranted. It's a pity that people waste their time to add nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭glack

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    It's this type of drivel that undermines the criticisms of McIlroy that are in fact warranted. It's a pity that people waste their time to add nothing.

I just can't understand people that clearly dislike him so much bothering to reply to a thread all about him?

I personally think he is trending towards top form which we haven't seen in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Dav010 wrote: »
    While I have kinda agreed with some of what you posted earlier, this isn’t one of your best.

He certainly is most capable of winning, and with a bit of luck and more focus he could have won. DJ is a superb player and he stands along with Mcilroy on a he top tier of golf. If anything this just shows how tight the margins are at the top. It literally is whoever brings their A game, the others need theirs to stay with the winner.

He will definitely win again, whether he wins consistently or adds to his majors really depends on whether he can do something with his short game. It was astonishing to see a top golfer miss the green from 61 yards on the 10th.

As previously said it’s called trolling.

On your previous post of not converting in any of the last 7 times he was in the final group you really have to look at how the others played and how far behind he was. Last night he definitely should have put more pressure on in the early stages but DJ was as close to unbeatable as I’ve ever seen anyone last night.

Remind me wrote: »
    As previously said it’s called trolling.

On your previous post of not converting in any of the last 7 times he was in the final group you really have to look at how the others played and how far behind he was. Last night he definitely should have put more pressure on in the early stages but DJ was as close to unbeatable as I’ve ever seen anyone last night.
    This. You can play as well as possible, but if your opponent is draining long putts that they'd normally be expected to miss and you're getting closer and also draining them, well it's just running to stand still. You need three stonking good rounds to win a tournament (very seldom do players have four) and Rory had two and a bit. Golf is like herding chickens. You get one bit right and another bit gets away from you. The trick is to keep all the chickens as close together as possible and be prepared for one of them to make a break for it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

This. You can play as well as possible, but if your opponent is draining long putts that they'd normally be expected to miss and you're getting closer and also draining them, well it's just running to stand still. You need three stonking good rounds to win a tournament (very seldom do players have four) and Rory had two and a bit. Golf is like herding chickens. You get one bit right and another bit gets away from you. The trick is to keep all the chickens as close together as possible and be prepared for one of them to make a break for it. :)

Ẁasn't he 4 shots ahead at one stage but then 4 putted from 15 feet?
    Didn't he a miss a green from under 70 yards right after DJ stitched it?

Again no one is saying he isnt one of the best, but posters keep telling us that he simply is the best and that he is unbeatable when he plays well and frankly its just nonsense.

GreeBo wrote: »
    Ẁasn't he 4 shots ahead at one stage but then 4 putted from 15 feet?
    Didn't he a miss a green from under 70 yards right after DJ stitched it?

Again no one is saying he isnt one of the best, but posters keep telling us that he simply is the best and that he is unbeatable when he plays well and frankly its just nonsense.

Well no, that's actually the complete opposite to the general narrative tbh. You have posters saying he's not competitive and he'll never win again while those posters defending him acknowledge that he has flaws and can achieve more.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭galwayllm

I'm not trolling, it's my opinion! And my opinion is as valid as anyone's on an open forum.

In my opinion Rory has peaked, he can't lead form the front as he's shown many many times!

He can turn it on when it's all but over for him. Great good job Rory!! Not!

He's not an elite golfer anymore!

And I'm delighted.... Anyone but Rory for me!

He's an elite Bottler!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Well no, that's actually the complete opposite to the general narrative tbh. You have posters saying he's not competitive and he'll never win again while those posters defending him acknowledge that he has flaws and can achieve more.

Yes exactly.

You've got people almost saying he's a disgrace even when he's achieving top 5s and 10s.

Let's get it into prospective - yesterday was a WGC - the nature of the WGC qualifying criteria is that you will have a decent field.

He came 2nd.

I'm not trolling, it's my opinion! And my opinion is as valid as anyone's on an open forum.

In my opinion Rory has peaked, he can't lead form the front as he's shown many many times!

He's an elite Bottler!

Define Elite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

He's an elite Bottler!

Not an elite golfer. Wow.
    Whats your handicap.

I personally don't think he has lived up to the hype that was around him 6-7 years ago but in reality I don't think any player could. The level of competition playing every week is the best it has every been so coming second against the best players in the work is not exactly failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

If you ignore the obvious trolling then thats not the general narrative at all tbf.

The argument that Im seeing is "at his best is he the best in the world?", I'm strongly arguing no.

Another way of looking at the argument is, "Is he underachieving". Again I'm not so sure, I don't think you can judge someone by a level that they only rarely achieve and haven't in a considerable time. Like when do you accept that that is behind/beyond them now?

GreeBo wrote: »
    If you ignore the obvious trolling then thats not the general narrative at all tbf.

The argument that Im seeing is "at his best is he the best in the world?", I'm strongly arguing no.

Another way of looking at the argument is, "Is he underachieving". Again I'm not so sure, I don't think you can judge someone by a level that they only rarely achieve and haven't in a considerable time. Like when do you accept that that is behind/beyond them now?

As I highlighted yesterday, I don't think the posts I replied to are trolls and the person who people think is trolling explicitly replied saying they're not trolling?
    Yet those posts still exhibit clear flaws in their critiques of him.

Most of those (at least to me) that are "pro McIlroy" seem to acknowledge he has flaws but also acknowledge he's clearly a top player, essentially top 10 for 10 years. Nobody is saying anything as hyperbolic as those we'll call "anti McIlroy".

Can you highlight the posts that echo what you're saying?? I didn't see any recent post that said he's the best when he plays his best.
    He's certainly one of the best but he's one of the best all of the time because he's one of the top 10 golfers in the world.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

we have report post button, hit if you think someone is trolling.

He's an elite Bottler!
    You can only lead from the front. It's completely impossible to lead from the back. :pac:

You can only lead from the front. It's completely impossible to lead from the back. :pac:

He is saying Mcilroy can’t hold on to a lead when he is in front.

And seen as you are being smart, technically in golf it is possible to lead from further back by the way, have you ever heard of “clubhouse leader”?, that is the highest score posted by a player who is finished, that might be 5 shots back from the leader on the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

He lost to a guy playing some of his best golf ever. Dj dropped 3 shots all week. 1 bogey and a dbl and still won by 5.
    I see Rory winning multiple times this year and most definitely not a bottler.

• Advertisement

Dav010 wrote: »
    He is saying Mcilroy can’t hold on to a lead when he is in front.

And seen as you are being smart, technically in golf it is possible to lead from further back by the way, have you ever heard of “clubhouse leader”?, that is the highest score posted by a player who is finished, that might be 5 shots back from the leader on the course.

TBF that part of Galwayllm posts is probably the least worrisome.
    Overall his utterances thus far leave quite a bit to be desired in terms of actual value added to the conversation.
    Someone who explicitly states they wish that a player doesn't win is probably someone who's points are worth defending imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement